No Nukes News: Rudolph the Radioactive Reindeer

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Dec 24 14:21:59 EST 2018

Dec. 22, 1028

☢ We need your help to get Ontario back on track to a sustainable future Please consider us for an end-of-year donation. We can't do this work without you. Thank you!
- Angela and Jack

The World

☢ Rudolph the radioactive reindeer Dosed by Chernobyl and atomic tests, reindeer and their herders are carrying a heavy nuclear burden.

☢ Should We Subsidize Nuclear Power to Fight Climate Change? That’s what some are advocating, but the arguments in favor of doing so are flawed.

☢ We stopped nuclear power at the COP24 Global Climate Summit Fortunately, nuclear power was rejected as a climate solution at the UN climate discussions in Poland earlier this month.

☢ In Thousands of Years, What Will We Do With Nuclear Waste? 7 min. excerpt from the documentary film Containment.

☢ Fukushima evacuees forced back into unacceptably high radiation zones “It is important to understand that the Fukushima disaster is actually an ongoing disaster. The radioactive particles deposited on the ground in March 2011 are still there, and in Japan, millions of people are living on territories that received significant contamination.”

☢ 60 Minutes covers Fukushima’s Ghost Towns and Turning to Robots

☢ Why we should reject nuclear power Nuclear power is not carbon-free; is prohibitively expensive; all projects overrun wildly on both time and budget; is a source of harmful waste which no one yet knows what to do with; provides a terrorist target; produces routine emissions which are harmful to health; power plants are vulnerable to the flooding which will come as sea levels rise, and have to close down in times of drought; Chernobyl and Fukushima have shown the widespread and long-term health and environmental impact of accidents; and even nuclear advocates have recently admitted the close links to nuclear weapons.

☢ Nuclear industry decline inevitable global trend The global nuclear industry has been declining in the face of a decreasing number of new reactors in recent years, leaving more room for growth in the decommissioning sector.

☢ Erroneous message from Canada’s nuclear regulator could allow nuclear energy projects to escape federal environmental assessment A blog by the Canadian Environmental Law Association

☢ Japan to scrap Turkey nuclear project Another one down...

☢ UK's dream is now its nuclear nightmare Nobody knows what to do with a vast uranium and plutonium stockpile built up in the UK by reprocessing spent fuel. It is now a nuclear nightmare.

☢ At least 340,000 Americans died from radioactive fallout between 1951 and 1973 The new research tracked an unlikely vector for radioactive transmission: dairy cows.

☢ Energy Department Plan to Reclassify Nuclear Waste Worries Environmentalists The Trump administration proposal to lower the status of some high-level radioactive waste would make disposal cheaper and easier and save decades of work by essentially leaving the deadly material in the ground. More here.

☢ You Can’t Nuke Global Warming This new website collects all the resources to defend why nuclear cannot and should not be considered a climate solution.Ontario

☢ Phasing out dirty coal was smart. Stalling on climate action is not We can address the climate crisis and keep our economy humming by pursuing three smart actions: 1. Keep Premier Ford’s promise to reduce our electricity costs by 12% by buying Quebec water power and investing in energy efficiency to make increasing use of zero-emission electricity cost effective. 2. Direct Enbridge Gas and Union Gas to ramp up their energy efficiency programs to reduce our natural gas costs by $85 billion and lower our natural gas-related GHG emissions by 18% by 2030. 3. Develop a strategy to make Ontario a world leader in the development, production and sale of electric vehicles.

☢ Rural Ontario may soon tap into natural gas “To meet our climate targets we need to be on a road to phase out natural gas consumption,” Jack Gibbons, chair of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance, said. “We should be really focused on energy conservation, home energy retrofits . . . and switching to renewable fuels.”

☢ Quebec and Ontario have much to gain from energy co-operation By working together, they can grow their economies, create jobs, lower Ontario’s electricity bills and increase Hydro-Québec’s profits.Renewables and Conservation

☼ 100% Renewable Energy across Europe is More Cost Effective than the Current Energy System and Leads to Zero Emissions Before 2050

☼ Renewables a better option than nuclear, French environment agency says France will save $44.5 billion if it replaces its all its aging nukeswith renewables.

☼ Kenya aims to achieve 100% green energy transition in just two years Kenya plans to connect its entire power grid to renewables by 2020. Currently, 70% of the nation’s electricity comes from renewables largely from geothermal power generation.

☼ The 100% renewable energy movement is unstoppable Cincinnati has become the 100th U.S. city to set a goal to move to 100% renewable energy. This sets the stage for the debate to shift to what resources we will use to decarbonize, and how quickly we will move.

☼ In California new homes are required to install solar panels starting in 2020 An in-depth analysis found that requiring solar would be cost-effective in all climate zones of the state, and that homeowners would save $40 each month, or roughly $500 per year, due to the new rules.

☼ German solar power is a sunrise market Germany has belied its status as a country with the fewest hours of sunshine in the world to become one of the planet’s largest solar power producers.

☼ Alberta announces $1.2B in new wind energy projects Alberta just bought wind at the ground-breaking low price of 3.9 cents/kWh which will create 1000 jobs. Meanwhile back in Ontario, we're rebuilding our aging risky nukes for 16.5 cents/kWh. Duh.

☼ Scottish wind power breaks 100% output milestone Wind output in Scotland has broken through the 100% threshold for the first time with 109% of total electricity demand being met from renewables.

☼ Africa’s desert solar initiative set to provide electricity to 250m people   Take Action!

☢ Petition to Premier Ford Premier Ford must develop a strategy to ensure that Ontario rapidly becomes a world leader in the production and use of EVs (electric vehicles) and other low-carbon technologies.

☢ Canadian Government must protect our rivers from radioactive waste Please sign the petition to protect the Ottawa and Winnipeg Rivers currently threatened by three Canadian Nuclear Laboratories’ (CNL’s) nuclear waste dump proposals.

☢ Calling Citizen Scientists for Radiation Collection Project We’re looking for citizen radiation monitors. A 1-day workshop to build bGeigie Nano radiation sensors will take place in Jan. 2019, (in Oshawa or Toronto). We're looking both for keen workshop participants interested in contributing to citizen science, and for funders whose support can help make the workshop possible for those who can't afford it. For more info see here. If interested in the workshop (either as a participant, or as a funder), please contact mcneill.janet at gmail.com

☢ Sign our petitions to Close Pickering and to Buy Quebec Power. And share them with your friends. Watch our 2 min. video here.Events

☢ The Anthropocene On till Jan 6th, 2019 at the AGO in Toronto, and at the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa until Feb. 24, 2019. A major new contemporary art exhibition that tells the story of human impact on the Earth through film, photography, and new experiential technologies. Includes nuclear waste.

☢ Militarism in the Media Webinar Tues. Jan. 15, 8 - 9 p.m. EST. Militarism, violence, and war are pervasive in pop culture and the entertainment industry. The mainstream news media largely refuse to critique skyrocketing military spending and the vast negative impacts of perpetual warfare. Join World Beyond War for this panel discussion.

☢ Renewable Energy 100 Q&A Sun. Jan. 27, 2 - 3 p.m. EST Webinar. Join renewable energy experts for an informal Q&A session: Energy efficiency for your home; Various types of renewable energy technologies; How to determine which technology best fits your need.
 follow on Twitter | friend on Facebook | forward to a friend

You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.
Our mailing address is: Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada
Add us to your address book