T.O. Greenspiration Events: Sparking Change

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 10 23:18:53 EST 2019

The Green New Deal, explained

This is a really really excellent coverage of everything you want and need to know about the proposed Green New Deal to tackle the climate crisis in America.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/12/21/18144138/green-new-deal-alexandria-ocasio-cortez

What is a Green New Deal?

2 min. video and explainer by Canada's LEAP

The Green New Deal is an ambitious plan for how we can eliminate poverty and create millions of jobs while tackling the biggest threat of our time: climate change.  It involves massive public investment in clean energy, transit and climate adaptation work. But the vision is bigger than that: it’s about transforming our entire economy to be safer and more fair, and give everyone a better life. First proposed in the U.S., the Green New Deal is now spreading around the world.

https://theleap.org/portfolio-items/green-new-deal/?&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=GND&ea.tracking.id=email

Green New Deal Envisions Net-Zero Emissions in 10 Years Through WWII-Scale Effort

https://theenergymix.com/2019/02/08/green-new-deal-envisions-net-zero-emissions-in-10-years-through-wwii-scale-effort/

_______________________

_______________________

How carbon pricing helps Canada fight climate change

The what, why, when, who and how of carbon pricing in Canada and around the world and why it works.

https://ecofiscal.ca/carbon-pricing-works/

What's wrong with carbon pricing in Canada? From an enviro's perspective

Channeling his inner John Oliver, our Climate Campaigner Peter McCartney is talking about carbon pricing and more specifically all the tricksy ways the biggest polluters find to avoid it.

https://www.facebook.com/wildernesscommittee/videos/vb.54578722992/335610403718664/?type=2&theater

_______________________

_______________________

Union Pitches Postal Stations as Local Green Hubs

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers is trying to sell Canada Post on a plan to connect neighbourhood post offices to a greener, more just future by expanding their services to include community banking and electric vehicle charging stations.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/02/08/union-pitches-postal-stations-as-local-green-hubs/

_______________________

_______________________

Environmentalists in Residence

Toronto Public Library is on the search again for two Environmentalists in Residence (EnvIR) for 2019. Find out more and apply here:

https://torontopubliclibrary.bonfirehub.ca/opportunities/20554

Deadline to apply is Feb 15.

_______________________

_______________________

In Venezuela, White Supremacy Is a Key Driver of the Coup

https://truthout.org/articles/in-venezuela-white-supremacy-is-a-key-driver-of-the-coup/?utm_source=sharebuttons&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=mashshare&fbclid=IwAR1kVQa4lboEgpQ_VGSfkHJsVTpX0_MrZxdq4euL50p6Z6UZd-odI6VA_c8

_______________________

_______________________

Solidarity with Unist'to'en

Monday Feb. 11, 11a.m.

Allan Gardens

On Monday January 7 2019,  the world watched in horror as militarized RCMP descended onto unceded Wet’suwet’en territories with heavy assault rifles to clear the way for Coastal Gas Link to start pipeline construction work. It's been a hard few weeks watching from afar as CGL bulldozes through traplines and the RCMP continues their intimidation tactics. While it can feel so far away, here in Toronto we have plenty of ways to show up and put on pressure. As the Unist'ot'en Camp says, "This fight is far from over." We demand: - A stop work order for CGL. - That UNDRIP be respected. - CGL and RCMP off Wet'suwet'en territory. Let's show up in support and action.

_______________________

_______________________

The Sky's the Limit

Mon. Feb. 11, 6:30 pm

Annette Library, 145 Annette St.

How can we safeguard and advance ambitious and equitable climate action in Toronto? Councillor Perks will be joining us for a discussion about the structure of the new Council and committees, and potential impacts on civic engagement and truly addressing climate change. What should local residents expect from our municipal government in the context of the change in our provincial government, and of the IPCC’s Special Report on 1.5º C Global Warming? The last Council unanimously passed the TransformTO climate plan, and assigned funding for it. Cities around the world are leading on climate action, some declaring climate emergencies. How can we work together to safeguard and advance ambitious and equitable climate action in Toronto?

http://green13toronto.org/event/skys-limit

_______________________

_______________________

As Black as Resistance - Toronto Book Launch

Mon. Feb. 11, 7 - 9 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor W, 12th floor, Nexus Lounge

As Black As Resistance makes the case for a new program of self-defense and transformative politics for Black Americans, one rooted in an anarchistic framework that the authors liken to the Black experience itself. This book argues against compromise and negotiation with intolerance. It is a manifesto for everyone who is ready to continue progressing towards liberation.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2300051020019211/

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Education Public Meeting

Mon. Feb. 11, 7 - 8:30 p.m.

Riverdale Presbyterian Church, 662 Pape Ave.

This Public Meeting will focus on the full day Kindergarten and the lifting the caps on class sizes in our elementary schools. Come hear from politicians, teachers and parents about the need to protect our public education system. Speakers include: TDSB Trustee Jennifer Story, MPP Peter Tabuns, Elementary Teachers Toronto President Joy Lachica, and a representative from Toronto East Enders for Child Care.

_______________________

_______________________

Defending Our Environment: Community Forum

Tues. Feb. 12, 6:30 - 8 p.m.

Bishop Marrocco/Thomas Merton School, 1515 Bloor St W

Thanks to the hard work of grassroots organizations, environmental activists, farmers, and people like you, we won a tremendous victory! Doug Ford’s government has promised to remove provisions from Bill 66 that would have punched holes in the Greenbelt and put our drinking water at risk. But what remains in Bill 66 threatens the health and safety of our children, of workers and tenants. As well, previous action taken by the Ford government is dragging us backward in fighting climate change. Join MPP Karpoche and special guests to unpack what is in Bill 66 and to learn from successful grassroots campaigns so that we can take action together. Other speakers include: Peter Tabuns, MPP Toronto—Danforth, Tim Gray, Environmental Defence, Nil Sendil, $15 $ Fairness Campaign. Topics include: Taking action on climate change, Lessons learned from saving the Greenbelt, Changes to workers’ rights, Raising caps on home child care, Protections that stop tenants from getting gouged on their hydro bills.

https://www.bhutilakarpoche.ca/defending_our_environment

_______________________

_______________________

Homeless Memorial for an hour of remembrance and advocacy

Tues. Feb. 12, noon

Church of the Holy Trinity, 19 Trinity Square (beside the Eaton Centre)

This outside vigil will be followed by a solemn procession to City Hall to tell Mayor Tory to ACT on the homelessness emergency and to STOP these preventable deaths. As part of our campaign to “Have a Heart For the Homeless”, we ask that you draw or cut out hearts on paper and cardboard and bring them with you. Lunch will be provided.

_______________________

_______________________

Harm Reduction as Social Justice – Prisons

Tuesday, February 12, 12 - 3 pm

Oakham House, 63 Gould Street, Oakham Lounge, 2nd Floor

This lunch-and-learn event will engage students, faculty, activists, researchers, prison in-reach workers, and formerly incarcerated people in a discussion about harm reduction in Canadian prisons. Topics explored will include mass incarceration, drug policies, human rights, prison needle-exchange programs, drug use, discharge planning, and overdoses. A short video will be played of a current prisoner.  Lunch will be catered by Salad King, and there will be a resource table with harm reduction and safer sex supplies and information. Free.

Contact: Alannah Fricker at cssdp at ryerson.ca

https://www.facebook.com/events/2274543842827635/

_______________________

_______________________

Health Care for Migrants: National Day of Action - Toronto

Tues. Feb. 12, noon - 1 p.m.

Immigration and Refugee Board, 74 Victoria St.

Join us for rallies across Canada on February 12th at 12pm as the health community calls on the federal government to stop the denial of healthcare on the basis of immigration status!

https://www.facebook.com/events/528757717635083/

_______________________

_______________________

Why Ontario Needs A Student Strike

Wed. Feb. 13, 7 – 9 pm

Sidney Smith Hall, 100 St. George Street, Room 1084, U of T

On Jan. 17, the Ford government announced a series of cuts to post-secondary education, primarily impacting low-income students. In order to stifle his opposition, Ford also announced measures that would undermine funding for student unions, student newspapers and campus clubs. Inspired by the Quebec Student Strike of 2012, many have floated the idea of an Ontario Student Strike in order to stop Ford’s attacks. With such a callous enemy in the Ford regime, increasing numbers of students are realizing that they may have no other option.

https://www.facebook.com/events/286563732027849/

_______________________

_______________________

Filing a Freedom Of Information Request

Wed. February 13, 6 - 9 pm

OISE, 252 Bloor St W, Rm 8170

Social justice work can take many forms, including journalistic and legal approaches. Filing a Freedom of Information Request is a basic and crucial skill for anyone looking to do this sort of work. It is not immediately obvious, even in the government's own rules, sometimes what is and isn't possible when filing a FIPPA request. Often times there are a slew of approaches and do's and don'ts that aren't written down or explained anywhere. Simply because, institutions don't actually want to give you these documents so they will exploit loopholes and weaknesses within the law. In this workshop you will learn about the basics and secret tips and tricks to getting the information you want and you need to make your case.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2043413669046530/

https://www.eventbrite.ca/publish?crumb=0d4ad7abb1aef3&eid=55165096288

_______________________

_______________________

The Nexus between Climate Action & Gender Equality: A Dialogue

Wed. Feb. 13, 2:30 - 5 p.m.

Tecumseh Auditorium - Oakham House, 63 Gould Street

Did you know that the number one solution to global warming is educating girls and family planning? Join Drawdown Toronto, a project of Unify Toronto, The Ontario Council for International Cooperation (OCIC), and the Ryerson Leadership Lab to expand our thinking and mobilize on climate change solutions relating to women and girls.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-nexus-between-climate-action-gender-equality-a-dialogue-tickets-55193936550?mc_cid=510d29b4c5&mc_eid=48c86714b8

_______________________

_______________________

UN Climate Governance from the Kyoto Protocol to Paris Agreement

Wed. Feb. 13, 12:10 pm

University College (U of T), Rm 161, 15 King's College Circle

The legal and political architecture of UN climate governance has evolved rapidly from the 1997 Kyoto Protocol to the 2015 Paris Agreement. Mechanisms to advance ambition on mitigation, climate finance, and adaptation have shifted from a differentiated or legally binding approach to one that has greater flexibility.  This seminar discussion provides a descriptive account of the history of climate negotiations spanning twenty years. In doing so, the seminar investigates two questions. What does the new, 21stcentury negotiation regime mean for achieving the global goal of keeping the global average temperature to well below 2 °C? Second, what emerging and complementary models can enhance the effectiveness of this new post-Paris approach? Speaker: Joanna Dafoe, Yale Law School

_______________________

_______________________

Vegan Valentine's Day action for Amazon rainforests

Thur. Feb. 14, 11:30 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Brazilian Consulate In Toronto, 77 Bloor St. West,

Be the Amazon rainforest’s Valentine. Show your love to Mother Earth this Valentine’s Day by joining a day of acton around the world against Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro's plans to destroy the Amazon rainforest. The Climate Save Movement and coalition partners are organizing global actions at Brazilian embassies and consulates around the world and at the UN building in NYC on February 14, 2019. The Amazon rainforest is the lungs of the Planet. The heart stops beating when the lungs die. If the world went vegan, we'd have a great chance in saving this and other precious forests. Also, land would be freed up from growing animal feed for reforestation and re-wilding.

Please sign the petition: https://bit.ly/2EyRKnA

https://www.facebook.com/events/989811537884545/

_______________________

_______________________

Young and Rising: PowerShift

Join us from Thursday, February 14 through Monday, February 18, 2019 for PowerShift: Young and Rising, a four day climate justice convergence being held in Ottawa, on the land of the Algonquin Anishinabe.

https://powershiftcan.nationbuilder.com/register

_______________________

_______________________

14th Annual February 14th Strawberry Ceremony for mmiwg2s

Thur. Feb. 14, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m.

Toronto Police Headquarters, 40 College Street (near Yonge)

Please leave your agency, institutional and organisation banners at home and instead make signs in honour of women, girls, trans and two-spirit people who have died violent and premature deaths. Singers, song keepers and drummers please bring your drums for the ceremony. Drummers from the organising committee, with the direction of Wanda, will be leading songs. Jingle dress dancers are also called to join on the march. Please contact us if you can participate so protocols can be observed.

https://www.facebook.com/events/330574770868854/

_______________________

_______________________

Shades of Our Sisters, Honouring Mmiwgt2s

Fri. Feb. 15, 6 - 9 p.m.

St. James Cathedral, 106 King Street East

Join us for an evening to honour missing and murdered Indigenous Women, Girls, Transgender and Two-Spirit People through feast, candlelight vigil, art and community conversation. The exhibit will be open to the public until March 1st.

https://www.facebook.com/events/367895447333246/

https://www.shadesofoursisters.com/#/

_______________________

_______________________

Awakening the Dreamer Changing the Dream

Sat. Feb. 16, 11:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

The Inner Center, 23 Diana Drive (Keele/Sheppard)

This is a totally unique workshop -- live facilitation and participant interaction are combined with a tapestry of video interviews, drawing upon leading edge information and the wisdom of our time, with some of our most respected global elders, luminaries and leaders.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/awakening-the-dreamer-changing-the-dream-tickets-54811915916?utm_term=eventurl_text&mc_cid=e173a1cb5a&mc_eid=48c86714b8

_______________________

_______________________

NWIA First Annual Round Dance

Sat. Feb. 16, 6 pm - midnight

Kerr Hall Gymnasium, Ryerson University, 379 Victoria Street

Native Women in the Arts is pleased to announce its first annual Round Dance to honour and celebrate Indigenous women in our communities. It will include a special showcase with legendary singer Delia Waskewitch, a pipe ceremony, a feast, a giveaway, and a 50/50 draw. A Round Dance is a social gathering with ceremonial aspects hosted during the winter months. It was traditionally used by the Cree Nation as a healing dance. Its original purpose was to heal and also to honor loved ones who had passed on so that families could grieve in the proper way. It is said that when the circle of the Round Dance is made the ancestors are dancing with you.

https://www.facebook.com/events/339048276710827/

_______________________

_______________________

Family Day: Sparking Change - The Next Generation of Youth Activists

Mon. Feb. 18, 4:30 pm

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

If the past year has proven anything, it is that if we are going to make our world a better place, young people are almost certainly going to lead the charge. Join us for a lively discussion with some of Toronto’s most inspiring young activists—all working to be the change they want to see.  Free.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=82659~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Outreach&utm_campaign=HDCSeries&utm_content=FDSparkingChange

_______________________

_______________________

World Beyond War’s “War Abolition 101” Online Course

Sign up for this 6-week online course, running from February 18 to March 31, which provides an opportunity to learn from, dialogue with, and strategize for change with World BEYOND War experts, peer activists, and changemakers from around the world.

https://worldbeyondwar.org/downloads/war-abolition-101-online-course-registration/

_______________________

_______________________

Your 2019 guide to Black History Month arts and culture in Toronto

Films, parties, theatre, exhibits and more.

https://www.cbc.ca/arts/your-2019-guide-to-black-history-month-arts-and-culture-1.5000909

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/