T.O. Greenspiration Events: 100% Renewables are Doable

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 17 00:14:17 EDT 2019

How Can We Reach 100% Renewable Energy? MUST WATCH

Movements such as the Green New Deal pushing for 100% renewables are gaining momentum. Stanford's Mark Z. Jacobson says we have the technology to get to 80% renewables by 2030 and 100% by 2050. 20 min. video.

https://therealnews.com/stories/can-we-reach-100-renewable-energy

Ontario could go 100% renewable by buying Quebec's water power

Quebec's surplus renewable power is a fraction of the cost of rebuilding and extending our aging nukes. By replacing Pickering and Darlington nuclear stations with QC power, we could save $3.7 Billion per year. These savings would dwarf the Ford cuts of $1.9 Billion per year. Sign our petition.

http://www.cutthecuts.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Time to Change the Debate

We’re in a climate emergency. So let’s start acting like it. The federal election is around the corner. We need a leaders’ debate on climate change and the only real solution to this crisis is a Green New Deal for Canada. Sign the petition.

https://our-time.ca/change-debate/

Pope Francis declares 'climate emergency' and urges action

The Pope is taking leadership on the climate crisis and met with oil industry CEOs. The chief executives or chairs of BP, ExxonMobil, Shell, Total, ConocoPhilips, Chevron and several major investors including BlackRock and Hermes, responded by calling on governments to put in place carbon pricing to encourage low-carbon innovation, and called for greater financial transparency to aid investors.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/jun/14/pope-francis-declares-climate-emergency-and-urges-action

1 Million Animal And Plant Species Are At Risk Of Extinction, U.N. Report Says

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/06/720654249/1-million-animal-and-plant-species-face-extinction-risk-u-n-report-says?fbclid=IwAR1JDTyV_WxsSFaSAkT3WZaKJ9UZ_m7jWPr6dHFNUjE4YDz2mw6itWr7M9c

_______________________

_______________________

It Could Take 2,800 Years to Clean Alberta’s Old Oil and Gas Wells

To speed the clean up process, regulators would have to mandate a stricter schedule—but that could cost tens of billions of dollars, much of it coming from taxpayers, says Regan Boychuk, oil sands expert and Reclaim Alberta co-founder

https://therealnews.com/stories/it-could-take-2800-years-to-clean-albertas-old-oil-and-gas-wells

Billion Dollar Buyout: How Canadian taxpayers bought a climate-killing pipeline and Trump’s trade deal supports it

Gordon Laxer's reports are always brilliant. This one is about the Trans Mountain oil pipeline expansion. The Trudeau govt has promised it will make a decision on the pipeline expansion by June 18. There's a really great 3 min. handimation explaining what the Trans Mountain pipeline is all about. Watch it here.

https://canadians.org/billion-dollar-buyout

Chair of TC-Energy Board of Director's Rosedale front lawn turned into destruction zone

Rising Tide destroyed the director's front lawn on Sat. in solidarity with Wet'suwet'en First Nation whose land is being threatened for a gas pipeline. They also postered and flyered the neighbourhood to bring attention to one the people behind the ongoing violence occurring on Wet'suwet'en territory.

https://www.facebook.com/RisingTideToronto/posts/2225333497574584?__tn__=K-R

_______________________

_______________________

'There is no water. Why should people stay here?'

The crippling drought in Maharashtra, India is part of a larger climate catastrophe which has gripped India. More than 40% of the land, by one estimate, is facing drought and more than 500 million people living in at least 10 states are badly affected. Estimates suggest up to 90% of the area’s population has fled, leaving the sick and elderly to fend for themselves in the face of a water crisis that shows no sign of abating. One of the regions most severely affected is Marathwada, where the drought has driven more than 4,700 farmers to suicide in the last five years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-48552199

https://theenergymix.com/2019/06/13/villages-evacuate-leaving-sick-and-elderly-behind-as-indias-crippling-drought-deepens/

Take the Boycott Nestlé pledge - Water for life, not for profit!

Nestlé, a giant bottled water corporation, continues to pump hundreds of millions of litres of groundwater every year from aquifers in Ontario and British Columbia. In Ontario - without a permit - Nestlé pays less than one-twentieth of a penny per litre of water and then resells it for up to $2 per bottle. Every year, Nestlé ships hundreds of millions of single-use plastic bottles out of the community for sale all over North America for huge profits. Join the boycott to stop Nestlé’s bottled water grab.

https://secure.canadians.org/page/20925/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

Ottawa to Ban Single-Use Plastics as Soon as 2021

Plastic straws, cotton swabs, drink stirrers, plates, cutlery, and balloon sticks are just some of the single-use plastics that will be banned in Canada. Also, fast food containers and cups made of expanded polystyrene, which is similar to white styrofoam, will be banned.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/06/09/breaking-ottawa-to-ban-single-use-plastics-by-2021/

_______________________

_______________________

Canada bans whale, dolphin captivity

Thank you Elizabeth May​! "Canadians have been clear, they want the cruel practice of keeping whales and dolphins in captivity to end. With the passage of Bill S-203, we have ensured that this will happen. The science increasingly tells us that it constitutes cruelty to animals to take these cetaceans and keep them in confined spaces."

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/447791-canada-bans-whale-dolphin-captivity-in-the-country

_______________________

_______________________

Amsterdam to Cut 10,000 Parking Spaces by 2025, Faces No Serious Pushback

Two months after Amsterdam officials announced plans to cut some 10,000 parking spaces in the city core by 2025, pavements are rapidly blossoming with garden plots, children at play, and citizens delighted to have more space to move and mingle.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/06/11/amsterdam-to-cut-10000-parking-spaces-by-2025-faces-no-serious-pushback/

_______________________

_______________________

This is Meat-Free Week

Sign the pledge to eat less meat and dairy for a healthier future and instantly receive your free Greenpeace guide to delicious plant-based protein. It includes easy recipe ideas, nutrition guidance, and simple tips for eating more healthy veggies.

https://act.greenpeace.org/page/25713/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

Die-in in protest of TMX Pipeline

Monday June 17, 4:30 p.m.

Morneau Bill MP's Office, 430 Parliament St.

The vote on the Trans Mountain Pipeline is the next day, so let's die-in in front of the budget Minister's office to our opposition.

https://www.facebook.com/events/353398222034689/

_______________________

_______________________

Extinction Rebellion Toronto Orientation

Mon. June 17, 6 - 8 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor W, Room 5240, U of T

Wondering what Extinction Rebellion Toronto is all about?  Hoping to find out how to get involved?  This is a crash course on the movement's origins and impacts in the UK, it's demands and principles, how the Toronto group is structured and how you can join a working group or start your own affinity group and leap into action immediately.

https://rebellion.earth/the-truth/about-us/

https://www.facebook.com/events/453020432129458/

_______________________

_______________________

Green New Deal Town Hall in Junction

Monday, June 17, 7:30 - 9:30 pm

61 Heintzman Street, Toronto

Join us for a town hall meeting to help shape the vision for a Green New Deal for Canada. This event is one of many Green New Deal town halls being held in communities across the country in May 2019. The conversation is being led from the ground up through town halls bringing together people from all walks of life to discuss our vision for a new economy -- one that cuts global warming pollution, sees the full implementation of the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, the Right to Free Prior and Informed Consent, and the TRC recommendations, creates millions of green jobs, and makes sure no one gets left behind. The input from these town halls will be used to inform a vision for a Green New Deal for all.

https://act.greennewdealcanada.ca/town-halls/toronto548/

_______________________

_______________________

The Ten Green Commandments of Laudato Si’

Tues. June 18 1:15 - 2:45 p.m.

Webinar

This will be a discussion with Fr. Joshtrom Isaac Kureethadam, author of The Ten Green Commandments of Laudato Si’, Pope Frances’s second encyclical,  “On Care for Our Common Home,” which asks “every person living on this planet” to begin a dialogue about the future of our world. The webinar is hosted by the Parliament of the World's Religions.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5974557467877179906

_______________________

_______________________

SolarShare AGM

Tuesday, June 18, 6 - 9 p.m.

The Atrium at CSI Spadina, 192 Spadina

The Board of Directors and staff welcome you to this annual event where we'll discuss our performance over the past year, share plans for the future, answer your questions, and celebrate the start of summer over hors d'oeuvres and drinks.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/solarshare-annual-general-meeting-2019-tickets-60069595778

_______________________

_______________________

RaBIT Celebration and Fundraiser

Tues. June 18, 6 - 8 p.m.

The Samara Centre for Democracy, 33 Prince Arthur Ave

RaBIT (Ranked Ballot Initiative of Toronto) has lots to celebrate! The past 12 months have seen enormous progress for voting reform here in Toronto and across Ontario. A majority of Toronto City Council has now publicly promised to implemented ranked ballots in time for the 2022 municipal election. The nearby cities of Kingston and Cambridge held referenda in which 63% and 56% of voters, respectively, endorsed moving to a ranked ballot system. Both cities are now moving towards implementation. Most impressively, on 22 October, 2018, London, Ontario held the first modern ranked ballot election in Canada. And it was a smashing success.

https://www.rabit.ca/june_fundraiser

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Wide Organizing Meeting - Hosted by Fight for $15 & Fairness and Decent Work and Health Network

Tuesday, June 18, 5:30 – 8:30 p.m.

720 Spadina Ave

Despite the setback with Doug Ford’s Bill 47, we protected modest but important gains for workers. But Ford's attack on workers has not stopped; with the passing of Bill 66, he's made it easier for workers to work longer yet be paid less, and made it harder for workers to learn about their rights on the job. Let’s build on our impressive work to date.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2366960296696947/

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Health Coalition presents an interactive workshop

Tuesday June 18, morning

In the morning we will be filming a speech/interactive workshop in downtown Toronto. The presentations being filmed will include a speech and an interactive workshop that show how the richest in our nation have been getting richer while the middle- and lower-income workers have stayed the same or declined. We will use the videos to show how deeply Ford's cuts affect the people at a time when we need social services for the people so critically. We are looking for people to participate in the workshop and fill seats in the audience. The videos will be distributed via social media. Anyone who has an interest in attending the event can please email ohc at sympatico.ca with the subject line ATTN Devorah: Video workshop.

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Arts Festival

June 18 - 23

Fort York

Moving into its seventh year, the Indigenous Arts Festival is an annual celebration of traditional and contemporary Indigenous music, drumming, dance, theatre, storytelling, film, crafts, and food. The IAF is presented by Fort York and the Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, with the support of the Native Men's Residence (Na-Me-Res), the Native Canadian Centre of Toronto and many other partners. Free.

http://fortyork.ca/news-a-events/events.html?start=4

_______________________

_______________________

TTCriders AGM

Wed. June 19, 6 - 8 p.m

College Street United Church, 452 College Street (College and Bathurst Street)

TTCriders is a grassroots membership-based advocacy group of TTC users.  We advocate for an affordable world-class public transit system for Toronto. Help elect our Board of Directors and celebrate what we’ve accomplished in 2018.

https://www.ttcriders.ca/ttcriders-2019-annual-general-meeting-rsvp/

_______________________

_______________________

Green New Deal - Town Hall Meeting

Wed. June 19, 7:30 pm

The Redwood, 1300 Gerrard Street East (at Greenwood)

Help us create our vision for Canada's Green New Deal. In the next few weeks, across Canada, people are gathering to brainstorm possible solutions to the problems created by a changing climate. We need your ideas. The conversation is being led from the ground up through town halls bringing together people from all walks of life to discuss our vision for a new economy – one that creates millions of green jobs, centres Indigenous sovereignty and racial justice, and makes sure no one gets left behind. Speakers include Angela Bischoff, John Cartwright and Bruno Dobrusin.

_______________________

_______________________

Sing for climate action

Wed. June 19, 7. 9 p.m.

Neighbourhood Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 79 Hiawatha Road,

We have some upcoming climate action events that are crying out for organized singing! Bring your voice, your ideas, your skills, and please share with your musical communities!

https://www.facebook.com/events/302109467401233/

_______________________

_______________________

Election 2019: Engaging youth in climate action - webinar

Wed. June 19, 4:30 - 5:30 pm EST

Young voters (18-30) have more power than they may realize. Although they make up a large segment of eligible voters, they don’t tend to show up on election day as much as older voters. In this one-hour webinar, PhD law student and UBC Climate Hub student director Grace Nosek will draw on years of organizing young people and share powerful social science research on how to engage young voters in climate action that will ultimately lead to increased voter turnout. This will be particularly useful for people who want to get university students involved in the political process and for university “get out the vote” campaigns.

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/1c8ca95fdbc2fc0e34538d7d4481ef37

_______________________

_______________________

The Compassion Course Online

Presented by The New York Center For Nonviolent Communication. This One Year Course Begins June 19, 2019 and runs through June 2020. The Compassion Course is the result of my last 30 years as a writer and trainer, and the past 16 years, studying, living and teaching compassionate thought and action. It's my way of making the skills of compassionate living available to anyone, regardless of time and money constraints.

https://www.compassioncourse.org/

_______________________

_______________________

River Run 2019: Walk with Grassy Narrows for Mercury Justice!

Thur. June 20, noon - 3 p.m.

Queens Park

The devastating mercury crisis in Grassy Narrows First Nation has persisted for decades, ever since mercury was dumped into an upstream river in the 1960s. Everyone in the community suffers from the ongoing impacts of mercury poisoning on their health, culture, and livelihood.  Till this day, there has been very little government action to help the people of Grassy Narrows. This June, 40 community members will travel 1,700km from Grassy Narrows to Toronto to demand the building of a Mercury Home & Treatment Centre and compensation for everyone in Grassy Narrows for the mercury crisis. Join them in solidarity.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2277736285834885/

http://freegrassy.net/2019/04/18/walk-with-grassy-narrows-for-mercury-justice/

_______________________

_______________________

Our water is our gold

Thur. June 20, 6:30 - 9 p.m.

100 St George St

The Comité for the Defense of Water and the Santurbán Paramos speaks about defending water against multiple fronts in Bucaramanga, Colombia. The “Comite for the Defense of Water and the Santurbán Páramo” is a civic platform composed of Colombian civil society organizations which seeks the protection of “Páramo” ecosystems in Santurbán, Colombia as well as the defense of the environment and the right to water, more generally. Hailing from Bucaramanga, Colombia, it is made up of about 40 civil society organizations that in turn represent around seventy-five thousand people. For over the past decade, the Comité has been organizing to protect this Andean highland watershed, for the future generations, against mining activities, Canadian and otherwise.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2343757195947600/

_______________________

_______________________

I Am Me - by JAMII

Thursday, June 20, 7 pm

Toronto Public Library - St. Lawrence Branch (171 Front Street E)

Three Indigenous artists from different parts of Ontario discuss the importance of language when they explore the deeper meaning of “I Am Me”

https://iammeatlibrary.eventbrite.ca

_______________________

_______________________

First Nations Sunrise Ceremony

Friday, June 21, 5:30 am.

City Hall, 100 Queen Street West.

The public is encouraged to recognize the unique and important culture, traditional knowledge, contemporary accomplishments and future achievements of First Nations, Métis and Inuit

About Sunrise Ceremonies: https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/accessibility-human-rights/indigenous-affairs-office/indigenous-events-awards/sunrise-ceremony/

_______________________

_______________________

We Will Not Give Up

Fri. June 21, 2 p.m.

Dundas Square (at Yonge)

Our last weekly protest for the school year! Make sure to come, we must keep the energy going!! Bring lots of amazing signs and energy! #WeWillNotGiveUp FridaysforFuture #Climatestrike  We want to facilitate youth action on climate change in the GTA in solidarity with Greta Thurnberg in Sweden and other youth climate activists.

https://www.facebook.com/events/501504693991306/

_______________________

_______________________

International Day of Yoga - Yoga of Healing & Awakening Summit

June 21-24

Online

Top yoga experts share their vast knowledge and invaluable insights. More than 60 sessions including exclusive videos with yogis on the banks of the Holy Ganges River. Register for FREE here:

https://shiftnetwork.isrefer.com/go/yha19WTW/WTW

_______________________

_______________________

Na-Me-Res Annual Traditional Pow Wow (2019)

Sat. June 22, noon - 4 pm

Fort York

Join Na-Me-Res and Fort York for Toronto’s Annual Traditional Pow Wow in recognition of National Indigenous Peoples Day and the Summer Solstice. Every year, thousands of people attend the celebration to enjoy traditional food and watch more than 100 drummers and dancers perform. The day-long event includes a Sunrise Ceremony, a Grand Entry (12 noon), craft vendors and a community feast to end the day. After the Pow Wow stay for an evening concert featuring the best in contemporary Indigenous music. Free.

http://fortyork.ca/news-a-events/events.html?start=4

_______________________

_______________________

Training for Kitchen Table climate Conversation Campaign

Sat. June 22, 10 - 4 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave

This is a training day for a campaign we want to roll out across the province to encourage conversation and action on the climate crisis. Our goal is to see hundreds, even thousands of conversations take place across the province this summer and fall. Working together we can make this happen! This is an inter-generational initiative. Join the training if you would like to be a facilitator, resource person, or organizer for kitchen table conversations in the GTA or across the province.   $20 or pwyc. Email: lyn at climatefast.ca.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/kitchen-table-climate-conversations-training-day-tickets-62760284701

https://www.facebook.com/events/443307146497152/

_______________________

_______________________

Decolonizing the Heart

Sat. June 27, 9:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Toronto United Mennonite Church, 1774 Queen Street East

Reconciliation requires building relationships; building relationships requires more than coming together over issues; decolonizing our own hearts is necessary before we can work together for transformation. We begin by sharing our stories. Pay What You Can. Registrations available by email. Please do not hesitate to get in touch.

https://www.decolonizingtheheart.org/

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/decolonizing-the-heart-workshop-deep-learning-for-deep-change-tickets-60265810662

_______________________

_______________________

NVDA Training (Non-Violent Direct-Action Training)

Mon. June 24, 5 - 8 p.m.

OISE Room 5240

Prepare for a summer of disruption to make our demands heard before the fall election. A three-hour non-violent direct-action training led by seasoned social justice activist Maggie Helwig.

https://www.facebook.com/events/632001627316104/

_______________________

_______________________

4 Corners Action on Bay Street

Hosted by Extinction Rebellion Toronto

Tues. June 25, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

Bay and King

Let's remind Bay Street that simple pleasures like songs and soap bubbles easily outshine a billion dollars in fossil fuel dividends. XR (Extinction Rebellion) Toronto is inviting any and all musicians, mimes, clowns, jugglers, dancers and artists of all kinds to come down to King and Bay and perform. Why are we doing this?  Because governments, media companies and industry haven't delivered on our demands yet which include:

1. That the Media and Government tell the truth about our climate crisis.

2. That the government and businesses develop a plan that brings us to net-zero emissions by 2025.

3.  A people's assembly to oversee the transition.

https://www.facebook.com/events/355901611944051/

_______________________

_______________________

Transport Futures – Subway Planning Forum

Wed. June 26, 6:30 pm

Innis Town Hall, U of T, 2 Sussex Avenue

The Ontario government unveiled their $28.5-billion subway plan for the Toronto area in April. To ensure that proper consideration is given to this investment in the context of other transit plans that are currently underway, Transport Futures invites you to join transportation experts and politicians at our Subway Planning Forum. With the assistance of Steve Paikin, host of TVO’s The Agenda, we will debate the new plan’s pros and cons in terms of seamless and integrated transportation, smart land use, economic costs and benefits, cutting-edge technology, innovative financing, social equity, improved governance and environmental protection. Greenspiration subscribers receive a special 15% discount -- use discount code (DC) GRSP7.

http://www.transportfutures.ca/subway

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Our Fragile Planet - Toronto Public Library hosts free environmental programs

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/fragileplanet

_______________________

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/