T.O. Greenspiration Events: Climate Strike in Toronto

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Sep 22 23:09:34 EDT 2019

Friends, the world is waking up to the climate crisis. The UN is gathering in New York on Sept. 23 for a Climate Action Summit while youth around the world strike.

In Toronto, our climate strike will happen on Friday, Sept. 27, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Queens Park (details below, listed chronologically).

Don’t miss this chance to tell Canada to wake up! Besides the rally and march, there are incredible events happening every day this week. Get busy! -a

_______________________

_______________________

Greta Thunberg: ‘We are ignoring natural climate solutions’

3-minute video by Swedish activist Greta Thunberg and Guardian journalist George Monbiot says nature must be used to repair broken climate

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/19/greta-thunberg-we-are-ignoring-natural-climate-solutions

Climate Strikers Demand Climate Justice On 'Historic' Day Of Protest

Here's a report from all the climate strikes around the world yesterday - millions of strikers calling for a “rapid revolution” to prevent global warming, with fossil fuels phased out fairly and swiftly, 100% renewable energy, and everyone has access to a safe future. The concept of “climate justice” is at the heart of their demands, so that vulnerable people aren't hurt by the dramatic shifts required to transition to a zero carbon world.

https://www.desmogblog.com/2019/09/20/climate-strikers-demand-climate-justice-historic-day-action

#ClimateActionWeek Toolkit

https://care.ca/climate-action-week/

Democracy Now has done stellar interviews in the past week with Naomi Klein, Greta Thunberg, and other young climate activists. Very inspiring.

https://www.democracynow.org/topics/climate_change

'A transformational vision for the next economy': Naomi Klein on the Green New Deal

Naomi Klein is such a gift to this planet and the climate movement. Listen to this brilliant 24-min. interview with her articulating the vision of a Green New Deal and a 100% renewable future with justice for all.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-63-the-current/clip/15736608-a-transformational-vision-for-the-next-economy-naomi-klein-on-the-green-new-deal

_______________________

_______________________

Catch this one hour interview with Metta Spencer,  Gordon Edwards and me about the costs, dangers and alternatives to Ontario's 18 nuclear power reactors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn6KAkzFUsE&feature=youtu.be

_______________________

_______________________

Greens Promise 65% Carbon Cut by 2030, Fossil Subsidy Phase-out in One Year, and Nuclear Phase-out

A 65% greenhouse gas emissions cut by 2030, job transition programs for fossil workers, a ban on new pipelines, coal mining, and oil and gas drilling or mining, a nuclear phase-out, 100% renewables, and an end to fossil fuel subsidies within a year are at the centre of the election platform released this week by the federal Green Party. And they want to pay for the transition to a green economy by increasing corporate and carbon taxes.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/09/17/greens-promise-65-carbon-cut-by-2030-fossil-subsidy-phaseout-in-one-year/

_______________________

_______________________

Fair Vote Canada has a new website for Canadians to learn about their call for a National Citizens' Assembly on Electoral Reform

https://nationalcitizensassembly.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Women Climate Leaders Face ‘Green Rage’ Attacks

Why Minister McKenna needs security: the old masculine order is crumbling. Misogyny is an enforcement mechanism that seeks to punish women who challenge the traditional patriarchal order.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2019/09/16/Green-Rage-Against-Women/

_______________________

_______________________

Show Your Support for a Gender Equality Office and an Intersectional Gender Equity Strategy at Toronto City Hall

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/gender-equity

_______________________

_______________________

Protect Ontario Wolves

The Ford government is declaring open season on wolves and coyotes with an unscientific plan that is contradicted by even its own research. And the Ford government is removing all tag and reporting requirements, so we won’t even know the full impact of increased hunting. Petition.

https://secure.gpo.ca/protect-wolves-overhunting

The Crisis for Birds Is a Crisis for Us All

Nearly one-third of the wild birds in the United States and Canada have vanished since 1970, a staggering loss that suggests the very fabric of North America’s ecosystem is unraveling. The mass disappearance of North American birds is a dire warning about the planet’s well-being.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/19/opinion/crisis-birds-north-america.html

_______________________

_______________________

Pollution Controls Will Decline as Alberta Shutters Monitoring Office, Ex-Official Warns

Fascism, where corporations lead gov'ts, is in full swing in Alberta.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/09/19/pollution-controls-will-decline-as-alberta-shutters-monitoring-office-ex-official-warns/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Re-Use it

Join the waste reduction movement and help keep items out of landfill. Check this portal for organizations that accept donations near you.

https://www.toronto.ca/services-payments/recycling-organics-garbage/long-term-waste-strategy/waste-reduction/

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Basic Income Network (OBIN) is a coalition committed to seeing Basic Income implemented in Ontario by 2021. It's a bold vision of dignity and justice for every Canadian regardless of work status - and we're inviting you to join our growing community of advocates.

https://www.obin.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

There Is No Word For Wilderness

Sept 18, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25, 26 & 28 (6 pm start)

Earl Bales Park (Bathurst and Sheppard)

Rain dates: Sept 22 & 29 (6 pm start) at Earl Bales Park

There Is No Word For Wilderness is a theatrical nature walk brought to life with mask, puppetry and live music. It reflects one woman’s journey of getting lost to get found as nature reveals itself to her. Suitable for all ages and free to attend, this new play takes the audience on a trail adventure as the story unfolds around them. Centring around land/life connection it aims to raise awareness of the enormity of our problem with waste and over-consumption, while also offering the opportunity for audience members to re-connect with nature and recognize the importance of this relationship in relation to environmental justice and preservation. Following each performance, Shelba Deer gives an Anishinaabe teaching and offering to Shkagamik-Kwe (Mother Earth) around the campfire. Free. Presented by Animacy Theatre Collective and TAC Animating Toronto Parks Program

http://animacytheatrecollective.com/there-is-no-word-for-wilderness/

_______________________

_______________________

Banner Drop

Mon. Set. 23, 7 - 9 a.m.

Dufferin Bridge over the Gardiner Expressway

First Banner drop hosted by 350.org Toronto

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/banner-drop-1/

_______________________

_______________________

Mobilize Mondays

Mon. Sept. 23, 5 – 7 p.m.

Yonge-Dundas Square

Weekly blockades organized by Extinction Rebellion faith-based affinity groups every Monday until the federal election. Faith in the Future.

https://www.facebook.com/events/728005877656205/?event_time_id=728005907656202

_______________________

_______________________

UN Climate Summit: Youth Speak Out!

Mon. Sept. 23, 7 - 9 pm

60 Lowther Avenue, Friends house

September 23 is the day of the UN Climate Summit in New York City. In Toronto, we bring you a panel of seven speakers on the Youth Emergency Platform for Climate Justice.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/un-climate-summit-youth-speak-out/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Week: Road Block Dance Party

Tues. Sept 24, 5.30 - 7 pm

St George and Bloor

We hope to create an opportunity for public reflection on the climate emergency, to motivate broader public participation in Extinction Rebellion Toronto, and to demand that our government acts now to address this crisis. The goal is to disrupt business as usual in order to bring awareness to the climate crisis. Hosted by Extinction Rebellion, an international movement that uses non-violent civil disobedience to achieve radical change in order to minimize the risk of human extinction and ecological collapse.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/climate-week-roadblock-dance-party/

_______________________

_______________________

Meltdown - A Climate Change Summit

Tues. Sept. 24, 7 - 10 pm

Maanjiwe nendamowinan Building (Formerly New North) | 1210

University of Toronto Mississauga

To coincide with the week-long Global Climate Strike, this summit brings together leading environmental voices to share information, perspectives, and action plans to combat climate change. The evening will combine a keynote presentation and a panel discussion to highlight how climate change threatens individual health, the economy, ecology, and our society, and what needs to be done to address the growing challenges of life on a hotter planet.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/meltdown-a-climate-change-summit/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Crisis – Corporate Boards on the Hotseat

Wed. Sept 25, 12 - 2 pm

55 Dundas St. West, Toronto [9th floor, room TRS 3-129]

Free but register online. Ryerson CSR Institute Talk.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/ryerson-csr-institute-talk-climate-crisis-corporate-boards-on-the-hotseat/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Strike Art Build: CJTO x Tea Base

Wed. Sept 25, 5 - 8 pm

222 Spadina Ave - unit C15

With the International climate strike – General Strike for Climate - coming up on Friday 27 September, Climate Justice Toronto is partnering with Tea Base to host an open artbuild space. The space will open at 5 PM, and anyone is welcome to drop in at any time until 8 PM to help out with screen-printing banners, making and painting signs, and sharing in a free dinner.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/climate-strike-art-build-cjto-x-tea-base/

_______________________

_______________________

What does a Just Transition look like? Forum

Wed. Sept. 25, 6 - 930 p.m.

60 Lowther, Friends House

Nature continues to give us signs that we must address the climate crisis now – more and more severe storms, fires and floods, food and water scarcity. At the same time, ongoing practices like fracking and mining harm nature and people. Those least responsible for the crises are often the most affected, including Indigenous people, youth and climate refugees. Just climate action means a transition away from harmful extractive practices and a system that prioritizes economic growth over caring for the world around us and each other. What could a better world look like?

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/what-does-a-just-transition-look-like-visioning-a-green-fair-care-based-future/

_______________________

_______________________

Sustainable Careers Workshop - Opportunities in the Green Economy

Wed. Sept. 25, 5 - 8 p.m.

401 Richmond Street West. Suite 303

Do you want a career that makes a difference but don't know what's out there? Have you heard about the green economy and the changing job market and want to stay ahead of the curve? Looking to meet other young people without the pressure of a networking event? If you're between the ages of 18 and 29, come out for an evening of information sharing, career exploring, and lots of discussion about what the future may hold for companies and employees. The workshop is best suited for those interested in pursuing careers in the green economy.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/sustainable-careers-workshop-tickets-71104689039

_______________________

_______________________

#VoteScience

Wed. Sept. 25, 2 p.m.

Webinar

We’ll give you a quick overview of the campaign, talk through some FAQs, and answer any questions you have

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/1615682335384/WN_RmTi7GO0RQGZ9Q3BoprzsA

_______________________

_______________________

House Divided

Wed. Sept. 25, 6:30 p.m.

Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave. U of T

House Divided is a citizen's guide for changing the way housing can work in big cities. Using Toronto as a case study, this anthology unpacks the affordability crisis and offers innovative ideas for creating housing for all ages and demographic groups.

https://www.schoolofcities.utoronto.ca/events/house-divided

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Action Song Circle

Wed. Sept. 25, 6 - 8 p.mm.

Grange Park (south of Dundas off Beverly)

Sing for climate action. Nothing builds connection and inspiration more than singing together. In preparation for the Sept 27 Climate Strike rally and march, let’s gather to share songs calling for climate action and community and justice. The songs we sing in this circle will become the songs we will be singing on the march.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/climate-action-song-circle/

_______________________

_______________________

Don’t Bank on Climate Change, + Film Screening & Funhouse Pop-up Launch

Thur. Sept. 26, 8 - 9 a.m.

King & Bay

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/sum-of-us-bank-protest/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Climate Film Festival – The Human Element

Thur. Sept 26, 7 - 9 pm

3600 Kingston Rd

During his four-decade career as a photographer and explorer, James Balog has focused his lens on the complex relationship between humans and nature. Human activity has now surpassed all other forces shaping our world. In an arresting new documentary from the producers of Racing Extinction, The Cove and Chasing Ice, environmental photographer James Balog captures the lives of people on the front lines of climate change. With rare compassion and heart, this film inspires us to re-evaluate our relationship with the natural world.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/toronto-climate-film-festival-the-human-element/

_______________________

_______________________

The Use and Abuse of Identity in Public Life

Thur. Sept. 26, 7 - 9:30 p.m.

A Different Booklist, 777 Bathurst St

The question of identity has become urgent for activism in the West though the issue has been important in many other parts of the world as well in a variety of forms. Political Identities form in opposition to oppression (or, reactively, as perceived victimization) and demand recognition, rights, and equity (or aggressively promote their denial). They also divide, become separated in privilege, get co-opted, and become instruments of domination. Can identity struggles lead to fundamental social transformation or must they necessarily be limited to the horizon of recognition and reform? Can the empowerment of identity be woven into solidarity or must it necessarily be doomed to fragmentation and the sustenance of the status quo?

https://www.facebook.com/events/390051044985200/

_______________________

_______________________

International Climate Strike - General Strike for Climate

Friday, Sept. 27, rally at 11 a.m., march at noon

Queen's Park, College and University

Hosted by FridaysforFuture #Climatestrike Toronto/GTA

On September 27th, students and youth across Canada are joining others around the world for the Global Climate Strike organized by Fridays for Future by walking out of their classrooms to demand action on the climate crisis. They have called for everyone to strike or participate in the day of action to make this the biggest climate action event ever. We want the world to no longer be able to keep going, there is no more business as usual because this is a climate crisis.

https://www.facebook.com/events/480239066116595/

_______________________

_______________________

The Fire Within: The Stories the Earth Speaks Through Us

Fri. Sept 27, 7 pm

Sat. Sept. 28, 2 and 7 p.m.

163 Walnut Ave. (near Queen and Bathurst)

This will be an improvised InterPlay performance where we explore the fullness of the climate justice story from our own lived experience – the grief and fear in the destruction in equal part to the precious connection we nurture as part of Earth community.  We will also invite you, the audience, to share some of your fears, hopes and questions during these fiery times.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/the-fire-within-the-stories-the-earth-speaks-through-us/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Action Solutions Summit

Sat. Sept. 28, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.

OCAD University, 100 McCaul Street (at Dundas)

Come and find out what are the key solutions for Toronto, discover what you can do and get into action with your fellow citizens.

More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/3094342757274043/

_______________________

_______________________

Call for Climate Day of Action

Sat. Sept. 28, 2 p.m.

CSI Spadina, 192 Spadina Ave

LeadNow.ca has done the math and we know we need to make 300,000 calls to progressive voters in battleground ridings if we want to help elect climate champions and stop the Conservatives from taking power. Join us, all are welcome - you don’t need to be experienced. Just bring a fully charged phone and we’ll make sure you are well prepared, have a script, and feel comfortable to call. Hosted by LeadNow.ca

https://act.leadnow.ca/CallForClimateNDA/toronto51/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Youth Appreciation and Solidarity at the Funhouse!

Sat. Sept 28, 11 a.m. - 2 pm

101 Lisgar st

Fridays For Future, Canadian Climate Challenge and Mondo Forma invite youth activists and supporters to celebrate a week of Climate Action by unwinding at The Funhouse Toronto. Explore the art maze and engage in a collective art project during this free event.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/climate-youth-appreciation-and-solidarity-at-the-funhouse/

_______________________

_______________________

The Toronto Anarchist Bookfair

Sat. Sept. 28 , 11 a.m. - 6 p.m.

CSI in the Annex, 720 Bathurst

Tables, workshops, party.

https://torontoanarchistbookfair.noblogs.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Revolution

Sun. Sept. 29, 7 - 9:30 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.

After four years and fifteen countries, acclaimed Canadian filmmaker Rob Stewart brings us on an adventure 3.5 billion years in the making. Revolution is an ambitious and optimistic adventure in the evolution of life on earth to the revolution that all ages from across continents are engaged in to save our planet. Please join us for another Toronto Climate Film Festival screening hosted by ClimateFast and Greenpeace Canada.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/revolution-friends-house/

_______________________

_______________________

Secondhand Sunday

Sun. Sept 29, 9 am – 5 pm

This is your chance to share any unwanted, reusable items. Simply leave them on your property next to the sidewalk or curb for your neighbours to take for free. Then, get in on the action. That thing your neighbour no longer wants could be exactly what you need.

https://climatechallenge.ca/events-campaign/secondhand-sunday-fall-2019/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Public Libraries host free environmental and community events

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/search.jsp?N=4288100025&Ns=p_pub_date_sort&Nso=0

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---