No Nukes News: Logic supports renewables

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Oct 11 17:08:19 EDT 2019

☢ "Nuclear power displaces other climate solutions." The real solutions, energy efficiency and renewables, save more carbon per year and per dollar. – Amory Lovins in the World Industry Status Report 2019
The World
☢ Logic supports renewables, not nuclear The latest edition of the World Nuclear Industry Status Report reiterates that renewable power is taking the lead in the world’s energy system and nuclear is not only too costly a remedy for carbon emissions but too slow to deploy. More here.

☢ Greta Thunberg on nuclear power "Personally I am against nuclear power... it's extremely dangerous, expensive and time consuming." – Greta Thunberg, founder, Youth Climate Strike.

☢ Can Nuclear Power’s Deadly Waste Be Contained in a Warming World? Nuclear reactors need an uninterrupted electricity supply to run the cooling systems that keep the reactors from melting down. Anything that interrupts power to the reactor — such as a wildfire, earthquake, tsunami, tornado, hurricane, ice storm, dam failure or some other unforeseen incident — poses a risk of nuclear disaster.

☢ Nova Scotian MLAs shut down Tory bid to open up uranium mining ban debate Nova Scotians have resolutely opposed uranium mining for over 30 years. The province’s Progressive Conservatives recently failed in their attempt to revisit the ban.

☢ Childhood Leukemia Rates Soar for Kids Living near Nuclear Reactors Podcast interview with UK Researcher Dr. Ian Fairlie

Ontario
☢ Ontario should buy more Quebec electricity Ontario has been the largest obstacle to integrating Canada’s electricity markets. Doug Ford would rather rebuild our aging nuclear fleet than import QC renewable water power at just one third the cost! Sign the petition: www.buyquebecpower.ca

☢ Green Party of ON Leader Mike Schreiner​ calls for low cost water power from QC rather than more natural gas. And he's right! It would be much lower cost and 100% renewable. See our report on this.

☢ End of coal-fired plants has cleared Ontario's air "Back in 2002, we had 60 smog alert days. The coal plants were mostly phased out by 2010, or their production was reduced, and by 2014 they were all shut down. That’s led to a dramatic reduction in the number of our smog alert days” said Jack Gibbons, Chair of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance that lead the fight for 100% coal phase out and is now calling for a nuclear phase out.

Renewables and Conservation
☼ The energy status quo is being upended – how will Canada respond? While we bicker about pipelines to tidewater and the effects of a tiny incremental price on carbon, the cost of solar and wind continue to plummet. We can grab a piece of that growing clean-tech economic pie or we can defend yesterday’s technologies.

☼ The Rise Of Solar Power 15 min. video. Solar power is on the rise. You can see the evidence on rooftops and in the desert where solar plants are popping up. Solar power is going to help lead the transition to a carbon-free future much faster than we all expected.

☼ Solar project approved for southern Alberta would be Canada's largest, by far "With the costs of renewable energy continuing to come down, we've now reached the point where renewable energy makes sense on a subsidy-free, market basis and can have a pretty significant role in our power mix going forward."

Take Action
☢ Order your FREE leaflets here calling on the Ford Government to Cut the Cuts and invest in water power from Quebec rather than rebuilding 10 nuclear reactors. If you can spare a few hours to leaflet your neighbourhood mailboxes, let me know. (angela at cleanairalliance.org)

☢ Please sign our petitions to CutTheCuts and move to 100%RenewableOntario and share them with your friends.

☢ Stop OPG's  Nuclear Waste Dump Before It's Too Late Learn more about OPG’s nuke waste dump proposal in Kincardine, ON, and write Minister McKenna, Premier Ford and PM Trudeau here.

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters here to post in your office, school, or local cafe.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2019 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book