No Nukes News: climate, SMRs and waste

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Dec 13 12:50:25 EST 2019

View this email in your browser

Share
Tweet

☢ Ontario can become a climate leader again We need your financial support today to help Ontario become a climate leader once again by moving to a renewable future while lowering our electricity bills.

The World

☢ Does Nuclear Power Slow Or Speed Climate Change? By Amory Lovins. Building new reactors, or operating most existing ones, makes climate change worse compared with spending the same money on more-climate-effective ways to deliver the same energy services.

☢ Three premiers plan to fight climate change by investing in small nuclear reactors SMRs are a waste of limited taxpayer resources and will only leave a toxic legacy of radioactive waste in their wake for future generations to content with.

☢ Renewables – Not Small Modular Nuclear Reactors – Are the Solution to Climate Change SMRs are not yet commercially available and even a commercial demonstration unit will not be available until the 2030s. Meanwhile, renewables are already scalable and provide safer, less costly, and more socially acceptable means of energy generation.

☢ Promoting small nuclear reactors is just a diversion Investing in SMRs would just be another financial boondoggle that postpones serious climate action

☢ Nuclear squeezed out of EU green finance scheme EU negotiators reached agreement on a green finance aimed at channeling billions of private investor’s money into clean technologies which excluded coal and nuclear.

☢ A site near Lake Huron is one of two finalists to store Canada’s nuclear waste Canada has narrowed to two communities its list of potential hosts for a permanent national repository for its most radioactive waste — spent fuel from nuclear power generation: Huron-Kinloss/South Bruce (near Lake Huron) and Ignace (near Lake Superior).

☢ Canada Plan to Store Nuclear Waste near Lake Huron Draws U.S. Ire A group of U.S. lawmakers has asked Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to reconsider that country’s proposed plan to store its nuclear waste at a site near Lake Huron.

☢ SON to receive $150 million if it supports nuclear vault If Saugeen Ojibway Nation supports a controversial vault to be built deep in the rock beside Lake Huron to store low- and mid-level nuclear waste at the Bruce nuclear site, it would receive $150 million in return.

☢ The Case Against Nuclear Power: Facts and Arguments from A-Z: A Beyond Nuclear handbook Effective arguments for a nuclear phaseout. Clear and succinct, easily accessible to lay audiences. Topics include: reactors, waste, health, uranium mining and climate change.

Ontario
☢ Ontario’s greenhouse gases from electricity sector to rise 300% Ontario’s electricity-related greenhouse gas pollution will rise 300% between 2017 and 2025 as the province ramps up the output of gas plants. But by making a deal for low-cost water power with Quebec and by investing in energy efficiency instead, we can lower our greenhouse gas pollution and our electricity bills.

☢ Pickering City Councillors call for immediate dismantling of Pickering Nuclear Station after it closes in 2024 Two Pickering Councillors are calling for the decommissioning and dismantling of the Pickering Nuclear Station as expeditiously as possible after it is shutdown in 2024.

☢ Plenty of safety concerns expressed at Pickering nuclear plant discussion OCAA is calling for “immediate dismantling” after the station closes while OPG wants to let the station sit idle for 30 years before dismantling. More here. Read our report here.

☢ Stop BWXT’s Licence Renewal: Shut Down the Uranium Processing Plant in central Toronto (Dupont and Lansdowne). The BWXT uranium fuel fabricating plant processes half of all uranium used in Canada's reactors.

☢ The Radioactive Colonialism of BWXT As the people of Peterborough and Toronto consider BWXT’s request to expand their operation and renew their operating licence for ten more years, they might consider not just the local impacts of uranium pollution but also the ethical implications of colonialism and radiation exposure along the nuclear fuel chain from mining to processing to power generating to weapons and waste.

Renewables and Conservation
☼ New Solar + Battery Price Crushes Fossil Fuels, Buries Nuclear Los Angeles Power and Water officials have struck a deal on the largest and cheapest solar + battery-storage project in the world, at prices that leave fossil fuels in the dust and may relegate nuclear power to the dustbin. "Goodbye coal, nukes, gas!"

☼ Fukushima Reborn As Japan’s Wind And Solar Hub This development comes as Japan is increasingly prioritizing renewables, facing a declining nuclear industry.

☼ National renewable energy efforts 'must double' by 2030 to reach the goals under the 2015 Paris climate deal.

☼ Ontario cancels nearly-built $200M wind farm over threat to bat populations This is the second wind farm - already build - that the Ford gov't has cancelled.

Take Action
☢ Sign the petition to Stop BWXT’s Licence Renewal: Shut Down the Uranium Processing Plant in central Toronto (Dupont and Lansdowne).

☢ Please contact NDP Leader, Andrea Horwath, Liberal Leader, John Fraser, and Green Party Leader, Mike Schreiner (and cc me) and ask them to jointly move a motion in the Ontario Legislature requesting that Ontario make a deal with Hydro Quebec to prevent rising greenhouse gas pollution from our gas plants.

☢ Sign our petition calling for immediate dismantling of the Pickering Nuclear Station after it closes in 2024.

☢ Order your FREE leaflets here calling on the Ford Government to Cut the Cuts and invest in water power from Quebec rather than rebuilding 10 nuclear reactors. If you can spare a few hours to leaflet your neighbourhood mailboxes, let me know. (angela at cleanairalliance.org)

☢ Please sign our petitions to CutTheCuts and move to 100%RenewableOntario and share them with your friends.

☢ Order your free KI (anti-thyroid-cancer) pills here if you live within 50 km of an ON nuclear facility - that includes all of Toronto and beyond. Download your anti-thyroid cancer posters here to post in your office, school, or local cafe.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2019 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book