T.O. Greenspiration Events: Blessings of the season

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Dec 15 22:12:38 EST 2019

Noam Chomsky on Choosing Hope

“We have two choices: to abandon hope and help ensure that the worst will happen; or to make use of the opportunities that exist and perhaps contribute to a better world. It is not a very difficult choice.”

https://bostonreview.net/reading-lists/rosie-gillies-boston-review-noam-chomsky—essential-reads

_______________________

_______________________

Greta Thunberg Says Canada Oil Violates Children Rights

Greta Thunberg and 15 other youth climate activists urged Norway and Canada to wind down their oil and gas production, which they said violates children’s rights around the world. Canada, which has the world’s third-biggest proven oil reserves, pumped more than OPEC’s second-biggest contributor Iraq in 2018, and its crude output is expected to grow by almost 50% by 2040.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-12-09/greta-thunberg-says-norway-canada-oil-violates-children-rights

Greta Thunberg - watch her full 12 min. presentation at CPO 25 focusing on the science of our climate emergency

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml3f0KeZnsY

U.S. Declared ‘Climate Criminal’ as ‘Stalemated’ COP 25 Limps to a Close

A good overview of the accomplishments and failings of the international climate negotiations in Madrid.

https://theenergymix.com/2019/12/13/u-s-declared-climate-criminal-as-stalemated-cop-25-limps-to-a-close/

For more stories and interviews on the COP climate negotiations last week in Spain, go to:

https://www.democracynow.org/

Madrid climate talks end in near failure as crucial decisions are bumped into 2020

While Canada emerged from Madrid with generally favourable reviews from environmental groups, many of them were reserving final judgement until they see whether Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s government approves the Teck Frontier open-pit oil sands mining project in northern Alberta, which would add at least four million tonnes a year of carbon emissions to Canada’s already burgeoning greenhouse gas inventory.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-madrid-climate-talks-end-in-near-failure-as-crucial-decisions-are/

UN climate negotiations end in 'demoralizing, enraging' failure

The United Nations climate talks went into record overtime and then ended in failure on Sunday. The countries gathered in Madrid for COP25 were unable to agree on the main objectives of the negotiations and kicked the most important decisions down the road to next year’s meeting in Glasgow, Scotland.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2019/12/15/analysis/un-climate-negotiations-end-demoralizing-enraging-failure

_______________________

_______________________

Trudeau will fuel the fires of our climate crisis if he approves Canada's mega mine

This week, the Canadian government is in Madrid telling the world that climate action is its No 1 priority. When they get home, Justin Trudeau’s newly re-elected government will decide whether to throw more fuel on the fires of climate change by giving the go-ahead to construction of the largest open-pit oil sands mine in Canadian history. Approving Teck Resources’ Frontier mine would effectively signal Canada’s abandonment of its international climate goals. By Tzeporah Berman.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/10/canada-trudea-climate-crisis

Sign the petition opposing the Teck Resources Frontier mine

https://act.leadnow.ca/stop-teck/

_______________________

_______________________

On environmental and energy issues, the Ford government is on a path of disruption and destruction

The Ford gov't dismantled the previous government’s climate change strategy and launched legal challenges to the federal carbon pricing backstop that replaced it. It repealed the Green Energy Act and cancelled 738 renewable energy contracts at the cost of at least $231 million. It terminated the province’s energy conservation framework for electricity. It rewrote planning rules at provincial and local levels in favour of developers. It weakened protections for endangered species. It attempted to open parts of the GTA’s greenbelt to developers. And it repealed the province’s toxics use reduction legislation. Buried in omnibus Bill 132 is an attempt to undo the previous Liberal government’s moratorium on neonicotinoid pesticides, widely identified as posing serious risks to pollinators. Other provisions of the act weaken the rules around forestry operations, mining, water taking, gravel pits and quarries and pollution. The government is moving forward with a parallel proposal that would dismantle the province’s regulatory framework for controlling industrial water pollution.

https://theconversation.com/new-and-improved-doug-ford-doesnt-extend-to-the-environment-128432

What Ontario's Repeal of the Toxics Reduction Act Means for you

http://broadcaster.torstarmarketing.com/dm?id=3155174C532B45BFF883CDBAFF5C7764C642981F76BF3D97

Hydro power, not nuclear, is best for Ontario

Combine Quebec water power with energy efficiency programs in Ontario and you have the lowest-cost option for keeping the fridges humming. Instead of banking on phantom solutions like non-existent “small modular reactors” that, if they are ever built, will have all the waste, cost and security problems of conventional nuclear plants, Ontario should make a money-saving deal with Quebec. By Jack Gibbons.

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/gibbons-hydro-power-not-nuclear-is-best-for-ontario

_______________________

_______________________

A Green New Deal for Housing - 2 min. video by The Leap

A Green New Deal for Housing could protect us from the storms to come — and create sustainable, affordable, and beautiful homes for all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h10kzyGDYvc

_______________________

_______________________

How to be a Facilitator

Mon. Dec. 16, 6 - 9 p..m.

Facilitation is fundamental to collective action and a key skill for organizing. Good facilitation meets people where they are and draws insight from their experiences to generate ideas and make choices together - allowing people to work through differences and find a path to action built on shared values. This workshop  will share practices for running participatory meetings and workshops that help you meet your objectives.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/fall-training-series-dec-16

_______________________

_______________________

Minimize Conflict and Maximize Connection

Tues. Dec. 17, 6 - 7:30 p.m.

S. Walter Stewart Library 170 Memorial Park (near Danforth and Coxwell)

Learn ways to help avoid being triggered, how not to take things personally and improve understanding in your relationships. Free.

http://torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEVT426755&R=EVT426755

_______________________

_______________________

Extinction Rebellion 101

Thur. Dec. 19, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.

7 Hart House Circle, U of T

In this public talk, we will share the latest climate science on where our planet is heading, discuss some of the current psychological, social and political challenges around climate issues, and why Extinction Rebellion's strategy of civil disobedience is necessary.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2420707098057123/

_______________________

_______________________

Salts, Scrubs and Face & Body Masks - DIY spa gifts workshop

Fri. Dec. 20, 7 - 9 p.m.

Anarres Natural Health Apothecary 1076 Bloor W (near Dufferin)

Why spend ten times more for stuff made with mystery ingredients and laced with industrial chemicals? You'll learn what each natural wholesome ingredient does according to tradition and contemporary knowledge, and how to combine them to meet individual needs. You'll work with clays, minerals, salts, oils and essential oils and come home with a face mask, a body scrub and a bath salt. $10 materials + pwyc.

http://anarreshealth.ca/workshop/workshop-spa-gifts-make-salts-scrubs-and-face-body-masks

_______________________

_______________________

Recollectiv

Sat. Dec 21, 12:30 - 2:30 p.m. (every Sat.)

Tranzac 292 Brunswick

Toronto’s Recollectiv is a musical group primarily comprised of people affected by cognitive challenges caused by dementia, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, stroke, PTSD, brain injury, etc. Recollectiv’s mission is to help people in Toronto with cognitive impairments gain a new social network, rediscover a sense of accomplishment and find joy through music-making. The weekly rehearsal at the Tranzac Club, an accessible location, provides stimulation, socialization and lifts the spirits of both the players and their caregivers or companions. There is no cost for participation, and it is open to all who wish to sing or play an instrument, regardless of their physical or neurological challenges. Bring your elderly parent. Free.

http://recollectiv.ca/participate

_______________________

_______________________

Winter Bird Count for Kids

Sat Dec. 21, 9 - 10:30 a.m.

High Park Nature Centre 375 Colborne Lodge

Learn how to use binoculars (please bring your own pair if you have them!), identify birds, and collect data to help with bird conservation efforts. Pwyc, $2-$5 suggested donation.

http://highparknaturecentre.com/special-events

_______________________

_______________________

A Solstice Candlelight Vigil

Sat. Dec 21, 5:30 p.m.

Osgoode Hall 130 Queen W (at University)

Inject the year's darkest day with light, hope & joy. Join Extinction Rebellion for a candlelight vigil. Beginning at 5:30 pm with an hour of prayer and music led by a group of interfaith leaders and musicians. At 6:30 pm we will begin a procession to the U.S. consulate where we will hold a vigil to mourn all those are harmed by climate inaction exemplified by the U.S. pulling out of the Paris accord.

http://extinctionrebelliontoronto.org

_______________________

_______________________

Kensington Market Winter Solstice

Sat. Dec. 21, 5 - 9 p.m.

Kensington Market Augusta south of College,

Ignite the longest, darkest night with Red Pepper Spectacle Arts' 30th annual parade in the Market. Lantern sales from 5-6:30 pm. Meet at Oxford & Augusta, parade departs at 7 pm. Free.

http://facebook.com/events/714060062439836

_______________________

_______________________

Please Sir Can I Have Some More - Protest Christmas Morning at Doug Ford's House

Wed. Dec. 25, 11 a.m. - noon. Meet at the TTC stop at Kipling and Byland, just south of Eglinton, for 10:45 a.m. We will walk over to his house together.

6 Tettenhall Rd. Etobicoke

Join us as we share Christmas joy and the spirit of giving with Premier Ford. Bring your signs with tinsel and seasonal messages of care and compassion for all. We will sing Christmas carols and remind each other and our Premier about our basic human need to take care of our neighbours. This is a family event - kids are welcome. Nobody should have to live in poverty or on the streets. Let's end homelessness now! We are demanding that the Shelter Allowance and Basic Needs Allowance be doubled. Hosted by POOF, Protecting ODSP OW Funding

https://www.facebook.com/events/578771546262532/permalink/578773466262340/

_______________________

_______________________

The Great Backyard Bird Count is a 4-day annual event that provides a snapshot of where birds are around the world.

Last year there were 6,699 species recorded and 204,921 checklists submitted! It is taking place 14-17 Feb, 2020. This is an opportunity for you to enjoy the outdoors and contribute to Citizen Science

https://gbbc.birdcount.org/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Public Libraries host Our fragile Planet, free environmental and community events

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/search.jsp?N=4288100025&Ns=p_pub_date_sort&Nso=0

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---