T.O. Greenspiration Events: The Power of Solutions

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 2 21:41:18 EST 2020

_______________________

The Hamilton Pipeline

Enbridge Gas wants to build a giant pipeline through Hamilton to allow us to increase imports of fracked gas from the United States. This will be burned by OPG, increasing Ontario greenhouse gases from the electricity sector by 400% by 2025 and 700% by 2040.

Read our report and sign the petition here.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/stop-the-hamilton-gas-pipeline/

The Hamilton LRT Debacle

After a decade of planning and $110 million spent, the Ford Government abruptly cancelled Hamilton’s LRT, leaving empty buildings and questions about the city’s future in its wake. Was it just a line item? Ballooning costs? Or political sabotage in an NDP town? 36 min. podcast

https://www.canadalandshow.com/podcast/16-the-hamilton-debacle/

_______________________

_______________________

What If… We Changed the Conversation on Climate Change?

What if the solutions to the climate crisis are already practical, affordable, and ready for prime time and we know how to drastically reduce GHG emissions while creating jobs? And what if the only way we’re guaranteed to lose this battle of our lifetimes is if we convince ourselves it’s already lost? Mitchell Beer's exploration of ways we can change the climate conversation for the better that was delivered at TEDx Ottawa

https://theenergymix.com/what-if-we-changed-the-conversation-on-climate-change/

_______________________

_______________________

Watch and/or read Toronto Environmental Alliance's deputation on the city budget with a focus on climate justice

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/climate_emergency_and_the_city_budget?utm_campaign=jan2020_news&utm_medium=email&utm_source=toenviro

_______________________

_______________________

$5.6 billion can buy a lot of heath care, classroom support and transit

$5.6 billion this year - that's how much the Ford gov't says it'll subsidize our electricity rates. It's time for us to start talking about the elephant in the room – the high cost of bloated nuclear projects.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/billions/

_______________________

_______________________

Tar Sands Expansion: The Ticking Carbon Bomb

How do we halt fossil fuel projects and fight for Indigenous rights and a Just Transition?

Mon. Feb. 3, 7 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.

Canada’s current and proposed fossil fuel projects will be catastrophic for Turtle Island and the global climate. They violate Indigenous rights and perpetuate ongoing colonial violence. They prevent the transition to a better, more equitable and caring world. Learn, discuss and take action to stop the Teck Frontier mine (the largest ever tar sands project, if approved), the Coastal GasLink and Trans Mountain pipelines, the Vista Coal Project, and more. It is imperative that we speak out against these projects before they become a reality. Keith Stewart, Senior Energy Strategist, Greenpeace Canada will present. There will also be a film screening of: “Invasion” - 18 minutes - “In this era of “reconciliation”, Indigenous land is still being taken at gunpoint. Invasion is a new film about the Unist’ot’en Camp, Gidimt’en checkpoint and the larger Wet’suwet’en Nation standing up to the Canadian government and corporations who continue colonial violence against Indigenous people. PWYC with a Suggested Donation of $5-15. All money collected will be donated evenly to the Unist’ot’en camp and to Indigenous Climate Action Network. Co-sponsored by Toronto 350 and ClimateFast.

https://www.facebook.com/events/s/tar-sands-expansion-the-tickin/2428031667511865/

_______________________

_______________________

Vaxxed II:  The People's Truth

Monday Jan. 3, 5 p.m.

Wednesday Feb 6., 5 p.m.

Kingsway Theatre, Bloor and Royal York

Interviews of parents and doctors with nothing to gain and everything to lose exposed the vaccine injury epidemic and asked the question on every parent’s mind, “Are vaccines really as safe and effective as we’ve been told?”

https://www.vaxxed2.com/

http://kingswaymovies.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Your Retirement is at Risk from Climate Change

Tues. Feb. 4, noon - 1 p.m.

Webinar

Share your lunch hour with Shift’s Director, Adam Scott, and Pension Engagement Manager, Patrick DeRochie, as they discuss how your pension is at risk from climate change, how your pension is adding to the climate crisis, and what you, as a beneficiary, can do to support your fund through the necessary transition.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/webinar-your-retirement-is-at-risk-from-climate-change-tickets-82670095481

_______________________

_______________________

Made in Bangladesh

France, Bangladesh, Denmark, Portugal, 2019, 95 min

Tuesday, February 4, 7:30 pm

Bloor Hot Docs, 506 Bloor W, Bloor and Bathurst

A film that takes you behind that T-shirt you just bought on sale for $9.99, to reveal the human labour, sweat, and suffering that went into it.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/websales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=107992~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0

_______________________

_______________________

Narcos And Moneylenders: Dealing In Debt In Colombia

Tues. Feb. 4, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.

Grad Room, U of T, 66 Harbord

PhD candidate Gloria C.Perez-Rivera discusses narco-trafficking, where drug money goes and how it is used. Free.

https://gotanthropology.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Can Social Media Hate, Lies And Harassment Be Regulated? How?

Tues. Feb. 4, 7 p.m.

Rogers Communications Centre, 80 Gould, Rm. 103, Ryerson

>From “fake news” to bullying, death threats, trolling, sexual extortion, stalking and tormenting, the wonderful potential of social media has a dangerous and damaging dark side directed disproportionately to women and marginalized people. Solutions seem elusive given social media’s anonymity, the permanence of its record, and the capacity of cyberabuse to go viral.  Join a panel of experts who have looked carefully at this issue and will explore the problem and what we as a society can do.

http://cfe.ryerson.ca/events/can-social-media-hate-lies-and-harassment-be-regulated-how

_______________________

_______________________

Crazy Talks

Tues. Feb. 4, 7 p.m.

OISE 252 Bloor W, 12th floor, SJE lounge

Open monthly forum on psych and mad politics with writer Erick Fabris and guests. This month we view and discuss 55 Steps, a film about Eleanor Riese’s battle over California’s forced drugging laws.

Email: madly at teksavvy.com

_______________________

_______________________

"Just" Cities: Traffic-Related Air Pollution And Justice In The Context Of Urban Sustainability

Wed. Feb. 5, 5 - 7 p.m.

George Ignatieff Theatre 15 Devonshire Place, U of T

Talk by University of Washington professor Julian Marshall on the intersection of air pollution, transportation, environmental justice, and public health. Followed by a chat with Jeffrey Brook, Greg Evans and Marianne Hatzopoulou, and audience Q & A

http://uttri.utoronto.ca/events/julian-marshall-just-cities-traffic-related-air-pollution-and-justice-in-the-context-of-urban-sustainability/

_______________________

_______________________

Futures: Desmond Cole

Wed. Feb. 5, 7 p.m.

Art Gallery of Ontario 317 Dundas W

The journalist and activist launches his book The Skin We're In and explores Canadian assumptions of a post-racial nation. Free.

https://ago.ca/events/futures-desmond-cole

_______________________

_______________________

Exposure to Ambient Air Pollution and The Incidence Of Dementia In Ontario

Wed. Feb. 5, 4:10 - 7 pm.

Room SS1071, Sidney Smith Building, St. George Street

Dementia is a severe neurological disorder that significantly deteriorates quality of life and survival of individuals. It currently affects 47 million people worldwide and the number is expected to triple by 2050. However, the risk factors that make a person more likely to develop dementia are largely unknown. Emerging studies suggest that air pollution may affect brain health. However, little is known about the influence of air pollution on the new onset of dementia. In this talk, I will present three complementary studies that have been conducted in Ontario linking past exposure to air pollution to incident dementia and will discuss some future research endeavours to refine our understanding of the influence of air pollution on dementia risk.

https://environment.utoronto.ca/events/all/environment-health-seminar-exposure-to-ambient-air-pollution-and-the-incidence-of-dementia-in-ontario/

_______________________

_______________________

#FundtheTTC Day of Action

Thur. Feb. 6

Sign up to help TTCriders reach thousands of transit riders about the critical need for more TTC funding in the 2020 City Budget. We’ll be asking riders to call their City Councillor and take a photo with our selfie frame.

Can’t make it on February 6th? Use our form to send a message to your Councillor!

Which TTC stop would you like to volunteer at?

Dufferin Station from 4:30 - 6:30 pm

Kennedy Station from 4:30 - 6:30 pm

Lawrence West Station from 4:30 - 6:30 pm

St. George Station from 8:30 - 10 a.m.

http://www.ttcriders.ca/feb6action/

_______________________

_______________________

Transformative Politics of the Wild: The Power of Solutions

Thur. Feb. 6, 3 - 5 p.m.

315 Bloor St. W, Boardroom/Round Room/Library

The twin crises of climate change and biodiversity loss are among the greatest challenges humanity has ever faced. But it’s 2020. We know this already. WWF-Canada president and CEO Megan Leslie will discuss why we should stop rehashing the problems and start working on the solutions.

https://munkschool.utoronto.ca/event/28938/

_______________________

_______________________

This World Made Itself & Infinitely Yours, a double-bill

by Los Angeles based multi-disciplinary artist Miwa Matreyek

Thur. Feb. 6, 7pm

Fri. Feb. 7, 7pm

The Theatre Centre, 1115 Queen St W

Miwa's work aligns closely with ours as it explores the climate crisis, our planet, and what it means to be a human living on the earth as the environment changes rapidly around us. $25

http://progressfestival.org/programming/this-world-made-itself-infinitely-yours

_______________________

_______________________

City Budget Forum - What's in the 2020 Budget? How can you influence it?

Sat. Feb. 8, 1:30 - 4 p.m.

Barbara Frum Library 20 Covington,

Social Planning Toronto in partnership with the Lawrence Heights Inter-Organizational Network is hosting a free City Budget Forum. Expert panelists will be present to give a budget overview. Learn how you can advocate for essential services like housing, transit, childcare and youth/community spaces. Free. Free childcare will be provided.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/city-budget-forum-community-meeting-tickets-91468303157

_______________________

_______________________

Wellness Market

Sun. Feb. 9, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Gladstone Hotel 1214 Queen W

Marketplace dedicated to health, self-care and relaxation. Free.

http://facebook.com/events/466608047277033

_______________________

_______________________

Go Global Expo

Sun. Feb. 9, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Toronto Reference Library 789 Yonge (n. of Bloor)

Learn about working, volunteering, studying or living overseas. This event will showcase: volunteer-sending organizations, study abroad opportunities, non-profit groups, jobs teaching English abroad, internships, adventure travel and lots more.

http://letsgoglobal.ca

_______________________

_______________________

To Be Determined: A Dance Project

Fri. Feb. 21, 8 p.m.

Sat. Feb. 22, 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Ryerson Theatre, 43 Gerrard St. E

To Be Determined is student produced and choreographed full-length dance performance. It is an artistic and physical exploration of the beauty and expansiveness of the natural world, and the decline of these environments as a result of human activity. Through dance and movement, we travel to different habitats, such as the arctic, tropics, oceans, deserts, and wetlands, where we discover and observe the power of natural occurrences, the functions of the living things and creatures, but also the disruption of these ecosystems as a result of human impact.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/to-be-determined-a-dance-project-tickets-86288933523

_______________________

_______________________

OPG & Enbridge vs. Our Climate

Mon. Feb. 24, 7 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther (St. George subway station)

Enbridge Gas wants to build a giant pipeline through Hamilton to allow Ontario to increase imports of fracked gas from the US. This will mean a huge increase in greenhouse gases from OPG's gas-fired generating plants. Fortunately, we have alternatives. Learn more here. Hosted by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

https://www.facebook.com/events/173270727262687/

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/stop-the-polluting-hamilton-pipeline/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---