T.O. Greenspiration Events: Celebrating Women

Angela Bischoff angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Mar 1 22:52:33 EST 2020

Why are Indigenous People's blocking the railways? And why it's important!

20-slide infographic

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ob8FxjYbksJICPfIB2j0CLxNvrBLGusQ/view?fbclid=IwAR3WRfSeuWW2HWrdA5GkrWMjOJVOopGyH3Dver2sGHPB30lP7IHit0vhNYA

_______________________

_______________________

Petrosaurus Rex vs. Reality: Teck Mine Defeated by Low Price of Oil

Jason Kenney is willfully tone deaf to the tsunami of global evidence warning that most fossil-centric companies, petro-states, provinces, and projects are facing dire days for the foreseeable future.

https://theenergymix.com/2020/02/26/petrosaurus-rex-vs-reality-teck-mine-defeated-by-low-price-of-oil/

_______________________

_______________________

Under Doug Ford, Ontarians can expect electricity emissions to triple by 2030

Carbon emissions from Ontario’s electricity sector are set to triple over the next decade, as gas-fired generation fills the void created by high-cost nuclear rebuilds and the dismantling of green energy and conservation programs under Doug Ford’s government. But we don't have to blow our climate commitments through the roof - instead of turning to fracked gas from Pennsylvania, we can buy Quebec water power, and invest in energy efficiency and cost-effective Made-in-Ontario green energy. (See event below March 12.)

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/02/26/news/under-doug-ford-ontarians-can-expect-electricity-emissions-triple-2030

_______________________

_______________________

Show your support for a Green New Deal in Canada

The Finance Minister has a choice to make: invest in policies that help us transition away from fossil fuels while creating good, sustainable jobs ⁠— or let Canada get left behind. Click here to tell Minister Morneau to invest in climate before it’s too late:

https://act.leadnow.ca/green-new-deal-canada/

_______________________

_______________________

Heathrow third runway ruled illegal over climate change

The court’s ruling is the first major ruling in the world to be based on the Paris climate agreement and may have an impact both in the UK and around the globe by inspiring challenges against other high-carbon projects.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/feb/27/heathrow-third-runway-ruled-illegal-over-climate-change

Freightened - The Real Price of Shipping

https://www.freightened.com/the-film/

World’s 15 Biggest Ships Create More Pollution Than All The Cars In The World

https://www.industrytap.com/worlds-15-biggest-ships-create-more-pollution-than-all-the-cars-in-the-world/8182

Overbooked: The Exploding Business of Travel and Tourism

https://www.amazon.ca/Overbooked-Exploding-Business-Travel-Tourism/dp/1439160996

_______________________

_______________________

US Pedestrian and cyclist fatalities increased 53 percent in ten years

To blame? The switch to light trucks, bad road design, cell phone distraction and climate change.

https://www.treehugger.com/cars/pedestrian-and-cyclist-fatalities-increased-53-percent-ten-years-two.html

Bike to School Week

Let’s get rolling! Join students and teachers across Ontario to celebrate Bike to School Week May 25 - May 29. Register your school’s activities and to qualify for incentives.

https://bikemonth.ca/bike-school/bike-school-week

Ordinary Cycling - unremarkable photos from the Netherlands

A photo exhibition by Brian Doucet

Viewing until March 31

Fix Coffee and Bikes, 80 Gladstone Ave.

_______________________

_______________________

Study Catches Denier Bots Generating One-Quarter of Anti-Climate Messages on Twitter

https://theenergymix.com/2020/02/25/study-catches-denier-bots-generating-one-quarter-of-climate-messages-on-twitter/

_______________________

_______________________

Shut Down the Lansdowne Nuclear Facility in Toronto – Public Hearings

Mon.-Tues. March 2-3, 8:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. 1130 Dupont St, Toronto

The End the Radiation on Lansdowne campaign represents a swelling of Toronto communities working to shut down the Lansdowne nuclear facility out of concern for community health and safety. The BWXT Inc. nuclear facility (situated at the corner of Lansdowne and Dupont) has quietly applied for a ten-year operating license renewal. Together, we voice our strong opposition. Together, we will shut down the BWXT Toronto uranium plant. Together, we will end the #radiationonlansdowne. The hearing will be live webcast here: http://nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/  The agenda for the hearing March 2-3 can be found here: http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/the-commission/pdf/20-H1.A-AgendaRevised-March2020-BWXT-e.pdf

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2794646693927047/

For more info on the uranium factory on Lansdowne (N of Dupont) see:

https://www.radiationonlansdowne.com/

https://www.nopellets.ca/unreasonable-risk

https://www.durhamnuclearawareness.com/blog/2020/2/27/bwxt-12-things-torontos-medical-officer-of-health-your-local-politicians-amp-the-media-are-not-telling-you-wfy5g

https://www.stopbwxt.com/

Check out this submission by Dr. Gordon Edwards about the BWXT plant in Toronto. He asserts that the uranium dust released from the plant is a carcinogen, affecting children more than adults. It does not belong in the middle of a dense urban neighbourhood. http://ccnr.org/GE_Supp_pack.pdf

_______________________

_______________________

What a Waste | Canadian Nuclear Laboratories Nuclear Waste Projects at Chalk River, Rolphton, Pinawa and Douglas Point

Mon. March 2, noon - 1 p.m.

Webinar

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/uJUkceutpjkjsNq1-hoGOTbJYFKB8JoUKQ

_______________________

_______________________

Storytelling and Self-Determination

Tuesday, March 3, 6 - 8 pm

Hot Docs, 506 Bloor Street West (at Bathurst)

Celebrate #IWD2020 with a panel discussion with Indigenous Women speakers Tanya Tagaq, Connie Walker, and Maggie Wente. The panel will be moderated by Tanya Talaga. Tix $20 - $45

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/storytelling-self-determination-tickets-91871828111

_______________________

_______________________

Flood 2020: Are We Ready?

Tues. March 3, 7 - 9 p.m.

235 Queens Quay W.

The Great Lakes have never been higher. Will Toronto be flooded again this year? This forum will focus on the risk of high lake levels and the need for gov't action and intervention.

http://yqna.ca/

Toronto Islands bracing for another flood – are Port Lands next?

https://nowtoronto.com/news/toronto-islands-flood-port-lands/

_______________________

_______________________

Documentary Film Screening: The Apology

Tuesday, March 3, 6 - 9 pm

LIB 72, 350 Victoria Street, Ryerson

Winner of a Peabody Award, a duPont-Columbia award, and named Best Documentary at the Busan International Film Festival, The Apology follows the personal journeys of three former “comfort women” who were among the 200,000 girls and young women kidnapped and forced into military sexual slavery by the Imperial Japanese Army during the Second World War.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/documentary-film-screening-the-apology-and-qa-with-the-director-tickets-95439258391

_______________________

_______________________

Wellhead to Tidewater

Webinar

Tues. Mar. 3, 8 p.m. EST

In this webinar hosted by Pull Together, we'll learn from impacted communities along the whole Trans Mountain pipeline and tanker route.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qgFWYFrLQZebMYn3Iy8jeg

_______________________

_______________________

International Women's Day Talks and Panel Session

Tues. March 3, 6:30 p.m.

Isabel Bader Theatre, 93 Charles St. West

The Travel Corporation (TTC) invites you to celebrate inspiring women trailblazers in the travel industry who are helping to create an equal world during International Women's Week. Join our TTC community to learn about these extraordinary women, why they've chosen their path, and how they've overcome challenges and achieved success.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/international-womens-day-talks-and-panel-session-tickets-91019392453

_______________________

_______________________

The Feminist on Cellblock Y - a documentary film

Tues. March 3, 7 p.m.

Revue Cinema, 400 Roncesvalles Avenue

Richard Edmond Vargas, also known as "Richie Reseda" is a convicted felon who has been serving time in an all-male prison in Soledad, California, for armed robbery since he was a teen. This documentary follows Reseda and his fellow inmates as they participate in a rehabilitation program centered around feminist literature. "We cannot challenge our harmful behavior without challenging patriarchy," Reseda says in the film.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/join-the-redwood-for-international-womens-day-2020-the-feminist-on-cellblock-y-tickets-91543253335

_______________________

_______________________

The Chemical Valley Project

Wed. March 4, 1 - 2:30 p.m.

Robert Gill Theatre, 214 College Street

In Sarnia, Ontario, an Indigenous community of 800 residents, is smothered by the Canadian petrochemical industry. Two siblings from Aamjiwnaang First Nation, Vanessa Gray and Beze Gray, have dedicated themselves to fighting environmental racism and to protecting their community’s land, air and water. A breathtaking blend of documentary-theatre, innovative projection design, a charismatic script and playful solo-performance engage and implicate audiences in The Chemical Valley Project. This urgent production delves gracefully into difficult conversations on Indigenous treaty rights, the nature of contemporary Canadian identity and values, and Canada’s notorious “Chemical Valley”. Free.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/broadleaf-theatre-the-chemical-valley-project-tickets-94024661293

_______________________

_______________________

National Student Walkout for Wet'suwet'en

Wednesday, March 4, 12 noon

Everywhere

This event will take place on the stolen territories of Indigenous nations across so-called "canada". We are calling for a national student walk out. A coalition of student organizers in BC are inviting students across so called "canada" to join us as we walkout of classes and demand that the RCMP and CGL fully withdraw from sovereign Wet'suwet'en territory immediately. Wet'suwet'en sovereignty and law must be respected and we stand in solidarity with the Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs in demanding that BC, Canada, the RCMP and CGL respect their authority.

https://www.facebook.com/events/187190069271102/

_______________________

_______________________

Are We Done Fighting?

Wednesday, March 4, 2 pm

Northern District Library, 40 Orchard View Boulevard

Author Matthew Legge, a Peace Program Coordinator with Canadian Friends Service Committee, discusses his book, Are We Done Fighting? Building Understanding in a World of Hate And Division, about our increasingly polarized world.

https://quakerservice.ca/events/are-we-done-fighting-book-presentation/

_______________________

_______________________

LEAF Volunteer Orientation

Wed. March 4, 6:30 - 7:30 pm

Community Gallery, Artscape Wychwood Barns, 76 Wychwood Ave

Our volunteers play a critical role in helping improve the urban forest. There are various ways in which you can get involved depending on your skills, interests and availability, including hands-on planting and stewardship, community outreach, event assistance and more. During the orientation, participants will get an introduction to the urban forest and to the programs LEAF offers. We’ll share information on a variety of volunteer roles such as tree planting leader, stewardship assistant, tree tour assistant, registration assistant, photographer, blog writer, and more.

https://www.yourleaf.org/event/mar-04-2020/leaf-volunteer-orientation-toronto

_______________________

_______________________

Biking in All Weather Conditions with Cycle Toronto

Thur. March 4, 6 - 7 p.m.

Toronto Public Library - Toronto Reference Library, 789 Yonge Street, Beeton Hall

Join us for this free, public workshop where you'll learn the basics of riding your bike year-round. Cycle Toronto will cover topics including: - recommended clothing for cold and wet cycling seasons - bicycle care and maintenance tips - route-planning - safe riding techniques to deal with different weather-related hazards.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/biking-in-all-weather-conditions-with-cycle-toronto-tickets-91721450327

_______________________

_______________________

City Hall 101 training

Wednesday, March 4, 6 - 9 p.m.

Progress Toronto,1179 King St. W., Suite 202 (Near King and Dufferin)

Knowing the decision-making process at City Hall is a key tool to advocate, influence decisions, and organize to win. Join Progress Toronto's Executive Director Michal Hay to learn more about the legislative process, who the key players are influencing decisions, and how you can have your say.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/winter-training-series-mar-4-2020

_______________________

_______________________

Self Care for a VOW Activist: Meditations

Fri. March 6, 7 - 9 p.m.

Centre for Well Being, 480 Roncesvalles

Canadian Voice of Women for Peace workshop. Pre-register.

facebook.com/events/1234615270060929

_______________________

_______________________

Environmental Career Day at the U of T

Fri. March 6, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Great Hall of Hart House, U of T

Environmental Career Day allows undergraduate and graduate students interested in pursuing environmental careers to have an opportunity to start early and develop marketable skills, experience and contacts. Attendees are able to talk with exhibitors from organizations representing government, industry, consulting and ENGO’s, as well as attend the Environmental Employment Opportunities Workshop: “What I Need to Know to Get a Job!” and hear from speakers with extensive career experience and expert career advice.

https://environment.utoronto.ca/events/career-day/

_______________________

_______________________

Women at work: Across borders, boundaries and barriers

Friday, March 6, noon - 2 pm

POD 250, 350 Victoria Street, Ryerson

In this International Women's Week, join us for what promises to be an insightful panel discussion on the exploitation of women's labour. Panelists will draw on their expertise and lived experiences to highlight the unique challenges facing Indigenous, migrant and newcomer women at work.

https://www.facebook.com/events/198906691311794/

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Bicycle Show & E-Bike Expo

Fri - Sun. March 6 - 8

International Centre, 6900 Airport, Mississauga

Huge bicycle consumer show with vendors, info booths, action events, 2,500-foot test track, bike swap/consignment sale, roller racing, contests and more.

https://bicycleshowtoronto.tix123.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Curious Minds Festival

>From March 6 – 11

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

Our annual festival of culture and ideas returns with an expanded weeklong program of inspiring conversations with internationally renowned thinkers, tastemakers and bestselling authors.

https://hotdocscinema.ca/c/curiousmindsfestival

_______________________

_______________________

World-Changing Women with National Geographic Editor-in-Chief Susan Goldberg

Sat. March 7, 4 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

In anticipation of the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage in the United States, National Geographic editor-in-chief Susan Goldberg is tapping into the magazine’s extraordinary archives to offer an inspiring look at the past, present and future of women’s lives. With 300+  stunning images from more than 50 countries, her new book, Women: The National Geographic Image Collection, is a glorious testimony to  what it means to be female, from the haunting, green-eyed "Afghan girl" who left her mark on history to the dynamic young women leading the way in the age of #MeToo and Black Lives Matter. Two free tix to the first person to write me and ask for them. angela at cleanairalliance.org

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=113835~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0&utm_source=Email&utm_medium=Outreach&utm_campaign=CMFestival&utm_content=SusanGoldberg

_______________________

_______________________

IWD day benefit concert for Wet'suwet'en

Sat. March 7, 1:30 p.m.

Paradise Theatre, 1006 Bloor St. W.

A number of musicians and bands are coming together to raise money for Wet'suwet'en solidarity and climate justice with a special International Women's Day Concert at the Paradise Theatre. The show is an afternoon matinee and all ages.

https://www.facebook.com/events/221236145726291

_______________________

_______________________

International Women’s Day (IWD) March and Rally

Sun. March 8, rally at 11 a.m., march at 1 p.m.

OISE, 252 Bloor St W, U of T (St. George subway)

The World Is On Fire. We Are Rising.

https://www.facebook.com/events/532603540683020/

_______________________

_______________________

Dr. Angela Davis - Justice Is Indivisible

Sunday, March 8, 6 pm

Keynote address for International Women’s Day. Part of the 16th annual Israeli Apartheid Week 2020: United Against Racism

http://www.uoftdivest.com/iaw-2020.html

_______________________

_______________________

Plan or Platitude? Making Sense of "Reconciliation"

Sun. March 8, 3:30 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs (at Bathurst)

Since the release of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada’s landmark report in 2015, no idea has received more lip service than “reconciliation” with Indigenous peoples. But what does this concept actually mean, and what progress—if any—has been made in bringing it about? As we approach the fifth anniversary of TRC Chair Murray Sinclair’s 94 Calls to Action, this timely and urgent panel, moderated and guest curated by award-winning Anishinaabe journalist and author Tanya Talaga, will tackle these questions head on.

https://boxoffice.hotdocs.ca/WebSales/pages/info.aspx?evtinfo=113833~fff311b7-cdad-4e14-9ae4-a9905e1b9cb0

_______________________

_______________________

OPG & Enbridge vs. Our Climate and Our Pocketbooks

Thur. March 12, 7 p.m.

Friends House, 60 Lowther (St. George subway station)

Doug Ford wants to ramp up the output of our gas-fired power plants by more than 300% by 2025.

To help fuel this massive increase in fossil fuel electricity generation, Enbridge wants to import fracked gas from Pennsylvania by building a giant pipeline in Hamilton -- a pipeline that would degrade Hamilton's Beverly Swamp provincially significant wetland and raise Enbridge’s gas rates by $120 million.

If Doug Ford and Enbridge get their way, Ontario will blow way past its 2030 Climate Protection target.

Fortunately, we don’t need to import fracked gas from Pennsylvania to keep our lights on. We can lower our electricity bills and our climate impact by importing clean water power from Quebec and by investing in energy efficiency and Made-in-Ontario renewable energy.

It’s time to protect our climate and our pocketbooks by phasing-out our gas-fired power plants and moving Ontario toward a 100% renewable electricity future.

Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/173270727262687/

More info: https://www.cleanairalliance.org/stop-the-polluting-hamilton-pipeline/

Petition: https://www.cleanairalliance.org/stop-gas-pipeline/

_______________________

_______________________

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Centre for Social Innovation Events

https://socialinnovation.org/community/events/

_______________________

_______________________

Green Neighbours Network - Events

Repair cafes, fix-it days, and more.

https://greenneighboursnetwork.ca/events/

Hot Docs

Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

https://hotdocscinema.ca/

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing

https://nowtoronto.com/search/event/community-events/

---