No Nukes News: What to do about climate change?

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Sep 17 18:11:08 EDT 2020

View this email in your browser

Share
Tweet

What to do about Climate Change? Green Party of Canada Leadership Debate
Friday Sept. 18, 7 – 8:30 EST
Join us for an all-candidates’ townhall to learn where the candidates stand on climate solutions, energy, carbon pricing, the Green New Deal, just-recovery and more. Register here. Sponsored by: Ontario Clean Air Alliance and Moderated by Angela Bischoff

The World

☢ Small Modular Nuclear Reactors - Not Clean, Not Small, Not Green, Not Affordable Webinar with Dr. Gordon Edwards. Watch it or read it.

☢ A Quebec resolution for Liberal Convention calls on the government to end support for both the fossil fuel and nuclear industries.

☢ The economics of small nuclear reactors, touted by AB Jason Kenney as a ‘game changer,’ just don’t add up  SMNRs are a distraction, a way to tell citizens and foreign investors fretting about global climate change, “Don’t worry about it, we’re working on it.”

☢ SK Premier asks Trudeau to support nuclear reactors in upcoming throne speech

☢ Leave uranium in the ground! Global Online Launch of the first Uranium Atlas Watch the 2 hour recording of the webinar launch. You can download the Uranium Atlas here.

☢ Radiation and Women’s Health Watch the 85 min. webinar

Ontario
☢ A gift for Premier Ford It’s time for Premier Ford to exercise some of the “common sense” he loves to talk about and make a deal with QC Premier Legault for water power. The result will be lower costs, fewer climate damaging emissions and less air pollution.

☢ Proposal to extend life of Pickering Nuclear Station is reckless and financially irresponsible It is reckless to put the safety of millions of GTA residents at risk, especially given that we have lower cost, cleaner and safer options to keep our lights on.

☢ We need to phase out Ontario’s gas-fired power plants, not ramp them up - my op ed in the Toronto Star and Niagara Falls Review Doug Ford plans to ramp up gas-fired power plants more than 300% in the next 5 years. The good news is that the gov't has plenty of better options for keeping the lights on, from restoring energy efficiency programs and importing low-cost water power from Quebec to ending its irrational attacks on renewable energy.

Renewables and Conservation
☼ Wind and solar are 30-50% cheaper than thought, admits UK government Electricity from onshore wind or solar could be supplied in 2025 at half the cost of gas-fired power and a fraction of the cost of nuclear, the new estimates suggest. More here

Take Action
☢ Click here to send a message to Premier Ford Tell him to deliver on his promises to help Ontarians deal with the economic fallout from COVID-19 and lower our electricity rates by 12% by making a deal with Quebec to import their low-cost, surplus renewable water power.

☢ Send a message to all four Ontario Party Leaders asking them to close the PIckering Nuclear Station in 2024 when its license expires and immediately dismantle the station.

☢ Sign the petitions to phase out Ontario gas plants and immediately dismantle the Pickering Nuclear Station after shutdown in 2024

☢ Order your FREE leaflets here calling on the Ford Government to phase out gas plants and immediately dismantle Pickering Nuclear Station after shutdown in 2024. High school students can gain volunteer service hours. Contact angela at cleanairalliance.org for more info.

☢ Ontario Electricity Decisions and GHG Implications Wed. Sept. 23, 2 - 3 p.m. EST Webinar with Jack Gibbons of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance. The Ford gov't plans to ramp up gas-fired electricity by more than 300% in the next 5 years. Enbridge plans to build a new pipeline through southern ON to bring up fracked gas from the US to meet Ontario's growing needs. Learn why this is a bad choice and what the alternatives are.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2020 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book