Greenspiration Events: Walking the talk

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Sep 21 00:18:49 EDT 2020

CANADA

Sign now: Emergency petition to reinstate $100BN in green spending for the recovery

https://act.leadnow.ca/emergency-green-recovery/

Trudeau Liberals shouldn't shelve $100 billion climate plan

The Liberal government was expected to unveil an ambitious $100-billion green spending plan, plus major changes in environmental regulation in the upcoming throne speech, according to a Global News report. But now the government seems to have shelved that plan, over fears of being perceived as taking advantage of the pandemic to execute its climate agenda. The idea of this is infuriating and it's wrong.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/09/15/opinion/trudeau-liberals-shouldnt-shelve-100-billion-climate-plan

Tell the government of Canada not to invest in new reactors that will generate dangerous radioactive waste.

Sign the House of Commons E-Petition 2849

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Sign/e-2849

What to do about climate change? Green Party of Canada Leadership Townhall

Such an outstanding group of leadership candidates the Green Party of Canada is fielding! Watch the leadership townhall on climate change that I hosted on Sept. 18th.

Facebook recording:  https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=959676051174867&extid=aHVXr2FWzIMjjr55

Youtube recording:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EKt0Y2fM6Y

Flood Freeland’s Phone Lines: Demand Climate Action

What’s the true cost of the Trans Mountain pipeline? Every dollar that goes to this pipeline, is a dollar that would be better spent on solutions to the climate crisis and supporting people through the worst economic crisis of our lifetime. In 2018, the Trans Mountain pipeline cost $5 billion. This past February it ballooned to $13 billion. Now, it could be well over $20 billion of public money. But we don’t know the true cost because Trudeau’s government refuses to tell us. Tell Prime Minister Trudeau and Finance Minister, Chrystia Freeland, to release the numbers and prioritize a green recovery from the pandemic.

https://350.org/canada/tmxcost/

Pay-what-you-can digital Yoga classes

https://www.leelapod.com/

_______________________

_______________________

ONTARIO

Ontario’s Ford Government Guts Environmental Protections, Undermines Health Record

While Ontario’s Ford government has proven to be an able defender of health in the face of COVID-19, it continues to be a profound threat to the environment, gutting established protections, hobbling climate action at every opportunity and, most recently, hamstringing the province’s environmental review process.

https://theenergymix.com/2020/09/15/ontarios-ford-government-guts-environmental-protections-undermines-health-record/

Sign the petition to phase out gas-fired power plants in Ontario

www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

Sign the petition to immediately dismantle the Pickering Nuclear Station after shutdown in 2024 - no more extensions!

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/waterfront/

_______________________

_______________________

TORONTO

Fall Training Series With Progress Toronto

Progress Toronto is offering 10 free trainings and workshops for our 2020 Fall Training Series. Workshops include digital campaigning, how to meet with your local politician, City Budget 101 with Councillor Mike Layton, using your personal narrative to move people to action, and more.  You can sign up for any session and all workshops are free.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/fall-training-series-2020

Looking to share a house/space with other community-minded, progressive, eco-conscious people in the core of downtown Toronto. Budget around $800 but willing to discuss ANY ideal fit.  Contact: Pei.  ~  416.732.8965  ~  pei.czech at gmail.com

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency in Ontario

Mon. Sept. 21, 7 p.m. EST

In his book A Good War, author Seth Klein explores how we can align our politics and economy with what the science says we must do to address the climate crisis. But he brings an original and uniquely hopeful take to this challenge, based on lessons we can draw from the Second World War, when Canada faced a similarly existential threat. According to Seth, Canada’s wartime experience provides an inspirational reminder that we have done this before. We have mobilized in common cause across class, race and gender, and entirely retooled our economy in the space of a few short years. Join us for an evening of music, a reading, author Q&A, and a panel discussion with local climate emergency activists.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_bUCAZYvNSiuyjL225M3WBQ

_______________________

_______________________

Water Webinar -- Walking the Talk -- Activating for the Water

Mon. Sept. 21, 10 - 11:30 a.m. EST

The People’s Water Campaign is making connections between Ontario-based water injustices. This session focuses on various expressions and experiences protecting water as shared commons and sacred gift. Join Paul Baines and Tasha Beeds to learn about the written and experiential ways water protectors are stepping into their leadership roles.

https://wellingtonwaterwatchers.nationbuilder.com/_walking_the_talk_activating_for_the_water

_______________________

_______________________

UN International Peace Day

Mon. September 21

https://www.unfoldzero.org/event/un-international-day-for-peace/

High Level Meeting to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the UN

Mon. Sept. 21

Action: Encourage your government to use the occasion of the high level meeting to call for implementation of the declaration, and in particular to support the global ceasefire, commit to resolve conflicts peacefully, encourage all countries to accept the compulsory jurisdiction of the International Court of Justice, support full implementation of the Paris agreement on climate change and accept a 10% cut in global military budgets to support the UN, SDGs and COVID-19 management and economic recovery.

https://www.unfoldzero.org/event/high-level-meeting-to-commemorate-the-75th-anniversary-of-the-un/

Defund War. Climate Justice Now! An International Peace Day Webinar

Mon. Sept. 21, 5 p.m. Pacific Time

We invite people from across Canada and around the world to join us to listen, share, and learn more about how we can build the world we need.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/peacedaywebinar/

We Are Many: International Day of Peace Livestream Film

Mon. Sept. 21, 5 p.m. Pacific Time

WE ARE MANY (Amir Amirani, 2014 / 104 mins / PG) The story of the biggest demonstration in human history, which took place on 15th February 2003, against the impending war on Iraq.

https://www.facebook.com/events/328016225281858

_______________________

_______________________

Art of City Building Conference: Under Water

Mon. September 21

Organizers of Art of City Building (AoCB), are pleased to announce year four of the public and free conference, this year designed to inspire conversations around urgency in action and change as it relates to the global pandemic crisis, the climate crisis, the economic crisis and the crisis of inequity and social justice.

https://www.artofcitybuilding.ca/about

_______________________

_______________________

Platforms for Harm? Online Panel Discussion

Mon. Sept. 21, noon - 1 p.m. EST

Panel on online harmful content in Canada, with discussion focused on accountability of the platforms.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/platforms-for-harm-online-panel-discussion-tickets-118648680397

_______________________

_______________________

Sustainable Development Impact Summit

September 21 - 24

Taking place in the context of the United Nations General Assembly, the World Economic Forum’s fourth and, for the first time, fully virtual Sustainable Development Impact Summit will convene leaders from government, business, international organizations and civil society along with a diverse group of experts and innovators to initiate, accelerate and scale-up entrepreneurial solutions to tackle climate change and advance sustainable development.

https://www.weforum.org/events/sustainable-development-impact-summit-2020

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Week NYC

September 21 - 27, 2020

https://www.climateweeknyc.org/

https://www.climateweeknyc.org/events-program

_______________________

_______________________

Women Hold up The Sky: Film Screening and Discussion

Tues. Sept. 22, 7 p.m. EST

Women Hold Up the Sky tells the story of how women activists affected by mining and other forms of large-scale extractives in South Africa, Uganda and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) are deeply engaged in resistance and an active struggle to take back control of their land, their rights, their bodies and their lives.

https://www.kairoscanada.org/event/women-hold-up-the-sky-film-screening-and-discussion

_______________________

_______________________

A Stressful Interaction: Climate Change and Other Ecosystem Stressors Often Have Greater Influence When Combined

Tues. Sept. 22, 10:30 a.m. EST

The Great Lakes Science Advisory Board - Science Priority Committee (SAB-SPC) of the International Joint Commission (IJC) is hosting a public webinar to provide information and answer questions about the board's recent report: An Evaluation of Stressor Interactions in the Great Lakes. The report is available at: https://ijc.org/en/sab/evaluation-stressor-interactions-great-lakes On the webinar, Great Lakes Science Advisory Board - Science Priority Committee members will provide an overview of the report's findings and recommendations. https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_vw0hpeNiQJu4ODMTzxzMrw

_______________________

_______________________

Our Common Ground: Canadian and African Voices for Regenerative Agriculture as a Climate Solution for Climate Week 2020

Tues. Sept. 22, noon - 1:30pm EST

Soil erosion and desertification are happening today at alarming rates, driving water and food insecurity, forced migration, and climate change. Please join us for this joint webcast with ClimateFast, the Africa Climate Action Initiative of the Canada Africa Partnership (CAP) Network, and Soil4Climate. 'Our Common Ground' brings together Canadian and African voices to feature a key ally in the transition to a regenerative future: our soils.

www.capnetwork.ca/common-ground

_______________________

_______________________

I am Greta

September 22 - 24

Feature length documentary film (or at least watch the trailer). Buy your ticket for $10 and have 24 hours to view it.

https://watch.eventive.org/cinefest/play/5f43e2460abe370030a3c788

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Electricity Decisions and GHG Implications

Wed. Sept. 23, 2 - 3 p.m. EST

Webinar with Jack Gibbons of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance. The Ford gov't plans to ramp up gas-fired electricity by more than 300% in the next 5 years. Enbridge plans to build a new pipeline through southern ON to bring up fracked gas from the US to meet Ontario's growing needs. Learn why this is a bad choice and what the alternatives are.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwvcOmqrjwsGtcuKu5SBkhBgGgRvd0YNdNJ

_______________________

_______________________

Next Economy Conversations: David LePage of Buy Social Canada

Wed. September 23, 12:30 - 2 p.m. EST

Tonya Surman, CEO of the Centre for Social Innovation, will sit down (virtually, of course!) with David LePage, Managing Partner of Buy Social Canada: a network that promotes social procurement to create community value.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/next-economy-conversations-david-lepage-of-buy-social-canada-tickets-117772505735

_______________________

_______________________

6 Degrees - The global forum for inclusion

Sept. 21- 23

6 Degrees convenes emerging and established leaders to explore and interrogate questions of citizenship and inclusion through a powerful network and a global forum that creates connections, conversations, and action. We aim to turn allies into actors through campaigns that motivate positive change in policy, attitudes, and behaviour. 6 Degrees is a project of the Institute for Canadian Citizenship (ICC)

https://www.inclusion.ca/6degrees-global-forum/

_______________________

_______________________

Shut It, Uncle Bob! Dealing w/ Racist Family, Friends, Coworkers

Wed. Sept. 23, 6 - 8:30 p.m. EST

For white folks, unlearning racism, and learning how to be anti-racist is life-long work and life-long learning. These workshops are not the be all and end all of anti-racism; they are designed to provide a solid foundation for white people who are new to this kind of work yet want to learn more and get more involved in the struggle for anti-racism and decolonization.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN__dnrB_oTScG-L5ns5xEnnA

_______________________

_______________________

Can’t Pay Won’t Pay: The Case for Economic Disobedience and Debt Abolition

Wed. September 23, 5 pm EST

With Haymarket Books

https://bit.ly/3k9uzAE

_______________________

_______________________

The Toronto Palestine Film Festival

Online Sept. 23 - 29

Film program and tickets https://tinyurl.com/TPFF2020

_______________________

_______________________

Right of Way: How Racial and Class Disparities Created a Silent Epidemic of Pedestrian Deaths in America

Thur. Sept. 24, 1:15 - 2:45 p.m. EST

In the last ten years, there has been a 50% increase in pedestrian deaths. In 2018 alone more than 6,000 pedestrians were killed while walking in America. Yet, despite the increase in deaths, the tragedy of traffic violence has barely registered with the media and wider culture. Disproportionately, the victims are immigrants, the poor, and people of color. They have largely been blamed and forgotten. The media barely covers these tragedies as they victims often in low-income neighborhoods. What’s necessary to reframe the problem, acknowledge racism and classism in our public response to safety, and energize road safety advocates? How can we create programs, policies, and movements that respond to the epidemic?

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/7180303919421695502

_______________________

_______________________

Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency in Nova Scotia

Thur. Sept. 24, 7 p.m. Atlantic time

In his book, A Good War, author Seth Klein explores how we can align our politics and economy with what the science says we must do to address the climate crisis. But he brings an original and uniquely hopeful take to this challenge, based on lessons we can draw from the Second World War, when Canada faced a similarly existential threat. According to Seth, Canada’s wartime experience provides an inspirational reminder that we have done this before. We have mobilized in common cause across class, race and gender, and entirely retooled our economy in the space of a few short years. Join us for an evening of music, a reading, author Q&A, and a panel discussion with local climate emergency activists.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_0opbc2ZqSW2Ehd4WdsNFZQ

_______________________

_______________________

We Don't Have Time - Exponential Climate Action Summit

Thur. Sept. 24, 9 a.m. EST

To beat climate change, we need decisive and exponential action. In the Exponential Climate Action Summits, we bring together the foremost thinkers and doers in climate action to discuss what innovations and policies exist that can bring the change required in order to halve emissions by 2030 in the Race To Zero. We will explore how digitalization can enable sufficient action in businesses and governments. We will also discuss the solutions that digitalization brings in the sectors of energy, transport and industry, along with the frontrunners of each sector.

https://www.wedonthavetime.org/events/exponential-climate-action-summit-202009

_______________________

_______________________

40th Annual Take Back the Night

Thurs. Sept. 24, 6 – 8 pm EST

Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto

History in the making-- the 40th Annual Take Back The Night! We’re using this milestone march to point the finger (up to you which finger) at perpetrators of sexual violence. Hosted by Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against Rape (TRCC/MWAR)

https://www.facebook.com/events/2821134154798696/

_______________________

_______________________

Global Day of Climate Action - Fridays for Future Climate Strike

Friday, Sept. 25, noon - 3 pm EST

Wellesley and Bay, downtown Toronto

Socially distanced sit-in for a just recovery.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2645107839062458

https://www.fridaysforfutureto.org/actions

_______________________

_______________________

4th International Congress against Military Bases and Wars

Friday Sept. 25, 5 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. EST

4th international congress against military bases and wars. We will discuss the international political situation and how to enlarge our struggle against war machinery and warfare. A focus should be the discussion about the protection of the environment and how military bases, war machinery and wars are destroying the environment and the climate.

http://www.ipb.org/events/4th-international-congress-against-military-bases-and-wars/

_______________________

_______________________

Critical Mass Ride

Fri. Sept. 25, leaving 6:30 p.m.

Meet at Bloor/Spadina, Toronto

Critical Mass Rides are on again! We ride en masse the last Friday of each month. The route is up to whoever is at the front of the pack. Ride safe folks!

_______________________

_______________________

International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons

Sat. Sept. 26

In 2013, the UN General Assembly (UNGA) declared September 26 to be the International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons. The aims of the day are to enhance public awareness about the threat posed to humanity by nuclear weapons and the necessity for their total elimination.

https://www.unfoldzero.org/event/international-day-for-the-total-elimination-of-nuclear-weapons/

Nuclear Weapon Free World: Global civil society commemoration of the UN Day for Nuclear Abolition

Sat. September 26

The Nuclear Weapon Free World event takes place in two parts:

Session 1: presentations on nuclear disarmament issues

Session 2: Practical workshops on key approaches to nuclear disarmament, including using the arts, how to move the nuclear weapons budgets/investments to better things, how to engage and empower women and youth, how to engage your legislators (mayors, parliamentarians)…

Session 3: A panel discussion followed by Q&A on how to achieve nuclear disarmament, how to move the nuclear-armed states to relinquish nuclear deterrence, the role of non-nuclear states, how to build on the connections between nuclear disarmament and other key UN issues…

https://www.unfoldzero.org/event/nuclear-weapon-free-world-global-civil-society-commemoration-of-the-un-day-for-nuclear-abolition/

_______________________

_______________________

Watershed 2020: Towards a Water Justice Agenda

Sat. Sept. 26

Join us for Watershed 2020, a digital convention to define the pathway towards a water justice agenda in Ontario! With plenary sessions, special guests, workshops, working sessions, networking, on-demand content, and an Expo Area featuring digital booths from local organizations, we’ll come together to restore environmental protections for water security and help build the movement for water justice in Ontario.

https://hopin.to/events/watershed2020

_______________________

_______________________

Jubilee: New Hope for Our Planet

Sun. Sept. 27, 3 - 4 p.m. EST

Join us for an afternoon of Information and Discussion on Caring for our Planet Earth as we recover from Covid 19. Faith Communities come together virtually to celebrate the beauty and wonders of planet earth, to lament the destruction that has become a serious threat, creating Climate Change Emergencies world-wide; and to find New Hope for our Planet.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/jubilee-new-hope-for-our-planet-tickets-119333956075

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, read and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

And for the best global climate perspective: DESMOG - Clearing the PR Pollution that clouds climate science

https://www.desmogblog.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/