Greenspiration News and Events: Planet under pressure

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jan 4 00:54:30 EST 2021

Happy New Year! May we make some serious climate and environmental progress in 2021.

How to save the world in 6 books: top climate leaders share their 2020 reads

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/whatonearth/how-to-save-the-world-in-6-books-top-climate-leaders-share-their-2020-reads-1.5849947

Annie Lennox - Dido’s Lament - Choral Performance with London City Voices

"I see Dido's Lament as a lament for our dying planet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR3UlPUpzUQMae-lcmTNo29eM-wv_uh8CheMuREXlQp3zTojLhUFQlr6_wk&v=f3DFaIovZxc&feature=youtu.be

Greta Thunberg Calls for Hope 5 Years After the Paris Agreement - 3 min. video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_jUNzE28zc

Nukes - again! By Green MP Elizabeth May

Trudeau’s Liberals have gone all in for nuclear power. Natural Resources Minister Seamus O’Regan has been sucked into the latest nuclear propaganda - that “there is no pathway to Net Zero without nuclear.” Do not be fooled. Not only do we not need new nuclear, not only does it have the same risks as previous nuclear reactors and creates long lived nuclear wastes, it is more tied to the U.S. military-industrial complex than ever before.

https://www.sgigreenparty.ca/gsm_20201220

We, the undersigned, Citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to accede to the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons thereby advancing Canada’s longstanding commitment to global nuclear disarmament. Petition.

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-3028

Alberta is planning new mountaintop-removal coal mines. Here’s what that looks like

Close to 2,000 hectares of the eastern slopes in Alberta have been offered to Australian coal companies that would mine the mountainsides for steel-making coal. Conservation advocates fear this is just the beginning. This is what mountain-top removal looks like - and this is what's coming to AB at a time when the world understands the need to phase out coal for its grave climate and pollution impacts.

https://thenarwhal.ca/alberta-coal-mining-rockies-elk-valley/

Groundswell Community Justice Trust Fund

We have been able to disburse over $350,000 (all individual donations) since our inception to grassroots led social, economic and political campaigns and projects for change. We are launching our 2021 funding campaign now, and I hope you and yours will consider supporting our efforts to get needed resources to progressive movements again next year – go to https://groundswellfund.ca/donate/ to donate, or https://groundswellfund.ca/ for more info and to apply for funding.

End Psychiatric Coercion

Protect the human rights of people involved in Canada's mental health system. Non-coercive alternatives work. Canada has agreed with the UN to make it happen. So why isn't it happening? Petition.

https://www.change.org/p/end-psychiatric-coercion-it-s-not-out-of-this-world-to-protect-human-rights

My friend Dianne is fundraising for her rent for healthy housing

https://www.gofundme.com/f/environmentally-safe-housing-please-for-dianne

_______________________

_______________________

Research to Action: Science and Solutions for a Planet Under Pressure

January 5 to 9

National Council for Science and the Environment and Drawdown 2021 will host this virtual Conference with attendees from more than 50 countries across 6 continents. The featured speakers will engage us in topics ranging from indigenous knowledge systems to regenerative economics to youth activism. Together we will move research-to-action and develop solutions for our people and planet to prosper.

https://www.ncsedrawdown2021.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Defund the Toronto Police: City Budget Edition

Thur. Jan. 7, 6 - 8:30 p.m. pm

Racial Justice Toronto (SURJ TO) and community advocates are calling for the defunding of the Toronto Police Services budget by 50% in the 2021 city budget. Toronto Police Service is the single largest expense item in Toronto’s budget - more than housing, libraries and transportation combined! In the midst of a global pandemic, these funds must be meaningfully invested into vital initiatives for Toronto residents. Hear from Desmond Cole, Jane and Finch Action Against Poverty (JFAAP), and Idil Abdillahi about working towards an abolitionist future.

https://www.facebook.com/events/421307535951830

https://tinyurl.com/DefundJan7

_______________________

_______________________

Errick "Skip" Willis Memorial Event on Leadership and Emissions Trading

Thur. Jan. 7, 4 - 5:30 p.m. EST

We will recall Skip's life and legacy with a virtual event to discuss leadership and emissions trading as a solution to climate change – two subjects Skip was passionate about. Special guest speaker is Dirk Forrister, former Chair of the White House Climate Change Task Force under President Clinton and current CEO of the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA), a global non-profit association dedicated to market solutions to tackle climate change. Dirk, a long-time colleague of Skip’s, will draw on his experience in Washington and the global arena to provide an overview of post-election U.S. and international climate change activities and outlooks.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/errick-skip-willis-memorial-event-on-leadership-and-emissions-trading-tickets-129906847879

_______________________

_______________________

Sixty Minutes with Ditte Juul-Jørgensen, Director General for Energy of the European Commission

Fri. Jan. 8, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. EST

Mrs. Juul Jørgensen and Amb. Simonyi will discuss the EU’s Energy Union after the adoption of the European Green Deal, the Internal Energy Market, EU-US energy cooperation, the EU’s goal to become climate neutral by 2050, and the role of U.S. LNG in European energy security.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/5582003241959625483

_______________________

_______________________

Noam Chomsky – Internationalism or Extinction

Mon. January 11, 7 - 9 pm EST

Film and discussion

http://masspeaceaction.org/event/noam-chomsky-internationalism-or-extinction-film/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/