Greenspiration News & Events: 100% Solar/Wind/Water/Batteries

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jan 25 00:32:47 EST 2021

*Rethinking Energy 2020-2030: 100% Solar, Wind, and Batteries is Just the Beginning

21 min. video. Adoption of solar/wind/water/batteries is growing exponentially worldwide and disruption is now inevitable because by 2030 they will offer the cheapest electricity option for most regions. Coal, gas, and nuclear power assets will become stranded during the 2020s, and no new investment in these technologies is rational from this point forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zgwiQ6BoLA&t=0s&fbclid=IwAR0brp7txwXY3cbPApfeE2-kaxf6AMyxxsYmvg6fLmX9XBeTX1XljAAhLh4

The Hill We Climb: the Amanda Gorman poem that stole the US inauguration show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdKdyemxbew&feature=emb_title

CBC's Choral Concert - Music & Poetry celebrating the Gem of the Universe

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-419-choral-concert/clip/15820503-music-and-poetry-celebrating-gem-universe

Bill C-12 - proposed federal climate accountability law

Bill C-12 will be going to the Environment Committee perhaps as early as this week. MP Elizabeth May and Ken Love did a thorough analysis of this dangerously weak bill and examined why too many MPs, bureaucrats, journalists, and even certain progressives still don’t “get” the urgency of the climate crisis. Here is a YouTube link to the webinar:

https://youtu.be/sSAbwi2GTKU

Demand a world-class climate accountability law for Canada - petition

https://act.leadnow.ca/bill-c-12/

Keystone Decision Triggers Calls for More Pipeline Cancellations

After President Joe Biden kept his promise to cancel the Keystone XL pipeline, Indigenous campaigners and climate organizations were quick to respond with pressure on the United States and Canada to also cancel Line 3, Dakota Access, and Trans Mountain pipelines along with oil leases in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge.

https://theenergymix.com/2021/01/24/keystone-decision-triggers-calls-for-more-pipeline-cancellations-sign-ons/

Call on Trudeau to pass the Just Transition Act

Dear Prime Minister Trudeau, keep your promise to “make sure no one gets left behind” as we shift away from fossil fuels. Legislate the Just Transition Act.

https://act.350.org/sign/jt-act/

Why Won’t Canada Back a Nuclear Weapons Ban?

Should Canada continue to be part of NATO or instead pursue non-military paths to peace in the world? Nuclear weapons are banned under international law. Our gov't needs to be challenged to get on the right side of history and sign the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.

https://beyondnuclearinternational.org/2021/01/17/why-wont-canada-back-a-nuclear-weapons-ban/

More on the treaty here: https://www.icanw.org/how_the_treaty_works

War Abolition 101: How We Create a Peaceful World

March 1 - April 11

War Abolition 101 is a six week-online course providing participants an opportunity to learn from, dialogue with, and strategize for change with World BEYOND War experts, peer activists, and changemakers from around the world.

https://actionnetwork.org/ticketed_events/warabolition101/

Climate and the 2021 Toronto City Budget

The 2021 City Budget process is underway, and this year is unlike any other. Read the budget analysis by the Toronto Environmental Alliance, including 6 things to call for during the City Budget consultations.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/climate_and_the_2021_city_budget

RIP Wayne Roberts - Godfather of Food Policy in Canada and Radical Happiest

Besides being an influence on Tooker and I coming to Toronto, Wayne was "the godfather of good food policy for Canada for the things that he contributed to food policy in Toronto and Canada at large." Roberts was an author of a number of books including Get A Life!, Real Food For A Change, and The No-Nonsense Guide to World Food. "He's a pollinator...he's like this beautiful dandelion, it just spreads everywhere, his positivity, his passion, his power." "As he was dying, he and I would laugh a lot as we always did — and he and I coined the term 'radical happiest'."

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/food-security-advocate-writer-wayne-roberts-remembered-as-hero-to-many/ar-BB1d1HnH

_______________________

_______________________

Kitchen Table Climate Conversation

Mon. Jan 25, 7 pm EST

Participate in a climate conversation as if we were sitting at a kitchen table; learn more, share feelings, create solutions.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1149695535487897

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/kitchen-table-climate-conversation-tickets-136207657771

_______________________

_______________________

Our Climate Café

Mon. Jan. 25, 6 p.m. EST

Our Climate Café is a safe and supportive space for communities to congregate and chat about navigating the current climate crisis.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/our-climate-cafe-tickets-123957553379

_______________________

_______________________

Showing Up for Racial Justice - Defunding the Police Zap and Campaign

Monday, January 25, 12 noon EST

The City of Toronto’s 2021 Budget process is now underway. Join SURJ Toronto in calling and emailing City Councillors to demand that they defund the Toronto Police Service (TPS) by 50% and redirect the funds towards vital community supports & services.

https://tinyurl.com/SURJDefundZap-Jan25

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfXzvoZYArxcVS4D8GnKIvr3YOHLqf1jngSFh7IG9jhJlhrTA/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Overcoming the Climate Crisis: What Needs to be Done

Tues. Jan 26, 7 p.m. EST

What do we have to do, and when, to avoid catastrophic global warming? With speaker Prof Danny Harvey, Climate Scientist, U of T. Hosted by Science for Peace.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_wabtvIQiQ_-16NE0Gpp49A

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency: The Citizen's Guide to Climate Success

Tues. Jan. 26, 4 - 6 p.m. EST

Mark Jaccard speaks on how climate-concerned citizens can overcome myths that hinder us from acting in time to prevent extreme climate impacts. Their actions can involve personal consumption choices (electric vehicles, heat pumps) but these only have an effect if citizens are also engaged in the political process and civil society to elect and support climate-sincere politicians. These personal and collective efforts must align with and foster a global strategy of decarbonization, especially in developing countries.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/krause-memorial-lecture-emergency-the-citizens-guide-to-climate-success-tickets-131855191427

_______________________

_______________________

Impact of COVID-19 on Women and the Economy

Tues. Jan. 26, 11 a.m. EST

Seven dynamic speakers will discuss the obstacles and opportunities COVID-19 has created for women in the economy. Youth, grassroots activists and new Canadian panelists will challenge thinking from intersectional perspectives.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_JoyVyPjcQt2tovQmvqNsjw

_______________________

_______________________

#BuildBackFossilFree Digital Rally

Tues. Jan. 26, 8 p.m. EST

Join the Indigenous Environmental Network for a digital rally featuring frontline leaders calling on President Biden to take bold executive action to end the era of fossil fuel production, protect communities reeling from the climate and COVID-19 crises, and #BuildBackFossilFree.

https://biologicaldiversity-org.zoom.us/webinar/register/7116111673338/WN_Dtfn2D_QSJuQQcyX-b-i6w

_______________________

_______________________

The Time is Now: Canadian and Global Recognition of the Right to a Healthy Environment

Tues. Jan. 26, 8 p.m. EST

Join us for a public talk by Dr. David R. Boyd, UN Special Rapporteur, on the urgent need for the legal recognition and implementation of the human right to a healthy environment. While already recognized in the majority of countries, this right is not yet protected by national laws in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom or Japan.

https://ubc.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_oFwBYr30TQGbz0SpldXTSw

_______________________

_______________________

Mobilising Men for Feminist Peace

Tues. Jan. 26, 8 am EST

Socially-constructed gender norms that associate masculinity with power, violence, and control play an important role in driving conflict and insecurity. These norms are enabled by institutions that glorify violence and fund the war system. To advance feminist peace, it is critical to work towards a transformation of the currently accepted norms.

https://menengage.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYld-GsrD4pHdwJGkLXOUeS2WbaFpvfhDQa

_______________________

_______________________

Ending the global security threats of nuclear power

Lessons from the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons

Wed. Jan. 27, 3 - 4:30 pm EST

Through considerable organizing by civil society, the dream of a Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW) comes into force on January 22. The effort involved challenging existing claims about the value of nuclear weapons, creating a new narrative centered on human security, building new alliances between civil society and governments, and using international law and institutions to drive change. Can these approaches help tackle the strong but subtle link between nuclear power and nuclear weapons, halt emerging programs to build so-called small modular nuclear reactors (SMRs), and finally end the reckless pursuit of nuclear energy programs worldwide?

https://unbvirtualclasses.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Gv5APIANQYOU2h5bYAZBvQ

_______________________

_______________________

Environmental Justice in Nunavik

Wed. January 27, 2021

Temporal trends in perfluoroalkyl acids concentrations and association with country foods consumption during pregnancy.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/environmental-injustice-in-nunavik-tickets-131552971479

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Power and Weapons – The Connections

Thursday, January 28, 2021,  8 p.m. EST

On Jan. 22, the International Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons will come into full force, having been ratified now by 51 parties of the 86 sovereign signatories to the treaty. This is the most important international agreement on nuclear weapons since the Non-Proliferation Treaty came into force in 1970, a treaty that the US was instrumental in bringing to fruition.  What people and governments constantly overlook is that nuclear weapons programs often come from nuclear power programs around the world – linking the two inextricably.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/7236028662?pwd=aWhYNWw0WEZiK0NKYnRoWCtoaC9zQT09#success

_______________________

_______________________

Complex Systems Change - Pathways to Zero Emissions in Canada

Thur. Jan. 28, 1 p.m.

This weekly webinar series will explore the ways we're working together today in pursuit of a climate-safe tomorrow. With Ontario Clean Air Alliance

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4FeuWbETRcC2YQyV_EiT7Q

_______________________

_______________________

The future of Toronto transit fares

Thursday, January 28, 6:30 - 8 pm EST

The Toronto Transit Commission (TTC) is reviewing its fare policies in 2021 and consulting people about a “5-Year Fare Plan.” That's why TTCriders is organizing our own engagement process to develop proposals to share with TTC. The more transit riders that we speak with, the stronger our collective voice will be.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-future-of-toronto-transit-fares-tickets-136815359423

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Wide Virtual Action - No COVID Evictions! Rent Relief Now!

Thursday Jan. 28, 1 p.m. EST

Join ACORN members from across Ontario for a virtual action to demand immediate protection for tenants from eviction & rent relief during COVID19. Our communities are seeing spiking case numbers and stricter public health measures, YET Doug Ford is allowing evictions to continue. No one should lose their home during a housing crisis and pandemic!

https://acorncanada.org/civicrm/event/info?id=2569

_______________________

_______________________

Marine protected areas and beyond: setting sail for a sustainable ocean

Thur. Jan. 28, 6:30 EST

Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) are an important tool for conservation, protecting biodiversity and habitats from harmful human activities; but, there are some ocean goals that MPAs cannot help us reach. As we strive to protect 30% of Canada’s ocean by 2030, we must look beyond MPAs to see the bigger picture of the ocean and how we use them. This webinar gives an introduction to MPAs in Canada and explores the different pathways we can take to a healthy ocean now and into the future. With Sierra Club Canada.

https://www.sierraclub.ca/en/civicrm/event/register

_______________________

_______________________

Fossil Banks No Thanks

Fri. Jan. 29, all day

Hold Canada's big banks to account for their fossil fuel loans and investments. You can participate by visiting your own branch, dropping off a letter or joining a larger action planned by one of the many participating groups.

https://www.facebook.com/events/3467157360067375/

Banking on our Kids' Future

Fri. Jan. 29, all day

Canada's big five banks are pouring hundreds of billions into fossil fuels, endangering our kids' future and supporting projects that violate Indigenous Rights. As parents and grandparents, we are coming together to demand that banks change their practices.

https://www.forourkids.ca/banking_on_our_kids

https://www.facebook.com/events/231074698492304

_______________________

_______________________

People's Music Network for Songs of Freedom and Struggle - Virtual Convergence

Fri. Jan. 29 - Sun. Jan. 31

The People's Music Network for Songs of Freedom and Struggle carries on our rich tradition of dynamic weekend-long community events about music for peace and justice.

https://peoplesmusic.org/event-4115935

_______________________

_______________________

Dance, Dance for Status for All!

Sat. Jan. 30, 3 p.m. EST

Join us in joy, in celebration, with love for our liberation. Let's move together to ensure full and permanent immigration status for all.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYudOuspzoqE9MMdYd2U8xGGS4LLh-yB6-_

_______________________

_______________________

Help Make a Difference – Climate Change Empowerment Workshop

Sun. Jan. 31, 1 – 5:30 p.m. EST

Concerned about climate change and want to help? Need support to figure out your next step towards making a difference? We all have a part to play. Get started with this empowerment workshop. By donation: $30 or pwyc - Climatefast https://donorbox.org/climatefast

Registration / Info; Henryhwai at gmail.com

_______________________

_______________________

COVID, Racism and the Far Right

Sun. Jan. 31, 2 pm EST

Please join Toronto East Anti-hate Mobilization (TEAM), for an online forum in which we will explore how racism and intolerance are currently being expressed during this challenging time.

http://bit.ly/Covid-Racism

https://www.facebook.com/events/755080262103740

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/