Greenspiration News & Events: Hope Matters

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Mar 8 00:58:21 EST 2021

$565-Billion House Bill Aims to Cut U.S. Emissions 50% by 2030, Decarbonize Grid by 2035

"We need real solutions like solar and storage, not a dirty lifeline for gas, nukes, and biomass.”

https://theenergymix.com/2021/03/05/565-billion-house-bill-aims-to-cut-u-s-emissions-50-by-2030-decarbonize-grid-by-2035/

Tell Canada's leaders to redress environmental racism

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/157/558/072/

Why targeting the NDP is bad for the Greens and the climate

The NDP and Greens should work together, putting the bold climate ambition that Canadians want — and the world needs — above partisanship.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/03/05/opinion/why-targeting-ndp-bad-greens-climate

Project Save the World

200 (and growing) videos and podcasts of brilliant minds - all interviewed by the indominable Metta Spencer - tackling current environmental and peace issues.

https://tosavetheworld.ca/videos/

ON Petition: We Need A Real Eviction Ban Now

https://www.torontotenants.org/evictionban

Green New Democratic Deal

Ontario's NDP released their plan for climate, jobs, and justice. It includes a phase-out of gas-fired power plants by 2030 and no new nukes (SMRs) unless cost and waste issues are resolved.

https://www.ontariondp.ca/greennewdeal

If you live in Toronto, please send a message to T.O. City Council here in support of the gas-plant phase out.

19 ON municipalities have already signed on, as well as the ONDP and GPO. T.O. Council will vote on Wed. March 10th.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/toronto/

If you're a Canadian, please send a message to your MP and MP Freeland here calling for no federal subsidies for SMRs (small nuclear reactors).

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/no-nuclear-subsidies/

The 7 reasons why nuclear energy is not the answer to solve climate change

https://www.leonardodicaprio.org/the-7-reasons-why-nuclear-energy-is-not-the-answer-to-solve-climate-change/

_______________________

_______________________

Hope Matters

Mon. Mar. 8, 4 p.m. EST

Join Red Sky as we celebrate International Women’s Day with award-winning writer Lee Maracle and her daughters Columpa Bobb and Tania Carter for an indelible conversation about the journey of Indigenous people from colonial beginnings to (re)conciliation.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/redtalk-hope-matters-tickets-138674137077

_______________________

_______________________

Undervaluing Care Work—Unmasking Gender Inequity

Mon. March 8, 6:30 p.m. EST

Join CUPE frontline workers and experts for a panel discussion on the systematic undervaluation of work predominantly performed by women on this special episode taking place on International Women’s Day.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_fRv4oMffSayFVxUuvWbpfQ

_______________________

_______________________

Activism Then & Now: An Antiracism Feminist Cross-Generational Conversation

Mon. March 8, 4 p.m. EST

This event brings together three passionate community-based activists in conversation to explore being antiracism feminist activists.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/activism-then-now-an-antiracism-feminist-cross-generational-conversation-tickets-142915639525

_______________________

_______________________

Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency - with Seth Klein

Tues. March 9, 7 p.m. EST

What if our governments treated the climate crisis like a real crisis? What if we mobilized public resources to fight the climate crisis with the full recognition that our lives and society depend on it? These are the ideas that Seth Klein explores in his new book, A Good War, Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency. The book draws out lessons from Canada’s experience in World War II that we can now apply to fight the climate crisis.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_uQnOe1tsR9iNUbY54z8j7Q

_______________________

_______________________

Growing the Future - Online Cooking Classes for Kids

March 9 - March 30

These classes strive to not only teach about food, nutrition and cooking techniques, but also larger conversations about where our food comes from, how different cooking methods work and why we do certain things while cooking.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdLUNgqmcNzgPXJBIajnu7N6ZArEzi10ePhxRy8fibpmuxrsA/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Why are racialized and Indigenous women still absent from corporate boardrooms?

Wed. Mar. 10, 12:30 EST

Racialized and Indigenous women have been leaning in for decades. Why are they still largely absent from corporate board rooms? Let's discuss:

-Why progress is slow for women of colour. -What levers can we pull on to create change. -Impactful allyship and corporate action

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_woghvo4cReGLqs2VHrxtUQ

_______________________

_______________________

Action for Pension Wealth and Planet Health

Wed. March 10, 1 p.m. EST

Canada’s top ten pension funds alone manage nearly $1.8 trillion. That’s a lot of retirement dollars! Is this money being used to prop up a dying and destructive fossil-fuel industry? Are pension-fund managers making risky investments, ignoring their fiduciary duty to keep your money safe and productive? Will the climate crisis destroy parts of your pension investment portfolio? Join us to find out what you can and should do to protect your pension fund, and the planet.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_tZ-k1WexRTO4ceqekTBdig

_______________________

_______________________

What do Canadians really think about climate change and what’s holding back public demand for action?

Rollup of Current Public Opinion Webinar + Report Launch

Wed. March 10, noon EST

This webinar features findings from a new comprehensive report that summarizes and translates more than 40 surveys published between 2019 and early 2021 into key trends and simple takeaways for climate communicators.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_4-gQZM6GSLugTVdFryp2aA

_______________________

_______________________

Health in the Net-Zero Economy

Wed. March 10, noon EST

Sir Andy Haines will discuss how better health and well-being are both arguments for, and a consequence of, making progress towards “net-zero” carbon emissions, and Dominique Souris will provide an update on the Youth Climate Lab project: Outraged, Overwhelmed and Optimistic, which centres on the need to invest in youth and climate action in the context of COVID-19 recovery.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_McJzhehkSfCW3I_D2nlegQ

_______________________

_______________________

The Impacts of Radiation on Females

Thur. March 11, 9 p.m. EST

Commemorating 10 years since the beginning of the TEPCO nuclear disaster in Fukushima Japan, join Mothers for Peace and Gender and Radiation Impact Project Director, Mary Olson for this webinar. In the atomic age, gender matters. Learn about Olson's work showing greater harm to the female body from radiation than the male body, yet regulators are guided by the health impacts on men. This must change.

https://www.genderandradiation.org/news

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYqdOutqD0sGddniE9O2P4EimnWcl_QtaSV

_______________________

_______________________

Remembering Fukushima 10 Years Later

Thur. March 11, 8 p.m. EST

To mark the ten-year anniversary of the triple nuclear meltdown of the Fukushima Daichii nuclear power plant in Japan, we are hosting a film screening and panel discussion to explore the lasting impacts of the Fukushima nuclear disaster and the problems inherent in the nuclear power industry. We will be screening the film Little Voices From Fukushima by filmmaker Hitomi Kamanaka, followed by a panel discussion. The film begins streaming on March 1st and is available until March 11th. The panel discussion will happen at 8 p.m., EST, March 11.

https://www.oregonpsr.org/remembering_fukushima_ten_years_later

_______________________

_______________________

The impact of Canadian mining on Indigenous rights in Mexico

Thur. March 11, 3:30 EST

65% of foreign mining companies in Mexico are listed in Canada. Peace Brigades International (in Mexico and Canada) and Amnesty International Canada are hosting this webinar which will highlight:

– the experiences of the Indigenous communities in Mexico  with Canadian mining companies

– the need for Canadian companies operating in Mexico to respect the UN recognized Indigenous right to free, prior and informed consent

– what people in Canada can do to hold the Canadian government and mining companies accountable for the infringement of human rights.

https://pbicanada.org/2021/02/18/webinar-mining-mexico-march-11/

_______________________

_______________________

Ten Years Fukushima Nuclear Disaster: Rio de Janeiro International Uranium Film Festival

Free Online Screening available March 11 - 18

https://uraniumfilmfestival.org/en/fukushima-2021

_______________________

_______________________

Perspectives on a Global Green New Deal - Book Launch

Thur. March 11, 2:30 p.m. EST

In combining the struggle against climate breakdown with the fight for economic and social justice, the GND framing makes a long overdue case for a holistic, proactive economic, social, cultural and political response to climate change in the Global North. But what would it mean for the GND to work on a global level? How can we think beyond the boundaries of national politics, in favour of a truly transnational approach? Unless grounded in principles of global justice, the promise of green jobs and infrastructure in the Global North could simply mean a continuation of colonial patterns of inequality and exploitation around the world.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/perspectives-on-a-global-green-new-deal/

_______________________

_______________________

A Quick Tour of World Climate Leaders

Effective Climate Policy & Accountability: International Best Practices & Lessons Learned

Thurs, March 11, 11 a.m. - noon EST

Alina Averchenkova is the Policy Lead in the Grantham Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at the London School of Economics. She is recognized internationally as the co-author of several key reports and articles on effective climate policy in the UK as well as on best practices/lessons learned in effective climate policy/accountability/transparency internationally.

https://ucalgary.zoom.us/j/95030440222

Meeting ID: 950 3044 0222  Passcode: 860885

_______________________

_______________________

Workers’ Struggles

Thursday, March 11, 11 am - 12:30 pm EST

https://glrc.info.yorku.ca/program-social-justice-movements-in-the-changed-reality-of-the-pandemic-and-beyond/

https://yorku.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_f7R-FbMUQbSHrYcgOrPqxA

_______________________

_______________________

Virtual Letter Writing Party

Thur. March 11, 11 a.m. - noon EST

Join members of For the Love of Creation on the Sacred People Sacred Earth Day of Action for a virtual letter writing party. Drop in and learn more about our Faith in Action campaign, take part in advocacy action, and connect with other change-makers.

https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJ0sduGvrTIjGNLhr80C4M6Qvui03umS5Ig1

_______________________

_______________________

Ag-Gag Laws & the Public’s Right to Know

Thur. March 11, 3 p.m. EST

Alberta and Ontario “Ag-Gag“ laws seek to prevent whistleblowers, undercover journalists, and animal advocates from reporting on animal treatment, public health threats, unsafe working conditions, and environmental offences at farms and slaughterhouses. Join a panel of experts who discuss what this may mean for press freedom and democratic rights in Canada.

https://ryerson.zoom.us/j/91941276567#success

_______________________

_______________________

Kitchen Table Climate Conversation Webcast Series

Mon. March 15, 7 - 9 p.m.

Some of the most important subjects are the most difficult to talk about. This 2nd in a 4-part series focuses on A Model Conversation.  With Kitchen Table Climate Conversations (KTCC’s), we support you in reaching out and gathering people round your virtual table for an open but structured conversation about climate justice.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/part-2-a-model-conversation-registration-133872842275

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - my source for global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/