Greenspiration News & Events: Happy Earth Day

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Apr 19 00:10:09 EDT 2021

Ask MPs to prioritize first law recognizing environmental rights

Parliament should strengthen and pass Bill C-28

https://davidsuzuki.org/action/update-cepa/

Budget may reveal extent of federal support for risky new nuclear reactors

More than 100 Indigenous and civil society groups across Canada are now opposed to the new nuclear reactors, which are being pushed by the federal government and four provinces -- Saskatchewan, Ontario, New Brunswick and Alberta -- as so-called "clean energy" and a supposed solution to climate change. But opponents call SMRs "dirty, dangerous and distracting" from real climate solutions.

https://rabble.ca/news/2021/04/budget-may-reveal-extent-federal-support-risky-new-nuclear-reactors

Tell Ottawa: no more funding for nuclear reactors!

https://cleanairalliance.org/smr/smraction.html

Radiation and Gender: The Effect of Radiation on Women

95 min. webinar recording. We deepen our investigation into deleterious health impacts we see from 79 years of nuclear weapons and nuclear power, focusing on the fact that radiation has a far stronger effect on women than on men both in terms of cancers and in terms of leadership.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5SFcITQHJg&t=1s

Canada's New Infrastructure Bank is Looking Like a Climate Bust

The Trudeau government’s new Infrastructure Bank is off to a bad start with a decision to support a project that will increase greenhouse gas emissions. The bank is ready to hand out $655 million in the form of a low-interest loan (thanks to federal support) to a company that wants to build a transmission line across Lake Erie.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/infrastructure-bank-looking-like-a-climate-bust/

Climate change: Global 'elite' will need to slash high-carbon lifestyles

The combined emissions of the richest 1% of the global population account for more than twice the combined emissions of the poorest 50%. This elite will need to reduce their footprint by a factor of 30 to stay in line with the Paris Agreement targets.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-55229725

Sign the emergency petition calling on Trudeau to reject the oil lobby and deliver ambitious climate action

https://act.leadnow.ca/climate-summit/

Building Momentum for a Just Transition in Canada - Perspectives from civil society

https://www.iisd.org/publications/building-just-transition-canada-civil-society

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Safe Cycling 101

Mon. April 19, 5 - 6 p.m. EST

Cycle Toronto will guide you through everything you need to know to bike with confidence. Topics include: equipment and bike fit, safe riding techniques, rules and responsibilities, interactions with others, and choosing your route.

https://socialinnovation.org/event_auto/safe-cycling-101/

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Toronto Town Hall - with Toronto NDP MPPs

Monday, April 19, 6 pm EST

Join our Ontario NDP Toronto MPPs for an emergency Toronto Town Hall to hear from your neighbours and ask questions. We'll talk about the covid crisis, Doug Ford's carding rather than paid sick days, police state for essential workers, regulations, and now Ford wants to close the legislature by Wed.

https://www.ontariondp.ca/emergency-toronto-town-hall

Press release: https://www.petertabuns.ca/ford_plans_to_shut_down_queen_s_park_horwath_to_refuse_until_ford_replaces_police_state_with_public_health

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Ventures Conversations: Dr. Melissa Lem

Tues. April 20, noon - 1 p.m. EST

Dr. Melissa Lem, a family physician, Director of PaRx, and President-Elect of the Canadian Association of Physicians for the Environment will discuss the nature-health connection in the context of the climate crisis and a just, green recovery to COVID-19.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/climate-ventures-conversations-dr-melissa-lem-tickets-148507643359

_______________________

_______________________

Organize now for a decent work future

Tues. April 20, 7 - 9 p.m. EST

The Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) and the Fight for $15 and Fairness are co-hosting online decent work organizing meetings every month.

https://www.15andfairness.org/org_mtg_april20_2021

_______________________

_______________________

Africa Uprising: Activism and Resistance on the Continent

Tuesday, April 20, 3 - 4:30 pm EST

Across the continent, social movements are rising up and taking to the streets. Organizing against police brutality, militarism, budget and subsidy cuts and for democracy, human rights and liberation, activists are building on a long tradition of struggle to demand change. Join us for a live conversation with organizers from the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Nigeria and Sudan on lessons from their movements and building international solidarity.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/africa-uprising-activism-and-resistance-on-the-continent-tickets-147870437459

_______________________

_______________________

It's time for Toronto to ditch single use plastic

Tuesday, April 20, 6:30 p.m. - 8 p.m. EST

Join Councillor Gord Perks and Parkdale High-Park for Climate for a conversation about what our local governments, businesses and individuals can do to play their part to ditch plastic.

https://bit.ly/3svPRfy

_______________________

_______________________

Repair Cafes

Tuesdays April 20, 27 and May 4

Join our crew of 'fixers' to learn how to maintain - and repair - your sewing machine, small appliance, computer, or bike!

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/repair-cafe-online-tickets-150018213515

_______________________

_______________________

Overcoming the Crises of Climate Change, Covid-19, and Nuclear Challenges on Pacific and First Nations Communities

Wed. Apr. 21, 8 p.m. EST

Forum with speakers from around the world.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAscOGhqT8qEteZMJ8_lDoBVYzNDRwX5qaf

_______________________

_______________________

How Housing and Homelessness Affects Us All

Wed. April 21, 7 p.m. EST

With Cathy Crowe, a long-time Street Nurse who works in the area of social justice nursing. She is a frequent guest lecturer and commentator on subjects related to homelessness, housing, advocacy, activism and social justice. Cathy is also a ground-breaking author and documentary filmmaker.

https://www.facebook.com/events/3790669787691586/

https://zoom.us/j/97095298517?pwd=cnlpU2Y3eHA2WVN4WWhvam9OalgxQT09

_______________________

_______________________

Hot Takes on the Federal Budget

Wed. Apr. 21, 3 - 4 p.m. EST

Panel discusses where are we going with the Canada's Feminist Foreign Policy.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/hot-takes-on-the-federal-budget-tickets-149179151859

_______________________

_______________________

Shadow of Gold: Documentary Film Panel Discussion: Understanding and Teaching Global Mining Issues

Wed. April 21, 7:30 p.m. EST

Educators increasingly understand the connections between the environment, climate, and social justice. But what about mining justice? As one of the most economically important metals, gold continues to be mined in Canada and around the world with profoundly negative impacts on people and the planet. Do you know where the gold in your ring comes from?

https://www.universe.com/events/shadow-of-gold-documentary-film-panel-discussion-tickets-brighton-B2J5ZQ

_______________________

_______________________

The Power to Act - Climate Change and Proportional Representation

Wednesday, April 21, 7 - 8 p.m. EST

Join Fair Vote Toronto for a webinar with Fridays For Future Toronto, exploring the challenges and opportunities electoral systems create through the lens of pursuing strong climate policy. Our panelists will explore climate action, activist strategy and the political potential of adopting proportional representation, an electoral system that gives voters the power to act by rewarding cooperation over competition.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/2516173180966/WN_AUOx7-kjSpWYyDtz3egEvg

_______________________

_______________________

The Liberal Climate Action Formula: A Recipe for Failure

Wed. April 21, 1 - 2 p.m. EST

Are you confused by the many “green” announcements being made by the federal Liberals? Did you have trouble wrapping your head around the Liberal climate plan released last December? Terry Moore and David Robertson looked at the climate plan in depth and examined more recent announcements on blue hydrogen, carbon capture, and small nuclear reactors. They released a report on their findings:  “The Liberal Climate Action Formula: A Recipe for Failure.”

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_o-nP-9siTX-0FobR69tm2w

_______________________

_______________________

Climate & Artists - Infinite Possibilities and Solutions

Free Bi-Weekly Wednesday Webinar Series, 2 p.m. EST until May 19th, 2021

https://creativelyunited.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Food Forum

Wed. April 21 and 28, 6:30 - 9 p.m. EST

For the past 2 years, people from around Ontario have gathered to discuss shared concerns and issues with our current industrial food system. We invite everyone who is ready to roll up their sleeves and work towards a future where food is a human right and growing food is an exercise in earth stewardship.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/2021-emergency-food-forum-tickets-149784452329

_______________________

_______________________

Healing Our Earth Together

Thur. April 22, 6 pm EST

This Earth Day, join us as we take a pause to reflect on how to better respect, protect and restore our planet’s life support systems, so that we can chart a path to a flourishing future for the generations to come, and heal ourselves in the process. Amazing speakers and inspiring message offered by ClimateFast & DrawdownToronto.

https://bit.ly/3gjsJi0

_______________________

_______________________

Canada's Radioactive Waste: Abandonment vs. Rolling Stewardship

Thur. April 22, 7 p.m. EST

With Dr. Gordon Edwards, President of Canadians for Nuclear Responsibility

Register by sending an email to: environmentnorth at gmail.com

http://www.environmentnorth.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Tic Talk Circle

Thurs. April 22, 6:30-8 pm EST

We meet once a month to support climate workers, peer-to-peer, who need a place to explore emotional reactions to climate breakdown.

https://www.kadycowan.com/climatetictalk.html

_______________________

_______________________

>From the Ground Up II: Taking Action

Thursday, April 22 - Sunday, April 25

How do we build power in our communities and workplaces for climate justice? How can we mobilise millions of people into taking action? How can we organize to win? This gathering will provide a space for activists and community members to discuss, plan and strategize. This 2nd global gathering is hosted by the COP26 Coalition.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/from-the-ground-up-ii-taking-action-registration-144664839429

_______________________

_______________________

Earth Day 2021 with Elizabeth May and violinist Yolanda Bruno

Thur. Apr. 22, 7 p.m. EST

You can’t tell the story of environmentalism in Canada without Elizabeth May. May got started in the 80s fighting pesticides, for ozone protection, and for green gov't. May helmed Canada’s Green Party from 2006 until stepping down in 2019. Over those 13 years, she led the party from obscurity to prominence through a seismic shift in culture as the climate crisis became a pressing international concern. Her tireless work ethic has garnered bipartisan respect.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qYsguYGaSxCMxHzV8c9xSw

_______________________

_______________________

A Good War – Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency - with Seth Klein

Thur. Apr. 22, 2 p.m. EST

How can we take large-scale climate action to provide a healthy world for future generations? The task is daunting–but there’s hope. Canadian author Seth Klein’s new book, A Good War, explores how we can align our politics and economy with what the science says we must do to address the climate crisis.

https://sierraclub.bc.ca/webinar-a-good-war-mobilizing-canada-for-the-climate-emergency/

_______________________

_______________________

Blue Scarf Earth Day Rally

Fri. April 23, 7 p.m. EST

The Innu People are being threatened with NATO’s Fighter Jets practice fields and training camps. They put pressure and pain on the people and the land, and as activists in Canada for peace and the environment we shall join them in the struggle to protect the land of the original peoples.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/blue-scarf-earth-day-rally

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Live Concert

Saturday, April 24

Climate Live Canada is a group of youth climate activists and musicians that are planning concerts here in Canada as a part of a larger international movement.

https://www.climatelive.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Living With Chernobyl: Personal stories from the world's worst nuclear disaster

Sun. April 25, noon EST

What was it like to live through the 1986 Chernobyl disaster, or to deal with its health and environmental legacy 35 years on? We look at how these stories are told — as documentary testimonials, as imagined through a novel, as investigated historically, and as lived by children and their families in Belarus. The event features a moderated round table discussion with guests, followed by an audience Q&A.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/living-with-chernobyl-personal-stories-tickets-148769279921

_______________________

_______________________

The Bay of Fundy: Natural Wonder or Nuclear Industry Test Site?

Monday, April 26, 6:30 - 8 pm EST

The 35th anniversary of the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant disaster with:

Dr. Susan O’Donnell, University of New Brunswick

Chief Hugh Akagi, Peskotomuhkati Nation, The Bay of Fundy and Peskotomuhkati peoples

Dr. Gordon Edwards, Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility

Dr. Dale Dewar, Former Executive Director, Physicians for Global Survival, Chernobyl: What we learned about the health impacts from a nuclear disaster

https://unbvirtualclasses.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-RvkSs7aQTWEW4p4KNC2Ng

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/