Greenspiration News & Events: Land Back

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun May 30 23:02:39 EDT 2021

Climate emergency! Weak climate change act being steamrolled through Parliament - by Green MP Elizabeth May

The so-called climate accountability bill was set at such a low bar that it creates “accountability” in name only.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/05/28/opinion/climate-emergency-weak-climate-change-act-being-steamrolled-through-parliament

More info here:

https://climateactionnetwork.ca/2020/11/25/technical-recommendations-for-bill-c-12-the-net-zero-emissions-accountability-act/

Help push the Environment Committee to strengthen Bill C-12 today. Please take a few minutes and call, email (or both) the Liberal, NDP and Block Environment Committee members, as well as Justin Trudeau, Jonanthan Wilkinson and Jagmeet Singh.

Expect A Wave of Climate Lawsuits Against Big Oil Following Shell's Case

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Expect-A-Wave-Of-Climate-Lawsuits-Against-Big-Oil-Following-Shells-Case.html

Canada's nuclear ambitions — linchpin of a carbon-free future or a path to 'greenwash' tar sands?

A group of U.S. nuclear non-proliferation experts is warning the Canadian government that its investment to kick-start a small nuclear reactor program could reignite an arms race and threaten the environment.

https://www.tricitynews.com/highlights/canadas-nuclear-ambitions-linchpin-of-a-carbon-free-future-or-a-path-to-greenwash-tar-sands-3819407

Speak out on Canada's Radioactive Waste Policy

Natural Resources Canada has had the lead in the policy review, but the Minister of Natural Resources had put the nuclear industry in charge of a parallel process to develop radioactive waste management strategies. Public interest groups have objected strenuously to this arrangement. Learn more and send a message here.

https://nuclearwastewatch.weebly.com/Action.html

Tell Ottawa: No Funding for SMRs

Small Modular Nuclear Reactors are a dirty, dangerous distraction from climate action.

https://cleanairalliance.org/smr/smraction.html

Support the Land Back movement

June is National Indigenous History Month. The David Suzuki Foundation has produced a new video series on land governance in Canada, past, present and future.

Past: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sVg0Cvqh3k&t=0s

Present: https://youtu.be/UsyyYeVHGJ0

Future: https://youtu.be/McVEgEA4qvg

We Need a National Intercity Public Transit Service Now

Greyhound announced that it is cancelling services permanently, leaving Canadians across the country without intercity bus services. Write to the Transport Minister, Prime Minister and Members of the Parliamentary Transportation Committee to say that we need a public, nationalized intercity bus service.

https://actionnetwork.org/letters/email-your-mp-we-need-a-national-intercity-public-transit-service-now/

27 municipalities – representing more than half of Ontario – call for gas plant phase-out

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/27-municipalities-representing-more-than-half-of-ontario-call-for-gas-plant-phase-out/

Individuals can sign on: www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Massey Is Missing COP26 - Trade and Climate Change: Competition or in Conflict?

Monday, May 31, noon - 1 p.m. EST

Join experts as they explore whether the WTO-based trade regime and Paris framework for addressing climate change pursue competing objectives or are compatible in a way that promotes environmental stewardship and sustainable economic growth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usw6uM8G0-M

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Agriculture & Nature

Mon. May 31, 7 - 8 p.m. EST

Join us as we explore Indigenous teachings and learn about the importance of cultivating relationships between people and plants. Carolynne Crawley from Miinikaan Innovation and Design will share Indigenous teachings and learnings about food, medicines and habitats. Discover Indigenous garden design techniques that will not only make your garden beautiful and bountiful but also help improve the local ecology in your area.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/indigenous-agriculture-nature-tickets-154575219643

_______________________

_______________________

June is Bike Month in Toronto

Bike Month is a great time to try riding a bike for the first time, rediscover the joy of riding or share the magic with the next generation of cyclists. Get involved by joining one of the many virtual events across the city. Enter the Bike Month contest by logging your trips or complete an activity on the Bike Month Bingo card for a chance to win a $25 credit for a free meal on Ritual or a $50 gift card to a local bike shop.

https://bikemonth.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Ride in support of the Africa Climate Action Initiative

June 1 - 6

The Canada Africa Partnership Ride is an annual bike-a-thon where Canadians rally together to raise funds for community-led impact in African communities. Africa is the continent the most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, which is causing food insecurity, health challenges, poverty, conflicts and forced migration. Learn more, donate, join the ride as an individual or join one of the participating teams here.

https://canadaafricapartnershipride.ca/acai/

_______________________

_______________________

Financial Incentives for Pursuing NetZero

Tues. June 1, 7 p.m. EST

Learn about the new financial incentives available for electric vehicles and climate friendly home renovations.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/financial-incentives-for-pursuing-netzero-tickets-156185455903

_______________________

_______________________

The People's AGM: RBC's True Climate Impact

Wed. June 2, 7 p.m. EST

RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) has plowed over $208 billion into fossil fuels since the Paris Agreement, but they claim they’re climate leaders. Join the first annual People’s AGM on RBC’s True Climate Impact to hear about their behind-the-scenes investments in destructive fossil fuels and the real life consequences for Indigenous and frontline communities. Co-hosted by: Stand.earth, Leadnow, Banking on a Better Future, Greenpeace, and North99

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIlcuiuqDouHdGWMF3-hCWAd4m4_JgAVeR0

_______________________

_______________________

Calling All Art Workers - Your Planet Needs You

Wed. June 2, noon - 6:30 p.m. EST

Canada’s performing arts community is invited to a free online gathering of some of Canada's most knowledgeable and inspiring climate leaders, activists and educators. The Green Session: A Day of Learning is designed to give us the tools we need to sound the alarm on the climate emergency in the most effective, impactful way. Find out where we stand on climate action in Canada, where we need to go, and how fast we need to get there.

https://hopin.com/events/greensessions

_______________________

_______________________

Our Health on Thin Ice: Panel Discussions on Climate Change & Health

Wed. June 2, 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. EST

Join us as we explore multidisciplinary perspectives on the interactions between climate change and health, as well as future directions for climate change in Canada.

https://hopin.com/events/uoft-talks-climate-change

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Action in Etobicoke

Thursday, June 3, 7 pm EST

You are invited to share your concerns about climate change, learn about the City’s #TransformTO climate change plans, and meet some Etobicoke innovators sharing their solutions for a greener Etobicoke and a cooler planet. Presented by KAIROS Toronto West and Climate Action Etobicoke.

http://bit.ly/EtobicokeClimate

_______________________

_______________________

Fair Vote Canada’s 2021 Conference

June 4-5

We’ll review the past year, learn from expert guests, connect with supporters across the country, and build our movement for proportional representation.

https://www.fairvote.ca/fair-vote-canada-20th-anniversary-conference/

Lessons Learned and Looking Ahead

Panel with Andrew Coyne, Judy Rebick, Hugh Segal and Elizabeth May

Fri. June 4, 7 p.m.

On the 20th anniversary of Fair Vote Canada, our guests will reflect on why PR (proportional representation) matters more than ever and lessons learned from decades of advocacy.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_wWHkbRCATZ2fRahblH9ADw

_______________________

_______________________

#NoWar2021 Virtual Conference: From Weapons Fairs to War Zones: Unraveling the War Machine

June 4 - 6

Instead of pouring trillions into weaponry, the world must invest in a just recovery from the pandemic and a green new deal that includes a just transition for arms industry workers. Panels, discussion groups, workshops, and trainings will cover a range of topics, such as: how to shut down a weapons expo, weapons in space, the global arms trade, war’s environmental footprint, divestment, digital storytelling, nonviolent civil resistance, and more.

https://nowar2021.worldbeyondwar.org/register/

_______________________

_______________________

The University of Eco-sustainability

Every Sat. 5 - 7 EST

We, the peoples of all nations of Earth, meet online every Saturday, improving our lives and the lives of the peoples around us.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1840973649369465

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/