Greenspiration News & Events: Breaking Boundaries

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 7 00:56:32 EDT 2021

Breaking Boundaries: The Science of Our Planet

Humanity has pushed Earth beyond the boundaries that have kept Earth stable for 10,000 years, since the dawn of civilization. 75-min. Netflix documentary.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb6wQtNjblk

10 min. preview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Jq23mSDh9U

7 ways to support Indigenous people grieving in wake of news about 215 children

https://indiginews.com/okanagan/non-indigenous-people-heres-what-you-can-do-in-wake-of-kirs-news

Canada's embarrassing climate record is worst of G7 nations

Canada has had the highest emission growth of its G7 peers since the Paris Agreement was signed. While ours continue to rise (as well as the US's), the other 5 nations are falling. It's time to cancel the Trans Mountain pipeline expansion and the Keystone XL pipeline, as well as the liquefied natural gas (LNG) export industry under development in BC.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/06/01/news/canadas-climate-record-worst-g7-countries

‘Black Wednesday’ for big oil as courtrooms and boardrooms turn on industry

Campaigners sense turning point as shareholders, boards and The Hague act to force Chevron, ExxonMobil and Shell to cut pollution. “Anyone who cares about the climate has felt times of panic, and despair, and helplessness. The ruling is a beacon of hope.”

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/may/29/black-wednesday-for-big-oil-as-courtrooms-and-boardrooms-turn-on-industry

The ‘Mean Greens’ Are Forcing Exxon to Clean Up Its Act

The Stone Age did not end because we ran out of stones; it ended because we invented bronze tools. And so it will be with oil: The petroleum age will end because we invent superior technology that coexists harmoniously with nature. That time has come.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/01/opinion/exxon-mobil-board.html

Say No to Big Coal

Learn more and tell the federal government to protect the Rocky Mountains and rivers

https://canadians.org/coal

We’re Going to Have Fairy Creeks Happen All the Time

As tensions escalate and arrest tallies grow at logging blockades on Vancouver Island, The Narwhal spoke with one of the foresters tapped to help the province navigate its old-growth woes.

https://popularresistance.org/were-going-to-have-fairy-creeks-happen-all-the-time/

Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty

Just as fifty years ago the world needed a treaty to defuse the threats posed by nuclear weapons of mass destruction - the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty - the world today needs a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty to phase out fossil fuels.

http://fossilfueltreaty.org

10 Cities Embracing Bicycles in their Urban Planning

https://www.archdaily.com/962649/10-cities-embracing-bicycles-in-their-urban-planning

Summer Internship with IPPNWC

International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War Canada is inviting summer internships. Apply now for a chance to work with a Nobel Peace Prize Affiliate. Open to all Canadian high school and undergraduate students. Apply by June 10th, 2021.

https://www.ippnwcanada.ca/archive/intern-with-ippnwc-summer-2021

It’s Time to Phase out Gas Power

By any measure, economic or environmental, ON's plan to ramp up gas power is a troubling roadmap. And it is taking Ontario taxpayers into the most ideologically driven and wrong-headed misadventure.

https://burlingtongazette.ca/rivers-is-it-time-to-phase-out-natural-gas/

We need to stop OPG’s GTA nuclear reactor plan now

Ontario Power Generation’s (OPG’s) plan to build a new nuclear reactor at the Darlington Nuclear Station – in the backyard of millions of people – is irrational, dangerous and unnecessary. Help us get the facts out. Distribute our new GTA Reactor pamphlet to your friends, family and community - they're free. And send an email using our action tool to provincial leaders saying NO to New Nuclear in the GTA and YES to renewables and conservation!

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/we-need-to-stop-opgs-gta-nuclear-reactor-plan-now/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Where Indigenous knowledge, biology, politics, social justice and climate intersect

Mon. June 7, 7 - 8:30 p.m. EST

On UN Environment Day we examine the impact agriculture has on climate and how agriculture can be a climate solution. First in a series: Food + Land + Climate = Groundwork for Change: A five-part series on the food system - from the politics, justice, sovereignty, access, climate and more.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/food-land-climate-groundwork-for-change-tickets-156982233085

_______________________

_______________________

War and the Environment

June 7 - July 18

Online course hosted by World Beyond War. Grounded in research on peace and ecological security, this course focusses on the relationship between two existential threats: war and environmental catastrophe.

https://actionnetwork.org/ticketed_events/war-and-the-environment-june-7-july-18-2021-online-course-registration

_______________________

_______________________

Public Funding for Fossil Fuels: From Part of the Problem to Part of the Solution

Tuesday,  June 8, 1 – 2 p.m. EST

Speakers will discuss the nature and extent of funding from governments in Canada (federal and provincial) for fossil fuel production. Funding comes in different guises—including direct financing, loan insurance, subsidies and tax breaks. Their contention is that these various sources of financing should be identified and phased out as quickly as possible and reallocated to green technology and renewable energy. Organized by The Group of 78 and Climate Legacy

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/public-funding-for-fossil-fuels-from-part-of-the-problem-to-part-of-the-so-tickets-154581299829

_______________________

_______________________

Oceans Trivia Night

Tuesday, June 8, 8 - 9 p.m. EST

Did you know that all the Great Lakes flow into the Atlantic Ocean? Celebrate World Oceans Day with A Greener Future.

https://www.agreenerfuture.ca/events/2021/4/22/oceans-trivia-night

_______________________

_______________________

Chalk River Nuclear wastes - Ottawa river

Tues. June 8, 6:30 p.m. EST

At a time when the defenders of the Ottawa River, ancestral Algonquin territory, are calling to preserve the water quality of the great river, dedicated experts and environmentalists are mobilizing to prevent the unthinkable: a proposed near surface disposal facility for radioactive wastes at Chalk River, near the Ottawa River or Kichi Sibi (Algonquin). These radioactive wastes could contaminate the drinking water source of millions of people in Quebec. What is this radioactive waste site in Chalk River? What are the risks? What has been done to ensure the safety of the populations concerned? At which stage are we in the federal consultation process to modernize the Canadian policy on radioactive waste? Translation English /French. Hosted by Sierra Club Québec

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/85350305062?fbclid=IwAR3njD5cDGpzY9zSgdt31FRVmMjAujgKcD09krxpH8GmxfzqUDD4K3prifc#success

_______________________

_______________________

Creative Activism Workshop

Wed. June 9, 6 pm EST

The social problems we’re working to address are often scary and rage-inducing, but our work toward change doesn’t have to be! Making space for creativity in our tactics and strategies can help us reach people we don’t know yet, change people’s minds, and bring life and joy into our work. Join us for an introductory workshop to hear stories of creative actions taken by people in our movements, and to practice building creativity into existing strategies for change. Hosted by the Council of Canadians.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcpdu6hpzIuH9CNEZ0nqzNxCO3-I2EbBCLC

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario ACORN - Day of Action for Housing

Wed. June 9, 1:30 p.m. EST

Join ACORN members from all over Ontario to demand rent relief, no COVID evictions and a reversal on the decision to make all LTB hearings online only. Doug Ford has extended the stay-at-home order but has ended the ban on evictions. Housing is health, and mass evictions will worsen COVID and destroy low-and-moderate income tenant communities. ACORN members from all over Ontario are coming together to demand the Province re-instate a full ban on evictions, provide rent relief to all tenants in arrears, and reverse its decision to make LTB hearings permanently online.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwtde6rqjoqGtLqNIzO4t-cpr7reLUoL4uX

_______________________

_______________________

Is your HOOPP pension contributing to the climate crisis?

Wednesday, June 9, 12 – 1 p.m. EST

Shift Action for Pension Wealth and Planet Health is a charitable project that tracks the fossil fuel investments of Canadian pension funds and mobilizes beneficiaries to engage their fund managers and shift their retirement savings away from fossil fuels and into climate solutions. On June 9th, Shift is partnering with the Community Health Climate Action Initiative to host a webinar on the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP) and the climate crisis. Participants will learn about HOOPP’s investments in fossil fuels, how HOOPP is managing the financial risks of climate change, and what it means for the pension savings of Ontario healthcare workers. Please share widely with working and retired Ontario healthcare workers in your life who want their pension invested in a safe climate future.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-healthcare-of-ontario-pension-plan-and-the-climate-crisis-tickets-148086531803

_______________________

_______________________

Growing a Movement of Zero Waste High-Rises

Wed. June 9, 5 p.m. EST

After TEA (Toronto Environmental Alliance) launched an online program in fall 2020 to achieve zero-waste high-rises, residents and building staff from over 50 apartments, condos and co-ops from across Toronto joined and took steps in the project. Now, we’re celebrating eight leading buildings from the program that developed and implemented action plans that reduce waste. Learn more and celebrate.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/highrise_celebration_event

_______________________

_______________________

One Earth: People of Colour Protecting Our Planet Workshop

Wed. June 9, 8 p.m. EST

Join One Earth author Anuradha Rao and guests for a conversation about the intersections between race, culture and environment, including systemic racism and white supremacy within the mainstream western environmental movement.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ABhNg_tnQPW6G-HvGIElvA

_______________________

_______________________

Foundations of Doughnut Economics

Wed. June 9, 16, 23, and 30

In this course, Kate Raworth will take you through the fundamentals of Doughnut Economics and demonstrate how and why it is rapidly gaining traction as a viable alternative to our current economic systems. The Earth’s resources are not infinite, and living within social and planetary boundaries is of key concern to each of us. Economic theories that are built on infinite expansion must shift to a focus on thriving in balance.

https://www.ubiquityuniversity.org/courses/foundations-of-doughnut-economics-with-kate-raworth/

_______________________

_______________________

Falling in Love with the Earth: Embracing Compassion for All Life

Sun. - Wed. June 13 - 16

With Stephen and Hillary Scharper. We propose that our ecological crisis involves a re-examination of the human at the species level, inseparably related to and in deep interdependence with the nonhuman world. We are invited to a compassionate ecology in which “love, respect, and admiration” for the biotic community plays a central role. This event will be live-streamed from the Canadian Ecology Centre, nestled among the three-hundred-year-old white pines, howling wolves, meandering moose, and boisterous blue jays.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/aste-2021-falling-in-love-with-the-earth-embracing-compassion-for-all-life-tickets-150943641495

_______________________

_______________________

Campaign for the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty

Mon. June 14, 7 - 9 p.m. EST

Join the movement for a fossil fuel free future. Learn about the global campaign for a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty https://fossilfueltreaty.org/ and about the campaign for Toronto to endorse the Treaty. Organized by ClimateFast and other member groups in the Toronto Climate action community.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAofuurqD8sH9CRVTXMRNv4pg85jdVbFaKl

_______________________

_______________________

The Atom: A Love Affair

Canadian Film Premiere and Panel

-- Watch the Film -- June 23 to 28

Nearly everyone has an opinion about nuclear power but far fewer know its history and the complex social and political forces that have shaped it. The Atom: A Love Affair tells the inside story of how we got here over seven eventful decades. Capturing both the tantalizing promise and the repeated disappointments, the film reveals how the post-war, romantic fantasy of an atom-powered future developed into the stormy, on-off relationship still playing out today. This is the turbulent story of the West's love-hate relationship with nuclear power over the past 70 years. 90 minutes. $10

Watch the trailer and the film:

https://watch.showandtell.film/watch/atom-film-canada

-- Panel Discussion with UK film producer/director and Canadians working for a nuclear-free future

Mon. June 28, 7 p.m. EST

Canada has supported the nuclear industry since the 1940’s. From coast to coast to coast we now have a stockpile of toxic radioactive tailings from uranium mines to nuclear sites all along the nuclear fuel chain. Seventy years later we’re still searching for a long-term solution to store the deadly waste which will need to be isolated from the environment for a million years. And now industry is begging for more taxpayer hand-outs to build out more nuclear reactors – SMRs (small modular nuclear reactors). Learn why this should concern you and what the alternatives are. The webinar will be hosted and moderated by Angela Bischoff of the  Ontario Clean Air Alliance and will feature:

- Film Producer/Director Vicki Lesley @tennerfilms

- Dr. Susan O’Donnell, University of New Brunswick addressing the push for SMRs in Canada (small modular nuclear reactors)

- Brennain Lloyd, Northwatch addressing the problem of nuclear waste in Canada

- Dr. Gordon Edwards, Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility addressing the connection between SMRs and weapons proliferation

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-atom-a-love-affair-post-film-panel-discussion-tickets-157669665213

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/