Greenspiration News & Events: The Atom: A Love Affair

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 21 10:53:35 EDT 2021

In honour of Pride Month and Indigenous History Month, let us celebrate diversity and inclusion...

This Indigenous Peoples Day, do these three things to be an accomplice:

1. Lift the burden of education off the shoulders of your Indigenous friends and colleagues. Watch and share this video series on land governance in Canada, featuring some of Canada’s most prominent Indigenous thought leaders, activists and accomplices. https://davidsuzuki.org/what-you-can-do/what-is-land-back/

2. Interested in land repatriation initiatives? Find out whose traditional territories you’re on and start the conversation. https://geo.aadnc-aandc.gc.ca/cippn-fnpim/index-eng.html

3. Send this letter to the prime minister and your premier: Canadian land governance must respect Indigenous rights https://davidsuzuki.org/action/canadian-land-governance-must-respect-indigenous-rights/

Nunavut MP Mumilaaq Qaqqaq on leaving politics, and why she feels no pride in Canada

Watch her 10 min. speech here

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-the-wednesday-edition-1.6067864/nunavut-mp-mumilaaq-qaqqaq-on-leaving-politics-and-why-she-feels-no-pride-in-canada-1.6068158

Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty

https://fossilfueltreaty.org

Write a letter to the Mayor and Councillor (if in Toronto) - there will be a vote on this July 15 - www.climatefast.ca/Act-Now for model letter

You can see our launch video at this youtube link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZFpS2KQFHE

Breaking Boundaries: The Science of Our Planet

New mind-blowing documentary by David Attenborough

https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/81336476

The G7 Shows Yet Again It’s a Colossal Failure on Climate

https://below2c.org/2021/06/the-g7-shows-yet-again-its-a-colossal-failure-on-climate/

No Change in Fossil Fuel Use Despite ‘Tremendous’ Global Growth of Renewables, Report Finds

https://theenergymix.com/2021/06/15/no-change-in-fossil-fuel-use-despite-tremendous-global-growth-of-renewables-report-finds/

Protect old growth forests from logging

The last giants are falling in British Columbia. Old growth forests, home to tall, ancient trees, are still being commercially logged. Now, less than 1% of forests in B.C. are home to stands of large, old trees. Sign the petition urging the B.C. government to ban logging for the most at-risk old growth forests.

https://act.stand.earth/page/30571/petition/1

Send a message to key undecided Senators to pass Canada’s climate law

https://act.leadnow.ca/c12-sen-ett1/

Radioactive! Podcast with Brennain Lloyd about nuclear waste in Canada

https://anchor.fm/sarah-gabrielle-baron/episodes/Nuclear-Waste-e11vrhs

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Why Canada Needs an Agenda for Disarmament

Monday, June 21, 7 p.m. EST

The Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) is hosting a civil society meeting to build a grassroots national campaign to get the federal government to create an Agenda for Disarmament for Canada and to get all the political parties to make disarmament a priority. Help us stop the procurement of new weapons systems and the growing militarization of Canadian foreign policy and put disarmament and diplomacy at the centre of our international affairs. Hosted by the Voice of Women for Peace and supported by Science for Peace.

Register here: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUqdu2vqzksGdDFg8qySI6sZJP2bgZG3gAQ

Read our 2-page handout “Why Canada Needs an Agenda for Disarmament” and find out more here: https://vowpeace.org/disarmament/

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous History Month Panel | A Conversation on Indigeneity and Student Success

Mon. June 21, 2 p.m. ET

In recognition of Indigenous History Month and National Indigenous Peoples Day, the Indigenous Alumni Network, in partnership with the Centre for Aboriginal Student Services (CASS) invites you to a virtual panel discussion and Q&A on Indigeneity, identity, and student success.

https://yorku.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_GDG4GgV3QDSPi87AXxUwFA

_______________________

_______________________

To Save the World

12:30 p.m. EST every Monday through Friday

Relevant conversations with brilliant thinkers hosted by Peace Professor Metta Spencer. Recordings remain on site. This week's speakers address Civil Resistance Tactics, New Nuclear reactors, Net-Zero, Green Economics, and more.

https://youtube.com/c/ToSaveTheWorld

_______________________

_______________________

>From the fracking well to the LNG plant: a sprawling network

Tues. June 22, 7 p.m. EST

>From coast-to-coast, a vast labyrinth of gas pipelines stretch across North America. Over the past decade communities all over the map have fought back liquefied natural gas (LNG) plants. We all know now is not the time, with global warming already wreaking havoc on the world, for a brand new fossil fuel industry. What connects these local battles against LNG? From Saguenay to Squamish, the gas in these plants comes from fracking. It comes with fragmented landscapes, poisoned waters and disappearing wildlife. Learn how you can help put the brakes on what would be among the worst polluters in Canada. It’s time for governments at all levels to cut the gas.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_S5Q7qoPwRViX_OaWtAkxvw

https://www.facebook.com/events/513097506504505/

_______________________

_______________________

Regime of Obstruction: Exposing and confronting the power of the fossil fuel industry

Free Virtual Conference, June 2021

Regime of Obstruction looks at fossil fuel industry power and how we can challenge it. Taking place over the month of June, this free event series is open to the public. It features talks, panels, workshops and documentary film screenings by academic and community-based researchers, Indigenous leaders, filmmakers and activists.

    - Tuesday, June 22, noon Pacific Time - Just transition

    - Thursday, June 24, 1 p.m. Pacific Time - Decolonizing research and climate policy. A panel discussion presented by Indigenous Climate Action, led by Eriel Deranger and members of ICA’s Decolonizing Climate Policy project.

    - Friday, June 25, 2 p.m. Pacific Time - Keynote with Naomi Klein and Avi Lewis in conversation with Anjali Appadurai

https://www.corporatemapping.ca/conference/

_______________________

_______________________

The Climate Atlas of Canada: Educational tools on infectious diseases and climate change

Tues. June 22, noon EST

In this webinar, researchers from the Prairie Climate Centre (PCC) will present on their approach and lessons learned for communication and public engagement to support adaptive behaviours in the face of climate-affected infectious diseases.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/5816226619022/WN_iBAkaxFTTnOlhr-cjerbOQ

_______________________

_______________________

Participatory Canada: How can everyday people make extraordinary change?

Tues. June 22, 11 a.m. EST

Join us as we explore creative solutions to our greatest urban challenges and share lessons learned in North End, Halifax, N.S., Ahuntsic-Cartierville, Montreal, QC and Regent Park, Toronto, ON.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_d6RXbIELRMCXy-p7upprnA

_______________________

_______________________

Impact United: United for Climate Action Convening

Tues. June 22, 1 - 3 p.m.

Calls for climate justice and climate action are getting louder, and now more than ever, investors are mobilizing capital for a sustainable future. As Impact United's inaugural Community of Practice event, this gathering of asset owners will explore what it means to invest for climate action.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/impact-united-united-for-climate-action-convening-tickets-157264250607

_______________________

_______________________

The Atom: A Love Affair

Canadian Film Premiere

Watch the Film -- Wed. June 23 to July 4

Nearly everyone has an opinion about nuclear power but far fewer know its history and the complex social and political forces that have shaped it. The Atom: A Love Affair tells the inside story of how we got here over seven eventful decades. Capturing both the tantalizing promise and the repeated disappointments, the film reveals how the post-war, romantic fantasy of an atom-powered future developed into the stormy, on-off relationship still playing out today. This is the turbulent story of the West's love-hate relationship with nuclear power over the past 70 years. 90 minutes. $10. Watch the trailer and the film:

https://watch.showandtell.film/watch/atom-film-canada

_______________________

_______________________

Engaging Women on Climate Workshop

Wed. June 23, noon - 3:45 pm EST

Across the political spectrum women consistently show up as more concerned, more motivated and more ready to act on climate than other audiences, yet we often neglect to design communications and campaigns with women in mind. This workshop dives into the theory and practice of engaging women on climate. We will talk with leading researchers in Canada and the US, and campaigners behind Science Moms, Vote Like a Madre and Talk Climate to Me will share insights, strategies and successful tactics.

https://bit.ly/engaging-women-climate

_______________________

_______________________

The right to a healthy environment: Why now is Canada’s time to act

Wed. June 23, 4 p.m. EST

This webinar will explore what the right to a healthy environment means, why enshrining this right in Canadian law is urgent and necessary, and how it can impact the day-to-day lives and health of people living in Canada.

https://ecojustice-ca.zoom.us/webinar/register/3816226651045/WN_HeY2wrZvTqa3tza7MyWMBA

_______________________

_______________________

Air quality, climate change, and making it easier for Canadians to breathe

Wed. June 23, noon EST

A distinguished panel of experts across a variety of fields and industries will discuss latest research and how we can move the dial to create real change for a Canada where we can all breathe with ease.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_f_Dcei0uTHivgVeFfNxrgw

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Justice: What Should Canadian Just Transition Look Like?

Wed. June 23, 7:30 p.m. EST

Panelists from a labour perspective discuss just transition.

https://www.labourcouncil.ca/justtransitionforum

_______________________

_______________________

Next Economy Conversations: Kalen Taylor of Purpose Construction

Thur. June 24, noon EST

Movements across the globe are calling for systems change to build a world that is sustainable, equitable, and prosperous for all. What tangible policies, models, and actions will create the world we want to see? Tonya Surman will sit down with Kalen Taylor, Executive Director of Purpose Construction, to discuss employment social enterprises, housing, and community-led approaches to creating systems change.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/next-economy-conversations-kalen-taylor-of-purpose-construction-tickets-157504276531

_______________________

_______________________

Digital Rally: Say No to Coal!

Fri. Jun 25, 3 p.m. EST

Join the Council of Canadians for a digital rally to celebrate the end of the Grassy Mountain coal project in the Rockies, hear from those on the ground about why we must continue the fight against coal, and come together to take action to protect the Rockies and rivers. We are coming together to build a Canada (and an Alberta) beyond coal to preserve our mountains and water for future generations.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_YWauoJadRXKSJ5GojJQQqg

_______________________

_______________________

The Atom: A Love Affair

Canadian Film Premiere and Panel

-- Panel Discussion with UK film producer/director and Canadians working for a nuclear-free future

Mon. June 28, 7 p.m. EST

Canada has supported the nuclear industry since the 1940’s. From coast to coast to coast we now have a stockpile of toxic radioactive tailings from uranium mines to nuclear sites all along the nuclear fuel chain. Seventy years later we’re still searching for a long-term solution to store the deadly waste which will need to be isolated from the environment for a million years. And now industry is begging for more taxpayer hand-outs to build out more nuclear reactors – SMRs (small modular nuclear reactors). Learn why this should concern you and what the alternatives are. Free. The webinar will be hosted and moderated by Angela Bischoff of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance and will feature:

- Film Producer/Director Vicki Lesley @tennerfilms

- Dr. Susan O’Donnell, University of New Brunswick addressing the push for SMRs in Canada (small modular nuclear reactors)

- Brennain Lloyd, Northwatch addressing the problem of nuclear waste in Canada

- Dr. Gordon Edwards, Canadian Coalition for Nuclear Responsibility addressing the connection between SMRs and weapons proliferation

Register: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-atom-a-love-affair-post-film-panel-discussion-tickets-157669665213

FB event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/537239154119040

-- Watch the Film -- June 23 to July 4

Nearly everyone has an opinion about nuclear power but far fewer know its history and the complex social and political forces that have shaped it. The Atom: A Love Affair tells the inside story of how we got here over seven eventful decades. Capturing both the tantalizing promise and the repeated disappointments, the film reveals how the post-war, romantic fantasy of an atom-powered future developed into the stormy, on-off relationship still playing out today. This is the turbulent story of the West's love-hate relationship with nuclear power over the past 70 years. 90 minutes. $10. Watch the trailer and the film:

https://watch.showandtell.film/watch/atom-film-canada

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/