Greenspiration News & Events: E-day!

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Sep 19 23:35:02 EDT 2021

Help your favourite candidate get out the vote on Monday, Sept. 20

First off, vote, then go to a campaign office to help pull the vote - no training necessary. If you don't know who to work for, check out LeadNow's list of climate champions across the country and help!

https://act.leadnow.ca/elxn44-eday-support/

 One Earth One Vote

... is a non-partisan initiative led by a coalition of Canadian organizations working to ensure that the environment, social justice and Indigenous rights are on the national agenda for this federal election. The coalition called on all federal parties to commit to the following seven demands: Honour Indigenous rights - Invest in a green and just recovery - Support workers in a sustainable economy - Reduce carbon emissions - Stop pollution - Protect the land and water - Invest in Indigenous stewardship

https://oneearthonevote.ca/

Federal Party Survey on Environmental Platforms

https://election2021envirosurvey.ca/responses/

LeadNow’s List of Climate Champions: https://leadnow.ca/aboutcouragechamps/

350.org’s list of Climate Champions (scroll down): https://climatealliance.ca

Where federal parties stand on nature-based climate solutions

https://thenarwhal.ca/federal-election-2021-climate-solutions

Liberals, NDP and Greens call for zero-carbon national electricity grid

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/liberals-ndp-and-greens-call-for-zero-carbon-national-electricity-grid/

Should new nuclear reactors be part of a climate action plan? Federal party positions

http://www.ccnr.org/GE-SO_Nuclear_vs_Climate_2021.pdf

The Canada-wide Peace and Justice Network anti-war platform

It calls for defunding Canada's ballooning military budget, ending Canada's role as a major arms dealer, support for disarmament and reversing Canada's antagonistic and US-led foreign policy.

https://peaceandjusticenetwork.ca/2021election/

Controversial Tory-linked PR firm working to oust Trudeau in Canada’s election

Canadian Conservatives recruited Topham Guerin, accused of dirty tricks in Boris Johnson’s 2019 campaign. As well as helping to steer Johnson’s Conservatives to election victory in 2019, the firm is also credited with playing a key role in the election victory of Scott Morrison’s Liberal Party in Australia.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/controversial-tory-linked-pr-firm-working-to-oust-trudeau-in-canadas-election/

Billy Bragg's musical endorsement of NDP's Avi Lewis - Waiting for the Leap Manifesto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMRSKlxY810

Find out where, when and how to vote on Monday September 20, 2021 on Election Canada’s website.

https://elections.ca/

Raging Grannies - If You Can't Be Bothered Voting Think Again - 2 min. video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb96Iucjwg8

A modest wealth tax would raise $363B over 10 years: new analysis

A slightly higher tax than the NDP’s would raise huge sums for public services and climate transition

https://breachmedia.ca/a-modest-wealth-tax-would-raise-363b-over-10-years-new-analysis/

Canada is aiming for net zero by 2050. How do we get there?

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/09/14/explainer/climate-change-solutions-canada

2,185 scientists and researchers call for a Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty

https://fossilfueltreaty.org/open-letter

Climate crisis and extreme wealth inequality: Joined at the hip

The climate crisis and unprecedented wealth inequality are not separate issues. The wealthiest 1% of individuals worldwide has emitted 100 times as much CO2 per year as the bottom 50%. The richest 10% of individual emitters contributed to 45% of global emissions. The poorest 50% of the world’s population accounted for 13% of world emissions.

https://monitormag.ca/articles/climate-crisis-and-extreme-wealth-inequality-joined-at-the-hip

Canada’s Climate Plan Deemed ‘Highly Insufficient'

Canada is one of 15 countries to have their performance rated “highly insufficient” in Climate Action Tracker (CAT)’s latest rating of governments’ emission reduction plans under the Paris climate agreement.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2021/09/16/one-step-forward-two-steps-back-as-canadas-climate-plan-deemed-highly-insufficient/

Meat accounts for nearly 60% of all greenhouse gases from food production

>From the Guardian: Production of meat worldwide emits 28 times as much as growing plants, and most crops are raised to feed animals bound for slaughter. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/sep/13/meat-greenhouses-gases-food-production-study

Trans Mountain pipeline construction delayed and over budget

A new report that compiled and analyzed hundreds of Trans Mountain documents projects that the Trans Mountain pipeline is delayed well into 2023, with millions added to the $12.6 billion construction cost as well as hundreds of millions of dollars of lost revenue.

https://wcel.org/media-release/legal-report-shows-trans-mountain-pipeline-construction-delayed-and-over-budget

The Breach - Canadian Journalism for Transformation

Investigative reports, video and opinions mapping pathways to a just, viable future.

https://breachmedia.ca/

https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBreach

Doug Ford: End the "Rain of Death" - Stop glyphosate from killing forests

https://act.greenpeace.org/page/86166/action/1

Stop the Deaths on Toronto’s Roads

Bike deaths are preventable. We know what works to stop the carnage: Ensure the design of safe roads with protected bike lanes - Fund implementation of protected bike lanes NOW - Regulate dangerous vehicles and ensure enforcement of those regulations. Contact the Mayor and Premier now to demand action using the Cycle Toronto templates.

https://www.cycleto.ca/news/tragedy-avenue-road-not-anomaly

_______________________

_______________________

Election Night Live with The Breach

Mon. Sept. 20, 8 p.m. EST

https://breachmedia.ca/electionsesh/

Livestreamed here: https://www.youtube.com/TheBreach

_______________________

_______________________

Imagine 2200: Climate Fiction for Future Ancestors

Monday September 20, 2 p.m. ET

Fix, Grist’s solutions lab, invites you to a conversation about decolonizing and diversifying climate storytelling in its inaugural climate-fiction contest, Imagine 2200. Join authors and judges to discuss how to build deeply intersectional worlds, systems, and solutions, and create visions for a planet grounded in justice and abundance.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/imagine-2200-climate-fiction-for-future-ancestors-tickets-167667482955

_______________________

_______________________

Hoodwinked in the Hothouse: Examining False Corporate Schemes being advanced through the Paris Agreement

Tues. Sept. 21, 5 - 7 p.m. ET

Join an international panel of climate justice organizers and frontline community leaders in a discussion about the multi-billion dollar climate investments being promoted by fossil fuel industries and other disaster capitalists.

https://event.newschool.edu/hoodwinked-in-the-hothouse

_______________________

_______________________

Reverse the Trend - Canada Info Session

Tues. Sept. 21, 8 p.m. ET

RTT (Reverse the Trend) Canada encourages youth to rise up and express their views on nuclear disarmament, climate activism, and environmental justice. We are also building a youth movement around the International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) Cities Appeal. Learn more about our goals, commitments, initiatives, and future plans.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAvdu6sqT8rGdW7emPeVpmeXyY8tCpCOl6A

_______________________

_______________________

Deep Emissions Retrofit Dialogue: Best Practices for Large Buildings

Tuesday Sept. 21, 3:30 p.m. ET

Building retrofits which target massive reductions in operational emissions are essential to address the climate crisis. Join ZEBx and BOMA BC for our first Deep Emissions Dialogue event featuring a variety of presentations on GHG-reducing initiatives, projects and strategies for commercial and residential buildings.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/sep-2021-deep-emissions-retrofit-dialogue-tickets-169405786267

_______________________

_______________________

Affordable housing: Yes, It's a Climate Issue!

Tues. Sept. 21, 7 p.m. ET

Come learn how housing affordability is directly related to climate change and how it is an issue we should all care about. In this webinar, Laurent Levesque and Julieta Perucca will discuss the intersections between housing, equity and climate change as well as the solutions available to us.

https://climatereality.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_sHGVxUfeSCqgw_lZuvg9dg

_______________________

_______________________

Biking in all Weather Conditions

Tues. Sept. 21, 5 p.m ET or

Friday Sept. 24, noon ET

https://www.cycleto.ca/events

_______________________

_______________________

The Green Sessions – Prepare for Action!

Tuesday - Wednesday, September 21 & 22

Art is Activism! Canada’s performing arts community is invited to a FREE online gathering of some of Canada's most knowledgeable and inspiring climate leaders, activists and educators. Artists have an essential part to play in the climate battle; storytellers and communicators can be instrumental in delivering a societal shift.

https://hopin.com/events/the-green-sessions

_______________________

_______________________

World Car Free Day

Wed. September 22

The best way to observe World Car Free Day is to simply not use your motorized vehicle! Walk or ride your bike, use a skateboard or electric scooter, take public transportation, organize a carpool with co-workers, spend time with your children while walking to school. Share your experience on social media using #CarFreeDay.

https://www.awarenessdays.com/awareness-days-calendar/world-car-free-day-2021/

_______________________

_______________________

Countering Islamophobia in Canada: After 20 Years of the "War on Terror"

Wed. Sept. 22, 4 p.m. ET

Azeezah Kanji is a legal academic, writer, and Director of Programming at Noor Cultural Centre in Toronto. Her work focuses on racism, law, and social justice.

https://www.facebook.com/events/533449371280877/

Zoom link to event ryerson.zoom.us/j/91941276567

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Palestine Film Festival

September 22 - 26

Featuring film, panels, an art show, talks with groundbreakers, special events, and performances, you can join us wherever you are in the world for an inspiring, engaging, and powerful five days of the best in Palestinian arts, cinema, and culture. #TPFF2021

https://www.tpff.ca/program-2021

_______________________

_______________________

What Can We Learn from COVID-19 and Where Do We Go Now? An Evening with David Suzuki

Thur. Sept. 23, 9:30 pm ET

The COVID-19 crisis has had two enormous and related consequences, Dr. Suzuki says. It brought much of human activity to a halt and it has given nature a respite. Both provide an opportunity to reset society's priorities and head in a different direction. $15.

https://www.accelevents.com/e/an-evening-with-david-suzuki

_______________________

_______________________

Talk to Your MLA About Unnatural Gas

Thur. Sept. 23, 7 p.m. PT

The natural gas industry continues to grow in BC. In response, we are calling for a moratorium on fracking expansion, support for a just transition for workers, investments in zero-emissions buildings, and an end to all fossil-fuel subsidies. We've organized a training webinar to explain the process of meeting with your local politicians, from scheduling and leading a meeting with your MLA, to background about the local and global health harms of the LNG industry in BC.

https://act.cape.ca/webinar_how_to_talk_to_your_mla_about_unnatural_gas

_______________________

_______________________

Circularity and the Race to Zero

Thur. Sept. 23, all day

Our third Exponential Climate Action Summit will focus on the challenges, opportunities, and creative solutions regarding circularity and resource efficiency. What role can circularity play across production chains in the Race to Zero? How quickly can it scale? We bring together transformers, disruptors, and enablers to explore how a circular economy can contribute to lowering emissions while also addressing human needs. Free.

https://www.wedonthavetime.org/events/circularity

_______________________

_______________________

Adaptation: Building resilience in the global climate emergency

Conference by Group of 78

Sept. 23-24, 25, 27, 28, 30, Oct. 5

Adaptation, primarily through enhanced resilience, is imperative if we and the environment on which we depend are to survive. The conference will examine policies that will not only help to shield us from the impacts of climate change but provide ancillary benefits that will make our lives, our communities, our economies and our environment more sustainable.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/adaptation-building-resilience-in-the-global-climate-emergency-tickets-166694097533

_______________________

_______________________

Global Strike for Climate Justice

Fri. Sept. 24

On Sept. 24, we will strike to demand for intersectional climate justice. Join us! We are united in our fight for climate justice, but we must also acknowledge that we do not experience the same problems; nor do we experience them to the same extent. Together we will fight for a just future where no one is left behind.  #uprootthesystem.

https://fridaysforfuture.org/September24

In Toronto, meet at Queens Park, 12:30 p.m. ET

https://www.fridaysforfutureto.org/september-24-global-day-of-action

https://www.facebook.com/events/1222529231502620/

_______________________

_______________________

Global Women's Assembly for Climate Justice

Solutions from the Frontlines and the Protection and Defense of Human Rights and Nature

Sept. 25 - 30, each day 1 pm — 5:30 pm ET

The climate crisis, the Covid-19 pandemic, and socio-ecological injustices have emerged from interconnected systems of capitalism, racism, the commodification of nature, colonialism, imperialism, and patriarchy. Within this struggle, women and feminists must stand at the forefront of policy-making and action. The Assembly will call for urgent action within a climate justice framework and produce an online collection of actions, policy frameworks, and solutions presented at the Assembly to be delivered to global governments, financial institutions and media outlets.

https://www.wecaninternational.org/womens-assembly

_______________________

_______________________

Secondhand Sunday

Sunday, September 26, 9 am to 5 pm ET

Secondhand Sunday is an event supported by the City of Toronto, that encourages residents of single-family homes to leave unwanted reusable items on their front property for neighbours to take for free.

http://www.secondhandsunday.ca/news.html

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/