Greenspiration News & Events: Planet in Focus

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Oct 11 22:36:12 EDT 2021

Canadians Have Highest Per Capita Footprint in the World as Global Study Links Lifestyles to 1.5° Target

Leading the pack on consumption are Canadians, at 14.2 tCO2e per capita, six times the footprint of Indonesians, at 2.2 tCO2e. Digging into Canada’s wildly unsustainable carbon footprint, the report notes that the country’s citizens are serious meat eaters, consuming more of this high-emissions food source than any other nation studied. Large living spaces and heavy use of non-renewable grid electricity (mostly natural gas) also contribute to Canada’s outsized carbon footprint, along with a reliance on large fossil-powered vehicles.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2021/10/05/canadians-have-highest-per-capita-footprint-as-study-links-lifestyle-changes-to-1-5-target/

Stop Excluding Military Pollution from Climate Agreements

https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/stop-excluding-military-pollution-from-climate-agreements-2

$11 Million Per Minute in Fossil Subsidies ‘Add Fuel to the Fire’, IMF Study Shows

The coal, oil, and gas industries received US$5.9 trillion in worldwide subsidies in 2020 the International Monetary Fund (IMF) revealed in an analysis released this week.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2021/10/07/11-million-per-minute-in-fossil-subsidies-add-fuel-to-the-fire-imf-study-shows/eek.

Call on Justin Trudeau to introduce just transition legislation now!

Demand that he lives up to the promise he made in 2019 to help people and communities transition from the fossil fuel industry.

https://canadians.org/action/justtransitionletter

Alberta’s ‘Friendly’ Oil is Most Carbon-Intensive in International Index

https://www.theenergymix.com/2021/10/05/albertas-friendly-oil-is-most-carbon-intensive-in-new-international-index/

Ontario’s last-century energy policies

Gas and nuclear are obsolete, but Ontario is still investing heavily in them. "Like sheep, we are simply following politicians who have been bought by oil companies into a firestorm,"

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/10/08/opinion/climate-change-and-ontarios-last-century-energy-policies

Minister Freeland: Close tax loopholes

A bombshell new report — the “Pandora Papers” — revealed that at least 500 wealthy Canadians have been hiding money and dodging taxes in offshore tax-havens.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/any-way-you-slice-it-canada-is-one-of-the-worst-emitters-on-the-planet/ar-AAPf4cz

The time to prohibit nuclear weapons is now

At least 56 nations have now signed the new UN Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons (TPNW), which came into force in January 2021. Even though the Trudeau government claims it is committed to disarmament, it refuses to sign the treaty, citing its NATO membership (NATO opposes the treaty).

https://rabble.ca/politics/world-politics/the-time-to-prohibit-nuclear-weapons-is-now/

Nuclear Addiction: Dr. Rosalie Bertell on the Cost of Deterrence (19 min, 1986):

The link will be active until the end of day on Sunday Oct 17. An NFB recording.

https://vimeo.com/624820887/f9aef2a663

The Problem with Pills - Killer Antidepressants

13 min. W5 expose

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2297852

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Struggle for Childcare

Tues. Oct. 12, 7 pm ET

A new federally sponsored child-care program is unfolding across Canada. This initiative didn't fall from the sky – it's the result of decades of agitation by child-care activists in Toronto and the rest of the country. We are bringing together a panel to discuss the campaigns for decent, publicly supported childcare and to assess how this new program measures up.

http://twhp.ca/2021/10/05/the-struggle-for-child-care/

_______________________

_______________________

Think2030

Tues. - Thur. Oct. 12 - 14

Think 2030 is a virtual symposium that brings together industry leaders, policymakers, and startup disruptors to advance critical initiatives in Canada that help foster a new equitable, sustainable and healthy era. Think 2030 will consist of three wide-ranging streams designed to catalyze meaningful advancement of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs): Equality, Sustainability, and Well-Being. ON Clean Air Alliance has been offered free tickets. To access your ticket, click Register and use the promo code THINK2030100.

https://www.think2030.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Noam Chomsky on the Consequences of Capitalism

Wed, Oct. 13, 5 - 6 p.m. ET

Noam Chomsky discusses the brutal realities laid bare by the COVID-19 pandemic and the urgent need for an alternative to capitalism. Covid-19 has revealed glaring failures and monstrous brutalities in the current capitalist system. It represents both a crisis and an opportunity. Everything depends on the actions that people take into their own hands.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/noam-chomsky-on-the-consequences-of-capitalism-tickets-176414690087

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Emergency and a Just Transition

Wed. Oct. 13, 7 pm ET

The Good Jobs for All Coalition is co-hosting a two-part forum on climate change and just transition.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAscOmurTopH9GfLmgSff56A3OrYd2xtzxc

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous-Led Conservation in Ontario & Beyond

Wed. Oct. 13, 12:30 p.m. ET

The panel will explore the various intersections that exist between environmental and cultural preservation, and Indigenous jurisdiction. Join a leading group of lawyers and scholars to learn more about the key concepts and principles behind Indigenous-led conservation, existing and emerging models, and key challenges to implementing these solutions.

https://ejsclinic.info.yorku.ca/2021/10/indigenous-led-conservation-in-ontario-beyond/

_______________________

_______________________

Election is over. Now what?

Wed. Oct.13, 6 p.m. ET

A conversation with John Clarke, Suzanne Narain and Sam Tecle on:

• Limits of “parliamentary democracy” and elections

• Options and alternatives for the working class and racialized communities

Zoom link: https://janefinchcentre.zoom.us/j/81222778666

https://www.facebook.com/events/1834197276765334/

_______________________

_______________________

Luminato

Wed. – Sun, Oct. 13 - 17

>From immersive theatre to podcasts, public art installations to dance film, Luminato 2021 brings Toronto’s arts and culture to you live and online.

https://luminatofestival.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Human Insecurity In A Water-Scarce World

Thur. Oct. 14, 11 am - noon ET

As anthropogenic climate change transforms longstanding precipitation and agricultural patterns, humans, animals, plants, and entire economies are being forced to migrate in search of one increasingly scarce resource: water. As access to water re-shapes political geographies of migration, production, and conflict, this panel discusses the crucial role that states play in maintaining human and environmental peace, health, and security, in an increasingly water-scarce world.

https://www.balsillieschool.ca/event/global-insights-human-insecurity-in-a-water-scarce-world/

_______________________

_______________________

Planet in Focus International Environmental Film Festival

Thur. Oct. 14 – 24

Now in its 22nd year. Film is a catalyst for public awareness, discussion and engagement on a broad range of environmental issues. Our goal is to enlighten, engage and entertain audiences of all backgrounds – through film.

https://planetinfocus.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Launch of The Climate Transparency Report 2021: Comparing G20 Climate Action towards Net Zero

Thur. Oct. 14, 8 a.m. ET

The Climate Transparency Report – the world’s most comprehensive annual review of G20 countries’ climate action towards net zero – has as one of its objectives to provide a stocktake of climate actions of countries in a comparable form. Developed by experts from 16 partner organisations from the majority of the G20 countries, the report informs policy makers and stimulates national debates.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-PUJlCiOQwGNNUiwObV9rg

https://www.climate-transparency.org/g20-climate-performance

_______________________

_______________________

Canada's Foreign Policy in Ruins - China, Israel, Haiti, Venezuela

Thursday, October 14, 7 pm

Featuring Yves Engler of the Canadian Foreign Policy Institute.

https://youtu.be/qzsJ8MoY-ns

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Caucus Summit 2021

Friday Oct. 15, 9 am - 2 pm

On behalf of the 400 elected local leaders in the Cdn. Climate Caucus, I am delighted to invite you to the third annual Climate Caucus Summit, a unique opportunity to network with local government elected officials, NGO representatives and climate advocates from across Canada, learn from Indigenous leaders, and collaborate on climate action at the local government level. https://www.tickettailor.com/events/climatecaucus/578123

_______________________

_______________________

Preview the UN Climate Change Conference

Fri. Oct 15, noon ET

Join us on Oct. 15 with Sivan Kartha, senior scientist at the Stockholm Environmental Institute and Anju Sharma, SEI researcher at Oxford University, in conversation with Bob Berwyn of Inside Climate News as they discuss conference goals and why the time to act is now. Organized by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_swtzM5tTRVeB39aacVn8NA

_______________________

_______________________

The Boys Who Said NO! Gala Online Film Launch

Fri. - Sun. Oct. 15 - 17

Directed by Oscar-nominated filmmaker Judith Ehrlich, the film tells for the first time the powerful story of the massive youth-led, nonviolent resistance to the Vietnam war that ended the draft and helped end a tragic war. The San Francisco Chronicle called the film “An ode to the power of activism”.  On Sunday at 5 pm PDT an hour-long livestream event will feature a discussion with Joan Baez, Daniel Ellsberg, David Harris, Mandy Carter and film director Judith Ehrlich. The event will include an update from Mac Hamilton of Womens Action for New Directions (WAND) on pending federal legislation that would require young women to register for the draft. Tickets are $12 to view both the film and the livestream event.

https://actionnetwork.org/events/the-boys-who-said-no-gala

_______________________

_______________________

The War on Terror Film Festival

Every Weekend in October

The stories beyond the front lines. 20 Years | 20 Films. Each film screening will be accompanied by a live discussion with filmmakers, survivors, actors, scholars, journalists, and resistors, who will reflect on the challenges of living through the policies of the “war on terror” and telling these stories.

https://wotfilmfestival.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Reality Leadership Training

Sat. October 16 - 24

Join the Climate Reality Leadership Corps of activists a by attending a free online training led by Al Gore and a team of world-renowned scientists, activists and innovators. Four required two-hour broadcast sessions will air on October 16, 17, 23, 24. Each two hour session includes presentations and small group meet-ups.

https://www.climaterealityproject.org/training-email

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/