Greenspiration News & Events: Open your hearts

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Nov 15 00:26:45 EST 2021

Youth Climate Activist from Kenya - 6 min. video speech by Elizabath Wathiti at COP26

Please open your hearts. Over two million of my fellow Kenyans are facing climate-related starvation and climate disaster. Both of our rainy seasons in the past year failed. Our rivers are running dry, our harvests are failing, our storehouses stand empty, our animals and people are dying. Also heatwaves and flooding in Algeria, Uganda, and Nigeria. By 2025, half of the world's population will be facing water scarcity. Sub-Saharan Africans are responsible for half a percent of historical emissions, the children are responsible for none, yet they are bearing the brunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUR3HMRhHT4

Beyond Oil and Gas Alliance

Watch a recording of the launch on Nov. 11 in Glasgow

https://unfccc-cop26.streamworld.de/webcast/denmark-and-costa-rica

Quebec, Wales, California Join Beyond Oil and Gas Alliance while Canada, U.K., U.S. Stay Out

https://www.theenergymix.com/2021/11/12/quebec-wales-california-join-beyond-oil-and-gas-alliance-while-canada-u-k-u-s-stay-out/

Canada Falls to 61st Spot in Latest Climate Change Performance Index

Canada gets a “very low” rating for GHG performance and targets, renewable energy deployment, and per capita energy use, and a low rating for climate policies operating at the national and international levels. That is, we're a climate laggard.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2021/11/09/canada-falls-to-61st-spot-in-latest-climate-change-performance-index/

Canada’s Climate Record: Broken Promises, Bright Future?

Fantastic 1 hour recording of numerous speakers from COP and Canada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yklyNl4oYMk

Liberals leaving nuclear's future 'to the market'

Env. Min. Guilbeault said nuclear will have to compete alongside technologies like wind and solar, which are becoming the least expensive types of power available.

https://theprovince.com/news/politics/liberals-leaving-nuclears-future-to-the-market-while-other-countries-bet-big

It’s a fairytale that world governments will fix our climate crisis. It’s up to us - by Bill McKibben

Thank climate activists for the fact that any progress was made in Glasgow. Unless we push hard, powerful interests don’t budge

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/12/its-a-fairytale-that-world-governments-will-fix-our-climate-crisis-its-up-to-us

Gas is the new coal

Gas was the largest source of fossil CO2 emissions increase (42%) in the decade 2010 to 2019, is responsible for about 60% of methane emissions from fossil fuel production, and about 70% if the projected increase in fossil CO2 emissions under current policies to 2030.

https://climateanalytics.org/publications/2021/why-gas-is-the-new-coal/

What lies beneath: Exploring Canada’s invisible carbon storehouse

New research reveals what scientists have learned about the scale and distribution of a massive carbon reservoir lying just below the surface in wilderness areas across the country — and what’s at stake for the planet if it’s disturbed.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-what-lies-beneath-exploring-canadas-invisible-carbon-storehouse

First, Doug Ford ‘stopped the carbon tax’: how Progressive Conservatives reshaped Ontario’s environmental policy

https://thenarwhal.ca/doug-ford-ontario-environment-explainer/

Tell Ontario: Withdraw all mining and logging from Grassy Narrows Territory now!

https://freegrassy.net/actionalert-permits/

Parks not Planes

Join the effort to turn the Toronto Island Airport lands into a magnificent park.

https://www.parksnotplanes.com/

Save the TTC

Step in with emergency funding to hire more operators and stop the cuts to Toronto public transit.

https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/save-the-ttc

_______________________

_______________________

The Consequences of Capitalism with Noam Chomsky

Mon. Nov. 15, 5 p.m. ET

Join Noam Chomsky and Marv Waterstone as they discuss their latest book, Consequences of Capitalism, which exposes the deep, often unseen connections between neoliberal 'common sense' and structural power. In making these linkages, they will show how the current hegemony keeps social justice movements divided and marginalized. And, most importantly, we see how we can fight to overcome these divisions. Is there an alternative to capitalism?

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-consequences-of-capitalism-with-noam-chomsky-tickets-203301900457

_______________________

_______________________

Stop Encampment Evictions: Fund Housing!

Mon. Nov. 15, noon ET

Meet at Nathan Philips Square (Queen and Bay); March to Queen’s Park, Toronto

On Monday night, the temperature will drop below 0 degrees. People are dying. The Provincial government offloaded services to the Municipalities. Tell them we know whose fault it is.

_______________________

_______________________

Restoring the Joy of Parks in our Communities

Tues. Nov. 16, 11 a.m. ET

Cities have become the main driving force of changing the world. They have the ability and the capacity to lead the way towards a healthier and more sustainable future. And one way to do so is by transforming public realms into more inclusive spaces where people’s quality of life is the central guiding principle.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PQ99MV6LSZm56JWmFJTh1A

_______________________

_______________________

Green Stuff in the Water: No Day at the Beach

Wed. Nov. 17, noon ET

Let’s Talk Lake Ontario will focus on the issue of Cladophora in the lake, why it’s a problem and what’s being done about it. Participants will also hear about how citizen science can contribute to data collection on Cladophora and actions the public can take at home and in the community.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/webinar-green-stuff-in-the-water-no-day-at-the-beach-registration-188394481967

_______________________

_______________________

How Collective Impact can support climate transitions in communities: Lessons from Communities Ending Poverty

Wed. Nov. 17, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Tamarack’s Communities Ending Poverty (CEP) network supports 89 members representing 330 communities across Canada in their efforts to end poverty. Through a collective impact approach, these communities have developed multi-sector leadership roundtables, engaged people with lived/living experiences of poverty and other diverse community members, and developed and implemented common visions and plans. Their efforts have contributed to significant reductions in poverty rates nationwide. This webinar explores what potential the CEP model has for the climate transition space, and how communities can use collective impact to accelerate just local transitions.

https://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/how-collective-impact-can-support-climate-transitions-in-communities

_______________________

_______________________

Energy Dead-Ends: Green Lies, Climate Change and Chaotic Transitions

Wed. Nov. 17, 2 pm PT

Journalist and author Andrew Nikiforuk has written about the use and abuse of natural resources and wild landscapes in Canada for more than 30 years. Whether speaking or writing about disappearing wildlife, peak oil, pandemics or the destruction of the boreal forest, Nikiforuk has earned a reputation as an honest and provocative voice in Canadian journalism.

https://uvic.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_EvnbPEgHR4qYpids0_G3Dw

_______________________

_______________________

Indigenous Perspectives on Climate Action: Busting B.C.'s Fossil Fuel Corridor

Wed. Nov. 17, 4 pm PT

Learn more about how to support Indigenous resistance in the face of B.C.'s Coastal GasLink, TMX and Site C-Dam with Rueben George, Smogelgem and Chief Roland Willson.

www.tinyurl.com/webinarwecan26

_______________________

_______________________

Are you troubled by the climate crisis? Learn how to run a Community Climate Circle

Wed. Nov. 17, 7 pm PT

In this session you will learn how to run a Community Climate Circle with your friends, neighbours or workmates, to help them reduce their personal climate pollution, and to take other forms of climate action. With Guy Dauncey.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/community-climate-circles-learning-tickets-192771734447

_______________________

_______________________

Virtual Emergency Summit on Health Care Privatization

Wed. Nov. 17, 7 pm ET

Urgent Call for Ontarians who want to safeguard & improve our public health care for people, not for profit. The Ford government is planning:

- To give tens of thousands of long-term care beds to for-profit corp’s for the next 30-yrs

- For-profit privatization of public hospital services including surgeries & diagnostics

- To privatize the last remaining public parts of home care… and more, unless we stop them.

https://tinyurl.com/r92acsdf

_______________________

_______________________

Racial Justice Summit 2021

Wed. Nov. 17 - Nov. 18

We will be exploring a variety of themes that examine racial justice in the context of policing, health, education, media, government, and employment. Each one-hour panel will be followed by an interactive group dialogue to collectively map solutions to take back to our communities.

https://racialjusticesummit2021.eventbrite.com

_______________________

_______________________

Virtual Discussion with Dr. Katharine Hayhoe

Thur. Nov. 18, 8 p.m. ET

Join us for a virtual discussion with the climate activist and author Dr. Katharine Hayhoe as she discusses her new novel "Saving Us". Saving Us draws on interdisciplinary research and personal stories, to give us the tools to open a dialogue with your loved ones about how we all can play a role in pushing forward for change. United Nations Champion of the Earth, and climate scientist Dr. Katharine Hayhoe changes the debate on how we can save our future.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/hccreads-lets-listen-virtual-discussion-with-dr-katharine-hayhoe-registration-199286169297

_______________________

_______________________

Road to Home: Housing and Homelessness in the GTA

Thur. Nov. 18, 4:30 p.m. ET

The housing crisis has been with us since long before the pandemic, but recent events have shone a light on this unignorable issue: Rents are high and the wait for subsidized housing is long. Violent encampment evictions have shaken communities. Too many people are struggling to find a safe, affordable place to live. Join us for a discussion of why this is happening and what we can do about it.

https://www.unitedwaygt.org/2021-housing-and-homelessness-event

_______________________

_______________________

Extreme Inequality and Climate Breakdown: How bad is it and what the f**k can we do about it?

Fri. Nov. 19, 6:30 p.m. ET

Town hall on the twin crises of economic inequalities and climate breakdown in a time where food prices are skyrocketting while billionaires spend millions to drink champagne in space. Speakers include Seth Klein, Linda McQuaig, Bianca Mugyenyi and more.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/207332706707

https://fb.me/e/1XwOVyBFc

_______________________

_______________________

Women Mobilizing for Climate, Justice, Gender, Equality and Peace

Sun. Nov. 21, 1 p.m. ET

Women's report back from COP, organized by WILPF – Women's International League for Peace and Freedom

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_OTBPpdL5Tf2srMPm6zU_cw

_______________________

_______________________

Planning to Win: Yours to Protect Strategy Summit

Sun. Nov. 21, 9 a.m. - noon ET

Half-day online planning session for local groups, activists and volunteers who want to work together to protect Ontario's environment.

https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/92625/petition/1

_______________________

_______________________

World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims

Sun. Nov. 21, 4:45 p.m. ET

Ramsden Park, opposite Rosedale Subway Station, Toronto

Join us for the annual World Day of Remembrance event to remember all of the loved ones who have been killed and severely injured in crashes, both on #TODeadlyStreets and around the world. We will hold a candle-lit memorial walk down Avenue Road to highlight the desperate need for safety improvements that advocates have been begging for for years.

https://www.facebook.com/events/390817452717986

_______________________

_______________________

Day of Action Against Fighter Jets

Monday, Nov. 22 - Fri. Nov. 26

With nearly 50 actions completed we want to show our newly elected and re-elected Members of Parliament that we want them to scrap the procurement deal of 88 fighter jets for $77 billion and invest in health care and climate action instead. Join us and stand outside your Member of Parliament’s office with a sign “No New Fighter Jets”, deliver a letter (we will provide the text) and take a photo to share on social media.

https://forms.gle/KJzx1Ske1hqizY5Q6

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

Get all the latest on the COP conference in Glasgow.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/