No Nukes News: No time to wait

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Dec 14 11:52:05 EST 2021

View this email in your browser

Share
Tweet

As a small organization, the Ontario Clean Air Alliance relies on supporters such as you to ensure that we can continue to move the dial on getting Ontario off the gas/nuclear treadmill and onto a renewable future. Thank you for your support! Please make an end-of-year charitable donation here.

The World

☢ We don’t have time to wait for the emissions-reduction nuclear power could bring By Angela Bischoff. With the cost of renewables continuing to drop, we can get far more climate bang for our buck by investing in energy efficiency, wind and solar energy, two-way chargers for our EVs, and by expanding our east–west electricity grid – rather than sticking with high-cost nuclear and polluting gas plants.

☢ US experts request a proliferation assessment of a Canadian-government-funded proposal to separate plutonium from CANDU spent fuel

☢ New Brunswick is at the centre of a debate on nuclear weapons proliferation There are about a dozen proposed modular nuclear reactor projects in Canada. But Moltex's project in New Brunswick will extract plutonium from nuclear waste, a radioactive metal that is also used to make nuclear weapons.

☢ Canada’s first nuclear reactor waste disposal facility could squander $billions while contaminating Ottawa River

☢ Hidden agenda behind the push for nuclear power Nuclear power is too slow, too expensive, too dangerous, hasn’t solved its lethal waste problem and presents a potentially disastrous security and proliferation risk. This leaves only one possible rationale for the political obsession with keeping the nuclear power industry alive: its indispensability to the nuclear weapons sector.

☢ COP26’s nuclear sidebar The fact that COP26 was crawling with huge numbers of delegates from Big Oil and Gas got a lot of attn. from the media. Less attn. was paid to the large number of pro-nuclear delegates parasitically inserting themselves into as many events as they could access.

☢ Austria ready to sue EU over nuclear’s inclusion in green finance taxonomy Austria is at the centre of a five-country alliance bringing together Denmark, Germany, Luxembourg and Portugal, which seeks to prevent the inclusion of nuclear energy in the EU’s green finance rules.

☢ Nuclear Power Won’t Save the World. It Won’t Even Help.

☢ Nuclear industry pitching SMRs for the north What will it mean to entomb waste on traditional territories? Article plus 24 min. documentary produced by APTN (Aboriginal Peoples Television Network).

☢ Uranium and nuclear energy in New Brunswick and beyond This page includes links related to the zoom panel held on Dec. 10, 2021 with speakers Gordon Edwards, Lorraine Rekmans, and Tracy Glynn. View the slides, watch the video recording, and more.

Ontario

☢ OPG unveils smoke and mirrors instead of a viable climate solution Ontario Power Generation (OPG) publicly announced that it has selected US-based GE Hitachi to build a new $3 billion reactor at the Darlington Nuclear Station in Canada’s largest urban area. We can create far more jobs, more economic benefit and faster action on climate by investing in energy efficiency and renewable energy than by chasing nuclear phantoms.

☢ Ontario nuclear announcement begs question of what constitutes “clean” or “non-emitting” electricity

Renewables and Conservation

☼ Three Myths About Renewable Energy and the Grid Debunked By Amory B. Lovins and M.V. Ramana. The expansion of renewables and new methods of energy management and storage can lead to a grid that is reliable and clean.

☼ Grid stability and 100% renewables New research from Mark Jacobson models 100% wind water and solar powered grids, finds no risk of blackouts, and broad benefits in cost reduction, job creation and land use.

☼ Advocates Stress Energy Retrofits, Protected Areas, Renewable Grid for Cdn Parliament

☼ Rooftop solar could mean big savings for Ontario, bringing hefty savings on the annual gas generation bill even before carbon levies are factored in.

☼ The terrible paradox of the green energy transition The metals and minerals needed to conduct this transition will result in a drastic increase in environmentally dirty mining. The global energy transition is perhaps more red than green after all.

Take Action

☢ Say no to new nuclear in the GTA Tell Ontario's political leaders that you want investments in wind and solar energy, not a new GTA nuclear reactor.

☢ Tell Ottawa: no more funding for new nuclear reactors Tell federal Ministers to stop wasting our $ on polluting nuclear reactors.

☢ Tell the CNSC to put safety before OPG's profits The CNSC must put a moratorium on the continued operation of the Pickering nuclear station until OPG has submitted proper safety data.

☢ Decommission the Pickering Nuclear Station immediately after shutdown in 2024 This would provide a jobs transition for the workers and would reclaim the Pickering waterfront.

☢ Stop the Disposal of Nuclear Waste in Northwestern Ontario High-level nuclear waste should be managed using a "rolling stewardship" concept, rather than abandoning it in a deep geological repository. Learn more.

☢ Say no to nuclear waste in Labrador The citizens of Newfoundland and Labrador do not want to be the nuke waste dump for the world.

☢ International Petition Against the Discharge of Contaminated Water from Fukushima into the Sea And here's another.

Forward this email
make a donation
view this email in your browser

Copyright © 2021 Ontario Clean Air Alliance, All rights reserved.
You are subscribed to the No Nuke News list published by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

Our mailing address is:Ontario Clean Air Alliance160 John St, #300
Toronto, On M5V 2E5 Canada

Add us to your address book