Greenspiration News & Events: Voices from the movement

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Jan 16 23:04:27 EST 2022

Europe’s greenest city has free public transport, highways for bees, more green space, and more bike infrastructure

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/01/06/europe-s-greenest-city-has-free-public-transport-and-highways-for-bees

Dutch Climate Litigator Predicts ‘Avalanche’ of Lawsuits

One of the world’s most successful climate litigators is predicting an “avalanche” of climate cases as activists increasingly assert that not only governments, but private actors like fossil companies and banks, are legally bound to help prevent runaway climate change by cutting their emissions.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/01/13/banks-finance-the-next-targets-as-dutch-climate-litigator-predicts-avalanche-of-lawsuits/

‘We need to learn to do things faster’: Canada’s new environment minister talks climate

>From overseeing 2030 targets to phasing out fossil fuel subsidies, Steven Guilbeault has been tasked with one of the largest to-do lists of the entire federal cabinet. The environment minister says he'll act quickly, even if it means not getting exactly what he wants.

https://thenarwhal.ca/federal-environment-minister-steven-guilbeault/

Have Your Say on the Federal Government’s Climate Goals: the deadline has been extended to Fri. Jan. 21st

Here is the government’s page: https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/news/2022/01/deadline-for-public-submissions-to-2030-emissions-reduction-plan-extended.html

Here is their input portal: https://eccc.sondage-survey.ca/f/s.aspx?s=4132165a-69ff-455b-9208-24be193aa656&lang=EN

Here is Climate Messengers Canada's Toolkit to help you craft a personal response: https://climatemessengers.ca/?page_id=421

And here is LeadNow's sign-on letter: https://act.leadnow.ca/climate-consult /

Small modular reactors offer no hope for nuclear energy

Many believe that small modular reactors will help solve the energy crisis, but this belief is grossly optimistic and diverts money and resources away from the options that can address climate change at low cost and in a timely manner.

https://www.advancedsciencenews.com/small-modular-reactors-offer-no-hope-for-nuclear-energy/

How to make progress towards proportional representation in this Parliament

Webinar recording with NDP MP and Democratic Reform Critic Daniel Blaikie, Liberal MP Wayne Long and Green MP Mike Morrice. Hosted by Fair Vote Canada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0yGsaqmboo&list=PLE0dYpVCw9bZ1SvGJ6sT2U3zFID7Yip3b

Ontario Stands Out as ‘Climate Hooligan’ Amid Patchwork of Provincial Policies

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/01/13/opinion-ontario-stands-out-as-climate-hooligan-amid-patchwork-of-provincial-policies/#comment-12827

No trains in the Don Valley Park

https://www.notrainsinparks.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Voices from the Movement w/ Duff Conacher of Democracy Watch

Mon. Jan. 17, 7 p.m. ET

Voices from the Movement is a free online series featuring activists, advocates and community leaders who are collectively trying to reboot our democracy's operating system, to be more inclusive, responsive and meaningful. Hosted by Unlock Democracy.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIsdeyhrTIpH9Y7Z9L8y_ivkgg8I0-3LCbH

Full 2021 Schedule: https://www.unlockdemocracy.ca/voices_from_the_movement

_______________________

_______________________

Empowering First Nations and Indigenous Communities: Overcoming the Ecological and Humanitarian Threats of the Nuclear Fuel Trajectory and Nuclear Weapons

Tues. Jan. 18, 1 p.m. ET

The nuclear events that have impacted Canadian First Nations, the Navajo First Nation, and Marshall Islanders illustrate how uranium mining and nuclear testing directly impact Indigenous and First Nations peoples.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYlcuurqTorEtVlRl1Aien2BivQAmrEgIvZ

_______________________

_______________________

Economic Sanctions: Legal and Policy Implications

Tues. January 18, 10 - 11:30 a.m. ET

Timely discussion of the increasing use of non-UN authorized sanctions by western states including Canada and regional organizations i.e. EU

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/economic-sanctions-legal-and-policy-implications-tickets-232675407407

_______________________

_______________________

Solidarity with Wet'Suwet'en Highway Disruption

Tuesday, January 18, 8 am

Meet at Toronto Music Garden. We will march from there to disrupt the Gardiner.

Horgan and Trudeau are gearing up to send Military RCMP to raid Wet'suwet'en Land Defenders for a FOURTH time on their own sovereign land.

https://www.facebook.com/events/298545642226147

_______________________

_______________________

Building Hope Amidst the Climate Crisis

Tuesday, January 18, 7 pm ET

This webinar hopes to deconstruct the climate change discussion and look at the impact it is having, both on Earth and humans. The climate change crisis can raise many different emotions within us, and so, the discussion will explore some of the emotional impacts, as well as how to move forward with a sense of hope amidst the difficult realities, and how to look at Earth itself as a source of hope. Join this interactive session for an evening of sharing and inspiration.

https://www.facebook.com/events/235405782006142/

_______________________

_______________________

Don't Look up (watch party)

Tues. Jan. 18, 8 pm ET

Watch with Youth Climate Save Toronto and Climate Save Canada. We will meet on a zoom call and then we will share the link to the Netflix party screening.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1519961838364123/

_______________________

_______________________

Let's Put Climate in the Budget: Toronto 2022

Wed. Jan. 19, 7 pm. ET

What will the Toronto 2022 budget look like? Will there be the necessary funds for TransformTO to implement the Net Zero by 2040 plan? The city budget is under extreme pressure - let's make sure the climate emergency measures are funded. With T.O. City Councillor Mike Layton and Lyn Adamson, ClimateFast.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/lets-put-climate-in-the-budget-toronto-2022-tickets-241545247337

_______________________

_______________________

Training: Speak up for Toronto Transit

Wed. Jan. 19, 6 pm ET

Speak up to reverse TTC cuts! Your City Councillor is voting soon on the 2022 Toronto budget. They must act now to reverse TTC service cuts and lower fares.  Sign up to learn how to speak at public budget meetings and share your transit experience with politicians.

https://www.ttcriders.ca/jan_ttc_meeting_prep

_______________________

_______________________

Energy Democracy and Empowerment

Wed. Jan. 19, 1:15 p.m. ET

We need to reorganize the energy system to empower communities: What does that look like? How do we create benefits and support for communities, open space for them to imagine and contribute to debates about energy futures, and find ways to diversify ownership of energy? How can we scale it nationally?

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/8180288864113463310

_______________________

_______________________

Switch It Up BC!

Wed. Jan. 19, Noon PT

Join Jonathan Ho and James Glave as they introduce our new Switch It Up BC! campaign, working to raise awareness of the climate and health risks of residential gas, and the availability of healthy non-polluting 100% electric heating and cooking technologies. Many British Columbians are unaware of the climate impacts of their own homes. We want to help close that gap so people can make informed decisions about how they heat and cool their houses and cook their meals.

https://meeting.zoho.com/meeting/register?sessionId=1074178072

_______________________

_______________________

Join the Mass Organizing Call

Thur. Jan. 20, 4pm PT / 5pm MT / 6pm CT / 7pm ET / 8pm AT / 8:30pm NT

Join 350 Canada and the Council of Canadians to learn about our plans to push Parliament to deliver a Just Transition Act in 2022. We’ll lay out how together we can win the kind of climate solutions that truly meet the scale and urgency of the crises we face.

https://act.350.org/signup/jta-organizing-call/

_______________________

_______________________

Blood & Water; Film Screening & Panel

Thur. Jan. 20, 7 p.m. ET

Join Water Allies for a film screening of Blood & Water, a story of reclamation. The film is a self-narrated documentary exposing new light on the modern-day impact and generational trauma caused by residential schools. Layla Black is Mohawk, Turtle Clan from Six Nations on the Grand River. After the film, Layla Black & panelists will share their stories from Land Back and how through connecting with water they have been able to reclaim their culture.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/blood-water-film-screening-panel-event-registration-245941998137

_______________________

_______________________

T.O. City Budget 2022 Community Dialogue

Thur. Jan. 20, 2 - 4 pm ET

Social Planning Toronto is hosting an open platform for community leaders and residents to share your budget demands and learn more about what’s in the 2022 budget and how to influence it!

https://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/citybudget2022_dialogue

_______________________

_______________________

Future Leaders in Politics: FLIP 2.0. Breaking Barriers for Environmental Progress

Sat. Jan. 22, 9 am - 4:30 pm ET

FLIP 2.0 will offer emerging and aspiring leaders from all backgrounds the opportunity to learn from former and current decision-makers, Parliamentary Interns and expert guests through a variety of fireside chats, workshops, and panel discussions. Speakers include Interim Leader of the Green Party of Canada Dr. Amita Kuttner, former CPC Deputy Leader Lisa Raitt, Nunavut MP Lori Idlout, former Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson, Shadow Minister for the Environment and Climate Change Dan Albas, Kitchener Centre MP Mike Morrice, Lead Now's Sonia Thoroux, Burnaby Councilor Alison Gu, Dr. Hayden King of Yellowknife and many more. $12.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/flip-20-future-leaders-in-politics-tickets-191281296507

_______________________

_______________________

Students Against Nuclear Weapons

Sat. Jan. 22, 1 p.m. ET

This virtual forum focuses on the humanitarian implications of the renewed nuclear-arms race and the potential of the United Nations’ Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons to build a world free of the menace of nuclear war. Elizabeth May and Ray Acheson are the keynote speakers.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAsc-CgpjoiE9eVoJ--ILU194RJFYtlPotU

_______________________

_______________________

Trudeau's Failed Coup

Sun. Jan. 23, 7 p.m. ET

Jan. 23 marks the third anniversary since Juan Guaidó declared himself president during an outdoor rally in Caracas. The US and Canada immediately recognized Juan Guaidó. The Canadian Foreign Policy Institute will be hosting a discussion about the Liberal's failed bid to replace the elected government of Venezuela. What does Guaidó’s failure mean for US and Canadian influence in the region? What will it take for the Liberal's to stop recognizing Guaidó, lay the Canadian-led Lima Group to rest, and remove their sanctions on Venezuela?

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_HgfXJxcTTTWrXEf7EPlglA

_______________________

_______________________

Last of the Right Whales

Sun. - Wed. Jan. 23 – 26

Last of the Right Whales, directed by acclaimed Canadian filmmaker Nadine Pequeneza, follows a passionate group of people - from a crab fisher to a marine biologist - all fighting to save the critically endangered North Atlantic right whale.

Playing at select theatres across Canada: https://lastoftherightwhales.com/screenings/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxFcNF1Wj5Q

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org /