Greenspiration News & Events: The Earth Sustains Us

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Jan 30 23:23:03 EST 2022

Honouring Thich Nhat Hanh

The renowned 95-year-old Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, founder of "engaged Buddhism," has passed away, leaving behind a legacy of interconnection. https://wagingnonviolence.org/forusa/2022/01/honoring-thich-nhat-hanh/

“Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don't even recognize: a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child—our own two eyes. All is a miracle.” - Thich Nhat Hanh. More of his quotes here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/9074.Thich_Nhat_Hanh

An explosive report on one of the largest carbon capture and storage facilities in Alberta is challenging the wisdom of Canada’s hydrogen strategy

The Quest carbon capture and storage (CCS) facility operated by Shell near Edmonton is emitting more GHGs than it captures.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/01/26/news/carbon-captures-questionable-numbers-spell-concern-canadas-hydrogen-plans

Say no to the carbon capture and storage tax credit

Don’t give Big Oil a multi-billion dollar lifeline. Fund real climate action, workers, and communities.

https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/don-t-give-big-oil-a-50-billion-lifeline

Rich nations could see ‘double climate dividend’ by switching to plant-based foods

High-income countries could cut their agricultural emissions by almost two-thirds through dietary change.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/rich-nations-could-see-double-climate-dividend-by-switching-to-plant-based-foods

How do we know? Because IPCC - a graphic story and video

How can we be so sure about what we know about climate change? Because of the amazing work of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

https://becauseipcc.thesuccession.ca/

Canada, NATO fanning flames of war in Ukraine

https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/opinion/tamara-lorincz-canada-nato-fanning-flames-of-war-in-ukraine-100685615/

Sign the DAMN! Petition

I support the demand of the Reform Gravel Mining Coalition that the Ontario government impose an immediate moratorium on all new gravel mining approvals.

https://www.reformgravelmining.ca/petition

Justice for People Hurt on Ontario Roads

Bill 54: Protecting Vulnerable Road Users has passed Second Reading. We urge you to let your MPP, Minister of Transportation and Premier of Ontario know that you believe people's lives matter and that Bill 54 must become law.

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/0c901edae47442159efad194f4f59067

Ontario: Support Conversion to Heat Pumps

Send a message to Ontario Energy Minister Todd Smith to establish a no-down-payment, zero-interest loan program to help electrically heated homes convert to air source heat pumps for home energy savings of up to $2,000 per household.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/too-good-to-be-true-but-it-is/

Ontario: More gas and nukes?

Send a message to ON Energy Minister Todd Smith that his gov't is off track with a 600% gas ramp up and new nuclear reactor. Renewables are a fraction of the cost, proven, safer and lower emission.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/lead/

Depave Paradise

We support volunteers and neighbourhoods across Canada to remove unwanted pavement and plant gardens filled with native species in its place.

https://depaveparadise.ca/

Stop Policing Mental Health - Toronto

Why are we spending $25 million more on policing and so much less on alternatives? Send a message to your Councillor here.

https://act.newmode.net/action/reach-out-response-network/stop-policing-mental-health

_______________________

_______________________

2022 ReFrame Film Festival - The Earth Sustains Us

Thur. Jan. 27 - Thur. Feb. 3

The Earth Sustains Us is a selection of 5 short Canadian films about cultivating and caring for the earth. The program includes: Mnoomin: The Gift of the Creator, The Hands That Feed Us, Walking with Plants, Conserving Catchacoma, Toxic Neighbour

https://watch.eventive.org/reframe2022/play/61d66c8c1700fa005b43703b/61c1e1d1fa151e00448dfa57

Highly recommended: Toxic Neighbour https://reframe2022.eventive.org/films/toxic-neighbour-61c1e673ab8f2e004ea9fac5

_______________________

_______________________

Advancing Disability Rights

Mon. Jan. 31, 1 - 2 p.m. ET

How can we create a more inclusive and accessible Canada? What are some of the socially-made barriers that exclude and harm people with disabilities? How do traditional systems of philanthropy and funding models perpetuate inequalities for people with disabilities?

https://www.ryerson.ca/alumni/lifelong-learning/generous-futures/2022/01/generous-futures-advancing-disability-rights/

_______________________

_______________________

How Cities Fail Women: Towards Safety and Inclusion in a Feminist City

Mon. Jan. 31, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Leslie Kern, author of Feminist City: Claiming Space in a Man-Made World, will examine how cities have long failed women by refusing to acknowledge gender differences in the ways people move, work, live, and play in urban environments. She contends that Women have often been excluded or sidelined in planning, policymaking, and consultation processes regarding transit, housing, jobs, and safety; and will explore best and emerging innovative practices for improving safety from gender-based violence in our cities.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QVYzpXZXSnCHpihA57ybjA

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Transit: A Tour of the Ontario Line

Tues. Feb 1, 11 a.m.

Transit activist Steve Munroe describes the evolution of the Ontario Line from the Downtown Relief Line

- Stations and development plans from Exhibition to Science Centre

- Transit travel changes with the Ontario Line

- Contention between plans and communities

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_q6m29k_sRl2bmgVT7mGlCA

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Waste On-line 2022: Canada Overview

Wed. Feb 2, 7 p.m. ET

An overview and update on the Nuclear Waste Management Organization's efforts to site a deep geological repository for high level nuclear fuel waste. The webinar will update on the NWMO program and activities as the company zeros in on the two municipalities - South Bruce and Ignace - that remain engaged in the NWMO's siting process. The focus will be on the NWMO's program and associated developments in Canada's radioactive waste policy, regulation and nuclear expansions.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ztP2iZMmSgSEYP0zuHDUww

_______________________

_______________________

The Green Agriculture Wave

Wed. Feb. 2, 11 a.m. ET

This session details a 30% reduction in agricultural emissions by 2030, and a 50% cut by 2050.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_LPKEKnaTSOKC5LMRSEETLQ

_______________________

_______________________

Winning Petitions & Winning Campaigns

Wed. Feb. 2, 5 pm PST / 8 pm EST

Leadnow is running an online training to teach you how to create winning petitions & winning campaigns. We'll teach you how to choose your issue, come up with a winning strategy, raise the heat on decision makers, and get people behind you.

https://act.leadnow.ca/volunteer-events/winning-campaigns/

_______________________

_______________________

Youth For Climate Justice

Thur. Feb. 3, 4 - 5 pm ET

How do young leaders maintain hope while facing the defining challenge of our time? Listen and learn from internationally recognized youth advocates in the fight for climate justice. Co-Hosted By: School of Cities, University of Toronto and Fridays For Future Toronto.

https://www.schoolofcities.utoronto.ca/events/youth-climate-justice

_______________________

_______________________

Posing as Canadian: How Big Foreign Oil captures Canadian energy and climate policy

Thur. Feb 3, 7 p.m. ET

Join us for a conversation with Gordon Laxer about the elephant in the room that Jason Kenney’s phony recent investigation of “anti-Alberta interests” ignored: Big Foreign Oil. In his report, Laxer breaks down how Big Oil, despite being overwhelmingly foreign-owned, has draped itself in the Canadian flag in order to legitimize its interests, and he explains what we must do now to curb the power of foreign oil giants. Amidst a growing climate crisis, it is urgent that we understand how wealthy foreign-owned oil corporations are using their power to block climate action in Canada – the better to fight it.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_HYhAVaBiTOuHOla7uQtkYg

_______________________

_______________________

Fossil Gas in the Home - Energy vs Climate

Thur. Feb. 3, 2 p.m. ET

The debate on the future of fossil gas is heating up. A growing number of cities are adopting bans on using the fuel in the home, while states are taking action to ban the bans. From gas stoves to hot water heaters and furnaces, Bruce Nilles will help us break down what electrifying these aspects of home might look like in Alberta and Canada more broadly.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_PS-N3OjiTE-9uyLUXZU-6g

_______________________

_______________________

On the Brink: Understanding the Ukraine Crises & Paths Toward a Just Peace

Thur. Feb. 3, 2 - 3 pm ET

With Richard Sakwa, Professor of Russian and European politics at the University of Kent and associate fellow of the Russia and Eurasia program at Chatham House. He is renowned for his nuanced and incisive analysis of Russian politics and society. A leading authority on Russian affairs.

http://masspeaceaction.org/event/on-the-brink-understanding-the-ukraine-crises-paths-toward-a-just-peace/

_______________________

_______________________

Home Safe Toronto

Thur. Feb. 3, 6 p.m. ET

A screening and panel discussion about families living with the threat and the reality of homelessness. It shows how the housing crisis in Canada is an expression of the increasing economic and job insecurity that has devastated the manufacturing sector in the GTA and southern Ontario. The film reveals the consequences of this “new economy”, where families surviving on low wages, with no benefits and no job security.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/home-safe-toronto-screening-and-panel-discussion-tickets-247202418087

_______________________

_______________________

How To Talk to Anyone About Climate Change

Starts Thur. Feb. 3, 5:30 - 7:30 pm PT

This 4-session course will draw on values, research, storytelling and the latest communications evidence to learn how to talk about climate change as if it mattered to everyone. To register, email mailto:madyson at spec.bc.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Care Crisis in Healthcare – Bill 124 and more

Thur. Feb. 7:30 pm. ET

An online gathering on what is happening with nurses, PSW’s, healthcare workers and our healthcare system

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZEijP7fURBOYjE5JQyu4IQ

_______________________

_______________________

Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency, with Seth Klein

Fri. Feb. 4, 3 - 4:30 p.m. ET

Seth’s book – A Good War: Mobilizing Canada for the Climate Emergency – was released in Sept. 2020. Seth Klein is currently the Team Lead and Director of Strategy for the Climate Emergency Unit.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/mobilizing-canada-for-the-climate-emergency-with-seth-klein-tickets-227261313707

_______________________

_______________________

Canada at a Crossroads on China “Work Together or Perish Together” featuring Noam Chomsky

Fri. Feb. 4, 4 p.m. ET

In aiming to “develop and launch a comprehensive Indo-Pacific strategy” and strengthening ties to the US, the Trudeau government has signaled its intent to join US-led war preparations in the Asia Pacific and provoke China. Join world-renowned linguist and lifetime anti-war activist Noam Chomsky in a webinar to consider the pitfalls of closer alignment with the US empire, and why diplomacy and working with China are the only option to meet the global challenges ahead.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qZNIbZ0LSrmeYYw-b5-m7g

_______________________

_______________________

Abolition. Feminism. Now. With Angela Davis and more.

Thur. Feb. 4, 5 - 6:30 p.m. ET

As a politic and a practice, abolition increasingly shapes our political moment — halting the construction of new jails and propelling movements to divest from policing. Yet erased from this landscape are not only the central histories of feminist — usually queer, anti-capitalist, grassroots, and women of color — organizing that continue to cultivate abolition but a recognition of the stark reality: abolition is our best response to endemic forms of state and interpersonal gender and sexual violence.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/abolition-feminism-now-tickets-254804957487

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/