Greenspiration News & Events: Fighting for the Future

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 6 23:28:17 EST 2022

What the Left can learn from the “Freedom Convoy”

Defeating the growth of the far-right means acknowledging real grievances and countering their narrative with an inclusive left-wing populism

https://breachmedia.ca/what-the-left-can-learn-from-the-freedom-convoy/

Stop burning trees for electricity – a Petition to the Canadian Government

The race to fight climate change and shift to a renewable-powered future must not include false solutions.  Burning forests for electricity – also known as biomass – is dirtier than coal at the smokestack and is destroying some of the most carbon-rich forests in Canada, the U.S. and Europe.

https://act.stand.earth/page/35202/petition/1

Pre-Budget Consultations – Deadline Feb. 25

Let gov't you know you want a reduction in military spending and a re-allocation to urgent climate action and environmental and social needs.

https://www.letstalkbudget2022.ca/let-s-talk-budget-2022

End subsidies and other public financing for fossil fuel companies.

https://davidsuzuki.org/action/no-more-fossil-fuel-subsidies

Should nuclear be part of the energy future?

Debate featuring MV Ramana and Amory Lovins recorded Feb. 4, 2022.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D9R6l8ThpI

Stop arming Ukraine, end Operation UNIFIER and Operation REASSURANCE, and withdraw all Canadian Armed Forces from Eastern Europe:

Petition: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/ukraineconflict

Statement: https://www.foreignpolicy.ca/ukraine

Gas stoves leak methane even while off, boosting climate change

Gas stoves are contributing more to climate change than previously thought, in part because of constant tiny methane leaks while they're off, raising new concerns about indoor air quality and health because of levels of nitrogen oxides measured.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/gas-stoves-methane-1.6331496

Why oil and gas heating bans for new homes are a growing trend

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/bans-fossil-fuel-heating-homes-1.6327113

Getting Ontario to a Zero-Carbon Electricity Grid by 2030

An unbeatable recipe for phasing out gas-fired power.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/an-unbeatable-recipe-for-phasing-out-gas-fired-power/

Doug Ford vowed savings from cancelling cap-and-trade. Now, Ontario faces two lawsuits

Three years after the PCs scrapped a program they falsely labelled a ‘carbon tax,’ businesses that lost money on emissions credits — including global giant Koch Industries — have filed legal actions against the government.

https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-cap-trade-lawsuits/

Stop the Ring of Fire & Protect Indigenous Rights

https://attawapiskatriverprotectors.com/how-to-support/allies-take-action/

In honour of Black History Month, a FREE masterclass on Black History

with Angela Davies, Cornell West, Nikoke Hannah-Jones, Kimberle Williams Crenshaw & others (this month only)

https://learn.masterclass.com/blackhistorymonth

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Happy International Development Week Feb. 6-12

https://www.international.gc.ca/campaign-campagne/idw-sdi/index.aspx?lang=eng

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Power – Myth, Lure, Danger and Reality. A Climate Solution or a Dangerous Detour

Mon. Feb. 7, 7 p.m. ET

- Do we have a solution to the nuclear waste storage problem? How safe is nuclear? From Accident? From attack? Should we expect more Chernobyls and Fukushimas?

- What is the relationship between nuclear power and the proliferation of nuclear weapons?

 - What are the upcoming SMRs (small modular reactors) and fusion?

 - What are the impacts of nuclear power on the environment?

 - How can we address the issues of nuclear power and work to avoid climate catastrophe?

https://masspeaceaction.org/event/nuclear-power-myth-lure-danger-and-reality/

_______________________

_______________________

Women's Leadership in the Pursuit of Peace and Security

Mon. Feb. 7, 4 - 6 pm ET

This virtual roundtable will feature experts working around the world to uplift and advance women’s voices, leadership and priorities in moments of instability, conflict, extremism, and crisis.

https://www.bccic.ca/event/idw-2022-kickoff/

_______________________

_______________________

Intervening at Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Hearings

Mon. Feb. 7, 5 - 6:30 pm ET

NB Power is asking for a 25-year licence renewal for its Point Lepreau nuclear generating station. Learn more about your environmental rights and how citizens and groups can submit a written or oral ‘intervention’ at the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission’s hearing.

https://cela.ca/webinar-intervening-at-canadian-nuclear-safety-commission-hearings/

_______________________

_______________________

The Ocean's Whistleblower

Mon. Feb. 7, 7 - 8 pm ET

Daniel Pauly shares his extraordinary life and career in ocean sciences and discusses how knowledge of environmental degradation is lost over time, leading to a misguided understanding of what we have helped destroy.

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEVT450735&R=EVT450735

_______________________

_______________________

Ford's Bogus Climate Plan - The Climate Emergency and the new face of denial

Tues. Feb. 8, 7:30 p.m. ET

With less than 5 months before the June 2 ON provincial election, it’s time to take stock of Doug Ford’s climate legacy. Join us for a virtual presentation by David Robertson, from Seniors for Climate Action Now (SCAN!), on the immense and growing cost of Doug Ford’s brand of climate change denial.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0tcu-urTsoGdUbe_45cMi3Cv-RkPi1fxn2

_______________________

_______________________

Social Justice and the City: From Organizing to Movement Building

Tues. Feb. 8, 6 - 8:30 pm ET

How has social justice activism in the city changed with the pandemic? What has been lost, gained or put on hold? What are the challenges and opportunities that we as organizers have in front of us? As our first event of the new year, OPIRG York invites you to hear about, and reflect on, lessons learned and issues faced by key organizers from several of the city’s key movements and organizations.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/social-justice-and-the-city-from-organizing-to-movement-building-tickets-255650717177

_______________________

_______________________

Older Adults & Parks. How can Parks help us to live Older, Healthier, Happier?

Tues. Feb. 8, 11 a.m. ET

Older Adults – a full 1/3 or our lives! But older adults are low park users in many countries; why? How to increase park use by all older adults? We'll consider how to use parks to have healthier and happier lives as older adults.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_W53A8jmOR5qnPDRWVc7OeA

_______________________

_______________________

Ukraine - The Next NATO War?

Tues. Feb. 7, 2 pm ET

What’s going on in Ukraine? Why are Russian troops at the border? What’s it got to do with NATO? Peace movements across Europe are addressing these questions, engaging with peace activists in Ukraine and beyond to work for a sustainable peace. Organised by No to war – No to NATO network.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEqf-qopjsoE9z6Rsv8LOFwXPjmBAu1sMsP

https://www.no-to-nato.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Waste On-line 2022: Informed and Unwilling - Close Up on NWMO Candidate Sites

Wed. Feb. 9, 7 p.m. ET

A closer look at the two areas under investigation by the Nuclear Waste Management Organization’s as potential burial sites for all of Canada’s high level waste, and the communities’ views and experience as the NWMO marches through their self-assigned siting process. Guest speakers from Protect Our Waterways – No Nuclear Waste in South Bruce and We the Nuclear Free North in northern Ontario.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_XIl5n-kNTCiEDtFZ5-GLeQ

_______________________

_______________________

Medicine Not Missiles

Wed. Feb. 9, 8 - 9 p.m. ET

Canada plans to purchase fighter jets — what are the implications for our health and safety? With Dr. Jonathan Down, President of International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, Canada.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88598249174

_______________________

_______________________

Life of a Tree

Wed. Feb. 9, 1 - 2:30 p.m. ET

Learn about the life cycle of trees and what features can help you decipher a tree’s identity. We will also introduce you to keystone and interesting species that you can find in your neighbourhood.

https://trca.ca/learning/nature-elearning/#event=life-of-a-tree-9;instance=20220209130000

_______________________

_______________________

Fighting for the Future: Youth Organizing for Climate Justice

Session 1 -- Power Analysis: The Truth about Youth, Feb. 10, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

Session 2 -- Building Youth Power: Tactics to Win, Feb. 17, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

Session 3 -- In It for the Long Haul: Climate Grief and Sustainable Organizing, Feb. 24, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

Join youth leaders in conversation with experienced organizers about their organizing successes, along with hard-hitting political analysis on what it takes to win a better world for and as young people. These sessions are geared toward Canadian youth who want to organize for climate justice in their communities; and non-profit organizations that are looking to deepen their work with youth organizers.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_VOf4KsBNTP2eqynfKS1IOQ

https://www.sustainabilitynetwork.ca/events/fighting-for-the-future-webinar-series

_______________________

_______________________

Why Canada Shouldn't Buy the F-35: Harms and Risks

Thur. Feb. 10, 7:30 - 9 p.m. ET

In just a few weeks or months, the Trudeau government will award and sign a contract for $19 billion for 88 new fighter jets. It’s the second most expensive procurement in Canadian history. The life-cycle cost is estimated at $77 billion. We will discuss the history of the F-35 program, and the prime contractor Lockheed Martin. We will give an update on the program and raise concerns Canadians should consider in their decision about buying the F-35. Hosted by the Canadian Foreign Policy Institute (CPFI) and the Women’s International League for Peace & Freedom (WILPF)-Canada

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_pSFkF8nHRImpZsk326W2hQ

_______________________

_______________________

Injunctions: The imbalances, Indigenous injustices, and insights into reform

Thur. Feb. 10, 10:30 a.m. to noon PT

Injunctions are often granted by the courts against First Nations to corporations to continue to proceed with work unimpeded, and then enforced by RCMP without respect for Free, Prior and Informed Consent or Indigenous laws. In BC, we have witnessed the violent arrests of Wet’suwet’en members, Gitxsan members and other land defenders as part of an injunction to ensure the construction of the Coastal Gas Link pipeline; and at Fairy Creek and surrounding areas to remove Indigenous and other land defenders blocking Teal Jones from pursuing Old Growth logging operations. In this webinar, we will wade through injunctions with our research and legal experts to examine the corporate/Indigenous imbalance, common law built up around them, conflicts with Indigenous laws and rights, and potential pathways forward out of the legal status quo.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NMDbv3dFTGSGuZ17sBiQ5g

_______________________

_______________________

Toronto Virtual Budget Town Hall – Have Your Say

Thur. Feb. 10, 6:30 pm ET

Join Councillors Layton, Cressy, and Wong-Tam in a joint town hall to discuss the 2022 Municipal Budget and important issues for our communities including COVID-19 impacts and public health; housing and the environment; and Downtown recovery.

https://www.kristynwongtam.ca/2022Budget

_______________________

_______________________

Whose Budget is it, anyway?

Thur. Feb. 10, 7:30 p.m. ET

Panel of speakers on the upcoming federal budget. Organized by Rabble.ca

https://rabble.ca/politics/canadian-politics/off-the-hill-whose-budget-anyway/

_______________________

_______________________

Consumerism & Consumption

Fri. Feb. 11, noon - 1 p.m. ET

A panel of experts discuss the impacts of consumer culture on our society and ecology and share some alternatives to lifestyles that are becoming increasingly unsustainable.

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEVT450701&R=EVT450701

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/