Greenspiration News & Events: No to war!

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sun Feb 27 23:59:51 EST 2022

The Peace Sign = Nuclear Disarmament

The Peace sign was created in 1958. The design is, in part, modeled after naval semaphore flags that sailors use to communicate: "N" (two flags angled down at a 45 degrees) for "nuclear" and "D" (one flag pointed straight up and one flag pointed straight down) for "disarmament."

No to War - ні війні (ni viyni)

More than 6000 Russian anti-war protesters have been arrested. Courage!

Why is Ukraine the West's Fault? Featuring John Mearsheimer

This recording is from 2015, but still a very relevant historical overview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrMiSQAGOS4

As Russia Seizes Chernobyl Site, Ukraine’s 15 Nuclear Reactors Pose Unprecedented Risk in War Zone

https://www.democracynow.org/2022/2/25/russia_seizes_1986_chernobyl_nuclear_site

Chernobyl no-go zone targeted as Russia invades Ukraine

https://apnews.com/article/ukraine-chernobyl-russia-invasion-6f4b2da3c9623b7f1bf8f250a73a1bb5

This is how we defeat Putin and other petrostate autocrats

Today, 60% of Russia's exports are oil and gas; they supply the money that powers the country’s military machine. Europe needs to respond with solar and wind power. By Bill McKibben.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/25/this-is-how-we-defeat-putin-and-other-petrostate-autocrats

Canada’s interference in Ukrainian democracy

We must condemn Russia’s invasion but understand that Canada has often not been a force for good in that part of the world.

https://rabble.ca/politics/world-politics/canadas-interference-in-ukrainian-democracy/

Militarism Cannot Prevent War: An urgent call for de-escalation, demilitarisation, and disarmament in relation to Ukraine and beyond

Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom’s statement

https://www.wilpf.org/militarism-cannot-prevent-war-an-urgent-call-for-de-escalation-demilitarisation-and-disarmament-in-relation-to-ukraine-and-beyond/

Canadian Voice of Women for Peace’s statement

https://vowpeace.org/vow-statement-on-ukraine-feb-24-2022/

International Emergency Online Rally: No War in Ukraine - No to NATO - recording of rally hosted by CodePink on Feb 26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQ_i_b4qnI

---------

Why the TMX Will Endlessly Spill Taxpayers’ Money

Trudeau’s boondoggle — $21.4 billion and rising — includes a sucker’s deal that keeps Canadians forever on the hook.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2022/02/23/Why-TMX-Will-Endlessly-Spill-Taxpayers-Money/

Global Gas Pipeline Boom Poses Climate, Financial Disaster

The fact that nearly half-a-trillion dollars of gas pipelines are in development makes no sense economically as many of these projects will become stranded assets as the world transitions to renewables.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/02/22/global-gas-pipeline-boom-poses-climate-financial-disaster

Voices from the electoral reform movement

Bi-weekly presentations and recordings from past events. Hosted by Unlock Democracy Canada.

https://www.unlockdemocracy.ca/voices_from_the_movement

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Seedy Saturday

Feb. 26 - Sat. March 12

Toronto Virtual Seedy Saturday 2022 will consist of two weeks of opportunities to learn about seeds, seed saving and gardening from webinars, gardening gurus , growers and more. Hosted by Virtual Seedy Saturday ( TVSS) and Seeds of Diversity. Check out the webinars, panels, seed exchanges, kids activities, FAQs and more here.

http://seedysaturday.ca/toronto/

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear weapons and human rights

Mon. Feb. 28, 10 a.m. ET

An intergenerational event to commemorate Nuclear Remembrance Day and World Future Day. This event will highlight the human rights of those impacted by nuclear weapons testing, and it will advance the human right to a nuclear-weapon-free future.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_-q9MrFS7QSSQUEFAzRQBEQ

_______________________

_______________________

The Genesis Machine

Mon. Feb. 28, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Synthetic biology is the promising and controversial technology platform that combines biology and artificial intelligence, that is currently being applied to solve some of life's most existential problems including climate change and world hunger. Now we are applying this technology to program the most complex computer system on earth, the human body. We look at both the promise and peril posed by this technology and how we might ensure political and societal policy make wise decisions in the application of this new technology on our everyday lives.

https://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDMEVT450703&R=EVT450703

_______________________

_______________________

A Conversation with Climate Leaders: Where do we go next?

Tues. March 1, 7 p.m. ET

Join 350.org and Council of Canadians for a conversation with climate leaders Anjali Appadurai, Campaigns Director at Climate Emergency Unit, Avi Lewis, Associate Professor at UBC, and local organizers, Juan Vargas from Climate Justice Edmonton, to take stock of the political moment we are in and how we organize to deliver climate solutions that truly meet the urgency of the compounding crises we face.

https://act.350.org/signup/ipcc-organizing-call/

_______________________

_______________________

OPTrust and the Climate Crisis

Tues. March 1, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Join working and retired employees of the Ontario Public Service to learn how you can help protect your pension and tackle the climate crisis. Hosted by climate and energy experts from Shift Action for Pension Wealth and Planet Health.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/optrust-and-the-climate-crisis-tickets-256282867957

_______________________

_______________________

No War in Ukraine! Negotiations, not Escalation

Tues. March 1, 8 p.m. ET

The U.S. insists that Ukraine may join NATO in the future while Russia insists that it should not. NATO has become a worldwide military alliance as the U.S. pursues its policy of a new Cold War against Russia. Will Ukraine be recognized as a neutral nation or will the U.S. maintain its goal of integrating Ukraine into NATO? Can Europe turn towards a common security policy before NATO’s June summit in Madrid? Hosted by CODEPINK.

https://www.codepink.org/03012022

_______________________

_______________________

The High Price of Bad Energy Choices: Doug Ford, Renewables and the Climate Emergency

Wed. Mar 2, 7:30 p.m. ET

Jack Gibbons of The Ontario Clean Air Alliance will speak on Doug Ford's climate-blind, electrical grid choices and how we can get to a lower cost, zero carbon grid by 2030

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwodOuoqjouEtONzSg77-vol1xynGrIx-tL

www.OntarioClimateAction.ca

_______________________

_______________________

Can Small Modular Reactors rescue nuclear power? An assessment from Canada

Wed. Mar. 2, 8 p.m. ET

Last December, Ontario Power Generation (OPG) announced that it will work with GE Hitachi Nuclear Energy to deploy the BWR-X, a small modular reactor (SMR) designed by GE-Hitachi. Will SMRs be the savior of the nuclear industry, or is it just wishful thinking? Our guests M.V. Ramana and Kerrie Blaise will discuss the problems associated with SMRs, regulatory and economic, as well as the challenges these pose for equity and justice.

https://cela.ca/webinar-can-small-modular-reactors-rescue-nuclear-power-an-assessment-from-canada/

_______________________

_______________________

Diplomatic Paths to Resolution of the Ukraine/European Security Crisis

Wed. March 2, 10 - 11:30 am ET

Our peace movements have been urging diplomacy, not war, midst the tensions of the bellicose political rhetoric of the Ukraine/European security crisis. Former government officials, advisors and peace advocates have been developing and pressing for a wide range of diplomatic paths to a just and enduring peace for Ukrainian and Europe as a whole: immediate risk reduction, Ukraine’s identity and sovereignty, nuclear weapons and conventional military treaty negotiations, and respect for post-Cold War commitments that no nation will seek security at the expense of others. Hosted by the Campaign for Peace, Disarmament and Common Security, Massachusetts Peace Action, International Peace Bureau.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_qOf-FBCISHC8BJ_zIjaHsw

_______________________

_______________________

Ready to Talk Climate in Ontario?

Wed. March 2, 7 p.m.

We are holding this session to help people feel more comfortable talking about climate justice. Whether you’d like to feel more confident talking to someone you bump into at the supermarket or are ready to hold a more structured conversation, this training is designed to help you feel more confident, informed and empowered.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/ready-to-talk-climate-in-ontario-tickets-251719759577

More resources here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1mBysZNVAnQJZo0jZKy9SgWEB66FipLrdRtuy4Lm5Z-g/edit

_______________________

_______________________

Anniversary of Tooker’s passing - RIP

Thur. March 3, 2004:  http://greenspiration.org/tooker/memorial/

Read one of his more than 100 articles: http://greenspiration.org/tooker/tookers-collected-writings/

Le Monde a Bicyclette (song):  http://greenspiration.org/tooker-le-monde-a-bicyclette-song/

_______________________

_______________________

Eric Krause Memorial Lecture 2022

Thur. March 3, 5 - 7 pm ET

Internationally renowned Columbia University and NASA scientist Dr. Kate Marvel discuss using climate models, observations, paleoclimate reconstructions, and basic theory to study climate change at present and the future. Her work has identified human influences on present-day cloud cover, rainfall patterns, and drought risk. Named one of "15 Women Who Will Save the World" by Time Magazine, she has been profiled by the New York Times and Rolling Stone, and her 2017 TED talk has been viewed over one million times.

https://www.environment.utoronto.ca/events/eric-krause-memorial-lecture-2022

_______________________

_______________________

Air Source Heat Pumps

Thur. Mar 3, 8 p.m. ET

If you care about the climate and really want to reduce your carbon footprint, stop heating with gas! Your best alternative is likely an Air Source Heat Pump (ASHP). How does it work?  Will it reduce our heating bills?  How much will it reduce GHG emissions? With Erik Janssen, Analyst, TRCA Sustainable Technologies Evaluation Program. Hosted by Pocket Change.

https://yorku.zoom.us/j/94512154189

_______________________

_______________________

Watershed Moment: Spirituality, Forests and Fresh Water

Thur. March 3, 5:30 pm PT

Forests and fresh water are essential to life on our planet. They also feature prominently in the ritual, ceremony and the sense of the sublime across religious and spiritual traditions. Yet our forests and bodies of water are increasingly at risk. Do religion and spirituality have a role to play in our understanding of or response to the crisis? Panelists Tzeporah Berman, Deondre Smiles and Christiana Zenner consider some of the pressing questions of our time.

https://uvic.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ywwrHmHVSx6Lq028FQel2w

_______________________

_______________________

Power in Relationships: A People’s Response to the Convoy

Thur. March 3, 8 p.m. ET

This 1-hour session will focus on building a shared understanding about the origins of the convoy and what an effective pathway forward could look like, and equip you with practical tools to engage in conversations with people in your life about the convoy. Hosted by Leadnow after surveying 28,000 Leadnow members.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_1jjShkxVT5mco-iWhA97Xg

_______________________

_______________________

One Earth Film Festival

Your ticket to the 21 best films on people & planet

March 4 - 13

The festival features free environmental and social justice film watch parties, engaging post-film discussions, and actions everyone can take for a more just and sustainable future.

https://www.oneearthfilmfest.org/

List of films: https://www.oneearthfilmfest.org/films-az

_______________________

_______________________

International Women’s Day 2022: People and Planet Over Profit: Revolutionary Love for All

Sat. March 5, 1 pm ET

Toronto Virtual Rally streaming at:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/IWDToronto

YouTube: https://bit.ly/2022iwdtoronto

_______________________

_______________________

Rally against the far right and in solidarity with people on the frontline of the pandemic

Sat. March 5, 3 pm ET

Christie Pits (Christie and Bloor), Toronto

Let’s show what solidarity looks like. Please join us and show up for the people in Toronto who have suffered the most during the pandemic: shelterless people, low-income, precariously-employed and frontline workers, healthcare workers, women, BIPOC, people with disabilities. Let’s take back our city and our streets to open up a space for frustration against the far right and government disregard of human needs during the pandemic.

Please add your name in support of the statement here: https://forms.gle/mg6ZukdVDzPaDX697

_______________________

Global Day of Action for Peace in Ukraine

Sun. March 6

For Canadian events contact: lyn at vowpeace.org

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/