Greenspiration News & Events: Still Hopeful

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon May 2 00:28:08 EDT 2022

Global Letter to End Fossil Fuels and Nuclear, Transition to Just & Renewable Energy in response to Ukraine-Russia War

Signed by more than 500 organizations

https://www.biologicaldiversity.org/programs/energy-justice/pdfs/2022-4-27_Letter-to-World-Leaders-re-End-Fossil-Fuel-Era-Accelerate-Transtion-to-Renewable-Energy.pdf

Enviro War Crimes by Russia in Ukraine

Ukrainian NGO Ecoaction is monitoring and logging alleged environmental war crimes committed by Russian forces in Ukraine, in hopes of pursuing justice at international courts. Ecoaction’s climate department head, Evgenia Zasiadko, explains her greatest concerns when it comes to the environmental cost of the conflict, and what motivates her to keep fighting for her country’s diverse ecological landscape.

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-57-the-sunday-magazine/clip/15908317-tracking-environmental-cost-war-ukraine

Ukraine Explainers

Mini-bites to understanding Ukraine and the Russian Invasion. Fact-checked, bite-sized, easy to share.

https://uaexplainers.com/

Why fossil fuel demand is set to plummet

The war in Ukraine and Covid-19 will dramatically reduce how much oil and gas we consume over the next decade.

https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-of-the-day/2022/04/why-fossil-fuel-demand-is-set-to-plummet

Playing For Change - Peace through music

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn25nZ12HEZq_w_m_1DmbbA

Meet the Protesters Going to Jail to Fight Climate Change

Seven activists reflect on risking arrest and serving time.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/04/27/Meet-Protesters-Fighting-Climate-Change/

Proportional representation and climate action

Scientists are telling us that climate action in the next decade will decide our fate. New evidence strengthens the link between proportional representation and better environmental performance (especially in the presence of right wing populists). We need our elected leaders to abandon their self-interested refusal to consider electoral reform.

https://www.fairvote.ca/climate/

Are you interested in better access to EV charging in Toronto?

Many Toronto residents are now driving or considering driving EVs because of rising gas prices and climate change. But many of us don’t have a garage or driveway to charge up, so more public chargers are needed on the street. If you own an EV or would like to make your next car an EV, share your input in this 2-minute anonymous survey by May 18.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NZ2NXN7

Still Hopeful: Lessons from a Lifetime of Activism - By Maude Barlow, Council of Canadians - Book Review

https://canadians.org/analysis/hope-moral-imperative-review-maude-barlows-new-book

Can Small Modular Reactors rescue nuclear power? An assessment from Canada

Despite being touted as a ‘climate solution,’ SMRs are unproven, dangerous, and expensive. There is also strong opposition to what could be Canada's first SMR, proposed for Chalk River, from Kebaowek First Nation. Recording of webinar.

https://cela.ca/webinar-can-small-modular-reactors-rescue-nuclear-power-an-assessment-from-canada/

_______________________

_______________________

Ontario Election June 2, 2022

Not One Seat!

A grassroots movement to ensure that Doug Ford wins #NotOneSeat in Toronto

https://www.notoneseat.ca/

Ontario Climate Emergency Campaign.

125 Ontario Groups Target Provincial Election Candidates with Emergency Climate Campaign

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/04/27/125-ontario-groups-target-provincial-election-candidates-with-emergency-climate-campaign/

Group sign on: https://www.ontarioclimateemergency.ca/copy-of-group-sign-on

Individual sign on: https://www.ontarioclimateemergency.ca/copy-of-sign-on-take-the-pledge

The Accessible Housing Network (AHN) invites Ontario voters to urge the candidates in their ridings to sign the Accessible Housing Pledge.

https://www.accessiblehousingnetwork.org/support-us

Election Toolkit by SCAN! (Seniors for Climate Action Now!)

https://seniorsforclimateactionnow.org/election-2022-toolkit/

2 min. humorous video by SCAN! (Seniors Climate Action Now!) on Doug Fords crimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7LQPNQbIuA

Ontario Voters Coalition

Electing A New Ontario Government

https://ontariovoterscoalition.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Hot Docs 2022

>From April 28 - May 8, we're bringing 226 films from across the globe to Toronto cinemas and into your living room on Hot Docs at Home.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/hot-docs-festival

_______________________

_______________________

The 37th Mayworks Festival of Working People and the Arts

May 1 - 31

Artists in this year’s Mayworks Festival celebrate networks of care, exploring how working people extend care to each other through generations, how this care is forged in resistance and how it is shaped and remembered through story. Mayworks Festival showcases seven new works and the world premiere of a new play. Events will take place in person across the Toronto as well as online.

http://www.mayworks.ca

_______________________

_______________________

A Fierce Green Fire: The Battle for a Living Planet

May 1 - 5

This doc is the first big-picture exploration of the environmental movement's grassroots and global activism spanning fifty years, from the early days of conservation to our current climate crisis. Covering halting dams in the Grand Canyon, battling twenty thousand tons of toxic waste at Love Canal, Greenpeace saving the whales, and the promise of transforming our civilization through our reckoning with climate change, this film tells extraordinary stories about people fighting – and succeeding – against enormous odds. From May 1-5, watch this film for free on any screen, anywhere.  Just register and you’ll get the link!

https://lp.constantcontactpages.com/su/sAjtdXX/EHTspring2022Films

_______________________

_______________________

Voices from the Movement w/ Jesse Hitchcock & Nicolas Rouleau

Mon. May 2, 7 p.m. ET

Voices from the Movement is a free online series featuring activists, advocates and community leaders who are collectively trying to reboot our democracy's operating system, to be more inclusive, responsive and meaningful. Hosted by Unlock Democracy Canada.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMtf-yorjIsG93cj1ytd1ZKmFcFh5t2Swfz

Full 2021 Schedule: https://www.unlockdemocracy.ca/voices_from_the_movement

_______________________

_______________________

Townhall on Ending Fossil Fuel Subsidies

Tues. May 3, 7 p.m. ET

This virtual town hall will be moderated by Climate Action Network Canada and open a space for the public to ask MPs questions about the phase-out of fossil fuel subsidies. This is a critical opportunity to push the government to boost ambition and accelerate the phase-out timeline. This town hall is also an opportunity to talk about what we can gain from ending fossil fuel subsidies by reinvesting funds toward a just transition and renewables. https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/6216509972798/WN_05-mzEnZR0acttmg0gFgUw

_______________________

_______________________

Doug Ford's Climate Crimes - A seniors' indictment on 33 counts

Tues. May 3, 7:30 p.m. ET

This virtual presentation will feature Ten Climate Reasons to Defeat Ford and a discussion about how climate groups and activists can use the 33 Climate Crimes to hold Ford accountable in the June 2nd Ontario Election. Hosted by SCAN! (Seniors for Climate Action Now!)

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMvdeivqjItG91wVFj6DBgY83KciNsE25C7

_______________________

_______________________

Canada Talks Electric Cars - Preparing the Grid for Bidirectional Charging

Tues. May 3, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET

Electric vehicles will soon be delivered with a promising new capability called bidirectional charging. As if EVs don't already have a slew of advantages over their internal combustion ancestors, this feature will take the EV ownership experience to a new level. Imagine using your car’s battery to keep the lights on at home during a power outage or to charge another EV on the side of the road. This capability even has the potential to return energy stored in your battery to the grid (V2G), providing support during periods of high energy demand.

https://members.evsociety.ca/event-4783298

_______________________

_______________________

Celebrating in Solidarity: A fundraiser for Wet'suwet'en

Tues. May 3, 7 p.m. ET

Let's fight for Indigenous Sovereignty and our planet by showing up to this Wet'suwet'en fundraiser. There will be musical performances, readings, and a talk from a spokesperson for Gitdimt'en checkpoint, Sleydo'.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_jBY2pmmjQk-D3zA-oTFmBQ

_______________________

_______________________

A Time to Rise - doc film screening

Tues. May 3, 6 p.m. ET

TIFF Lightbox, King and John, Toronto

The Asian Canadian Labour Alliance (ACLA) and Justice for Migrant Workers (J4MW) are helping to organize people to attend the Hot Docs May 3rd screening of Anand Padwaran's 'A Time to Rise'. The film highlights the organizing efforts of the Canadian Farmworkers Union in the 1980's. As it is Asian Heritage Month, we want people to come together and watch this film that explores an important historical event in our labour movement’s history. It is also a topic for our contemporary period to examine lessons learnt to what is ongoing today in fields across Canada.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/hot-docs-festival/films/2022/time-to-rise

_______________________

_______________________

The Future of Nepal's Rhinos

Tues. May 3, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Nepal’s greater one-horned rhino population is at a critical crossroad. While rhino numbers have increased, the rate of growth has slowed in recent years. How we respond to new challenges facing this iconic species and its habitat will determine its future survival. Join us for an exciting conversation with WWF’s global conservation experts as they share stories from the field, speak to how conservation efforts in Nepal have evolved, and how advancements in conservation knowledge and techniques are ensuring wildlife, nature and people thrive.

https://secure.wwf.ca/site/Calendar?id=100361&view=Detail

_______________________

_______________________

What Makes NYC's Central Park Spectacular?

Tues. May 3, 11 a.m. - noon ET

Betsy Smith, the President & CEO of the Central Park Conservancy, will share the story of how Central Park was planned, designed, and built, and how the Conservancy works daily to preserve and celebrate it as a sanctuary from the pace and pressures of city life for its over 40 million annual visitors.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MfKaBDf9RqiCfDyXsIAhOA

_______________________

_______________________

Israeli-Palestinian Joint Memorial Day Ceremony

Tues. May 3, 1:30 - 2:30 p.m. ET

Today we are launching the 17th Israeli-Palestinian Joint Memorial Ceremony, co-hosted by Combatants for Peace and Parents Circle-Families Forum. The ceremony transforms the single, militarised narrative by bringing together Israelis and Palestinians to remember their loved ones that were lost to the conflict, and to share the pain of the “other” – all this while the conflict continues around us. The ceremony carries an inspirational and unique message of peace and reconciliation, transforming despair into self-reflection, personal responsibility and ultimately, to hope. The ceremony will be broadcast live from Tel Aviv and Bethlehem.

https://afcfp.org/memorial/?mc_cid=e3b66c220b&mc_eid=5a88667fd8

_______________________

_______________________

You Have Not Yet Been Defeated

Tues. May 3, 6 p.m. ET

Join Seven Stories Press and Haymarket Books for a launch of Alaa Abd el-Fattah’s important new book, You Have Not Yet Been Defeated. Alaa Abd el-Fattah is arguably the most high-profile political prisoner in Egypt, if not the Arab world, rising to international prominence during the revolution of 2011. To celebrate the launch of the first English language collection of his essays, social media posts, and interviews, Alaa’s sister Sanaa Seif—herself an activist, filmmaker, and former political prisoner of the Sisi regime in Egypt—will be joined by Naomi Klein, Ruth Wilson Gilmore, and Sharif Abdel Kouddous for a conversation on the wide range of subjects covered in this important new book.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/you-have-not-yet-been-defeated-tickets-323340479077

_______________________

_______________________

Income Security, Climate Change and Community Resilience

Wed. May 4, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Climate change and income insecurity are major, interconnected challenges that limit the capacity of communities across Canada to build or strengthen resilience. During the past several months, The Green Resilience Project organized over 30 conversations with communities across Canada on the links between climate change, income security and their role in building resilient communities equipped with the tools they need to navigate a changing environment and economy. These conversations, facilitated by local community partners, explored how policies in these areas can work together to support communities in taking self-directed action on the challenges they face, and barriers to participation in solutions.

https://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/income-security-climate-change-and-community-resilience

_______________________

_______________________

Building the Solidarity Dividend: A Conversation with Heather McGhee

Wed. May 4, 8 p.m. ET

A renowned expert on the American economy, Heather McGhee is one of the most brilliant and influential thinkers exploring inequality today. Both her viral TED talk and her instant New York Times bestseller The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together reveal the devastating true cost of racism—not just for people of colour, but for everyone. This will mark McGhee’s first public appearance in Canada.

https://ofl.ca/event/heather-mcghee/

_______________________

_______________________

Powering net-zero

Wed. May 4, 9:30 a.m. ET

EARTH INDEX results + decarbonizing the power sector in G20 countries by 2030. Decarbonization in the power sector was the greatest source of G20 emissions reductions in 2019. With renewable electricity and grid modernization projected to grow at double digit rates throughout the 2020’s, the power sector is already undergoing rapid transformation. Join us as we discuss how this critical sector can help close the Say–Do Gap.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_IEWbSZGiTvyAjReKxgXCdQ

_______________________

_______________________

Pensions and the Climate Crisis

Wed. May 4, noon ET

The workshop will focus on OMERS, the $121 billion pension fund for Ontario municipal employees, including union and non-union staff at 60+ school boards.  Join Shift and school board staff from across Ontario to learn how you can help protect your OMERS pension and tackle the climate crisis. Learn more about OMERS’ approach to the financial risks of climate change and fossil fuel investments, and what it means for your retirement savings.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/pensions-the-climate-crisis-a-webinar-for-ontario-school-board-staff-tickets-305587509467

_______________________

_______________________

Youth Vs Gov - Panel Discussion

Wed. May 4, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

This new doc Youth Vs Gov tells the story of the 21 American youth, ages 14 to 25, who are suing the US gov't in the courts for inaction on climate change. Watch the documentary on your own time on Netflix and then join this virtual panel conversation with plaintiffs featured in the film, as well as the director.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdQniE-RcCDRPVVknYns8u6auTIfeNbBsxAxdii7Y3UsTu9dA/viewform?mc_cid=e2e0d3cf5b&mc_eid=911fe5f1ef

Trailer: https://www.youthvgovfilm.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Know Your Drugs - Preventing another opioid crisis

Thur. May 5, 4 - 5 p.m. ET

Elmvale Acres Library, 910 St. Laurent Blvd., Ottawa

How consumers of prescription drugs can be protected from side effects that cause death, disability and disfunction. A cross-Canada tour starting in Halifax, Nova Scotia on April 19, 2022, ending in Victoria, BC. David's personal tragedy provided the basis for the CTV W5 episode The Problem with Pills. His goal is to help “Canadians make informed choices about prescription drug use by educating them about Vanessa’s Law and prescription drug safety.”

https://vanessaslaworg.files.wordpress.com/2022/04/announcement-ottawa.pdf

_______________________

_______________________

Feminists vs. the War Machine

Thur. May 5, 6:30 p.m. ET

Join Lux and Haymarket for a discussion about feminist internationalism in the face of war. How do we practice feminist internationalism? The question has never been more urgent than today, as war rages in Ukraine.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/feminists-vs-the-war-machine-tickets-328162913107

_______________________

_______________________

Policing, Protest and the Resurgence of the Far Right

Thur. May 5, 7 p.m. ET

To better understand this moment in Canadian history, we turn to allies and leaders in anti-racist research and organizing. Please join us at our upcoming webinar where we will explore and discuss issues of policing, protest, and the resurgence of the far right. Hosted by Council of Canadians.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_QKEINx52RCmvdZbzu8J-Xw

_______________________

_______________________

A Reimagined Future of Food Security and Climate Resiliency

Thur. May 5, 11 a.m. - noon ET

The 2022 Food Price Report for Canada forecasts a 5 - 7% increase in food prices in 2022. This translates to an annual cost of food of $14,767 for the average Canadian family – an increase of $966 over 2021. This is a highly concerning figure for Canada’s most vulnerable people. There is more than enough food produced to nourish every Canadian, but over 50% of our produce gets wasted. There are clear systemic challenges that need to be explored.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/a-reimagined-future-of-food-security-and-climate-resiliency-week-1-tickets-319796970347

_______________________

_______________________

Reform Gravel Mining Online Rally: North Edition

Thur. May 5, 7 p.m. ET

Join the DAMN! Campaign for an online rally with the Northern Ontario community, featuring North Shore Environmental Resource Advocates (NSERA). There will be a variety of informative speakers, entertainment and actions you can take to support gravel mine reform.

https://www.reformgravelmining.ca/rgmc_north_edition

_______________________

_______________________

Reflections on the War Through the Eyes of Ukraine

Thur. May 5, 1:30 p.m. ET

Several of our Ukrainian friends will talk about their experiences during the war and answer audience questions about the state of the Ukrainian people and the damage to infrastructure and the environment in their homeland.

https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/6010145384915182093

_______________________

_______________________

Land Back / Land Acknowledgements: Bringing Indigenous Perspectives into the Institution

Thur. May 5, 3 p.m. ET

In an era of reconciliation, Indigenous-led land defences and institutional approaches to Indigenization, it is important to have a plurality of perspectives and theorizations. Indigenous voices remain important as the complexity and relevance of land acknowledgements continue to be debated in universities across Indigenous territories. This webinar facilitates a conversation about Indigenous sovereignty, stewardship and land acknowledgements in the university and where we go from here.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_cjAG4GYSShaORSqnLrpTYA

_______________________

_______________________

The Fight To Win Housing For All

Thur. May 5,  7- 9 p.m. ET

The crisis of housing and homelessness is worsening in Toronto and across Canada.  Government policy has led us to this point. Learn about the history that has brought us here as well as the struggles to fight back with longtime activists and authors A.J. Withers and Gaetan Heroux. Engage in ways to help fight for decent, affordable housing for all and an end to homelessness.

https://mailchi.mp/713bacf8aaad/fight-to-win

_______________________

_______________________

Exploring Circularity in Canadian Communities

Thur. May 5, 11:30 am – 1 pm ET

Join us to explore emerging circular economy success stories from Canadian cities and regions, and gain insights from international experts on why and how local governments can benefit from adopting circular economy approaches.

https://canadiancircularcities.ca/webinar-series/Pages/default.aspx

_______________________

_______________________

The impacts of Fast Fashion

Thur. May 5, 7:30 p.m. PT

The fashion industry is the second largest polluter in the world just after the oil industry. And the environmental damage is increasing as the industry grows. To learn more, we are going to talk to Loretta Foley, who will present an overview of these impacts and highlight examples of what you can do to minimize those impacts and support sustainable alternatives.

https://www.forourkids.ca/for_our_kids_north_shore_fashion

_______________________

_______________________

Jane's Walk

Fri. - Sun. May 6 - 8

Jane’s Walk is a festival of free, community-led walking conversations. Since 2007, we've brought together 40,000+ neighbours to share and celebrate their communities. Let's get walking!

https://www.janeswalkfestivalto.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Stop the War In Ukraine! Russian Troops Out! No to NATO Expansion

Sat. May 7, 1 p.m. Bloor and Spadina, Toronto

Join the International Day of Action for Peace in Ukraine

https://www.peaceinukraine.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Mother's Day for Peace

Sat. May 7, 3 p.m. ET

Christie and Bloor intersection, Toronto

Join us at the park bring your own message for peace - not war. OR from home, make a sign, take a photo, send to info at vowpeace.org for sharing. No Nukes! Make peace not war. Let's put our message out. Hosted by VOW (Voice of Women for Peace) and Pax Christi

https://vowpeace.org/

_______________________

_______________________

After the Convoy: Confronting the Far Right in Canada

Sat. May 7, 2 p.m. ET

The resurgence of the far right in Canada poses serious challenges for the left. Join us for a two-part series to discuss who and what are driving the re-emergence of the far right, its political impact from a leftist perspective, and strategies for building a mass movement to oppose it. This will be a meeting to discuss strategies on how to organize to stop the rise of the far right.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/part-2-after-the-convoy-confronting-the-far-right-in-canada-tickets-325378093637

Watch part 1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4il011bNBo

_______________________

_______________________

The Burnaby Mountain Hug!

Sat. May 7, 1 - 4 pm PT

Join together (Mother’s Day weekend) to stand against the Trans Mountain Pipeline Expansion and protect the planet! We will assemble in a human chain, circling Burnaby Mountain in a hug, to convey a powerful message of shared concern for our Mother Earth.

https://hugthemountain.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Accompanying water protectors in the fight against fracking

Sun. May 8, 2:30 p.m. ET

Join us to hear Colombian environmental defenders Yuvelis Morales and Carolina Agón who have received death threats due to their opposition to the imminent fracking pilot projects in Puerto Wilches. Oil Change International researcher Bronwen Tucker will also speak about the connections between Canadian corporations and fracking in Colombia. Hosted by Peace Brigades International-Canada.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_kb_XjH4NRa2rwz_H7pFFbQ

_______________________

_______________________

Give a gift of Climate Action to a Mom you love

Sun. May 8

“Actions speak louder than words” is something mothers say a lot. This Mother’s Day, let your actions do the talking!

https://act.newmode.net/action/our-kids/mothers-day-pledge-action

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear power: the jobs myth

Mon. May 9, 2 p.m. ET

This webinar will look at the myth of jobs in the nuclear sector, its links between civilian and defence jobs, and explain why waiting for the government to deliver on these will see other important work needed to decarbonise the economy neglected. It will explore the alternative for workers and the hype around small modular reactors.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Lr2ln2HZQkagvlaMkDiwVA

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency in Ontario: Rally for Climate, Communities and Nature!

Sat. May 14, 1 p.m. ET

Queen’s Park, College and University Aves, Toronto

Ontario’s environment is under threat. Greenhouse gas emissions are on the rise again, protections for nature are being dismantled, and mega projects are encroaching on communities. This spring we have a chance to choose another path - one that prioritizes people and the planet. In the lead up to the provincial election, show your support for a flourishing, low-carbon Ontario that offers good green jobs, prioritizes our collective health, and respects Indigenous rights. Let’s come together and make it clear that we want a government that will take immediate action to bring down emissions, protect biodiversity, and build sustainable communities. You’ll also hear a range of inspiring speakers and performers.

https://www.facebook.com/events/557419048938469/

https://environmentaldefence.ca/emergency-in-ontario-rally/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/