Greenspiration News & Events: Electrifying Canada

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 6 00:50:20 EDT 2022

PCs form “majority” government with 40.84% of the vote: Ontario voters cheated by first-past-the-post

Only 40.84% of Ontario voters supported the PCs, yet the voting system has handed Doug Ford’s PCs 67% of the seats and 100% of the power. It gets worse: Voter turnout fell to 43.54%. That means the current “majority” government is supported by 17.78% of eligible voters.

https://www.fairvote.ca/2022/06/04/pcs-form-majority-government-with-40-83-of-the-vote-ontario-voters-cheated-by-first-past-the-post/

Ontario Climate Hawks Look to Next Steps as Ford Surges to Second Majority Government

"The premier knows the people of Ontario are not going to accept a huge increase in the use of gas-fired power plants. He has (somewhat) seen the light on electric vehicles. Hopefully, his party can get over its irrational dislike of renewable energy and recognize that it is the only way to lower electricity costs now. He is also going to have a hard time explaining how a hugely costly new nuclear reactor is a viable alternative given his promise of fiscal responsibility.” - Angela Bischoff, Ontario Clean Air Alliance

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/06/03/electoral-rout-ontario-climate-hawks-look-to-next-steps-as-ford-surges-to-second-majority-government/

Scientists warn future temperatures will test humans' ability to survive

Unbearably hot temperatures are already testing the limits of human survival, and will continue to rise, challenging our bodies' ability to cope and making parts of the world increasingly uninhabitable.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/science/human-body-survive-heat-adaptation-1.6467410

EU to ‘Head Off Multiple Crises’ by Cutting Oil and Gas, Boosting Renewables

With the Trudeau government continuing to tout liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports to help Europe free itself from dependence on Russian supplies, a new report says the continent is poised to boost renewable energy and reduce fossil fuels to just 18% of its electricity production by 2030, with the biggest importers of Russian oil and gas leading the way.

https://www.theenergymix.com/2022/06/03/eu-to-head-off-multiple-crises-by-cutting-oil-and-gas-boosting-renewables/

Reactors in a war zone and potential health consequences

https://beyondnuclearinternational.org/2022/05/29/after-the-meltdown/

Should the war in Ukraine spur a nuclear security rethink?

The prospect of high-intensity combat for control of a nuclear facility? A nightmare, for Europe as a whole.

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20220526-should-the-war-in-ukraine-spur-a-nuclear-security-rethink

Carbon Pricing

This report by Green Economy Law comprehensively explains how carbon pricing functions in Canada.

https://www.greeneconomylaw.com/carbon-pricing

Your money is your carbon

If you’re banking with one of Canada’s “big six” banks—RBC, TD, Scotia, BMO, CIBC, National—you are inadvertently fuelling the climate crisis. For example, your money, left in these banks, is used for the financing of the Trans Mountain (TMX) pipeline expansion.

https://billmckibben.substack.com/p/your-money-is-your-carbon

Where should climate-concerned Canadians bank?

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/05/20/opinion/where-should-climate-concerned-canadians-bank

'Shut Down This War Machine': Peace Activists Block Entrances to Major Weapons Fair in Canada

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2022/06/01/shut-down-war-machine-peace-activists-block-entrances-major-weapons-fair-canada

_______________________

_______________________

Summer Book Club 2022

Standing on Guard for Whom? A People’s History of the Canadian Military - With author and activist Yves Engler

Thursday, July 28 & Thursday Aug. 18, 7:30 - 9 p.m. ET

Buy Yves’ excellent new book, read it and join us to discuss it. Moderated by Tamara Lorincz, Senior Researcher, NATO to Neutrality Working Group of Science for Peace. Organized by Science for Peace (SfP) and the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW)

https://www.scienceforpeace.org/

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Power: Insecure, Unsafe, Unsustainable – CND webinar

Mon. June 6, 2 p.m. ET

This webinar will look at the impact of nuclear power on the environment, health and security. It will explore how nuclear energy damages lives, communities and the environment, while also exploring the links between nuclear power and nuclear weapons. With speakers Dr. Ian Fairlie and Lorraine Rekmans.

https://cnduk.org/events/nuclear-power-insecure-unsafe-unsustainable/

_______________________

_______________________

After the Ontario election: Fighting austerity and privatization

Mon. June 6, 7 p.m. ET

The re-election of Doug Ford's Conservative government will see further massive attacks on healthcare and social services, the environment, the poor, public sector workers, and much more. Ford regained power with only 18% of eligible voters casting a ballot for the Tories. He has no mandate for future attacks on working people but he will use his victory to cement power for the bosses. It will be up to movements from the ground up to raise the alarm about the devastation caused by Ford's policies. How do we understand the election results, and how do we organize to build an effective and unified response to the policies Ford has unleashed?

https://www.facebook.com/events/685818519434775

_______________________

_______________________

30 Years Since Rio

Mon. June 6, 7 p.m. ET

We can hardly believe it’s been 30 years since the 1992 UN Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. To commemorate this historical event, reflect on the past 30 years and look ahead to the next 30, the David Suzuki Foundation is hosting this event featuring David Suzuki, Tara Cullis and Severn Cullis-Suzuki, along with special guests including Indigenous leaders, youth activists and artists.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_KvXUhFL1RJKgc_X4kQ31iQ

_______________________

_______________________

Canada Talks Electric Cars - Preparing Your Home for Bidirectional Charging

Tues. June 7, 7:30 p.m. ET

Last month we tackled the subject of bidirectional charging from the point of view of a Canadian Electrical Utility. This month, we shift our emphasis to the consumer side of things as we consider what this technology could mean for homeowners. What options will we have and what kind of equipment will be needed to take advantage of bidirectional energy transfer? These may still be early days for the technology, but we will do our best to examine the implications.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZwVnYOE3Rf6q-98LmRGliw

_______________________

_______________________

Cross-Country Strategy Meeting to Resist Trudeau's Plan to Buy F-35s & Increase Military Spending

Tues. June 7, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET

Join a cross-country call to strategize ways to stop the Trudeau government from buying F-35 fighter jets and increasing military spending. All welcome. Hosted by the Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW).

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87176622128?pwd=WjliZVlNbGtIOGYrYURXVVVRR1dRQT09

_______________________

_______________________

The City Island and Toronto Island Puzzle Tour Launch

Tues. June 7, 7 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs, 506 Bloor (at Bathurst), Toronto

The City Island is a feature documentary about the Toronto Islands, weaving its volatile political history and ongoing issues with flooding, with stories from its colourful residents. More than 600 residents and millions of annual visitors make Toronto Island one of the most vibrant and unique park lands in the world. Featuring director Elizabeth Littlejohn.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/films/city-island

Trailer: https://vimeo.com/464016471

_______________________

_______________________

Election Debrief and Discussion

Tues. June 7, 7 p.m. ET

Join the Reform Gravel Mining Coalition for an online meeting to discuss the results of the election and how it may shape the strategy to reform gravel mining in Ontario.

https://www.reformgravelmining.ca/rgmc_election_debrief_0607

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear Threats and International Law

Wed. June 8, 8 p.m. ET

Dr. John Burroughs as a Lawyer who specializes in treaty regimes, and international law relating to nuclear and non-conventional weapons. He is the Senior Analyst for Lawyers Committee on Nuclear Policy and the Director of the United Nations Office of the International Association of Lawyers Against Nuclear Arms. Hosted by International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86456938497

_______________________

_______________________

Clean Air Day: The Intersectionality Between Air, Health, and Climate Change

Wed. June 8, 1 - 2:30 p.m. ET

The goal of the event is to highlight the work of environmental NGOs presenting unique solutions to improve air quality and mitigate the effects of climate change in their region. Hosted by the Canadian Environmental Network.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/clean-air-day-the-intersectionality-between-air-health-climate-change-tickets-339430013307

_______________________

_______________________

Multisolving: A promising strategy toward just and equitable futures

Wed. June 8, 1 – 2 p.m. ET

The concept of Multisolving refers to the process of building solutions to multiple problems into a single act, whether that act is a policy intervention, a financial investment or simply a way of doing things. Join us for a conversation with Elizabeth Sawin, founder and director of the Multisolving Institute, to learn more about the potential adopting a Multisolving approach to build just and equitable futures.

https://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/webinar-multisolving

_______________________

_______________________

Beyond Gas: Organizing Kick-Off

Wed. June 8, 6 p.m. PT

Several enviro groups will lay out big plans to change the conversation about B.C.'s energy future and win the kind of climate action we can’t delay any further.

https://hub.dogwoodbc.ca/beyond_gas_organizing_kick_off

_______________________

_______________________

Transportation in a Time of Climate Crisis: Green Vehicles - and Green Freight

Wed. June 8, 4 p.m. PT

WE-CAN Climate Solutions Team explores the best policies and practices for transportation, and how to mobilize political action. We will look at electrification of vehicles and freight.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/transportation-in-a-climate-crisis-4-carsharing-evs-and-urban-freight-tickets-339975103687

_______________________

_______________________

E-Bike Webinar

Wed. June 8, 7 p.m. ET

We’ll learn how e-bikes work and explore the unique features of each of the following types: commuter, folding and cargo e-bikes. We’ll examine the benefits they offer to different groups of people and their potential to transform our transportation system. We’ll also hear from owners. Finally, we’ll learn about e-bike conversion kits and rental options. Lots of time will be reserved for questions and answers. Hosted by Harbord Village Residents Association.

https://bit.ly/ebikewebinar

_______________________

_______________________

Electrifying Canada: What Citizens Want and Need to Accept Change

Thur. June 9, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Electricity powered by renewable energy is a growing solution to climate change. Energy experts consistently project that Canada needs to at least double the size of our electricity system to power transportation, buildings and industry over the next couple of decades. While engineers, energy modelers and economists tell us what needs to be done, what citizens think, need and want is missing from Canada's electrification conversation. Join Dr. Louise Comeau, Director of Climate Change and Energy Solutions at the Conservation Council of New Brunswick, to hear the latest findings from national focus groups and survey research on what matters most when it comes to social acceptance of renewable energy and transmission projects.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_XZIONmlIRyakjyzc6_kaXg

_______________________

_______________________

Canada-Wide Strategy Call to Mobilize Against NATO

Thur. June 9, 7:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET

The Canadian Voice of Women for Peace (VOW) is hosting a Canada-wide call to strategize and mobilize against NATO. We are planning actions across the country from June 25-June 30 to protest the transatlantic alliance during the NATO Summit in Madrid. We call for Canada to withdraw from NATO and for the alliance to be abolished. Join us to plan solidarity actions!

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84325472589?pwd=MzBQTnZrUG1LTG9zclFTVk5EQXRpQT09

_______________________

_______________________

The TPNW (Treaty on the Prohibition for Nuclear Weapons) – What it means for YOU, For US

Thur. June 9, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

As world “leaders” make threats of and investments in nuclear weapons, the June 9 program will introduce and explore different aspects of the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons, a major new treaty at the United Nations that dozens of countries have ratified. We will explore and discuss the TPNW, and how it relates to our organizing for peace, justice, and disarmament.

http://masspeaceaction.org/event/the-tpnw-what-it-means-for-you-for-us/

_______________________

_______________________

Tkaronto Naked (optional) Bike Ride + Naked March + Nudist Picnic

Sat. June 11, 1 p.m. ET

Meet at Allan Gardens, Carlton and Sherbourne, Toronto

The World Naked Bike Ride is more than a simple fight for the right to be naked in public. Every dat we see the effects of climate change, war and poverty disproportionately harming, displacing and killing people of color. The Tkaronto Naked Bike Ride is a radical protest to confront colonial violence targeting the bodies of racialized, disabled, queer, trans, working class, sex worker, homeless and poor people's bodies. Note: Nudity is optional, bare as you're comfortable.

https://www.facebook.com/events/711198616869250/

_______________________

_______________________

Inspired By Our Past, Organizing for Our Future

Sun. June 12, noon - 4 p.m. ET

This day marks the 40th anniversary of the largest peace demonstration in US history where one million people marched from the UN, filled the streets of NYC, and rallied in Central Park to demand an end to the nuclear arms race.

https://www.june12legacy.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Defuse Nuclear War

Sun. June 12, 4 - 6:30 p.m. ET

With a focus on the current terrible dangers of nuclear war and the imperative of taking action to reduce them, the Defuse Nuclear War live stream will mark the 40th anniversary of when a million people gathered in Central Park for nuclear disarmament on June 12, 1982. Several dozen US peace, disarmament and social justice organizations are co-sponsoring this event which will feature a wide range of speakers.

https://masspeaceaction.org/event/defuse-nuclear-war/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/