Greenspiration News & Events: Planet in Focus

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Oct 11 08:38:13 EDT 2022

COP27: Stop Excluding Military Pollution from Climate Agreements - Petition

https://worldbeyondwar.org/cop27/

Toxic air pollution particles found in lungs and brains of unborn babies

Particles breathed by mothers pass to their vulnerable foetuses, with potentially lifelong consequences

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2022/oct/05/toxic-air-pollution-particles-found-in-lungs-and-brains-of-unborn-babies

What if the wind doesn’t blow!?

An 80 min. recording of a conversation with Stanford University Professor Mark Jacobson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNuIwYikgsw

How did Canada lose $30 billion to corporations?

Send a message to Federal Ministers asking for an investigation on how corporations managed to double their corporate tax avoidance just since 2019, costing Canadians $30 B.

https://www.taxfairness.ca/en/act/take-action/how-did-canada-lose-30-billion-corporations

------

UKRAINE

"The way out of the conflict is when Russia leaves the territory of Ukraine. This is the way out of the conflict." - Prime Minister of Finland Sanna Marin

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1578355066297520129

Ukrainian Nobel Peace Prize Winner: “What We Need Today Is Weapons”

Oleksandra Matviichuk, who heads Ukraine’s Center for Civil Liberties, was just awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. “This war is not between two countries, but between two systems: between authoritarianism and democracy.”

https://theintercept.com/2022/10/07/nobel-peace-prize-ukraine-war-crimes/

Zaporizhzhia on the brink: How deteriorating conditions at the nuclear power plant could lead to disaster

https://thebulletin.org/2022/10/zaporizhzhia-on-the-brink-how-deteriorating-conditions-at-the-nuclear-power-plant-could-lead-to-disaster/

Ukraine’s Zaporizhzia’s nuclear plant ‘needs urgent protection’ as last power supply cut

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-zaporizhzia-nuclear-plant-russia-b2198409.html

-------

Municipal Elections throughout Ontario Oct. 24

Vote! Municipal governments can do a lot! They can buy electric buses, build bike lanes, help us replace polluting furnaces with electric heat pumps, build parks and lobby for Greenbelt preservation. If you’re concerned about Ontario’s failure to tackle the climate emergency, I urge you to vote for local officials who will make climate a top priority. Advance voting is open till Oct. 14.

Toronto Election 2022 Candidate Tracker

See who’s voting and where, and what their platforms are.

https://thelocal.to/candidate-tracker/

MyVote - find out where and when you can vote

https://myvote.toronto.ca/home

Municipal Candidates' Climate Pledge

OCEC (Ontario Climate Emergency Coalition) has asked candidates around Ontario to sign a Climate Pledge. See the list of candidates that have endorsed it. Please print and ask your riding candidates if they will sign it.

https://www.ontarioclimateemergency.ca/candidate-pledge

Progress Toronto is supporting Progressive Champions for City Council and the Toronto District School Board in key races across Toronto. See their choices here.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/progressive-champions-2022

A Constituents’ Guide to Park People’s Parks Platform

https://parkpeople.ca/blog/a-constituents-guide-to-park-peoples-parks-platform

Affordable (& Accessible) Housing Pledge

Toronto: https://right2housingto.ca/the-affordable-housing-pledge/

Candidates in other municipalities: http://shorturl.at/KSUZ3

Greener City For All Pledge

Have your candidates committed to key climate and environmental actions? Hosted by Toronto Environmental Alliance.

https://election.torontoenvironment.org/pledge_results

Ontario Clean Air Alliance asked candidates in Pickering and Ajax if they supported safer nuclear waste storage at Pickering Nuclear Station and immediate dismantling after shutdown. Read the responses here:

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/pickering-and-ajax-candidates/

Cycle Toronto are calling on candidates in Toronto’s 2022 municipal election to commit to making our city safer, healthier, more equitable, and sustainable by prioritizing complete streets and road safety by pledging to take 10 Priority Actions.

https://safeandactivestreets.cycleto.ca/priority_actions

------

Online Short Courses on Radiation, Biology and Society with Gender + Radiation Impact Project and Beyond Nuclear

https://www.genderandradiation.org/classes

Petition - Keep the TALL Bonnie Burstow Antipsychiatry Library at OISE

https://chng.it/NGwPFMx2PN

Protect Public Health Care in Ontario

Send a message to Premier Ford and Minister Jones to solve the healthcare crisis

https://act.leadnow.ca/hlthcr-ett/

_______________________

_______________________

EVENTS

Hope Matters: Why Changing the Way We Think is Critical to Solving the Environmental Crisis

Tues. Oct. 11, 10 a.m. ET

Elin Kelsey PhD is an award-winning author and thought leader for the evidence-based hope and climate solutions movement. She is an Adjunct Faculty member of the University of Victoria School of Environmental Studies, and Western Washington University’s partnership in the Redfish School of Change. Elin is committed to building a solutions-oriented paradigm for educating environmental scientists and social scientists.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MlMHZJKeQheIliIY98UHSA

_______________________

_______________________

An Evening with Toronto's Mayors

Tues. Oct. 11, 7:39 p.m. ET

Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave, University of Toronto

Toronto will soon be governed under a new “Strong Mayor” System. New Provincial Legislation strengthens more than the powers for the next Mayor; it also realigns the role of city councillors and presents new challenges for residents. In advance of the municipal election on October 24, the University of Toronto’s School of Cities, in partnership with CBC Toronto, will host five former Toronto Mayors to discuss this new political system and what it means for our city and its residents.

https://www.schoolofcities.utoronto.ca/events/evening-torontos-mayors

_______________________

_______________________

Young Climate Voices on the Global Stage: Amplifying Local Knowledge

Wed. Oct. 12, 1 - 2 p.m. ET

Join in the countdown to COP27 and COP15 – to explore how youth in Canada can adapt climate action, knowledge sharing and advocacy efforts from local/national to global. We will unpack topics such as adapting messaging, maintaining momentum and having a positive impact on international platforms.

https://events.tamarackcommunity.ca/young-climate-voices

_______________________

_______________________

Why is Canada Pension Fund Risking our Funds and our Future?

Tues. Oct. 4, noon PT Vancouver

Wed. Oct. 5, Calgary

Thur. Oct. 6, London ON

Oct. 12, Regina

Oct. 13, Winnipeg

Nov. 1, Virtual meeting

The Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPP Investments, or CPPIB) is hosting ten public meetings across Canada. This opportunity for Canadians to engage with CPPIB managers to ensure our $523-trillion national pension fund is invested in a safe climate future only comes around every two years. Join Canadians from coast to coast to attend one or more CPPIB 2022 public meetings and make sure the climate crisis is a priority issue for our national pension fund – not investments in oil, gas, coal and pipelines. Learn more, see sample questions, submit your climate questions, register here.

https://mailchi.mp/shiftaction/cpp-public-meetings-2022?e=56af79e9e1

_______________________

_______________________

Feeding the City: Film Screening and Panel Discussion

Thur. Oct. 13, 3 p.m. ET

149 College St, U of Toronto

Set in Glasgow, Scotland, Feeding the City explores how food systems can be built to address social and ecological issues by having the primary aims of empowering communities and replenishing ecosystems. The film screening will be followed by a panel discussion featuring the filmmaker, Zev Robinson and others.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/feeding-the-city-film-screening-and-panel-discussion-tickets-428860081047

_______________________

_______________________

Is Canada a Peacemaker?

Thur. Oct. 13, 7 p.m. ET

Featuring Yves Engler and Tamara Lorincz.

https://youtu.be/qXK-wShTnPs

_______________________

_______________________

The Tenth NPT Review Conference: Assessment and Looking Forward to 2026

Thur. Oct. 13, 10 a.m. ET

The Multilateral Dialogue of the Konrad-Adenauer-Foundation in Vienna, together with Atomic Reporters, invites you to an online discussion on The Tenth Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT) Review Conference: Assessment and Looking Forward to 2026.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_6A1SD4aLSXqdMtwPXYipuQ?timezone_id=America%2FNew_York

_______________________

_______________________

Planet in Focus - International Environmental Film Festival

Oct. 13 - 23

Planet in Focus is an environmental media arts organization that showcases engaging and artistic films that question, explore and tell stories about the world in which we live. Films can be seen in theatres in Toronto during the festival OR virtually.

https://planetinfocus.org/2022-festival/

_______________________

_______________________

Pedal for Peace - Montreal

Sat. Oct. 15, 11 a.m. ET

Meet at Vendome metro station at 11 am and pedal to Pole des Rapides in LaSalle where we will share a picnic lunch.

Members and friends of the Montréal for a World BEYOND War chapter will be pedalling 22km to raise money for World BEYOND War, which supports activists like us all over the world as we organize, learn and take action together, for peace.

https://worldbeyondwar.org/pedal-for-peace-this-october-in-montreal/

_______________________

_______________________

#FundPeaceNotWar Week of Action

October 15 - 23

Join us in demanding NO new fighter jets, warships, or drones! We need billions for housing, health care, jobs and climate, NOT for war profiteering!

https://peaceandjusticenetwork.ca/fundpeacenotwar/

_______________________

_______________________

Prices Are Rising, As Is Racism

Sunday, October 16

At Cabinet Minister's offices across Canada - find one: https://migrantrights.ca/events/oct16/

In Toronto meet at noon, 430 Parliament Street: https://actionnetwork.org/events/action-at-minister-marci-iens-office

Food prices are up at least 11%. But workers - mostly migrants - that plant, tend, harvest, package, and deliver the food aren’t the ones succeeding. Grocery store owners’ profits doubled in 2021 over 2020; and continue to rise. Call Prime Minister Trudeau and your Member of Parliament today, and tell them to regularize all undocumented people and ensure permanent residents status for all migrants without delay. Hosted by Migrant Rights Network.

_______________________

_______________________

Invisible Demons

Sun. Oct. 16, 3 p.m. ET, Paradise Theatre, 1006 Bloor, Toronto

Invisible Demons delivers a visceral and immersive journey through the stories of just a few of Delhi''s 30 million inhabitants fighting to survive.

https://www.goelevent.com/planetinfocus/e/InvisibleDemons

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/