Greenspiration News & Events: no miracles needed

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jan 30 00:39:48 EST 2023

‘No miracles needed’: Prof Mark Jacobson on how wind, sun and water can power the world

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jan/23/no-miracles-needed-prof-mark-jacobson-on-how-wind-sun-and-water-can-power-the-world

World's largest wind & solar energy grid shows the future of the planet 12 min. video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=990jeweut_o

The Doomsday Clock reveals how close we are to total annihilation

The Doomsday Clock - by the Bulletin of Atomic Scientists - has been ticking for 76 years. On Tuesday, the clock was set at 90 seconds until midnight — the closest to the hour it has ever been. Midnight represents the moment at which we will have made Earth uninhabitable for humanity. The decision to move the clock 10 seconds forward this year is largely due to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the increased risk of nuclear escalation.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/24/world/doomsday-clock-2023-climate-scn/index.html

Why the world needs Ukrainian victory

https://snyder.substack.com/p/why-the-world-needs-ukrainian-victory

I am Ukrainian Short films of translated interviews with victims of war in Ukraine

https://www.youtube.com/@iamukrainian8664/featured

Al Gore on climate change, Davos, Jan. 23, 2023 5 min. video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfv7sIL2uK0

The carbon bomb makers — Canada versus the world

Canadians remain the climate rogues of the planet, digging up seven times the CO2 of the current global average.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/01/23/analysis/carbon-bomb-makers-canada-versus-our-peers

It’s Time to Break Up with Our Gas Stoves 21 min. video, humor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2aZUav-54

How Ontario Can Avoid New Gas Plants and Lower Electricity Costs

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/01/Avoid-New-Gas-Plants-INTERACTIVE-jan-16-copy.pdf

Put a stop to Ontario's destructive plan for new gas plants

Please send Prime Minister Trudeau, Environment and Climate Change Minister Guilbeault, and coalition partner NDP leader Jagmeet Singh a message about the need to use strong Clean Electricity Regulations to prevent new gas plants.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/open-letters-to-prime-minister-trudeau-and-jagmeet-singh/

Bill 23 - Attack on the Greenbelt

56 min. video recording of a webinar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ujJ6BIEl4

Tell Toronto City Hall: Fund the TTC with a Commercial Parking Levy

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/fund_ttc_parking_2023budget

_______________________

_______________________

Phone Bank for Our City: Budget Edition

Mon. Jan. 30 - 6pm ET

Presenters: Progress Toronto Organizers Donovan Hayden and Francis Tersigni

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/winter-training-series-jan-30-2023

_______________________

_______________________

Q&A Session: Toward Co-operative Commonwealth MOOC (Open Online Course)

Mon. Jan. 30, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m. ET

Learn more about this free course held from Jan. 29 - June 2. All modules relate to food system transformation. This will lead to actions focused on policy reform and innovations needed to make food systems more climate adaptive, regenerative and aligned with human rights. The Q&A session is for anyone interested in registering for this free course and joining our study groups centred around food system transformation.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/qa-session-toward-co-operative-commonwealth-mooc-open-online-course-tickets-524054269427

_______________________

_______________________

The End of This World: online book launch

Tues. Jan. 31, 7 p.m. ET

The climate crisis is here, and the end of this world—a world built on land theft, resource extraction, and colonial genocide—is on the horizon. The authors of the newly released book The End of This World: Climate Justice in So-Called Canada (pre-order the book here) envision a near future where oil and gas stay in the ground; where a caring economy provides social supports for all; where wealth is redistributed from the bloated billionaire class; and where stolen land is rightfully reclaimed under the jurisdiction and sovereignty of Indigenous Peoples. Join us for an online discussion with all six book authors.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Z8vJBd4wTamGbSuOyG6pPw

_______________________

_______________________

They Paved Paradise: Transforming Minimum Parking Requirements

Tues. Jan. 31, 3 - 4 p.m. ET

Creating one required parking spot can add 10% to 15% to overall development costs. Policy makers and advocates are looking at a new solution: transforming minimum parking requirements. Guest speakers with experience transforming parking minimums in cities across North America.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/they-paved-paradise-transforming-minimum-parking-requirements-tickets-515312061247

_______________________

_______________________

Emergency Meeting to Fight Back Against the Privatization of our Public Hospitals

Tues. Jan 31, 7 p.m. ET

Please join this emergency online meeting as we plan to mount a major and urgent fightback against Ford's initiative to privatize our public hospitals. Hosted by Ontario Health Coalition.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZApd-upqDksG9PtSt5qAbsgMDZ3VnVAY6Zd

_______________________

_______________________

Frack Free BC Organizing Call

Tues. Jan 31, 5:30 p.m. PT

Frack Free BC is a new, broad-based alliance of organizations and individuals working to end fracking in B.C. Come to our inaugural monthly organizing call for an introduction to the campaign and learn how you can get involved! Join each month to meet fellow activists from communities across the province and learn about upcoming action opportunities. Frack Free BC is made up of allied organizations including NGOs, Indigenous partners, grassroots organizations, community groups, and individuals who are organizing their communities to end fracking in BC.

https://stand-earth.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYlduiqqzwuHtR_c_z9LIrjL8d-0st8l7Gs

_______________________

_______________________

Compassionate Curiosity for Climate Action

Tues. Jan. 31, 7 p.m. ET

This training will teach participants how using compassionate curiosity, gentle assertiveness and active listening in climate conversations can build meaningful relationships. These skills can then be used for deep canvassing or other one-on-one conversations! This workshop was developed and will be facilitated by Neighbours United, a community organization who has developed the 1st deep canvassing program in Canada.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZclcOypqzgoHd1uyxHLFtfXoRXRJ_OP4tPc

_______________________

_______________________

Net Zero, Low Carbon and the Toronto Green Standards

Tues. Jan 31, 11 a.m. ET

All new buildings are to be net zero operational carbon with a 40% reduction in embodied carbon by 2030. But what can we do NOW to get there?

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_iyB2TdyOTi2HQ56WYBM31w

_______________________

_______________________

What Can a Ground Source Heat Pump Do for You?

Wed. Feb. 1, 7 p.m. ET

We'll look at the huge financial and emissions benefits of ground-source heat pump systems, and we'll explain how the technology works. Hosted by the Ontario Clean Air Alliance.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/what-can-a-ground-source-heat-pump-do-for-you-tickets-516971013217

_______________________

_______________________

Faith Perspectives on Ecological Justice and Conservation

Thur. Feb. 2, 1 - 2 p.m. ET

Join us at the beginning of World Interfaith Harmony Week, for a conversation with Canadian faith-based ecological and climate justice professionals who will introduce their work and explore how to expand their efforts and connect with others.

https://www.sustainabilitynetwork.ca/events/faith-perspectives-on-ecological-justice-and-conservation

_______________________

_______________________

Stop the T.O. Transit Cuts: Day of Action

Thur. Feb. 2

Can you join a team of TTCriders volunteers to hand out flyers at a TTC stop to help transit users to take action? We will bring the flyers, you just need to show up!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16EP6VLXLe0FbC3C4RZm1YCeqtz-aTDZBfyqXDsEzqy4/viewform?edit_requested=true

Tell Mayor Tory to fund lower fares and better TTC service, not policing

https://www.ttcriders.ca/budget2023

_______________________

_______________________

The Great Escape: Saket Soni and Naomi Klein In Conversation

Thur. Feb. 2, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. ET

Join Saket Soni and Naomi Klein for a launch event for The Great Escape: A True Story of Forced Labor and Immigrant Dreams in America. The Great Escape reveals the government and corporate corruption fueling a hidden struggle at the intersection of climate change, racial justice, and immigration.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-great-escape-saket-soni-and-naomi-klein-in-conversation-tickets-523151148167

_______________________

_______________________

Kids and Youth Making Communities Safer: Imagining A World Without Police

Sat. Feb. 4, 2 p.m. ET

Kids and youth in Grade 4 and up are invited to be part of a facilitated arts workshop where we can imagine another world together. Kids will get creative and make art that reflects how they would spend Toronto’s budget. The art that kids create will form part of a zine that we’ll share with politicians and other people who decide what Toronto’s money gets spent on.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZErd-GqrzMoEt1RtuFcxHvQGvzND3uFkTvo

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Justice Illustrated: Take Action!

Sun. Feb. 5, 4:30 - 6 p.m. ET

What do you get when you combine activism with art, and human rights with climate justice? We think it’s a recipe for powerful climate action! Art can reach many people about the climate crisis in ways news and reports cannot. Free online workshop on activism and art.

https://amnesty.ca/what-you-can-do/events/#event=75551104

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/