Greenspiration News & Events: Yes in our backyards

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon May 8 10:19:20 EDT 2023

Yes in Our Backyards

It’s time progressives like me learned to love the green building and renewable energy boom.

https://www.motherjones.com/environment/2023/04/yimby-nimby-progressives-clean-energy-infrastructure-housing-development-wind-solar-bill-mckibben/

Say yes to Great Lakes Wind Power: Now is the Time

Great Lakes wind power has the potential to meet more than 100% of Ontario’s current electricity needs at a cost that is 40% lower than the cost of new nuclear reactors. Offshore wind power projects can also be built in a fraction of the time that it takes to build nuclear reactors. It's time to lift the moratorium on off shore wind power in the Great Lakes.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/great-lakes-wind-power-is-ontarios-clean-energy-goldmine/

Say yes to affordable, secure, 100% renewable power by 2035

Send a letter to the PM in support of ambitious Clean Electricity Regulations in Canada that will ensure 100% zero-emissions, affordable, reliable electricity by 2035.

https://davidsuzuki.org/action/say-yes-to-affordable-secure-renewable-power/

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/open-letters-to-prime-minister-trudeau-and-jagmeet-singh/

Put a stop to Ontario's destructive plan for new gas plants!

We need the federal government to implement strong Clean Electricity Regulations that will stop the construction of new gas plants and phase-out existing ones by 2030.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/open-letters-to-prime-minister-trudeau-and-jagmeet-singh/

10 First Nations sue Ontario and Canada over resource extraction and broken Treaty 9 promises

Arguing that resource extraction has violated Indigenous jurisdiction for over a century, the case could stall the Ontario government’s plans to mine the Ring of Fire

https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-treaty-9-lawsuit/

New York to Require Public Power Provider to Source 100% Clean Electricity by 2030

The move boosts renewable energy and could give the public more control over their energy.

https://www.ecowatch.com/new-york-public-power-provider-clean-electricity.html

Sweden To Open World’s First Permanently Electrified Road For EV Charging On The Move In 2025

With plans to electrify over 1,800 miles of highway, Sweden leads the way with the world's first permanently electrified road

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/05/sweden-will-open-the-worlds-first-permanently-electrified-road-though-they-havent-decided-which-tech-itll-use/

Oxford Expert Tackles 20 Myths About Heat Pumps

https://www.theenergymix.com/2023/04/30/oxford-expert-tackles-20-myths-about-heat-pumps

Ocean Warming Study So Distressing, Some Scientists Didn't Even Want to Talk About It

In March, researchers examining the ocean off the east coast of North America found that the water's surface was 13.8°C hotter than the average temperature between 1981 and 2011.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/ocean-warming-study

What does inflation and central banks have to do with the climate crisis?

Central banks have the power to create money, and climate activists need to understand why, if they are to campaign for change. Video recording with Guy Dauncey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUFh8WHBoP0

The Invention of ‘Jaywalking’

In the 1920s, the public hated cars. So the auto industry fought back — with language. They convinced the public that if you got run over by a car, it was your fault.

https://marker.medium.com/the-invention-of-jaywalking-afd48f994c05

How Paris is Taking Back its Streets from Cars

Mayor Anne Hidalgo is waging "a war on cars." And she's winning.

- Between 2020 and 2021, cycling traffic in Paris grew by 70%.

- Since Paris started this broader project about two decades ago, car ownership has fallen from 60% to 35%.

- And all of this has helped Paris cut its carbon emissions by about 20% over that same period.

https://www.distilled.earth/p/how-paris-is-taking-back-its-streets

Send an Email to Toronto City Council in support of a car-free High Park

On May 10-12, City Council will meet to vote on the future of High Park.

https://actionnetwork.org/letters/email-city-council-in-support-of-a-car-free-high-park

Petition: https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/sign-the-petition-to-make-high-park-car-free

_______________________

_______________________

Five Good Ideas for building a sustainable and resilient collaboration

Mon. May 8. 1 p.m. ET

It can be hard sustaining a collaboration because tackling community issues together creates challenges to partnership and momentum. But you can set up a collaboration for success. Focus on four areas—people, resources, process, and impact—and the factors that determine their quality, like leadership, funding, community engagement, and the ability to influence policy and systems that lead to collective change. When things do get hard (and they will), the collaboration’s resilience will be proven by its overall health and well-being, as well as its ability to adapt, shift, and change.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_7OGAPdePSOSc8Lm7-uuanA

_______________________

_______________________

Forward together for jobs, justice and climate

Monday May 8, 1-2 p.m. ET

Livestreamed

Hear stories of solidarity – and how to build it to address the crises we’re facing – from your friendly neighbourhood labour and environmental organizers.

https://canadians.org/justtransition/#events

_______________________

_______________________

Secret Life of the City: How Nature Thrives in the Urban Wild

Tuesday, May 9, noon - 1 p.m. ET

Online and in person

Hanna's book, Secret Life of the City invites us to pay more attention to the sounds, sights, and smells of urban nature right outside our door. And a call to save our city plants, animals, and fungi before we lose them, too.

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/tpl-secret-life-hanna-bjorgaas

_______________________

_______________________

Mineral Extraction, Renewable Energy and the Climate Emergency

Wed. May 10, 7 p.m. ET

Jamie Kneen, from MiningWatch Canada, will address the impact of mineral extraction on humans and the larger natural world as we transition from fossil fuels to renewables.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZEvcuGgpj4tHNQi5MwejHf8Sxeil-ntB5MG#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

The Climate Emergency Unit: Strategies for Effective Climate Action

With Seth Klein

Thursday May 11, 6:30 p.m. ET

We are facing a climate emergency. It’s time we learned the lessons of WWII, and COVID-19, and mobilized to bring about “radical systemic change.” All the machinery of government, the news media, educational institutions, and the public must be focused on the crucial “national task” confronting us.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAldOyhrDMvGtdmg59jf6hqFXn3DrXS8qAh#/registration

More from The Climate Emergency Unit:

4 Hopeful Lessons from WW2 to confront Climate Change (6 min.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUJw5cLyfEk&t=20s

Canada Needs a Youth Climate Corps (2 min.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVctqrJuzTM&t=3s

The 6 Markers of the Climate Emergency

https://www.climateemergencyunit.ca/emergencymarkersframework

_______________________

_______________________

The State of Climate Policy and Politics Across Canada

Thur. May 11, 11 a.m. ET

Climate Talk Canada presents a panel reflecting on the impacts of Professor Macdonald's scholarly work and environmental advocacy.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-douglas-macdonald-memorial-event-tickets-585800032667

_______________________

_______________________

It's Happening Now: Climate change, social policy, and changing the future

Thur. May 11, 7 p.m. ET

In person in Ottawa and online

As climate change continues to impact how we plan for our futures, what are the innovations and ideas breaking new ground today that will make tomorrow better? A range of speakers will share innovations currently under way that will make a difference in urban and environmental policy and planning, technology, journalism, and more. Hosted by The Walrus.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-walrus-talks-its-happening-now-tickets-588295566877?aff=TheWalrusRegistration

_______________________

_______________________

Movements vs. money: Building a common front to take on the climate profiteers

Thursday, May 11, 5:30 - 6 p.m. ET

Livestreamed

The climate crisis is changing the way we live and work, but who caused the crisis and who’s paying for it? How can we ensure the government funds a truly just transition that addresses the needs of workers and communities instead of lining the pockets of wealthy CEOs?

https://canadians.org/justtransition/#events

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/