Greenspiration News & Events: Igniting Action

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 12 10:18:26 EDT 2023

Kakhovka dam collapse raises concerns about Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant safety

“The destruction of the Kakhovka dam is an ecological disaster that will have serious environmental and humanitarian consequences for years to come. This has made the already precarious situation at the Zaporizhzhia nuclear plant far worse and it raises the chances of a radioactive release which would add a terrible new dimension to the horrors already being experienced."

https://cnduk.org/kakhovka-dam-collapse-raises-concerns-about-zaporizhzhia-nuclear-plant-safety/

How to help Ukrainians during the flood

This is no ordinary calamity. Support the extraordinary people on the scene.

https://snyder.substack.com/p/how-to-help-ukrainians-during-the

Canada’s wildfires are part of our new climate reality

Canada’s ongoing wildfire season is a harbinger of our climate future. Fires are burning in nearly every province and territory in Canada.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jun/07/canadas-wildfires-new-climate-reality-experts-officials-say?CMP=share_btn_link

Fires intensify in Canada, could last 'all summer'

Nearly 17,800 square miles have burned since the beginning of the year, well above previous averages as the country warms quicker than the rest of the world amid climate change.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/environment/article/2023/06/10/fires-intensify-in-canada-could-last-all-summer_6030816_114.html

Climate Crisis Is on Track to Push One-Third of Humanity Out of Its Most Livable Environment

As conditions that best support life shift toward the poles, more than 600 million people are already living outside of a crucial “climate niche,” facing more extreme heat, rising food scarcity and higher death rates.

https://www.propublica.org/article/climate-crisis-niche-migration-environment-population

While EVs won’t solve all the problems associated with car use – from traffic congestion through to our increasingly sedentary lifestyles – they are an essential part of tackling the climate emergency.

EVs already cut planet-warming emissions by two-thirds on a life cycle basis relative to combustion engine cars – and the benefits are growing.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/08/fact-check-why-rowan-atkinson-is-wrong-about-electric-vehicles

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/07/petrol-diesel-engines-technology-electric-cars

Europe’s richest country made public transport free: Could other countries do the same?

https://www.euronews.com/green/2023/06/07/europes-richest-country-made-public-transport-free-could-other-countries-do-the-same

Can Nuclear Help Meet US Climate Goals (no)

Brilliant 90 min. panel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyRH6cbnkOI

Say No to more gas in Ontario

Please send a letter to Premier Ford, Energy Minister Todd Smith and your MPP here: tell them that you don’t support their dangerous plans to build new gas plants and ramp up greenhouse gas pollution by 700% by 2043. Please ask them to invest in the cleanest and lowest cost options to keep our lights on, namely, energy efficiency, demand response, wind, solar and waterpower.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/new-gas/

Where do Candidates for Toronto Mayor Stand on Key Environmental Issues?

Platform analysis by the Toronto Environmental Alliance

https://election.torontoenvironment.org/where_do_candidates_stand_key_environmental_issues

People with disabilities are urging mayoral candidates to commit to take action on the dire lack of accessible housing in Toronto.

Download the Pledge and ask candidates to sign.

https://www.accessiblehousingnetwork.org/_files/ugd/bf8caa_5b21d23f84364be8b9a847587940200a.pdf

Toronto Cliimate Action Network Mayoral Pledge Campaign

https://2023torontomayor.climatefast.ca/

2023 T.O. By-Election for Mayor: Advance Vote Locations

Mon. and Tues, June 12 and 13, 10 a.m. - 7 p.m. ET

https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/elections/by-election/by-election-advance-voting-locations/

https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/elections/by-election/by-election-voter-information/myvote-by-elections/

I was thrilled to vote in advance (no line ups!) for Olivia Chow.

https://www.oliviachow.ca/

_______________________

_______________________

Anybody Home: How to solve Toronto's Housing Crisis?

Mon. June 12, 1 p.m. ET

Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave., U of T

Online and in person

Housing affordability: No issue will define the next mayoralty more than the deepening challenge of housing affordability. From attainable market ownership and rental to affordable housing and basic human shelter, the role of the next Mayor of Toronto will play a pivotal role in aligning the city’s resources and programs with allies across the region, the Provincial and Federal governments.

https://schoolofcities.utoronto.ca/event/a-mayoral-debate-anybody-home-how-to-solve-torontos-housing-crisis/

_______________________

_______________________

Get on the Bus: Empowering Youth with Free Transit

MON. June 12, 1 p.m. ET

This webinar will bring together voices from across Canada to launch a national youth transit movement, Get on the Bus, and explore how innovative approaches to empowering youth through public transit benefits youth, the environment and the community.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2isnTbWMSPuAHSZzKRnMpw#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Nuclear novelist Philippa Holloway

Mon. June 12, 2:30 p.m. ET

Join Vicki Lesley, director & producer of the recent nuclear history documentary 'The Atom: A Love Affair' for an evening of stimulating conversation with author Philippa Holloway about nuclear power and those whose lives are touched by it. Philippa will read from her new novel The Half Life of Snails and discuss her experience of researching and writing it, including growing up as a teenager in north Wales and field work on the ground in the Chernobyl exclusion zone in Ukraine.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/nuclear-novelist-philippa-holloway-in-conversation-with-vicki-lesley-tickets-631628025427

_______________________

_______________________

Women4ClimateTO Celebration Event

Mon. June 12, 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm ET

Toronto City Hall, Members' Lounge (Queen and Bay)

Join us in celebrating Toronto's emerging female climate leaders! The City of Toronto, and local presenting sponsor EY Canada, are pleased to be hosting an event to recognize participants of the 2023 Women4ClimateTO Mentorship Program, and announce the winners of this year's Women4ClimateTO Pitch Competition. Learn how these women and their climate-focused ventures are moving Toronto closer to reaching its net zero goals.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/women4climateto-celebration-event-tickets-648590681187

_______________________

_______________________

Rooftop Solar: What You Need to Know

Mon. June 12, 7 - 8:30 pm ET

Learn about the resources and challenges of adding solar energy systems to the roof of your home or business. To meet the City’s Transform TO goal of having 50% of community-wide energy with renewable or low-carbon sources by 2030, the Solar TO program was developed. This presentation will give an overview of the services offered to residents via the Solar TO program, including the SolarTO Map, an interactive online mapping tool which enables residents and businesses to quickly estimate the rooftop solar potential of their buildings.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/rooftop-solar-what-you-need-to-know-tickets-638074707627

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Day of Action - with TEA

Tues. June 13, 7 am - 7 pm

Join the Labour Council, Toronto Environmental Alliance, and labour and environmental groups from across the city to deliver flyers at transit stops, encouraging people to vote for climate and the environment in the upcoming mayoral by-election. We've all seen and felt the forest fire smoke. We know that this is a vital time for our city to take climate action. Please sign up for a shift on June 13th.

https://forms.gle/6Ld5cTYYK1CSky3s6

https://www.labourcouncil.ca/doa_june13th2023

_______________________

_______________________

Unethical Oil: Alberta's secret shame

Tues. June 13, 7 p.m. ET

>From unfunded liabilities to a captured energy regulator, there's a great deal to be very concerned about. There is now approximately $300 B of unfunded environmental liabilities (eg. abandoned wells, 37 tar sands tailings ponds with no plan to reclaim them), and almost no security posted against those liabilities. Alberta is on the precipice of an environmental and financial catastrophe that the rest of Canada may eventually have to pay for. With Canadian journalist Markham Hislop

https://www.facebook.com/events/1304364853758697/

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAvduysqDMjG9yrFbgUV3AW42H45acMajyM#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Honouring Elder Vern Harper and the Native People's Caravan

Tues. June 13, 7 p.m. ET

June is National Indigenous History Month in Canada, a time to recognize the rich history, heritage, resilience and diversity of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

https://us14.campaign-archive.com/?e=__test_email__&u=cb0de9aa4a38f36fb428ef618&id=44e754843b

_______________________

_______________________

Igniting Action & Challenging the Status Quo

Tues. June 13, 11 a.m. ET

Our mission is to ignite action and challenge the status quo to create healthier, more equitable, and sustainable cities for all people. How? Doable. Everywhere. Guests: Amanda O’Rourke, executive director, and Gil Penalosa, founder and chair of 8-80

Cities.

https://bit.ly/3UBJKGt

_______________________

_______________________

Say NO to expanded gas plant in Toronto - Stop the burning

Wed. June 14, 1 p.m.

Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay), at the large TORONTO sign by the pond

A motion will go before Toronto City Council calling on the federal government to block the expansion of Toronto’s polluting gas plant near Cherry beach. Come out and show your support. Bring your home fire extinguisher – let’s put out Ford’s fires!

For more info, angela at cleanairalliance.org

_______________________

_______________________

Regularization Assembly: Act Now before Parliament Rises

Wed. June 14, 7 p.m. ET

Hear from undocumented leaders and migrant organizations from across Canada about our fight for regularization and to take action before Parliament goes on holiday on June 23rd. This powerful assembly will bring together migrant leaders who are fighting deportation, who are refusing to be exploited and who are building a powerful migrant-led movement from all corners of the country.

https://migrantrights.ca/take-action/june14/

_______________________

_______________________

Virtual Roundtables on Poverty and Human Rights

Join Campaign 2000, Citizens for Public Justice and Canada Without Poverty for a three-part virtual roundtable series on poverty and human rights. In 2015, Canada committed to the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). These goals are part of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, a global call to action to achieve social, economic and environmental prosperity. Enshrined in the 2030 Agenda is a commitment “to realize human rights for all,” including economic, social and cultural rights. Register for all three or attend when you can.

Roundtable 1: Connecting lived expertise to public policy: meaningful engagement as a means to advancing human rights

Wednesday, June 14, 12 - 2 pm|

Roundtable 2: Holding government to account: legal and policy levers for ending poverty

Thursday, June 15, 12 - 2 pm

Roundtable 3: Poverty-free communities are possible: strengthening the national anti-poverty movement

Friday, June 16, 12 - 2 pm

https://tinyurl.com/2p8vuxvz

_______________________

_______________________

Talking About the Mayoral Election with Friends and Family

Thur. June 15, 5:30 p.m. ET

Join campaigner, organizer, and storyteller, Amara Possian, for an in-person workshop on how to have productive and engaging conversations about the election and politics with friends and family. Learn how you can approach political discussions with loved ones, feel confident in working through questions, and equip yourself with tips and tricks for gatherings.

https://www.progresstoronto.ca/election-training-series-jun-15-2023

_______________________

_______________________

Tritium - with Dr Ian Fairlie

Thur. June 15, 2 p.m. ET

Interested in knowing about radioactive tritium? Tritium is a carcinogen, mutagen, and teratogen. It is released routinely from all nuclear plants, but especially all of Canada's CANDU nuclear reactors which produce more radioactive tritium than all other reactors worldwide. Tritium is dangerous because it can enter every cell in our bodies - it is not merely dissolved in water, it IS water. Learn more with Britian's Dr. Ian Fairlie, affectionately known as Dr. Tritium.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZIof-6rrz8oG9SpuWith4qY_tE3O_UVlrBD#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Honouring Indigenous Climate Leadership: A roundtable discussion showcasing Indigenous-led research and policy responding to climate change

Thur. June 15, 1 p.m. ET

To amplify and centre Indigenous voices at the cutting-edge of climate research and policy, the Canadian Climate Institute, in partnership with the Centre for Indigenous Environmental Resources, will host a roundtable discussion with the authors of three new case studies in our Indigenous Perspectives series. These case studies showcase the work of Indigenous researchers, Knowledge Holders, water protectors, and community members.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_ZtJSPADZRZuBB-S1YQM84w#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Jaivet Ealom's Journey to Freedom

Thur. June 15, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

Rohingya student Jaivet Ealom’s attempt to flee Myanmar and become a refugee in another country turned into an agonizing tale of survival. Held in immigration detention for four years, on a notorious island prison, he made a daring escape and finally found sanctuary in Canada – arriving in Toronto in 2017 with $45 to his name. It is a testament to his courage and perseverance that, this fall, he expects to graduate from U of T with a Bachelor of Arts degree. Hear Jaivet Ealom speak about his experience as a refugee, the challenges of being a newcomer in Canada, how he created a new life for himself here, and what’s next in his inspiring story.

https://alumni.utoronto.ca/events-and-programs/jaivet-ealoms-journey-freedom

_______________________

_______________________

Might the Ukraine Conflict Spark a Nuclear War?

Thur. June 15, 5 p.m. ET

Many analysts have expressed concern that the Ukraine war could escalate to a nuclear exchange, especially if Russia faces military defeat. How probable is this outcome, and how may the risk of such an eventuality be minimized?

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/might-the-ukraine-conflict-spark-a-nuclear-war-tickets-639473581697

_______________________

_______________________

Faith and A Treaty for Climate Justice

Thur. June 15, 3 p.m. ET

The Parliament of the World's Religions is partnering with the Fossil Fuels Non-Proliferation Treaty and GreenFaith for this webinar on climate justice.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZctf-GsqzgtGtEsKFzrfo9Wu5mmEiWC1_i1#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Creating a Global Renewable Energy Commons

Thur. June 15, 2 p.m. ET

Today, with the climate and biodiversity crises reaching new levels of urgency, the need to transition out of an unsustainable energy system is clearer than ever. Yet simple, top-down approaches to a green energy transition have serious risks: of perpetuating old harms, leaving current energy communities and workforces behind, transferring zones of extraction from fossil fuels to critical earth minerals, and further ratcheting existing geopolitical tensions. Unifying “thinking globally” and “acting locally,” these diverse approaches affirm community interdependence, global cooperation and right livelihood.

https://centerforneweconomics.org/events/creating-a-global-renewable-energy-commons/

_______________________

_______________________

Hell & Highwater: Documentary Film Screening & Discussion

Fri. June 16, 7 - 9 p.m. ET

In-person AND virtual attendance options

In-person at the United Steelworkers Hall at 25 Cecil Street, Tkaronto

Join Greenpeace for a special screening of "Hell & Highwater", a short documentary by Canadian filmmaker Jeremy Williams. “Hell and Highwater”,  tells the heartbreaking story of the Nlakaʼpamux Nation communities of Lytton and Shackan as they experience the traumatic loss of their homes through fire and flooding. The people in the film cry out for justice, accountability, and the need for systems change. They remind us of the importance of indigenous wisdom and of respecting the laws of Mother Earth.

Online registration: https://greenpeace.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_7MVa4fRSRw-r12nMMk_adQ

In-person rsvp: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfPOylBE2QK3oxblx_o_nThOGg4NLGVrnJ3uxgF-ceIBlBU3A/viewform

_______________________

_______________________

Take the Dream and Make it Real a Summer Solstice Ritual

Fri. June 16, 9 p.m. ET

Join us in ritual to celebrate the 30th year anniversary of Starhawk's revolutionary book: The Fifth Sacred Thing.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/take-the-dream-and-make-it-real-a-summer-solstice-ritual-and-fundraiser-tickets-643893692367

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/