Greenspiration News & Events: Velorution!

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jun 19 10:52:38 EDT 2023

All signals flashing red

Fires are still raging across the country but already they’re slipping from the headlines. And the legacy media is even less interested in the alarm signals flashing all at once around the globe. Rising ocean heat. Declining sea ice. Global temperatures spike. “People who look at this stuff routinely can’t believe their eyes. Something very weird is happening.”

https://mailchi.mp/2dddcef89d8b/8rtm2jyh8n?e=02591b0337

The dam has burst: How Russia’s war on Ukraine could make ecocide an international crime

For many decades, proponents have failed to secure the adoption of ecocide as a crime. The circumstances of Russia’s war on Ukraine create momentum for a breakthrough

https://ecfr.eu/article/the-dam-has-burst-how-russias-war-on-ukraine-could-make-ecocide-an-international-crime/

“Loss After Loss After Loss”: Dam Destruction in Ukraine

Human Rights Watch writes about how Russian Authorities fail to provide evacuation or aid to civilians after blowing up the dam

https://www.hrw.org/news/2023/06/14/loss-after-loss-after-loss-dam-destruction-ukraine

Greta Thunberg: not phasing out fossil fuels is ‘death sentence’ for world’s poor

Climate activist says only ‘rapid and equitable’ phaseout will keep temperatures within 1.5C limit

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jun/13/greta-thunberg-not-phasing-out-fossil-fuels-is-death-sentence-for-worlds-poor

Nuclear Talking Points

Nuclear power has no place among climate solutions. Indeed, choosing to stick with existing nuclear plants – and building new ones – actually makes climate change worse. This set of talking points sets out a definitive case for renewables over nuclear.

https://beyondnuclearinternational.org/beyond-nuclear-talking/

There’s simply no business case for any baseload plants anymore

We are moving inexorably towards a system where solar dominates the day, wind produces when it’s available (which, thankfully, is highly complementary to the solar profile), and flexible power sources (hydro, storage) make up the rest. There's simply no space left for new (or even, soon, old) nuclear

https://jeromeaparis.substack.com/p/the-duck-in-the-room-the-end-of-baseload

Viva la Velorution

The word ‘vélorution’ is now in the Larousse dictionary. It refers to activism that promotes cycling as an alternative form of transport

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/advocacy/the-word-velorution-is-now-in-the-larousse-dictionary/

The Ford government is sitting on $22.6 billion of so-called “excess funds” – money stashed away from the public purse that they have no plan to spend any time soon – while cutting funding to public services. Send a message to Finance Minister Bethlenfalvy and Premier Ford here.

https://you.leadnow.ca/petitions/invest-in-ontarians

Ana Bailão's voting record while Deputy Mayor was BAD!

>From housing to transit, she voted on the wrong side, voting with Tory 92% of the time. Her campaign is run by conservative operative Nick Kouvalis who has worked for Rob Ford, John Tory, and Andrew Scheer. See her history of crappy voting here.

https://www.bailaobrokeit.ca/

Olivia Chow needs our support!

Volunteer, donate $$ (get 75% back), tell your friends to vote

https://www.oliviachow.ca/

Toronto says NO to gas – AGAIN

Tell the feds to stop Ontario's Gas Madness - send your message here:

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/toronto-says-no-to-gas-again/

_______________________

_______________________

Road to Net Zero: A climate guide for Canada's corporate leaders

Mon. June 19, 12:15 - 4:30 p.m. ET

Net-zero declarations are proliferating across the Canadian economy. But beyond the end goal, what do these commitments mean for businesses at a practical level, and how are leaders pairing action with their pledges? From accurate data to strategic planning to ESG reporting, net-zero is one of the most complex missions facing business leaders today. Gather strategies and tactics from top executive leaders and experts.

https://globeandmailevents.com/roadtonetzero/GlobeEmail

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Justice Through Indigenous Activism

Mon. June 19, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m. ET

Toronto Reference Library, Beeton Hall, (Bloor and Yonge)

The climate crisis is here, and the end of this world - a world built on land theft, resource extraction, and colonial genocide is on the horizon. The authors of the newly released book "The End of This World: Climate Justice in So-Called Canada" envision a near future where oil and gas stay in the ground; where a caring economy provides social supports for all; where wealth is redistributed from the bloated billionaire class; and where stolen land is rightfully reclaimed under the jurisdiction and sovereignty of Indigenous Peoples.

https://btlbooks.com/events/view/climate-justice-through-indigenous-activism

_______________________

_______________________

Action at Toronto City Hall

Tues. June 20, 12 noon ET

Queen and Bay

Join us for a SCAN! Theatre and Demo at City Hall –– to let Toronto Mayoral Candidates know that we want action on climate. The event will highlight two futures options as we face the climate emergency: a bleak die-in followed by a more optimistic piece of street theatre. Add your voice to the chanting in the street theatre –– the more voices we have, the better it will be. Hosted by SCAN! - Seniors for Climate Action Now!

_______________________

_______________________

Riders Decide Transit Forum

Tues. June 20, 6 pm ET

Cecil Community Centre, 58 Cecil St. (near Spadina and College), Toronto

Join other transit riders to learn about the transit plans of Mayoral candidates and debate and discuss together. No candidates present - just community.

https://www.ttcriders.ca/riders_decide

_______________________

_______________________

Climate Tic TALK Circle

Tues. June 20, 7 - 8:30 p.m. ET

Free peer-to-peer emotional support for people working in service to climate safety. No prep, no advice, come as you are. ​Join our online climate feelings circle to build personal resilience and share visions of our sustainable future. Online mtngs happen monthly.

https://www.kadycowan.com/climatetictalk.html

_______________________

_______________________

Parents for a Youth Climate Corps with special guest: Raffi

Tues. June 20, 7 p.m. ET

Are you a parent who lies awake at night, worrying about the world your children will inherit? Would you like to know more about a transformative new public program focused on access to good, green jobs for youth? Join us for an uplifting and ambitious session about our vision for a national Youth Climate Corps.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUod-mgrD4tGtCr-2GusYf-D-fkS09k3aCS#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Summit: fightback to stop the Ford government from privatizing our public hospitals

Tues. June 20, 6 pm ET

Zoom (virtual meeting online)

You are invited to a special "summit" meeting of all our members and supporters to plan next steps in the fightback to stop the Ford government from privatizing our public hospitals. Hosted by the Ontario Health Coalition.

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMofu-grTIrGtCYR0U5DhidseMCPxZPeRc8#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

The Future of Transportation in Toronto: E-vehicles, Workers Rights, and Public Safety

Wed. June 21, 7 - 8:30 pm ETs

Roundtable Discussion with Dr. Dianne Saxe, Dr. Ryan Phillips, and Brice Sopher.

T.O. City Councillor Dianne Saxe recently put forward a motion at Toronto City Hall that would require licenses/plates for gig workers who rely on personal e-vehicles (e-bikes, e-scooters, etc.). However, experts and stakeholders have raised concerns that this proposed policy would unfairly target and further marginalize gig workers (particularly racialized workers), dissuade Torontonians from choosing more sustainable methods of transportation, and increase costs of living for many residents. There are also questions as to whether the policy is enforceable in practice, duplicative of existing by-laws, or if it could realistically be expected to achieve the desired outcomes regarding public safety. Join us for a roundtable discussion on the future of e-vehicles in Toronto.

https://torontomu.zoom.us/j/94790688364

_______________________

_______________________

National Indigenous Peoples Day

Wed. June 21

National Indigenous Peoples Day takes place on the summer solstice, June 21. It’s a special occasion to learn more about the rich and diverse cultures, voices, experiences and histories of First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples. Find an event near you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/list-events.html

_______________________

_______________________

Off the Hill: Truth before reconciliation

Wed. June 21, 7:30 pm ET

What is causing the slow-moving action on the 94 Calls to Action from the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada? What can Landback look like across Turtle Island? And are we any closer to true reconciliation? Join Rabble.ca and guests as we tackle these questions and more.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_wh1NLdKuTQ2TlyswlMZ22Q#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Pollinators in the Park: What's the Buzz about Bees?

Wed. June 21, 4:40 - 5:30 p.m.

Dufferin Grove Park, 875 Dufferin (south of Bloor), Toronto

Learn why native bees are so important to a healthy planet and have fun with some family friendly interactive activities!

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/pollinators-in-the-park-whats-the-buzz-about-bees-tickets-643693503597

_______________________

_______________________

Sustainable Agriculture: Lessons from the 1930s-on, to inform a 2023 Strategy and Partnership

Wed. June 21, 1:30 ET

Orange skies & choking smoke expose Canada’s vulnerabilities. Climate chaos threatens food security, floods, droughts, & desertification. This spring, the Gov't of Canada announced a Sustainable Agriculture Partnership, but regenerative organic agricultural practices are absent, & gene-edited seeds could undermine our organic sector. There are signs of subversion of “sustainable” in the agricultural sector. Farm organizations want better policies & agricultural extension. We must increase carbon storage, preserve & restore biodiversity, foster seed diversity, and reform pesticide regulation to feed Canada in a hotter world. With Dr. Meg Sears, scientist and chair of the non-profit organization Prevent Cancer Now.

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83168349500?pwd=T1pNRDI4VGdWbnc4WC9wQmRmQi9wZz09

_______________________

_______________________

Tenant School

Thur. June 22, 7 p.m. - Introduction to Landlord and Tenant Law

Mon. June 26, 7 p.m. - Getting Repairs Done

Tues. June 27, 7 p.m. - Working with your Neighbours and Starting a Tenant Association

Wed. June 28, 7 p.m. - Working with Government

Hosted by the Federation of Metro Tenants' Associations

https://www.torontotenants.org/tenant_school_summer_2023

_______________________

_______________________

Pride Toronto - Happy Pride!

Fri. June 23, 7 p.m. Trans March starting at Church and Hayden

Sat. Jun 24, 1 p.m. Dyke March starting at Church and Hayden

Sun. June 25, 2 p.m. Pride March starting at Church and Bloor

https://www.pridetoronto.com/

_______________________

_______________________

Mayoral By-Election Day in Toronto

A second chance to create a more liveable city for all

Mon. June 26, 10 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET

https://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/municipal_election_resources

https://www.toronto.ca/city-government/elections/by-election/by-election-voter-information/myvote-by-elections/

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/