Greenspiration News & Events: Winning the information war

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Nov 6 10:09:04 EST 2023

How to kill the clean energy transition

Alberta is following Ontario's playbook: Sharpening knives that will be plunged into the backs of renewable energy workers, landowners & diversified energy companies in the province

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/11/06/opinion/how-kill-clean-energy-transition

Caught in a Canadian carbon tax loop

The debate has become fixated on carbon taxes instead of carbon emissions.

https://mailchi.mp/nationalobserver/whfnucw9dr

A cap on oil and gas industry pollution is Canada’s best shot at tackling rising emissions

Right now, elected leaders are deciding the details. This is a make-or-break moment for climate action in Canada. Add your voice.

https://cappollutioncards.ca/

Montreal Joins Growing Wave of Cities Banning Gas

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/10/27/news/montreal-joins-growing-wave-cities-banning-natural-gas

Efficiency of Electrification Will Slash Energy Demand by 40%

https://www.theenergymix.com/2023/11/02/efficiency-of-electrification-will-slash-energy-demand-says-sustainability-expert/

A windfall tax on Big Oil could haul in $4.2 billion for Canadians

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/10/27/news/windfall-tax-big-oil-could-haul-42-billion-canadians

‘Energy independent’ Uruguay runs on 100% renewables

To get off volatile imported oil, gas and uranium, the country ran a series of clean power auctions (competitive market), offering developers 20-year contracts to sell electricity into the national grid at guaranteed rates. Power production costs declined by almost half while creating 50,000 new jobs — 3% of the labour force. Uruguay has become a net exporter of renewable electricity.

https://theprogressplaybook.com/2023/10/19/energy-independent-uruguay-runs-on-100-renewables-for-four-straight-months/

How much public funding will new nuclear reactors require?

https://preview.mailerlite.io/emails/webview/664455/103600429962626869

Bad guys and bombs: The nuclear risks of small modular reactors

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/11/03/news/bad-guys-bombs-nuclear-risks-small-modular-reactors

Shocking Photos of Extreme Weather Around the World in 2023 So Far

It's already clear: climate change is happening here and now.

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/photos-extreme-weather-events-2023-climate-change/

10 Things to Watch, Listen to, and Read to Escape Climate Doomism

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/climate-change-hope-ecoanxiety-read-watch-listen/

Ukrainian Letter of Solidarity with Palestinian people

https://links.org.au/ukrainian-letter-solidarity-palestinian-people

2023 White Poppy Campaign

White poppies were started in the UK in 1933 by women who had lost husbands, fathers, sons, brothers and friends in World War One, to send the message 'Never Again' about war.

https://www.ppu.org.uk/remembrance/white-poppies-frequently-asked-questions

_______________________

_______________________

John Vaillant: Our New Fire Weather

Wed. Nov. 8, 9:30 p.m. ET

Fire has changed communities across Canada this year. After the most devastating wildfire season in recorded history, many are wondering how these fires got so big, what we can learn from our current responses, and whether we are prepared for an ever warming future. John Vaillant’s book Fire Weather has become a de-facto guide on the new dangers posed by these fires supercharged by a warming planet. He’ll discuss his findings on the Fort McMurray fire of 2016, to help us understand what’s at stake for our cities, towns, and ecosystems.

https://www.crowdcast.io/c/bclibraries-nov8

_______________________

_______________________

Just Transition Guide Community Launch

Wed. Nov. 8, 3:30 - 5 ET

Join Sacred Earth Solar and Indigenous Climate Action for a virtual event to celebrate the launch of our Just Transition Guide. Learn about climate solutions that can be implemented in your community and hear from other Indigenous communities leading the way in the transition away from fossil fuels.

https://www.indigenousclimateaction.com/events/just-transition-guide-virtual-community-launch

_______________________

_______________________

Creating Space and Healing Climate Emotions for Planetary Health

Wed. Nov. 8, noon ET

As we continue to see communities and health systems across Canada being affected by climate change, many individuals including health care workers are dealing with feelings of grief, depression, anxiety and hopelessness as it relates to our environment. As climate change-related impacts increase we are seeing the instances of these feelings intensify and rightfully so. Join the Canadian Coalition for Green Health Care and PEACH Health Ontario to discuss how we can help individuals express these feelings to transform them into planetary healing.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_za5LPjTzQmyqGCqH_6QDsQ#/registration

_______________________

_______________________

Noise: How Much is Too Much?

Wed. Nov. 8, 6:30 p.m. ET

Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Ave, U of Toronto

The City of Toronto's Noise Bylaws are being reviewed right now and will be finalized in mid December. The last review was 19 years ago so let's not waste this opportunity to learn more about how to make Toronto a better city. Join us for film screening and a panel discussion moderated by Ingrid Buday, Founder of No More Noise Toronto.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/noise-how-much-is-too-much-tickets-736925031607

_______________________

_______________________

A Deeper Dive into Revenue Tools

Thur. Nov. 9, noon ET

Toronto City Council has passed a new long-term financial plan, which includes the adoption of, or commitment to review, a host of new revenue tools. With a focus on equity for communities in need, this panel will do a deeper dive into revenue tools and progressive tax options for municipalities.

https://www.socialplanningtoronto.org/a_deeper_dive_into_revenue_tools

_______________________

_______________________

Building Momentum Toward Net Zero

Thur. Nov. 9, 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. ET

Online conference.

Canada’s preeminent annual climate change conference co-hosted by the Canadian Climate Institute and the Net-Zero Advisory Body featuring keynote speakers and moderated panels with national and international climate policy experts. They will delve into timely climate-related topics that will explore Canada’s journey toward net zero, with a focus on what’s working well and what we need to do to keep on track.

https://climateinstitute.ca/events/building-momentum-toward-net-zero/

_______________________

_______________________

Left Loud: Winning The Information War

Thur. Nov. 9, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

We know that between the oil lobby greenwashing, the Conservatives using the carbon tax for political points, and the Canada Proud/6ixbuzz disinfo operation, we're getting creamed online. Let's fight back and win.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FYI5_l5yasisJgeAmsz8OBgh0VbHYEu3ZxNfFj_IXgU/edit

_______________________

_______________________

'Kristallnacht' and the Anti-Semitism of Adolf Hitler: On the Interaction of Malicious Intentions and Unplanned Circumstances

Thur. Nov. 9, 7 - 8:30 pm ET

The play of circumstances as they afforded opportunities for Hitler to fulfill his malicious intentions toward the Jews interacted with his quest for total power. Whether at home or abroad, harming the Jews was the key to achieving Hitler’s ambitions to create a racially pure Europe under German control.

https://www.brandeis.edu/cges/news-events/fall-2023/231109-michaelbryant.html

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/