Greenspiration News & Events: COP28 is a wrap

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Dec 18 10:48:10 EST 2023

Transition Out of Fossil Fuels, Dawn of Renewables as COP28 Concludes in Dubai

https://www.theenergymix.com/change-in-tone-has-cop-decision-moving-in-right-direction-as-negotiators-work-overnight/

COP28: Key outcomes agreed at the UN climate talks in Dubai

https://www.carbonbrief.org/cop28-key-outcomes-agreed-at-the-un-climate-talks-in-dubai/

100 Hours of Climate News Set the Agenda for 2024

The COP28 climate summit delivered the best result it could. It was progress. It wasn’t nearly enough. Now—again, still—it’s up to the rest of us.

https://energymixweekender.substack.com/p/100-hours-of-climate-news-set-the

The 12-year-old who Halted COP28

https://heated.world/p/the-12-year-old-who-halted-cop28

The Federal Liberal Government used COP 28 to announce two important emission reduction policies

While still only in draft form, these policies will play a major role in whether Canada meets its Paris Agreement pledges of 40 to 45% reductions in GHG emissions by 2030 and net zero by 2050:

1) a framework to cap greenhouse gas pollution from the oil and gas industry, and

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/news/2023/12/canada-introduces-framework-to-cap-greenhouse-gas-pollution-from-oil-and-gas-sector.html

2) draft methane regulations to support cleaner energy and climate action.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment-climate-change/news/2023/12/minister-guilbeault-announces-canadas-draft-methane-regulations-to-support-cleaner-energy-and-climate-action.html

The oily backroom campaign to sink the federal emissions cap

The framework is “literally a licence to pollute until it is too late” - MP Monique Pauzé

Green Party Leader Elizabeth May called the framework “a major victory for Canada's oil and gas lobbyists."

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/12/13/news/oily-campaign-sink-federal-emissions-cap

Nuclear expert on the COP28 pledge to triple nuclear energy production: ‘Trumpism enters energy policy’

This extended interview with Mycle Schneider, and his latest data-driven global survey, vanquishes the myth that nuclear power can help solve the global climate crisis.

https://thebulletin.org/2023/12/nuclear-expert-mycle-schneider-on-the-cop28-pledge-to-triple-nuclear-energy-production-trumpism-enters-energy-policy/

Petition opposing a permanent nuke waste dump at Chalk River, Ontario to the Gov't of Canada

https://www.ourcommons.ca/petitions/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-4676

Fukushima: Japan’s Triple Threat in Spades

https://www.counterpunch.org/2023/12/15/fukushima-japans-triple-threat-in-spades/

Alberta, Sask. Governments Isolate Themselves as Off-Fossil Transition Begins

“The transition is happening, but the fact that we recognize it in the text sends the signal to companies and investors and countries around the world that this is where the world is heading.”

https://www.theenergymix.com/alberta-sask-governments-isolate-themselves-as-off-fossil-transition-begins-guilbeault/

The scariest climate graph in the world

One particular graph encapsulates the gravity of our current climate trajectory more starkly than any other

https://www.theclimatebrink.com/p/the-scariest-climate-plot-in-theCOP28 and the nuclear energy numbers racket

https://thebulletin.org/2023/12/the-nuclear-energy-numbers-racket/

Greenwashing Big Oil & Gas: The Fossil Fuel Deception Playbook

Part 1: https://cape.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Greenwashing-Toolkit-Part-1.pdf

Part 2: https://cape.ca/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/Greenwashing-Toolkit-Part-2.pdf

A dangerous fuel threatens to undermine the world’s renewable energy promises - forest biomass (wood pellets)

With devastating impacts on communities, biodiversity and the global climate, the growing forest biomass industry could turn clean energy dreams into nightmarish destruction.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/12/09/opinion/dangerous-fuel-threatens-undermine-renewable-energy-promises

Nature protection targets to become law

The federal government’s pledge to protect a third of Canada’s land and water by 2030 -- 30 by 30 -- will be put into legislation next year, says federal Environment and Climate Change Minister Steven Guilbeault. “Canada is one of the first countries in the world to announce its intent to enshrine nature and biodiversity commitments into law."

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2023/12/12/news/nature-protection-targets-become-law

Climate Defiance

We do direct action. We are young. We are livid. We are no longer willing to be disposable.

https://www.instagram.com/climatedefiance/

https://www.climatedefiance.org/

Municipalities should require heat pumps for new housing

We have an opportunity to reduce emissions, ensure greater housing affordability, build resilience to climate change and improve our local air quality

https://www.thespec.com/opinion/contributors/municipalities-should-require-heat-pumps-for-new-housing/article_d59fb4ff-6510-5996-baee-044a678fb22d.html

Halton Hills says no to a big new gas plant, and yes to renewables and conservation

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/halton-hills-says-no-to-a-big-new-gas-plant/

Romana’s Reign

Romana Didulo, the self-proclaimed Queen of Canada, is unlike almost any other cult leader Canada has ever seen. 40 min. podcast.

https://www.canadaland.com/podcast/cults-9-romanas-reign/

It’s been a big week for climate action!

Since 1997, the Ontario Clean Air Alliance has tenaciously fought for climate action and clean air. Help us continue to build momentum by making a year-end charitable donation.

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/climateweek/

______________________

______________________

Self and Collective Care: A Learning Circle on Holistic Approaches to Sustaining Activism

Wed. Dec. 20, 7 p.m. ET

Join us for this discussion-based, guided learning circle on how to integrate better practices of care into your organizing relationships, groups and spaces. You'll leave with new ideas and practices about how best to weave meaningful practices of care into your social change work.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZErcO-prDkoHtYPooHSA_j-_D5H5JE9DaGQ#/registration

______________________

______________________

Off the Hill: Reviewing a year of crisis

Wed. Dec. 20, 7:30 p.m. ET

Don’t miss Rabble.ca's final Off the Hill discussion of 2023, as we look back on some of the top stories of 2023 – and speculate about the year ahead. Guests include MP Leah Gazan, president of the Canadian Union of Public Employees' Ontario School Boards Council of Unions (OSBCU) Laura Walton, economist Jim Stanford, rabble’s parliamentary reporter Karl Nerenberg. Hosted by Libby Davies.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_xBz8mdRCSyCnwVS-VTNXkQ#/registration

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/