Greenspiration News & Events: This is the year

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Jan 22 11:24:59 EST 2024

This is the Year We’ve Been Training For

It’s make or break time for climate action. With elections coming up in more than 50 countries this year and climate on the ballot, will the results speed up carbon cuts or bring new obstacles?

https://energymixweekender.substack.com/p/this-is-the-year-weve-been-training

Prairie premiers weaponizing winter

https://mailchi.mp/nationalobserver/i3lrinx8o1?e=02591b0337

How 16 Tipping Points Could Push Our Entire Planet Into Crisis - 2 min. video

https://www.weforum.org/videos/how-16-tipping-points-could-push-our-entire-planet-into-crisis/

The State of the Forest in Canada - Seeing Through the Spin

This NGO report states evidence that the actual state of the forests is far more complex and worrisome, and the logging industry far less sustainable, than the government claims.

https://www.stateoftheforest.ca/

Why Conservatives Turned Against the Environment

They’re busy making accusations of “eco-radicalism” while the world burns. It wasn’t always like that.

https://thewalrus.ca/why-conservatives-turned-against-the-environment/

The shady gas lobby determined to block climate solutions like heat pumps

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/01/15/news/shady-group-determined-block-our-climate-solutions

Cap and cut oil and gas emissions for a livable climate

https://davidsuzuki.org/action/cap-and-cut-oil-and-gas-emissions/

What Alberta Premier Danielle Smith Gets Wrong About Heat Pumps

Smith’s latest attack on Canada’s carbon tax laws includes a misleading argument about heat pumps.

https://www.desmog.com/2024/01/16/what-alberta-premier-danielle-smith-gets-wrong-about-heat-pumps/

Millions of Canadians get their carbon tax rebates today. So why do many not believe it?

Lack of communication, vague bank statements, unfiled taxes contribute to confusion

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/carbon-tax-rebate-perceptions-believe-it-or-not-1.7079782

Negative Myths About Renewable Energy Debunked

https://www.reckon.news/news/2024/01/wind-turbines-will-save-the-lives-of-birds.html

To Extract or Not to Extract Plutonium

Reprocessing nuclear waste to extract plutonium and fabricate it into new reactor fuel is a longstanding nuclear industry dream. But plutonium is also the main ingredient in nuclear weapons.

https://www.peacemagazine.org/archive/?id=3003

A million tons of radioactive waste next to the Ottawa River? You Must Be Kidding

https://www.sierraclub.ca/radioactive-waste-ottawa-river/

StopNuclearWaste.com - protect the Kitchi Sibi (Ottawa River)

The Algonquins of Kebaowek, Kitigan Zibi and Barriere Lake First Nations are dedicated to protecting our sacred lands, preserving our culture, and defending the environment against the Canadian Nuclear Laboratories' Near Surface Disposal Facility (NSDF) project.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/algonquins-first-nations-against-the-nsdf-project

Ending Greener Homes GRANTS?

https://act.newmode.net/action/energuide-service-organizations-canada/act-now-0

Support a Canadian environmental justice law

The National Strategy Respecting Environmental Racism and Environmental Justice Act would require the federal government to establish a national strategy to assess, prevent and address environmental racism and advance environmental justice. Join us in calling on the Senate to pass Bill C-226.

https://davidsuzuki.org/action/support-a-canadian-environmental-justice-law/

Ontario’s new interest in renewable energy may be a mirage

Ontario’s current plan to secure 5,000 megawatts of renewable power has a couple of fundamental flaws.

https://www.thespec.com/opinion/contributors/ontario-s-new-interest-in-renewable-energy-may-be-a-mirage/article_3fda63e2-85bf-52bc-b936-470d2ae6edbf.html

Ontario takes baby steps on renewable energy instead of a big leap

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/ontario-takes-baby-steps/

Send your letter: https://www.cleanairalliance.org/triple/

Ontario plans to increase some renewables but too little too slow

https://thepointer.com/article/2024-01-21/ontario-switches-gears-plans-to-double-renewable-energy-production-by-2035-transition-still-too-slow

Ford’s Christmas gift to Enbridge Gas - end subsidies for polluting gas

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/fords-gift-to-enbridge/

Send your letter: https://www.cleanairalliance.org/oeb/

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/01/18/news/ford-government-vow-override-energy-ruling-housing-expensive

Ontario Power Generation should build an energy system based on renewable technologies rather than importing nuclear reactors from an unreliable French utility

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/01/18/opinion/ontario-power-generation-wasting-time-exploring-french-reactors

Toronto’s 2024 budget holds steady on climate and environment funding, but we can’t risk further delays

Toronto's 2024 budget analysis by the Toronto Environmental Alliance

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/2024_budget_review_on_environment_funding

Tell your MP Toronto needs climate action funding

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/budget_action_2024

______________________

______________________

EVENTS

How to use Freedom of Information requests for Climate Justice

Tues. Jan. 23, 7 p.m. ET

Join Change Course and investigative journalist Tim Groves in learning about research tools that can advance climate justice on your campus and beyond.

What is a freedom of information (FOI) request? How does an FOI work in a campaign context? How can we use research tools to bolster our campaigns for climate justice?

https://actionnetwork.org/events/learn-how-to-use-freedom-of-information-requests-to-advance-climate-justice

______________________

______________________

Can We Still Make Public Places for Everyone?

Tues. Jan 23, 11 a.m. ET

Carol Coletta is CEO of Memphis River Parks Partnership, leading the relaunch of a non-profit to develop, manage and program six miles of riverfront and five park districts along the Mississippi.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_2OV5JDvaR2G4SCSt_a0kmQ#/registration

______________________

______________________

Strategies for Successful Delivery of Affordable Housing

Wed. Jan 24, 10 a.m. ET

Join us for an informative webinar covering different methods of delivering affordable housing. While affordability remains a major challenge for cities to tackle, some several platforms and strategies make a real difference. Learn what other cities are doing: Vienna, Portland, Charlotte.

https://smartdensity.com/our-urban-design-roundtables-2/

______________________

______________________

Facing Climate Change from a Haudenosaunee Point of View

Thur. Jan. 25, 7 p.m. ET

A webinar with Rick Hill - indigenous historian, artist and educator.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwpdO2qrjwoGdEoBCR1h40VN4WYznAB3gr3#/registration

______________________

______________________

Counter Disinformation about Renewable Energy

Thur. Jan. 25, 3 - 3:45 p.m. ET

Join members of the 350 Canada team for a short, high-energy Zoom call where we'll take action together to counter disinformation about renewable energy.

https://act.350.org/signup/action-call-j25/

At Thursday's call, we’ll use our new online tool and templates to submit letters to the editors of newspapers and magazines near you. We’ll show you how to use your personal story and experience to make a compelling case for the bold climate action we need.

https://showthefeds.ca/lte/

______________________

______________________

Wannabe Toxic Free 2024: Awareness, Agency, and Collective Action

Fri. Jan. 26

2 - 5 p.m.ET  - Systemic Injustices of Toxics: on environmental toxics, gender, racialization & sex.

5 - 8 p.m. ET - Exposure Prevention In-Practice: Holistic care, corporeal citizenship, & conscious connection to self & planet

Trinity College, Seely Hall, 6 Hoskin Ave, U of Toronto

This event will inspire an embodied awareness of our health as an integral part of our environment through art and science, and will cultivate an understanding of the social injustices of environmental degradation and the systemic legal and political changes necessary for a better future.

https://www.zeffy.com/en-CA/ticketing/16467a6c-2d56-471b-9587-7da27f7845b0

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/