Greenspiration News & Events: From the oil age to the electricity age

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Mar 4 14:11:32 EST 2024

The End of the Oil Age

The 21st century will almost certainly be the Electricity Age. Renewables are better, and they are cheaper.

https://cleantechnica.com/2024/02/28/opinion-the-end-of-the-oil-age/

‘Revolutionary’: EU Parliament votes to criminalise most serious cases of ecosystem destruction

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/02/27/revolutionary-eu-criminalises-the-most-serious-cases-of-ecosystem-destruction

Ukraine’s green fightback: Wind farms, solar schools and counting the cost of ‘destroying nature’

https://www.euronews.com/green/2024/02/24/ukraines-green-fightback-wind-farms-solar-schools-and-counting-the-cost-of-destroying-natu

Two Years of War in Ukraine: An Urgent Call to Rethink Energy for Peace and Climate

Fossil fuel companies are muscling in to profit from the war and jeopardizing better and cleaner alternatives. By Svitlana Romanko (Founder and director, Razom We Stand)

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vSYx7tNGwbLqwyeYSBsANJ2QRO0L52zXmWIRlPOrD7OkGMgXwt5uRSJeJbzL57BREg3evLDzYYEH6mh/pub

Reality Check: Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) Is Not a “Cleaner” Alternative Fuel

https://rmi.org/reality-check-us-natural-gas-is-not-a-cleaner-alternative-fuel

Rural and Remote Communities Climate Organizing Toolkit

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u0q0k1MFNVCnt_-F0w6aiVfnOVdPbgZ3/view

Uncontrolled Texas Wildfires Shut Down Nuclear Weapons Plant

https://www.commondreams.org/news/texas-wildfire

Climate-Fueled Extreme Weather Costs US Nearly $100 Billion a Year: Study

https://www.commondreams.org/news/climate-change-cost-u-s-yearly

Alberta's Premier Danielle Smith’s wind and solar double standard

Danielle Smith’s United Conservative Party is sacrificing the province’s clean energy future in order to protect its dirty energy past.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/02/29/opinion/danielle-smiths-wind-and-solar-double-standard

Chemical Valley report shows dangerous impact of pollution

Approx. 40% of Canada’s chemical industry is clustered near Sarnia, Ontario, in an area known as Chemical Valley. People live there. Increased cancer rates as simply the cost of doing business.

https://ecojustice.ca/news/chemical-valley-report-shows-dangerous-impact-of-pollution/

Decolonizing energy and the nuclear narrative of small modular reactors

Kebaowek First Nation is calling for an alternative to a planned SMR nuclear project, one that won’t undermine proper consultation and leave a toxic legacy.

https://policyoptions.irpp.org/magazines/february-2022/decolonizing-energy-and-the-nuclear-narrative-of-small-modular-reactors/

What we know about the Liberal-NDP pharmacare deal so far

This is a big win for those fighting for public, universal pharmacare, but a fragile one - by Council of Canadians

https://canadians.org/analysis/what-we-know-about-the-liberal-ndp-pharmacare-deal-so-far/

How Paris found space for bike lanes in their clogged city - 14 min. video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=f2xAzyQQDHk&fbclid=IwAR0YTPVNzLIbbg31IyEnqsJak-N6T4iy0qIKHNHcdINGUiycCuDq_ENoYSQ

Finding optimism in the fight against climate change

CBC interview with Rebecca Solnit, Chris Turner and John Vaillant

Transcript: https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent/tuesday-october-24-2023-full-transcript-1.7006850

Recording: https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-63-the-current/clip/16018019-aid-trickles-gaza-two-israeli-hostages-released-finding

Everything you need to know about how Ontario’s Get It Done Act will impact the environment

https://thenarwhal.ca/ontario-get-it-done-act-explainer/

Stop Ford’s latest overreach - the ‘Get it Done’ Act - send a letter

The “Get it Done” Act, introduced on February 20th, is a giant omnibus bill so big Doug Ford’s hoping we wouldn't notice its most offensive policy changes - like dropping environmental assessments.

https://act.leadnow.ca/getitdone-opposition/

I'm Your Heat Pump

A heat pump croons about ‘climatic healing’ in Berkeley musicians’ new song

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2024/02/21/heat-pump-song

Ford introduces bill to protect Enbridge Gas’ profits – at your expense

https://www.cleanairalliance.org/ford-introduces-bill-to-protect-enbridge/

Tell your Toronto City Councillor to fund transit with a commercial parking lot levy

City Council is considering a proposal right now which could be a game-changer for transit funding. At a modest cost of just 1-2¢ per hour per parking spot, this money is a much-needed new source of revenue to improve transit, and help reduce traffic congestion and carbon emissions.

https://www.torontoenvironment.org/parking_levy_2024

Tooker - Le Monde a Bicyclette

If you missed Tooker's memorial last night, watch this 4 min. memorial video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P44I_PBXBAQ

______________________

______________________

EVENTS

Pathways to Peace: a Lifelong Journey

Mon. Mar. 4, 7 p.m. ET

Romero House invites you to this Lecture with Dr Barbara Landau and Shahid Akhtar, Co-Chairs of the Canadian Association of Jews and Muslims. They will share their journeys for peace. This will be a hybrid event. The lecture will take place in person in the parish hall of the Church of St.-Martin-in-the-Fields, 151 Glenlake Avenue, Toronto. It will also be broadcast on Zoom for those who wish to join online.

https://romerohouse.org/2024/01/29/howcroft-lecture-2024/

______________________

______________________

Women4ClimateTO International Women's Day Celebration

Mon. Mar. 4, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET

Toronto City Hall, Members Lounge, Queen and Bay

Join us for an inspiring International Women's Day celebration and meet the members of the 2024 Women4ClimateTO Program!

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/women4climateto-international-womens-day-celebration-tickets-845926477867

______________________

______________________

The Issue With Tissue - a boreal love story

2022, 116 minutes, Documentary - Environmental

The Issue with Tissue - a boreal love story documents the little known, largely untold story of the boreal forest and the Indigenous Peoples who call it home, how it is being clear-cut for the manufacture of toilet paper and that protecting and conserving the boreal is an existential imperative. Playing at Cineplex Theatres across Canada March 4-5. Find a screening near you.

https://ca.demand.film/the-issue-with-tissue/

______________________

______________________

Gitxsan and Gitanyow Resistance to Colonial Mega Projects

Tues. Mar. 5, 8:30 p.m. ET

We know that settler colonialism aims to eliminate Indigeneity, either through incorporating Indigenous people into colonial structures, or forcing access to territory through injunctions and RCMP CIRG-sponsored terror. And at the same time, Indigenous people continue to live their laws, practice collective governance structures that entwine communities with each other and the land, and renew spiritual relationships that defend the sacred. We will try to get a sense of the details of new colonial mega-projects, highlight continued anti-colonial resistance and ways to expand our efforts.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Lq42mv9-Q0-XfOBOrjJkfA#/registration

______________________

______________________

Utility Regulation in a Changing World: Lessons from the U.S. and Canada

Tues. Mar. 5, 3 p.m. ET

Join Ecotrust Canada, the Building Decarbonization Coalition, and the Canadian Climate Institute for a dive into the good, the bad, and the ugly of utility regulation in North America. As climate and equity mandates in states and provinces advance, these policies run headlong into the evolving role of the public utility regulator and utilities' business models. This webinar will explore what is being done to bring utility regulation into the 21st century, with examples from across the U.S. and Canada and an emphasis on the important role of electrification.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_uVJgmQjxQ9Wtgbp3MukLzQ#/registration

______________________

______________________

We're Crashing the Mining Industry's Biggest Awards Gala - Join Us

Tuesday March 5, 5 pm ET

Fairmont Royal York, 100 Front Street, Toronto

Canadian mining kills, destroys and colonizes. Join us and representatives from communities resisting Canadian mining at the world’s largest mining convention to disrupt the industry’s self-congratulatory awards gala. Mining injustice is nothing to celebrate!

https://mininginjustice.org/disruptpdac2024/

______________________

______________________

Cities in Crisis Mode? Migration, Solidarity, and Citizenship in the United States and Europe

Tues. March 5, noon - 1:30 pm ET

What strategies for the inclusion of the illegalized immigrants exist at the urban level? How are they transforming within the current debate? And how do they depend on different legal and administrative frameworks, access to social participation, and constructions of belonging? By comparing cases from the U.S. and Europe, the talk will address the phenomenon and discuss its significance against the backdrop of the current politicization of migration.

https://www.brandeis.edu/cges/news-events/spring-2024/240305-peeck-ho.html

______________________

______________________

Flourishing Families and Resilient Cities

Tues. Mar. 5, 11 a.m. ET

Guest: Ankita Chachra, Senior Fellow at Capita

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_EcCp12cORWm6yAyxhk6C7w#/registration

______________________

______________________

Energy and Affordability

Wed. Mar. 6, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

Doug Ford wants you to pay a higher gas bill. His corporate friends at Enbridge are opposing a new ruling to protect you. He has decided to help them, not you. MPPs Jessica Bell and Peter Tabuns (Toronto-Danforth) and special guests from Environmental Defence and the Clean Air Alliance will discuss how to protect your pocketbook and our climate.

https://www.jessicabellmpp.ca/rsvp_energy_and_affordability

______________________

______________________

Reimagining Systems (of Care) by Us for Us

Wed. Mar. 6, 6 - 8 p.m. ET

Imagining a Toronto where our funds are invested in community and divested from systems of surveillance. The Toronto City Budget has increased funding to the police, again. The TTC has resumed fare inspectors and special constables. Surveillance, and the funds required to maintain it, are expanding. What are our possibilities in a future that diverts those funds to something else? Instead investing in ourselves, in our communities, in each other. What could Toronto be like if we invest in systems of care? A conversation moderated by Robyn Maynard with Panelists Desmond Cole, Butterfly GoPaul, and Rebeena

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Bnr0HJDvRgWOVvK1ZeyBYg#/registration

______________________

______________________

Arts and Culture Right Now - The Walrus Talks at Home

Wed. March 6, 7 - 8 p.m. ET

This event will bring together young Canadian artists and cultural leaders who are shaping the future of arts, activism, and digital innovation. Four speakers will discuss how creativity can promote civic engagement, merge politics with art, and leverage technology for change.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/the-walrus-talks-at-home-arts-and-culture-right-now-tickets-814475687707

______________________

______________________

Reporting on Ukraine During War: The View Two Years On

Wed. March 6, 12:15 - 1:45 pm ET

A discussion with Olga Rudenko, chief editor of award-winning English-language Ukrainian news site The Kyiv Independent, about the challenges of building a new media outlet during the full-scale Russian invasion of Ukraine, covering the war, and investigating corruption in the Ukrainian government at the same time.

https://www.brandeis.edu/cges/news-events/spring-2024/240306-ukrainejournalism.html

______________________

______________________

Heat Pumps 101

Wed. Mar. 6, noon ET

My neighbour just installed a heat pump; what is it, and how does it work? When should I consider purchasing a heat pump? This webinar will discuss everything you need to know about heat pumps. Hosted by the City of Toronto which is committed to providing support to help homeowners get to net zero by 2040.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/heat-pumps-101-tickets-810271502877

______________________

______________________

The State of Democracy in Germany and the US

Thurs., March 7, noon - 1:30 pm ET

Hundreds of thousands took to the streets in Germany in late January after learning about a secret meeting between members of the right-wing extremist Alternative für Deutschland (Alternative for Germany) party and known Neo-Nazis was leaked to have discussed deporting millions of migrants and citizens. Yet, the AfD has been gaining ground across Germany in elections and polls. Meanwhile, former president Donald Trump is gaining ground as challenger to President Biden in November in the United States. Join experts Jan-Werner Müller (Princeton), Christiane Lemke (UNC), and Jeff Anderson (Georgetown) for a discussion of the current state of democracy in Germany and the US.

https://www.brandeis.edu/cges/news-events/spring-2024/240307-panel.html

______________________

______________________

Know Your Rights at Work

Thursday, March 7, 6 - 7:30 pm ET

No matter what your immigration status, workers have basic protections on the job. But if we don’t know our rights and how to defend them, we can miss out on those protections. Learn about your workplace rights under Ontario's Employment Standards Act.

https://workersactioncentre.org/about/events/

______________________

______________________

RADIOACTIVE: The Women of Three Mile Island

Mar 7 - 11 - free viewing online

The film will be available at no charge for video on demand viewing anytime between March 7 and March 11 thanks to an educational grant from the Grassroots Network of the Sierra Club to the Nuclear Free Team.  Radioactive will be available for paid viewings on Apple TV+ and Amazon Prime Video starting on March 12. Please take advantage of this opportunity to see these important films that expose the dangers of nuclear power and the reasons the Sierra Club has opposed nuclear power since the 1970’s.

https://watch.eventive.org/scnuclearfree/play/65dbc80d2f269b00264c9f13

______________________

______________________

Meetings with Ukrainian feminist organizations

Sat. March 9. Noon ET in English https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89323222763?pwd=TUlLemw4Z2lKckY5S0FLK21mSHJtUT09

Mon. March 11, 2 p.m. ET in French https://us06web.zoom.us/j/82795424800?pwd=7vyj_NgszppBcEYe2ULLbho04dkW7Q.x8qfwYkYg0_jJZAG

During these meetings, activists from The Feminist Workshop (Lviv, Ukraine) will talk about the situation for women in Ukraine before and after the Russian invasion.

______________________

______________________

Women & War: World BEYOND War’s 2024 Virtual Film Festival

Mar. 9 - 23

This year’s “Women & War” virtual film festival explores the intersection of women, war, and militarized masculinity.

https://worldbeyondwar.org/2024filmfest/

______________________

______________________

A Call to Action with Chief Na’Moks, Eve Saint, Cedar George-Parker, and Sarah Shamy

Sun. March 10, 4 - 6 pm ET

On April 11th, the Royal Bank of Canada will hold its Annual General Meeting for shareholders in Etobicoke, Ontario. As they have the past two years, Wet’suwet’en and other Indigenous and Black Land Defenders will show up and denounce RBC for funding violence against their people and destruction of their lands. Outside the meeting, and across so-called Canada, we will rally by the thousands in support! You are once again called upon to organize your community to stand in solidarity with the Indigenous representatives, and amp up the pressure on RBC. To find out more, register now for a call with Wet'suwet'en Hereditary Chief Na’Moks, Wet’suwet’en Land Defender Eve Saint, Tsleil-Waututh Land Defender Cedar George-Parker, and Palestinian Youth Movement Organizer Sarah Shamy.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_E5v-F4L1SXuZwB1aHSjZLA#/registration

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/