Greenspiration News & Events: Tax the Rich!

Angela Bischoff - OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Apr 2 11:09:22 EDT 2024

The Carbon Tax Lie

44 min. podcast by Sierra Club of Canada featuring Dr. Louise Comeau and Robb Barnes - they chat about the misinformation on carbon price, how the polarized media debate stifles a real debate on climate policies, and the impact of carbon pricing on immediate air pollution.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/3yB384SYOveNUCRim2ZnIN

No, AI Won’t Outsmart Our Climate Calamity

Quite the opposite. Artificial intelligence devours vast energy while clouding the human wisdom that might save us.

https://thetyee.ca/Analysis/2024/04/01/No-AI-Outsmart-Climate-Calamity/

Canadians agree: Tax the Rich!

A straightforward tax of 1% on wealth over $10 million, 2% over $50 million, and 3% over $100 million would generate $32 billion annually. This simple tax would impact less than 100,000 families nationwide and collect only the tiniest of percentages from their enormous fortunes. Send your message to Ottawa here.

https://www.taxfairness.ca/en/act/take-action/canadians-agree-tax-rich

Car harm: A global review of automobility's harm to people and the environment

Since their invention, cars and automobility have killed 60–80 million people and injured at least 2 billion. Currently, 1 in 34 deaths are caused by automobility. While some people benefit from automobility, nearly everyone—whether or not they drive—is harmed by it.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0966692324000267

Europe’s Nuclear Revival Plans Risk Being Too Little, Too Late

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/europe-s-nuclear-revival-plans-risk-being-too-little-too-late-1.2049731

Nuclear Dinosaurs’ Roam New Brunswick and Ontario

https://www.theenergymix.com/nuclear-dinosaurs-roam-new-brunswick-ontario-as-jurassic-partnership-looms/

Now there are three court challenges against Ontario nuclear waste disposal facility

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2024/03/27/news/three-court-challenges-against-ontario-nuclear-waste-disposal-site

Petition re: nuke waste transportation

We, the undersigned, citizens, residents and Indigenous peoples of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to require the Nuclear Waste Management Organization to demonstrate that it has the consent of residents and communities, including First Nations and Treaty Organizations, along the transportation route and in the region of and downstream of the candidate repository site(s) before selecting a site.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/petitions/en/Petition/Sign/e-4852

Radioactive - the Women of Three Mile Island

The film is available, on demand, from streaming platforms Amazon Prime and Apple+. Watch the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is3jlNhicFY&t=3s

In tarsands country, First Nation with high cancer rates accuses Alberta Energy Regulator of ‘regulated murder’ following tailings spill

https://indiginews.com/features/in-oil-country-first-nation-with-high-cancer-rates-accuses-aer-of-regulated-murder

Reform Gravel Mining Coalition

The Reform Gravel Mining Coalition formed to demand the Ontario government take the actions necessary to protect lives, communities and the environment from the devastating impacts of the gravel mining industry. Partners in the coalition are Environmental Defence, Council of Canadians, Water Watchers, and the Wilderness Committee. Video, petition, more info.

https://www.reformgravelmining.ca/

Do-We-Know-Who-We-Are?

Consider being part of our web-based Community Economy software project for Cataloguing Talents, Goods, Services, Resources & Dreams of the people in your neighbourhood & multihomes worldwide.

http://sites.google.com/site/indigenecommunity/d-participatory-structure/9-do-we-know-who-we-are

______________________

______________________

EVENTS

Magical Activism 2024 w/ Starhawk

Monday April 1, 8:30pm - June 10 · 10pm EDT

Join the Movement: gain practical and magical tools to effectively influence change & build a more just future, together. Guided by renowned witch, author, activist, and permaculture teacher Starhawk, this six-sesssion, ten-week journey invites you to the intersection of magic and activism to explore and strengthen our personal and collective power.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/magical-activism-2024-w-starhawk-tickets-859168826087

______________________

______________________

Bicycling for Everyone • Copenhagen & Barcelona.

Tues. Apr. 2, 11 a.m. ET

With special guests Marianne Weinreich, Copenhagen. • Sílvia Casorrán, Sustainable Mobility, Barcelona.

Register: https://bit.ly/3UHsZLY

______________________

______________________

All-Electric New Buildings: Deep Canvassing Summary Report Release

Tues. Apr. 2, noon ET

Neighbours United's deep canvass team will share their findings and recommendations to communicate effectively with everyday suburban residents about a proposed municipal zero carbon new buildings code. You'll learn how to have productive conversations about all-electric buildings, climate change and getting off gas in new buildings.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwtceCtpjsjHNzMFOcxc5i9nppgQYmo_f_w#/registration

______________________

______________________

Costco: Clean Up Your Credit Card - Campaign Hype Call

Tues. Apr. 2, 8 p.m. ET

We launched our campaign in September to demand that Costco’s credit card partner Citibank stop financing fossil fuels. Since then, we’ve created a movement of 40,000 people who are consistently telling Costco to clean up its credit card, and we’ve generated enough pressure that Costco has acknowledged our demands. Now it's time to turn that acknowledgement into action, to turn up the pressure. https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvcemoqDgqGdKfPHpopWyyWnozUnufpL8w#/registration

______________________

______________________

Multi-Tenant Housing and Co-Living in Toronto

Tues. April 2, 11 a.m. ET

On March 31, 2024 the long-awaited new regulatory framework for multi-tenant (rooming) houses will take effect in the city of Toronto, and it will gradually unfold over the next 3 years. What does this mean for our housing landscape? Hosted by Smart Density.

https://smartdensity.com/our-webinars/

3 min. video on co-living housing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPBhFyCvAvU

______________________

______________________

Speaking of Genocide: The Holocaust, Israel-Palestine, and the War in Gaza since the October 7 attack

Tuesday, April 2, 7 p.m. ET

Presented by Omer Bartov, genocide historian, Samuel Pisar Professor of Holocaust and Genocide Studies at Brown University. This lecture examines the immediate, as well as the deeper roots of the crisis in Israel and Gaza. It also calls for dispelling some of the false analogies that have only led to obfuscation by all parties involved. It suggests that only a clear and dispassionate analysis might help us emerge from the turmoil.

Register to receive the Zoom Webinar link by emailing fims-communications at uwo.ca.

______________________

______________________

Stolen Time

Tues. and Wed. April. 2 and 3, 6:30 p.m.

Bloor Hot Docs (Bloor and Bathurst), Toronto

In Stolen Time, charismatic elder rights lawyer Melissa Miller and hundreds of aggrieved families take on the corporate for-profit nursing-home industry—an industry notorious for its lack of transparency and accountability.

https://hotdocs.ca/whats-on/films/ds-stolen-time

______________________

______________________

Is Carbon Capture a Responsible Solution to Climate Change?

Wed. Apr. 3, 6 p.m. ET

Hybrid event: Online and in person at the Rotman School of Management, 105 Saint George Street, University of Toronto

This debate will critically evaluate the role of carbon capture in the context of Canada’s pursuit of a sustainable and low-carbon future.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/rotman-debate-is-carbon-capture-a-responsible-solution-to-climate-change-tickets-796970910447

______________________

______________________

Is Your Community About To Get Burned? Waste-to-Energy in Canada

Wed. April 3, noon ET

After years of operational and financial failures, excessive pollution, and community pushback, waste-to-energy incinerators largely disappeared from the Canadian landscape. Now, they're back. Incinerators are being sold to local governments as a solution to landfills. However, incinerators lead to increased greenhouse gas emissions, toxic air pollution, taxpayer costs, and missed opportunities to build true zero waste systems that would better serve our communities and environment. We invite environmental NGOs and other activists to join us on Wednesday, April 3 for an expert panel on Canada's incineration threat. Participants will better understand the true emissions impacts of waste-to-energy, learn from cautionary case studies from across Canada, and see how incineration is also failing in Europe.

https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Ymh_wIjISc65h6uPhbNF5w#/registration

______________________

______________________

Ontario Budget Breakdown Town Hall

Wed. Apr. 3, 6 p.m. ET

Join NDP MPP Jessica Bell and the Canadian Centre of Policy Alternatives Ontario for a virtual briefing on the 2024/2025 budget. Find out what’s in the budget, what’s missing and how to get involved in advocating for a fairer Ontario.

https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZYsdeCpqzIuHdMatlcpkFtOXi6VVJciEwIY

______________________

______________________

Canadian Pensions and the Climate Crisis: How does your pension stack up?

Thur. Apr. 4, 1 p.m. ET

Shift's analysis of eleven Canadian pension funds found that pension managers have made incremental progress, but far more work is needed to ensure Canadian pension managers fulfill their fiduciary duty to invest in plan members’ long-term interests and protect Canadians’ retirement security in a pathway aligned with the Paris Agreement goal of limiting global heating to 1.5°C.

https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_NN9lkDiwRGGOCmLD1-HHnQ#/registration

______________________

______________________

Fossil Fools Day of Action Against RBC

Sat. April 6

Take part in a coordinated international day of action to hold RBC accountable for their role in financing genocide and climate chaos. Stand in solidarity with a growing, global movement to support Indigenous Land Defenders by attending an event or hosting your own. Events happening all across the country. Find an event near you.

https://you.leadnow.ca/calendars/fossil-fools-day/

______________________

______________________

Seventh Generation Workshop

Sat. April 6, 2 - 5:30 pm ET

Neighbourhood Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 310 Danforth Avenue, Toronto

This Work That Reconnects workshop invites us to reinhabit time in a saner way as we feel our connection to generations past and future. In supportive community, we will honor our pain for the world, reconnect to active hope, and find clarity around how we can play a part in the self-healing of our planet. The workshop, based in Joanna Macy's Work That Reconnects, is highly interactive, with community ritual, pair and group sharing, and circle singing.

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/seventh-generation-workshop-tickets-836475309167

______________________

______________________

Scarborough Seedy Saturday and Green Fair

Sat. Apr. 6, 10 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. ET

Centre for Immigrant and Community Services, 2330 Midland Ave. (north of the 401), Toronto

Heirloom seeds for sale and trade. Vegetables. Herbs. Flowers. Natives. Annual seed exchange. Gardening booths and advice. Environmental organizations. Green living ideas. Workshops on living sustainably.

https://torontourbangrowers.org/news/scarborough-seedy-saturday-and-green-fair-2

For the best Canadian climate and energy news, visit and subscribe to the Energy Mix newsletter.

http://theenergymix.com/

Democracy Now Daily Show - global peace, justice and enviro news

https://www.democracynow.org/