Greenspirational News: bottled water ban, yoga, rap

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Tue Jan 20 09:53:28 EST 2009

Greenspiration News -- Environment, Health, Justice

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong
to each other."   - Mother Teresa

-
-

For a delightful read, check out Guy Dauncey's eco-story:

My Journey to 2030

- a fictional visit to a post-carbon Vancouver.

http://www.guydauncey.com/

-
-

Obama's Stimulus Bill includes:

$32 billion to transform the nation's energy transmission, distribution,
and production systems by allowing for a smarter and better grid and
focusing investment in renewable technology.

$16 billion to repair public housing and make key energy efficiency
retrofits.

$6 billion to weatherize modest-income homes.

$31 billion to modernize federal and other public infrastructure with
investments that lead to long term energy cost savings;

$10 billion for transit and rail to reduce traffic congestion and gas
consumption.

These are large sums, but they pale away compared to some of the other
expenditures.  Much more detail available at

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/news/2009/01/
summary_american_recovery_and_reinvestment.php

UK Conservatives plans give householders up to £6,500 ($12,000 Cdn)
to improve energy efficiency
Other measures announced include maximising the potential of untapped
renewable energy sources such as waves, tides and biogas.

I wonder if Harper's Stimulus Bill / Budget will include similar
budget items.

Before the politicos decide what to do with your money on January 27
(budget day on Parliament Hill), tell them you want the emphasis on
"eco" in Canada's economy. We've made it easy for you to write to Jim
Flaherty – our federal Minister of Finance – and give him a piece of
your mind.

Feel free to remind him that U.S. president-elect Barak Obama
promised $150 billion for green energy in his country, while the
world is calling Canada a colossal fossil.

Take Action Now: To send a message to Minister Flaherty, go to:
http://e-activist.com/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?
ea.client.id=94&ea.campaign.id=2264

"On January 27, I urge you to consider investing in green
infrastructure by choosing rail and public transit over roads; smart
buildings over inefficient structures; renewable energy over coal and
nuclear; and hybrids over gas-guzzlers. The time for our very own
green revolution is now."

For more information, go to:  http://www.davidsuzuki.org/GreenEconomy/

------

The Green Budget Coalition has outlined their recommendations for the
2009 budget in their "Meeting the Challenge."
English Report>
The Coalition also outlined its ideas for green stimulus
opportunities. More>

-
-

  Cycling and Performing Tour Members Wanted

Location: starting in Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa and Moncton, Canada

The Otesha Project is a youth-run organization that uses
theatre to mobilize young people to make local and global
change through their everyday consumer choices. The cycling
and performing tour offers participants the chance to live
in a mobile sustainable community while giving performances
to high school students and community groups about how to
make sustainability a part of everyday life.

Our 2009 cycling and performing tours are hitting the road
this May. Check them out at http://www.otesha.ca

Learning tours, bilingual tours, one month, two months -
the possibilities are endless!

If you or someone you know is interested in applying to go
on a tour, now is the time.

This year we are offering 7 tours departing from four
different cities across Canada: Vancouver, Calgary, Ottawa
and Moncton. For more information or to apply go to
http://www.otesha.ca or email applications at otesha.ca

Tell your neighbors, tell your dentist, tell your school
friends and coworkers.

Tell the World.
http://www.otesha.ca

-
-

Yet Another “Environmentally Friendly” Car

Cars were once marketed as a hygienic alternative to horses. Now “new
cars”
are marketed as “cleaner” and “sustainable”. From the “no-emission”
hybrids to the “electric marvels”, car companies never stop. Their
newest
attempt is the soon-to-be-released “compressed air car”, which is
cunningly
marketed as a “threat” to oil companies and hence something that must
find
a soft spot in the heart of every activist… Nevertheless, the non-energy
problems created by cars are still there – while the energy ones are
simply
displaced in some external air compressor. Another example of how car
companies
are really struggling to find a foothold in their slippery road.

From: World Car Free News

-
-

Take Action -  Ontario Bottled Water Ban!

Right now a number of organizations including the Polaris Institute,
CUPE Ontario and the Council of Canadians, are promoting a petition
urging the province of Ontario to:
·         Ban the provision and sale of bottled water in all
provincial public space

·         Improve access to tap water in all provincially owned and
operated spaces

·         Ensure clean, safe drinking water for all residents of Ontario

Sign the Petition Now!

Take action now by signing the petition – visit http://
www.insidethebottle.org/petition-ban-bottled-water-and-turn-tap-
ontario-0

Thanks,
The Inside the Bottle Team
www.insidethebottle.org

-
-

How To Use Herbs, Nutrients, and Yoga in Mental Health Care
(WW Norton, 2009, ISBN 978-0-393-70525-6, hardcover, 6 x 9, 441
pages, US $34.95)

Drs. Richard P. Brown, Patricia L. Gerbarg, and Philip R. Muskin,
internationally renowned holistic mental health experts and pioneers
of CAM (Complementary and Alternative Medicine), are the authors of a
highly praised new reference book for healthcare professionals and
the public. Offers safe and innovative solutions for ADD/ADHD,
depression, bipolar disorder, stress, anxiety, post-traumatic stress
disorder, fibromyalgia, PMS, menopause, sexual dysfunction, the aging
brain, substance abuse and more.

-
-

SSRIs - S.S.R.Lies

a hip-hop answer to the child-destroying industry of modern
psychiatry and drugging kids.

Listen to the rap song at: http://www.naturalnews.com/
SSRIs_S_S_R_Lies.html

-
-

A Doctor's Toxic Shock

One doctor's personal experience with antidepressants.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?
res=9C0CE5DD133EF937A35752C0A9629C8B63

-
-

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in