No Nuke News

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed May 13 10:37:56 EDT 2009

  No Nuke News

-

Hey anti-nuke folks,

It is expected that some time this June, ON Energy Minister George
Smitherman may sign a contract for up to 3500 megawatts of nuclear
energy to be built at Darlington, which according to Moody’s
Investor Services will cost taxpayers about $26 billion. This price
does not include waste disposal, plant decommissioning, insurance,
security, health risks, impacts of mining, etc.

We are doing everything we can to reach Smitherman’s constituents in
the hopes that we can convince the Minister that signing this blank
cheque will be bad for his political career. Does he really want to
be remembered as the Minister that lead us down the nuclear sinkhole?

Can you help us distribute leaflets? http://
www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/Nukes_Money.pdf  If you’ve never done a
leaflet blitz before, they’re fun. People appreciate the valuable
info that we share with them as most people are anti-nuke.

Let me know if you can attend any of the following blitzes.
And if you have questions, don’t hesitate to contact me.
angela at cleanairalliance.org

- Thur. May 14th, 3:30 – 5:30 – College Subway Station – Yonge
and College/Carlton
- Sat. May 16th, 10 a.m. – noon. – St. Lawrence Market (Jarvis and
Front St.)
- Tues. May 19th, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. – Riverdale Farmers’ Market
(in Riverdale Park, Cabbagetown)
- Sat. May 23rd, noon – 2 p.m. – Summerhill Liquor Store (just
south of Summerhill subway station on Yonge)
- Wed. May 27th, 3:30 – 5:30 p.m. – Wellesley and Church St.
- Sat. May 30th, 10 – noon – Brick Works Farmers’ Market (in the
Don Valley, north of Castlefrank subway)

We’re also looking for a few people that are up for doing door-to-
door distribution. We’ve almost completed the entire riding, but
there are a few gaps that need filling. If you can help with this let
me know. Timing is flexible.

Thanks for all you help – we’re getting the word out!
-angela

-
-

Ontario’s Energy Future: Nuclear or Renewable?
A community forum – all welcome!

- Friday, May 22, 7 p.m.
- St. Lawrence Community Rec Centre, Multi-purpose Room
(on the Esplanade between Parliament and Sherbourne)
- Free
- Accessible venue

Confirmed speakers:
Jack Gibbons, Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Shawn-Patrick Stensil, Greenpeace

Invited speaker:
MPP George Smitherman

Hosted by: Residents for Green Energy
For more info: 416 604 5783, ss.how11 at gmail.com

-
-

Wind Power Installations Up 29 Percent in 2008

Global wind capacity increased an estimated 27,051 megawatts in 2008,
with cumulative installations up almost 29 percent. The United States
led in new installations, surpassing Germany to rank first in
cumulative capacity and electricity generation from wind.

This new report provides data since 1980 on global and national
cumulative capacity in the top wind-producing countries and sheds
light on key financial trends in the sector.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/6102?emc=el&m=239273&l=4&v=8ce765a66e

-
-

Why Ontario needs a 21st Century vision for energy

In spite of Ontario’s new Green Energy Act, the McGuinty government
plans to spend almost $30 billion to refurbish and expand its nuclear
plants. In my opinion, this, too, reveals a 20th Century mentality
that will not only affect the health and safety of Ontarians, but
also waste their hard earned dollars and what little time we have
left to fight Global Warming.

In spite of the denials of some, humanity sits at a crucial
crossroads. We can either embrace the new or cling to the obsolete.
Those who want to spend billions of dollars on nuclear, coal, and
even gas -- the Non-Renewable Three -- are looking backward to ways
they know and have become dependent on, rather than stretching their
minds to what should lie ahead.

http://rabble.ca/news/2009/05/why-ontario-needs-21st-century-vision-
energy

-
-

Obama Proposes End to Oil, Gas, Nuclear Industry Tax Breaks

President Barack Obama wants to end $26 billion in oil and gas
industry tax breaks, calling them 'unjustifiable loopholes' in the
tax system that other companies do not get. Obama's proposed fiscal
2010 budget, details of which were released Thursday, also more
clearly spells out his intention to shut down a proposed nuclear
waste dump at Yucca Mountain in Nevada and calls for ending a
government subsidy that helps utilities license and plan for new
nuclear power plants.

http://www.truthout.org/050809L?n

-
-

Slowly Decay

There is a secret place:
Beyond the barbed wire,
Electrical fences,
Security checkpoints,
And concrete barricades.

Where poison’s lay
Below the emerald cesspool
In barrels ten by ten,
Slowly decaying,
While stering at the sterile, bright,
White lights

And there they will stay
Long after the last of our generation
And our children’s children’s generation
Have died and rotted in the ground.

They will remain
For a millennia of generations
As they bear witness
To the fallout of our human error.

- Kevin Chen

-
-

Darlington nuclear plan draws criticism

Opponents of the construction of new nuclear reactors at Darlington
unfurled a banner and handed out pamphlets at an Ontario Power
Generation (OPG) information session in Peterborough yesterday.

Ontario Power Generation states it doesn't have a cost estimate for
the new nuclear reactors for Darlington .
The environmental assessment is only looking at the reactors, not the
environmental impacts of uranium mining, producing the reactor fuel
and disposing of the reactor fuel waste, said John Etches, with Safe
and Green Energy Peterborough.
"This is an absolute sham," he said. "They are not fully looking at
other socially responsible ways to produce energy for the province.
That is so outrageous because alternatives are known.
"It's an irresponsible expenditure of public funds to go down the
nuclear road again."
http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1554553

-
-

The Downside Of Nuclear Energy

For the sake of long-term, sustainable growth - nuclear offers little
more than high-priced energy, a wealth of environmental headaches,
and fat campaign contributions in Washington.
And it sure as hell won't help consumers with electricity costs either.

http://www.greenchipstocks.com/articles/nuclear+power-washington-
uranium/392

-
-
Another Warning for Ontario

Another warning today from across the pond that the Ontario
government should dump its plans to buy a new prototype reactor.  A
leaked memo from the Finnish nuclear regulator reveals that it may
halt the construction of AREVA’s prototype EPR reactor because of a
lack progress in the design of reactors electronic safety control
systems.

This is the latest in a long line of scandals that have plagued the
Olkiluoto 3 project, which was supposed to be the flagship of the so-
called nuclear renaissance.  Despite the nuclear lobby’s promise
that new reactors would be on-time and on-budget, Olkiluoto 3 is now
three years behind schedule and 50% over budget.

We can expect the same in Ontario where the McGuinty government is
considering buying one of three unproven reactor designs - AREVA’s
EPR design, AECL’s Advanced Candu and Westinghouse’s AP-1000.
None of these reactors have operating prototypes anywhere in the
world, so buying any of them is a huge gamble.

http://blogs.greenpeace.ca/2009/05/06/another-warning-for-ontario/

-
-

Green Job Creation
Canadian Labour Congress

It has been calculated that it takes 100 workers in a nuclear plant
or 116 workers in a coal-fired plant to generate 1,000 gigawatt-hours
of electricity per year. Yet, 248 would be employed in a solar
thermal facility or 542 in a wind farm to generate the same amount of
electricity.

http://action.clc-ctc.ca/en/Green_Job_Creation

-
-

Angela Bischoff
Campaign Manager
Ontario Clean Air Alliance
Tel: 416 926 1907 x 246
625 Church Street, #402
Toronto, ON M4Y 2G1
angela at cleanairalliance.org
www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca
www.cleanairalliance.org
Our Facebook Group
Sign Our Petition

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join our email list by emailing us at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell us what city/country you live in