Greenspiration News: Our leader, who art in Ottawa

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Thu May 12 00:27:41 EDT 2011

Greenspiration News

---------------------------------------
Our leader, who art in Ottawa,
Hollow be thy promises.
Thy dictatorship come,
Thy will be done
In the House of Commons as it is in the Senate.

Give us this day our daily oil spill,
And forgive us our votes for the NDP,
As we forgive the dolts who voted for you.
And lead us not into another election,
but deliver us from democracy.

Amen

- BlueQuill
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confession, and prayer, to Mother Earth

http://www.timesrecord.com/articles/2011/04/22/opinion/commentaries/doc4db1a2d783175786706504.txt

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

May 14 – National Day of Action for Electoral Reform

Only 40 percent of Canadians supported our government in the May 2 election, and yet we wound up with a Conservative majority. The fact that Stephen Harper now controls Parliament after gaining only 1.8 percent more of the popular vote than in 2008 is a testament to the arbitrary and antiquated nature of Canada’s Parliamentary system.

We need an electoral process in which everybody’s vote counts. We need a government that represents us.

National Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=224515260896931

Montreal — Berri Sq. 2 p.m.
Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=118523158230228
Ottawa — Parliament Hill, 2 p.m.
Vancouver — Vancouver Art Gallery, 2 p.m.
Toronto — Queen’s Park, 2 p.m.
Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=113480302070885
(all times local)
Calgary — Harry Hays Building 2 p.m.
Event: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=213162505374322

http://nationaldayofaction.ca/
#dayofaction
@dayofaction2011
dayofaction2011 at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vote splitting allowed the Tories to come up through the middle

http://www.facebook.com/notes/matt-peters/6201-reasons-to-get-frustrated/2023546634352

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Election 2011: Maude Barlow on the election results

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/council-canadians/2011/05/election-2011-maude-barlow-election-results

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

We are a majority

On May 2nd, a clear majority of us voted for change. 9 million cast their ballots for parties that share much in common. 9 million voted to strengthen our democracy, protect our environment and increase our equality.

Yet, because these parties split the vote in riding after riding, Prime Minister Harper has gained near total control of our government with the support of less than 6 million voters.1The only thing that can check his power is the shared voices of Canadians like you.

Right now, we need to send Prime Minister Harper a clear message that although he has a majority of seats, he does not enjoy majority support. In his acceptance speech, he said “...we must be the government of all Canadians, including those who did not vote for us.” We expect him to follow through with this commitment, and we will be here, growing stronger every day to hold him to account to the agenda of a majority of voters:

http://leadnow.ca/majority

Take the first step by telling Prime Minister Harper that his majority of seats does not give him free reign over our country, and that together we will hold him accountable:

http://leadnow.ca/majority

P.S. - See how the opposition parties and Conservatives compare in relation to the Leadnow community's priorities: http://leadnow.ca/en/party-positions

[1] Vancouver Sun: Vote-splitting saw Tories claim new seats (http://www.vancouversun.com/news/decision-canada/Vote+splitting+Tories+claim+seats+analysis/4718894/story.html)
[2] CBC: Majority rules - just about everything - http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/05/03/cv-election-weston-majority.html

Leadnow.ca is an independent, youth-led advocacy organization that helps Canadians of all generations participate in their democracy.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadians for Tax Fairness

Sign the petition calling for a stop to the corporate tax cuts

http://www.taxfairness.ca/civicrm/profile/create?gid=9&reset=1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Wave against the Pave!

The grassroots movement for better transit not freeways.

http://stopthepave.org/
http://canadians.org/energy/issues/climatejustice/local/index.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic.

http://www.guernicamag.com/blog/2652/noam_chomsky_my_reaction_to_os/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Britain’s Royal Wedding: A Big Day For The Global Oligarchy

A Celebration of the Dictatorship of Global Capital over Democracy

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=24538

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Leave it in the Ground: Sign the petition against Arctic Offshore Drilling

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/leave-it-in-the-ground-statement-against-arctic-offshore-drilling/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Canada lone holdout in reporting greenhouse gas emissions

Canada has once again missed an international deadline for submitting an inventory of its greenhouse gas emissions to the United Nations. While 42 governments, including from earthquake-stricken Japan, have submitted their data on emissions of the heat-trapping gases that warm the atmosphere, Canada is the only one behind schedule in reporting to the UN's climate change secretariat as part of its international obligations under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.

http://www.canada.com/technology/Canada+lone+holdout+reporting+greenhouse+emissions/4760090/story.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Introducing The Tooker Gomberg Scholarship
University of Lethbridge

Granted to the graduate student that most adeptly uses public controversy to advance the public good
12 min. video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hdzel5ofaU&feature=channel_video_title

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in