T.O. Greenspiration Events: Beyond the Ballot Box

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun May 29 22:15:58 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

---------------------------------------

Bike Month is here! Check out all the events here: http://wx.toronto.ca/festevents.nsf/Cycling?openform

Bike to Work Group Commute

Mon. May 30
The ride leaves from various start locations at 7:00am and meets at Yonge and Bloor for 7:30am. From there the ride heads to Nathan Phillips Square for 8:00am to enjoy a complimentary pancake breakfast and other festivities.

The Group Commute was the event that started it all. Bike Month began as bike to work day, and the annual Group Commute and free pancake breakfast remains the marquee event of Bike Month.

The Group Commute also marks the beginning of Toronto's Bike Month events. These events are community-driven and take place City-wide.
Browse upcoming Bike Month events.
Bike breakfasts, bike group rides, bike maintenance workshops, bike art, bike movie nights, and more fun on 2 wheels.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Speak up for better transit

On Monday May 30th the City's Planning & Growth Management Committee is meeting at City Hall.
The Committee will be discussing two very important public transit issues including "Improving Public Transit on Sheppard Ave East" and "Improving Public Transit and Traffic Flow on Finch Ave West."
We need people to speak up for more and better public transit at this meeting!

Visit www.TTCriders.ca for more information and to find out how to register to speak.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dandyhorse Magazine Launch Party

Mon. May 30, 8 p.m.
Gladstone Hotel, Queen St. W.
$10 ($3 cover, $7 for the magazine)

MORE INFO HERE:
http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/dandyhorse-spring-2011-official-launch-party-at-the-gladstone-hotel
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=208318122522055

dandyhorse Volume 4, Issue 1 is a bossy beauty!

Please also considering getting a gift subscription for a friend: dandyhorsemagazine.com/subscribe to help us keep publishing... We need your support!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beyond the Ballot box: Strategizing for the next 4 years!

Public Forum on the Federal Election

Mon. May 30, 6.30 to 9.30 pm
Thomas Lounge, Ryerson

Purposes of the forum:
1.To debrief on the federal election,
2. To make sense of the new politial reality;
3. To strategize for transformative change.

Speakers
Judy Rebick,  Writer/Activist
Peggy Nash, MP Parkdale-High Park
Rathika Sitsabaiesan, MP Scarborough-Rouge River
Pamela Palmater, Centre for Indigenous Governance, Ryerson University
Adam Shedletzky, Co-founder of leadnow.ca
Grace Edward Galabuzi, Dept of Political Science & Public Administration

The forum will be moderated by Winnie Ng, Gindin Chair and Rodney Dierlus, VP Equity, RSU
Light refreshment will be provided.

Co-sponsored by
CAW-Sam Gindin Chair in Social Justice & Democracy
Ryerson Students Union
Ryerson Faculty Association
Rabble.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Transformative Learning Centre presents

Nature, Heart and Wisdom in the Shamanic Tradition - with Eliot Cowan

Monday May 30, door opens 7:30 p.m., Lecture 8:00--10:30 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W., Auditorium, Main floor
Donation $20/person, $10-students and unwaged

Times of change succeed in getting our attention. Whether we react from fear or from the heart determines our stance. Shamanic traditions are uniquely positioned to help guide us in times of change. Their guidance shows us how to live, how to be, how to find purpose, how to thrive and how to rediscover what is truly important.

To Register for events with Eliot Cowan visit:  psmontario.evenbrite.com
For more info contact Mai Duong, psmontario at gmail.com,  416-238-9924

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Call Out for a Public Meeting to resist the federal gov't

Mon. May 30 (Proposed day of the Throne Speech)  6:00 PM.
Christie Pits (In the field to the right of the path going into the park from the subway).

This meeting will be held to discuss how we can best resist the federal government here in Toronto. It is likely that the federal government will be coming out with legislation over the next five years that will cause outrage amongst people in Toronto with democratic and compassionate values. The federal government today has a very exclusive sense of Canadian nationalism. For this reason it will be important to create a campaign to give a political voice to all those excluded from that vision of Canada.

Proposed Agenda
• Do we need a new organization focused on confronting the federal government?
• If not, how can we coordinate our existing initiatives to fight back?
• If so, what form would a new organization take?
• What are the first priorities to address as a community?
• What actions do we need to take to address our priority issues?
• Next meeting, if any.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Growing Good Food Jobs Forum

Tuesday, May 31 · 7:00pm - 8:30pm
8th floor Party Room, Hugh Garner Co-op, 550 Ontario St, Toronto

Can Toronto's food scene flourish? We think so.Already growing leaps and bounds, the food sector provides one of eight Toronto jobs. Innovative businesses and non-profits are leading community economic development and providing new work to the City, while promoting a local, sustainable food system in which opportunities are more accessible.

Join us for a discussion with key leaders from the area's food sector to look at what's happening, what's being built and what kind of policies and projects could move us even further.

Speakers: Sri Sethuratnam, Michael Wolfson, Voula Halliday

The forum is open to your questions and comments. It's $5, or just we'll throw in a Food Forward membership fr just $10. No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=188457417868689

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Home is Where the Heat Is

Tues. May 31. 7 p.m.
Metro Hall, Room 314 (John and King)

Post Carbon Toronto in collaboration with the Toronto Zeitgeist Movement presents an evening's investigation into what can be done on the home front. Whether we are talking about our creature comforts, pocketbook, or greenhouse gasses, our homes are central to the issue.

Greg Allen, David Elfstrom and Peter Shepherd are our presenters.  Between them they have decades of learning and experience in the realms of energy efficiency and home energy retrofits.   Whether you are a homeowner, planning to be a homeowner, or simply interested in what can be done, this event promises to be a "must see".

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Independent Civilian Review Into Matters Relating to the G20 Summit - Public Hearings

The Independent Civilian Review Into Matters Relating to the G20 Summit will hold hearings for individual members of the public, organizations, and other stakeholders to provide their views and opinions on the following question:

WHAT ROLE SHOULD CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT PLAY WITH RESPECT TO THE POLICING OF MAJOR EVENTS?

The details of the dates, times, and locations of the hearings is as follows:

Hearing Day #1	Wednesday, June 1, 2011	5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Metro Hall	55 John Street 	Toronto, ON M5V 3C6

Hearing Day #2	Monday, June 6, 2011		5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Etobicoke Civic Centre	399 The West Mall		Toronto, ON M1P 4N7

Hearing Day #3	Monday, June 13, 2011		5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Scarborough Civic Centre	150 Borough Drive		Toronto, ON M9C 2Y2

To find out more about the hearings, or to apply to speak at the hearing, go to http://www.g20review.ca/docs/g20-hearing_submissionform.pdf to access the Submission Form.

Please note that the hearings will be open to the public.
http://www.g20review.ca/hearings.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Leadership, social innovation, and diversity: A dialogue

Wednesday, June 1, 12 – 2 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation (Annex), 720 Bathurst Street, boardroom 1 (2nd floor)
free!

Dialogue and storytelling can catalyze shifts in how we imagine ourselves and others as leaders. What does it mean to you to be a leader and social innovator in a diverse city? Join us for this lunch dialogue. We'd like to hear your leadership perspectives.
Through a series of dialogues, DiverseCity Perspectives is inviting organizations and communities to stretch and re-shape how we think about leaders and leadership. In this session, you will take part in a facilitated leadership dialogue, an engagement tool that you can apply in your networks. You will receive resources on how to organize a dialogue of your own, as well as tips on diversifying leadership from the DiverseCity initiative, a 2010 Vital Idea.
For more information contact annahid at socialinnovation.ca
Event listing: http://socialinnovation.ca/event/leadership-social-innovation-diversity-dialogue
DiverseCity: The Greater Toronto Leadership Project is a joint initiative of Maytree and the Greater Toronto CivicAction Alliance that aims to accelerate prosperity in the Toronto region by enabling new, diverse voices and perspectives to emerge. www.diversecitytoronto.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

 Night of the Forest: LEAF's Annual Celebration and Fundraiser

Purchase Advance Tickets - $35 each
Thur. June 2, 7 pm to midnight
Steam Whistle Brewery
$35 advance, $40 at the door; group rates also available

The NIGHT OF THE FOREST welcomes you to reflect upon LEAF's contribution to the urban forest movement over the past decade and a half and to celebrate our accomplishments and future directions

Musical Guests: Gentleman Reg, Poplar Pines and Music at the Barns

Featuring: Amazing door prize ($500 VIA Rail voucher), amazing silent auction items, free hors d'oeuvres, cash bar, indoor urban forest with LIVING trees and shrubs and more...

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

> Vigil outside Munk School for those killed at Barrick's Tanzanian Mine
>
> Fri. June 3, 6 - 8:30pm
> Munk School of Global Affairs, 1 Devonshire Pl.
>
> You are invited to commemorate the lives of those killed in the North Mara Mine: Emanual Magige, 27; Chacha Mwasi, 25; Chacha Ngoka, 26; Chawali Bhoke, 26; Mwikwabe Marwa, 35. As families have been blocked from mourning due to the thefts of bodies and intimidation, we will be honouring the lives of these individuals at the Munk School of Global Affairs, newly branded by the Munk Foundation, a body formed by Barrick Gold Chairman Peter Munk.
>
> We will carry out the commemoration at 1 Devonshire Place and from there will have a small funeral procession walk ending at 315 Bloor Street West, the construction site of the new Munk School of Global Affairs.
>
> PLEASE WEAR MOURNING ATTIRE
> For more information about the recent events in North Mara, see:
>
> Barrick's Bodysnatchers: Wanton killings, criminalization, and degradation continue at the North Mara Mine in Tanzania
>
> Bodies of men shot at Barrick mine stolen and dumped by police: families
>
> Lissu, six others in court
>
> Susana Caxaj,
>> Mining Injustice Solidarity Network, member
>> solidarityreponse.net

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Connecting People with Plants

Sat June 4, 10am-3pm
at the Humber Arboretum and Centre for Urban Ecology, 205 Humber College Blvd.
The Humber Arboretum and Etobicoke Master Gardeners are putting together this first annual free community event including speaker sessions, educational tours, nature walks, children's programming, plant sale, and more.

http://www.etobicoke.mgoi.ca/Events.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sustainable Self-care Practices for Activists & Community Workers

Saturday June 4, 1:00 – 4:30pm
Location TBA
ASL interpretation provided
$10 - $50 sliding scale - No one turned away for lack of funds

As social justice and social service workers we are continually exposed to the trauma and oppression of others, often while we work to heal these same traumas in ourselves and our communities. This trauma-laden context calls us to find sustainable ways of doing the work.

This workshop will support people who work with communities dealing with intimate and social trauma (oppression) be more effective and resilient in the wholeness of our lives.

Through discussion, reflection and embodied/somatic practices, we will explore: oppression as social trauma; how internalized dominance & internalized oppression show up in our bodies & communities, working with situations that trigger us, increasing our visceral sense of mutual trust/allyship, honoring our established collective survival strategies while expanding our repertoire of creative responses to trauma. We will practice using “emotional first aid” tools for soothing, calming and centering triggered states, and explore some longer-term trauma-healing principles & practices to prevent burn-out and support personal healing.

Participants will take away practical tools that support awareness, creativity and choice for collective healing and social justice.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=169554656435925

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Housing sought for mature man – June 1

Mature, responsible environmentalist seeking room in house with shared kitchen, or bachelor apartment, available for rent in the vicinity of Dupont / Christie / Bloor / Spadina.  Must be at ground floor level (or accessible by elevator, low-rise preferred). Please send leads to: greenspi at web.ca.  Or call me and I can give more details: 416 260 2080 x 1. Thanks.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Save Toronto's Environmental Programs

City Hall has launched a major Service Review on how city services are delivered, who pays for them, and where we can find efficiencies. The review is asking us to fill in a survey and to rank services provided by the City. Note that you can indicate that all City Services are necessary to the City - you do not actually have to chose between programs.

This review will be used to dramatically reduce the services the city offers, including environmental services that protect human and environmental health.

Visit www.torontoservicereview.ca, take the City's Services Review survey and let them know Environmental Programs are necessary for our City!

City Hall wants you to identify which:
City services and programs should be cut
City services will have new or higher user fees (including transit fares and the costs of recreation programs for our children),
City services to sell off to private companies (eg. water and sewage system).
The services review is being conducted through a survey. They survey asks you if you think Environmental Programs are "necessary" to the City. Environmental Programs range from the Climate Change Action Plan to the Lead in Drinking Water Mitigation Program and are vital to our health and our economy.

This review will affect Toronto's environmental programs for years to come -- programs we have spent decades building. There are very limited opportunities for public input.

Get involved!
Take the Survey and let the City know Environmental Programs are necessary. Take the survey here.
Call your Councillor and let her/him know that you want our Environmental Programs protected because they help save lives by reducing smog and air pollution, protect the environment, save taxpayers money by saving water and energy, and create good green local jobs. Find your Councillor's phone and email here (or call 311).
Visit the City website to learn about the review process

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fundraising Dinner - Canadian Boat to Gaza - rsvp now

Thursday, June 9 · 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Friend's House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
Cost: $25-$50 a plate

Guest Speakers:
James Loney, writer and Christian Peacemaker Teams
Suzanne Weiss, Holocaust Survivor and Activist for Palestinian Freedom
Robert Massoud, Activist for Palestinian Rights, Beit Zatoun

* write to families in Gaza expressing your support.
* Musical Entertainment by Artists: Maria Kasstan, Kimberley Howell, and Common Thread Community Choir
* Middle Eastern menu

FUNDRAISING DINNER for one of The Tahrir’s Notable Participants, Lyn Adamson. Goal to bring medical supplies and End the Blockade.

Please RSVP to 416-596-7328
Sponsored by Peaceworks Canada
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165041353559637

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in